Author Topic: Sky, Virgin or BT?  (Read 39159 times)

firetotheworks

Re: Sky, Virgin or BT?
« Reply #525 on: Thursday 17 August 2017, 05:36:32 PM »
Virgin rang me up to try and save me from going and came up with the goods.

Doubled my broadband speed from 50 meg to 100 meg
All Sky Sports in HD
All BT Sports in HD
£47 a month, which is what I was already paying.

Well worth cancelling with them to get the deal you want.

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #526 on: Sunday 27 August 2017, 12:37:19 PM »
Just put my 30 day notice in with Virgin Media, after receiving the price rise letter, giving me the option to bail out early without any early leaving charges.

Have been on an offer since last November for their Superfibre 50 at £18/month without a phone service (didn't need it last year, but need one again now). Got the price rise letter, which says they'd honour the discount until the end of November, but then my bill would go up £1.99/month on top of the adjustment for the end of my offer - so I'd be paying almost £35/month from December.

Have signed up for Vodafones home broadband, up to 76mb for £30/month incl phone line. They also have an offer on for a free joining gift worth up to £199 at the moment (choice of Sonos speaker, £75 gift card, etc).

Virgin did offer to add the phone service to my current offer, but that still came in at £37/month before any price rises/deal ends. They didn't offer to increase my fibre speed or anything, though.

I have Sky TV, and looked at their fibre deals, but they were still more expensive than Vodafone for the equivalent services.

Just hope the Vodafone service ok (for me). Have read some differing reviews.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline samptime29

• General Member
  • Come at the King, you better not miss...
« Reply #527 on: Sunday 27 August 2017, 01:40:41 PM »
Really happy with my £33 internet and Sky Sports deal with Talk Talk. No problems so far and feels like a solid deal.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #528 on: Monday 28 August 2017, 10:36:32 AM »

All Sky Sports in HD
All BT Sports in HD

did you just cancel with them then they rang you back or did you ring up and give them a price that you're getting elsewhere and they matched it?

hate doing this sort of thing but i got the £3 increase letter and am paying £44 or something now (not sure) for 100 meg and a phone line only

can't be f***ed with that anymore tbh
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

firetotheworks

« Reply #529 on: Monday 28 August 2017, 10:41:32 AM »

All Sky Sports in HD
All BT Sports in HD

did you just cancel with them then they rang you back or did you ring up and give them a price that you're getting elsewhere and they matched it?

hate doing this sort of thing but i got the £3 increase letter and am paying £44 or something now (not sure) for 100 meg and a phone line only

can't be f***ed with that anymore tbh
Aye, I quoted the £44 ish price that I found someone had been offered with Sky, told them they'd offered me that and they said they couldn't do it. So I cancelled and got a call a few days later where they offered me that deal above on a 12 month contract.

This is the deal I told them I was getting with Sky.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #530 on: Monday 28 August 2017, 11:00:01 AM »
Nice one. Despise this kind of thing but f*** em.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #531 on: Monday 28 August 2017, 04:37:18 PM »
The Virgin box is painfully un-user friendly. So slow and unresponsive. Sky s***s all over it for that reason.
AS9

firetotheworks

« Reply #532 on: Monday 28 August 2017, 07:38:23 PM »
The TiVo box? I got the best one with the original deal I got, but it could definitely do with improvement like.

Offline Geordie Ahmed

• General Member
« Reply #533 on: Monday 28 August 2017, 08:26:18 PM »
BT broadband blows Sky's out of the water. If it's Internet you care about never leave BT for Sky.

It's the opposite for TV packages. BTTV needs an aerial for the free view channels and then needs an ethernet cable or broadband extenders for the rest. Even then it's still nowhere near as good as Sky.
This is simply not true

The primary factor when it comes to broadband is based on your line, so companies are somewhat limited as to the speed

However BT are the most complained about Broadband provider whilst Sky is the least so you're wrong

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #534 on: Monday 28 August 2017, 08:29:50 PM »
The TiVo box? I got the best one with the original deal I got, but it could definitely do with improvement like.

Yeh.

Even something like deleting something recorded is painful. And it keeps recording random shows, any idea why?!
AS9

Offline Twinport53

• General Member
« Reply #535 on: Monday 28 August 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
BT broadband blows Sky's out of the water. If it's Internet you care about never leave BT for Sky.

It's the opposite for TV packages. BTTV needs an aerial for the free view channels and then needs an ethernet cable or broadband extenders for the rest. Even then it's still nowhere near as good as Sky.
This is simply not true

The primary factor when it comes to broadband is based on your line, so companies are somewhat limited as to the speed

However BT are the most complained about Broadband provider whilst Sky is the least so you're wrong

BT and Virgin are the only owners of landlines in the country. BT loan the lines and cap their capacity so sub lenders like Sky and talk talk can never offer higher speeds. So BT should rightly have higher speeds.

Virgins fibre should blow everything out of the water since there is far less customer usage on the lines, yet even their 400mb business fibre still struggles. Their project lightening was set up to expand and improve existing lines, yet nowt seems to make it better. My last 2 houses i've had Virgin, with the advertised 200mb package. Sometimes the down speed is as low as 18mb. It's pathetic :lol:
Hatem Ben Arfa -
I don't think he would have won us any more points than any of our current players.

After 9 losses and 1 draw in 10 matches under John Carver.

