Author Topic: Sky, Virgin or BT?  (Read 37025 times)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
Re: Sky, Virgin or BT?
« Reply #625 on: Wednesday 3 June 2020, 04:24:09 PM »
any way to lock in a reduction on virgin prices other than threatening to leave?  i'm having my f***ing eyes taken out and have been for years but threats to leave are empty as i'll not take the drop from the 200mb speed i've currently got to the sub 100s which it seems the competition can only offer :/

Maybe say you've been furloughed and may have issues paying in the future so may have to cancel?

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #626 on: Wednesday 3 June 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
any way to lock in a reduction on virgin prices other than threatening to leave?  i'm having my f***ing eyes taken out and have been for years but threats to leave are empty as i'll not take the drop from the 200mb speed i've currently got to the sub 100s which it seems the competition can only offer :/

Maybe say you've been furloughed and may have issues paying in the future so may have to cancel?

thought of that aye, will probs say that and sky have a v good offer on atm that could more than half my bill tbh (but the speeeeeeeeeds :anguish:)
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
  • Faster than a cannonball
« Reply #627 on: Wednesday 3 June 2020, 07:09:13 PM »
Moved house and did the homemove thing. Fibre swapped without a hitch. Have to wait until June 1st at the earliest before an engineer will be able to come inside my home though as we've no dish.

Informed by Sky today that they cannot provide Sky TV at the new house. Virgin also not available here.

Anyone have experience with IPTV? The completely legal kind of course. PM me with any info please.
How can you not get Sky?

Massive trees out the back.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #628 on: Wednesday 3 June 2020, 08:35:42 PM »
Moved house and did the homemove thing. Fibre swapped without a hitch. Have to wait until June 1st at the earliest before an engineer will be able to come inside my home though as we've no dish.

Informed by Sky today that they cannot provide Sky TV at the new house. Virgin also not available here.

Anyone have experience with IPTV? The completely legal kind of course. PM me with any info please.
How can you not get Sky?

Oh right.
Sky are on about doing services online though and scrapping their mini dishes. Obviously people in rural areas will likely still need them.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #629 on: Thursday 4 June 2020, 06:22:10 AM »

How can you not get Sky?

Oh right.
Sky are on about doing services online though and scrapping their mini dishes. Obviously people in rural areas will likely still need them.

Aye you'd think the technology would be more advanced so a tree wouldn't stop you from getting TV like.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #630 on: Thursday 4 June 2020, 09:37:07 AM »

How can you not get Sky?

Oh right.

Aye you'd think the technology would be more advanced so a tree wouldn't stop you from getting TV like.
Place a torch on an object near a wall with the light pointing at the wall then go to the other side of the wall and see if you can see the light from the torch.

This is the same principle as a sky dish receiving the signal from a satellite though on a different part of the spectrum at a very different wavelength etc.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #631 on: Thursday 4 June 2020, 09:41:48 AM »
Aye. Just mad how we sent two people to space a few days ago and I can't get Sky Atlantic because of a tree. :lol:

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #632 on: Thursday 4 June 2020, 09:44:19 AM »
Aye. Just mad how we sent two people to space a few days ago and I can't get Sky Atlantic because of a tree. :lol:
Just get nowtv

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #633 on: Thursday 4 June 2020, 10:09:25 AM »
All my TV comes via the internet now, has done for years. Keep some DVDs for when your broadband goes down :lol:

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #634 on: Thursday 4 June 2020, 10:53:47 AM »
All my TV comes via the internet now, has done for years. Keep some DVDs for when your broadband goes down :lol:
Same, my internet never goes down but I've got unlimited internet on my phone anyway.  It's weird as I thought there would be some kind of cap but when I moved in here for example it took over a month for the internet to start working as they needed to run a new cable under the drive and I used just my phone tethering for that period and no problems at all I get about 40 MBPS down on the phone on 4g.  I had everything running through my phone and absolutely no bother.  If it was a bit faster I would probably sack off the internet and just use my phone but my internet connection is 350MBPS.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #635 on: Thursday 4 June 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
When 5G is more common you won't really need home broadband.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #636 on: Thursday 4 June 2020, 11:22:08 AM »
No need to have broadband if we're all dead I guess.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #637 on: Thursday 4 June 2020, 11:22:25 AM »

True but still a long way until it's reached that stage.  5G is much more affected by interference for example.

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #638 on: Saturday 6 June 2020, 04:10:11 PM »
Virgin send me a price increase. Contact them immediately and end up with a cheaper price than I was happy to pay if they had just left me alone :lol:

2 years running now... wonder how much they want to lose next year :lol:

Offline chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #639 on: Tuesday 9 June 2020, 01:59:19 PM »
Can I mirror two TV's together so that the picture and volume is synced together wirelessly ?
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #640 on: Tuesday 9 June 2020, 03:03:04 PM »
Virgin send me a price increase. Contact them immediately and end up with a cheaper price than I was happy to pay if they had just left me alone :lol:

What did you say? Threatening to leave seems a bit empty since they’re really the only option for fibre broadband without a phone line (where I live anyway).

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #641 on: Tuesday 9 June 2020, 03:40:05 PM »
Can I mirror two TV's together so that the picture and volume is synced together wirelessly ?

Wireless HDMI transmitters are iffy.

What your best doing is splitting signal from source and then running it over powerline's in house as long wiring is decent and then converting it back to hdmi signal.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #642 on: Tuesday 9 June 2020, 03:41:15 PM »

What did you say? Threatening to leave seems a bit empty since they’re really the only option for fibre broadband without a phone line (where I live anyway).

i tried yesterday and got absolutely f*** all out of them again, went with a £15 saving by getting rid of tv inc. bt sports that i never use

could get sky for half the price but that'd be dropping from a 200mbps top speed to 70mbps or so

we only stream stuff, hardly ever watch terrestrial tv so just can't take that risk

Sleep now in the fire

Offline chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #643 on: Tuesday 9 June 2020, 03:57:49 PM »

Wireless HDMI transmitters are iffy.

What your best doing is splitting signal from source and then running it over powerline's in house as long wiring is decent and then converting it back to hdmi signal.

Cheers, seams a bit pricey at first glance but do some research.
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #644 on: Tuesday 9 June 2020, 08:11:13 PM »

i tried yesterday and got absolutely f*** all out of them again, went with a £15 saving by getting rid of tv inc. bt sports that i never use

could get sky for half the price but that'd be dropping from a 200mbps top speed to 70mbps or so

we only stream stuff, hardly ever watch terrestrial tv so just can't take that risk

Interesting. They called me today and knocked another £7 a month off letting me keep the TV minus BT sport which I don't care about. So £20 a month off more or less. Happy with that.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #645 on: Wednesday 10 June 2020, 04:24:00 AM »
You lot get ripped off to buggery on this stuff.  £20 gets me 100Mb internet, full TV thing with movies and every PL game live in HD as well as NBA and other sports.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #646 on: Wednesday 10 June 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
You lot get ripped off to buggery on this stuff.  £20 gets me 100Mb internet, full TV thing with movies and every PL game live in HD as well as NBA and other sports.

korea was the same, absolute pennies for internet the likes of which i'll never see in this shithole

Sleep now in the fire

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #647 on: Wednesday 10 June 2020, 11:10:13 AM »

Interesting. They called me today and knocked another £7 a month off letting me keep the TV minus BT sport which I don't care about. So £20 a month off more or less. Happy with that.

I just rang and said I’ve had an email saying my bill is going up from £19pcm to £27.30pcm for 100meg and I’m not paying it but happy to negotiate. Two minutes later they said are you happy to stay with us for 12 months at £17.50 which I said yes to.

Year before I was on around £22pcm and tried to bump me to around £31 and ended up with £19pcm.

Let’s see what 2021 brings :lol:

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #648 on: Wednesday 10 June 2020, 11:26:23 AM »
It's annoying like. Especially when it was only a couple months back that the heads of the companies etc were sending out (okay it wasn't actually them) emails about how much they care about their customers, when in reality you get nothing but shafted for being loyal to them. 

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #649 on: Wednesday 10 June 2020, 11:29:01 AM »
It's annoying like. Especially when it was only a couple months back that the heads of the companies etc were sending out (okay it wasn't actually them) emails about how much they care about their customers, when in reality you get nothing but shafted for being loyal to them. 

this is the annoying bit, i considered going to sky for half the price then coming back to virgin at some point for pennies as a new customer deal but couldn't be arsed with it basically

Sleep now in the fire