Offline Bimpy474

• General Member
« Reply #536 on: Monday 28 August 2017, 08:45:30 PM »

This is simply not true

I've just switched from Sky Broadband to BT Broadband and while BT's is quicker and very good when it's working. I have daily drop outs with BT usually around 6pm, something i'm complaining about right now. That never happened at all with Sky.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #537 on: Wednesday 30 August 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
Does the maximum advertised internet speed really matter?

I have 200mbps via Virgin Media. Speedtest.net puts me at 174mbps, but whenever I do any completely legal peer-to-peer file sharing, I'd be delighted if it tops out at 3mbps :lol:

So what am I actually losing if I switch to BT's 52mbps?

[/might belong in Daft Questions]

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #538 on: Wednesday 30 August 2017, 05:23:05 PM »
Does the maximum advertised internet speed really matter?

I have 200mbps via Virgin Media. Speedtest.net puts me at 174mbps, but whenever I do any completely legal peer-to-peer file sharing, I'd be delighted if it tops out at 3mbps :lol:

So what am I actually losing if I switch to BT's 52mbps?

[/might belong in Daft Questions]

P2P will depend on the other persons upload speed rather than your download speed.  The 174 is bits not bytes too so that's a theoretical maximum of about 21MB/s.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

firetotheworks

« Reply #539 on: Wednesday 30 August 2017, 05:32:30 PM »

Yeh.

Even something like deleting something recorded is painful. And it keeps recording random shows, any idea why?!
They're suggestions based on what you watch I think. I don't mind that too much, it's quite often right and it only ever keeps a few as well.

firetotheworks

« Reply #540 on: Wednesday 30 August 2017, 05:33:52 PM »

This is simply not true

BT and Virgin are the only owners of landlines in the country. BT loan the lines and cap their capacity so sub lenders like Sky and talk talk can never offer higher speeds. So BT should rightly have higher speeds.

Virgins fibre should blow everything out of the water since there is far less customer usage on the lines, yet even their 400mb business fibre still struggles. Their project lightening was set up to expand and improve existing lines, yet nowt seems to make it better. My last 2 houses i've had Virgin, with the advertised 200mb package. Sometimes the down speed is as low as 18mb. It's pathetic [emoji38]
And Kingston Communications. Just to be an ex BT employee pedant.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
  • Faster than a cannonball
« Reply #541 on: Wednesday 6 September 2017, 06:34:14 AM »
I think there's a glitch on my BT. I logged in to have a look at my bill and I always check my package to see if it would give me it cheaper. It was offering me loads and loads of retention deals. Was able to reduce my monthly price while upgrading fibre and adding the max TV package. Fairly sure it's glitched but I've received the confirmation emails.

Worth a shot.

Offline hakka

• General Member
« Reply #542 on: Wednesday 6 September 2017, 06:48:44 AM »
My few pence worth. Virgin promise huge speeds but rarely deliver them. It's all about your local exchange and how utilised it is. If you live in a populated area then peak times will have up to 100mb or 200mb service crawling as low as 1% of speed that value. It's infuriating. You will find at 2am you get blistering speeds when next nobody in your area is online.

BT will advertise slower speeds and be honest if they can't deliver the full speed in your area, but you will just get what they've promised. The area I moved to 2 years ago is slightly more rural and they just got fibre when I got there. Advertised 76mb service was advised to me it will likely peak in my area at around 40mb as it's still being developed, but it's smooth and consistent at that speed. Never felt it was slowing down by noticeable amounts.

On Virgin the swings of performance was so huge I was forever checking my speeds. Was never happy as even if I was getting 50mb to 70mb, it always felt like I was getting a fraction of what I was paying for. Until Virgin start loving up to their promises I will keep to BT. My dad is still with Virgin and gets similar issues.

Offline hakka

• General Member
« Reply #543 on: Wednesday 6 September 2017, 06:49:22 AM »
I think there's a glitch on my BT. I logged in to have a look at my bill and I always check my package to see if it would give me it cheaper. It was offering me loads and loads of retention deals. Was able to reduce my monthly price while upgrading fibre and adding the max TV package. Fairly sure it's glitched but I've received the confirmation emails.

Worth a shot.

Good shout, will have a look if mine is glitching!

Online SuperFlat

• General Member
« Reply #544 on: Wednesday 6 September 2017, 09:56:47 AM »
Nice one, currently upgrading my broadband, for nearly a tenner less than I currently pay. Cheers!

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #545 on: Wednesday 6 September 2017, 12:49:11 PM »

Yeh.

They're suggestions based on what you watch I think. I don't mind that too much, it's quite often right and it only ever keeps a few as well.
Aye, you can turn it off as well.
Apparently the new TiVo box (TiVo V6) is much better.

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #546 on: Wednesday 6 September 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
Having to move back in with my mam and stepdad until a better job comes along. They can only get Sky where they live and have Sky Q with a multiroom. Rang Sky to ask them if they could install a 2nd multiroom. They said because the main box was only 1TB you could only have 1 multiroom on it and they would have to upgrade to a 2TB main box. The price of that and the additional multiroom box was going to be £160 for a one off fee, plus the £12 a month. I told them to f*** off, £160 man, get real.

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #547 on: Wednesday 6 September 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
Can you not just stick another HD in it?

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #548 on: Wednesday 6 September 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
Can you not just stick another HD in it?
My stepdad just said I can take the multiroom box from his room (no cables or anything on them). I'm going to see if he has a device that he has that can get the app on it so he can watch TV anywhere on and if it can be related to his TV. Think the app has limited channel ability, but he only really watches sport in anyway.

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #549 on: Wednesday 6 September 2017, 01:11:48 PM »
Maybe a cheap android tablet with the ability to project to a tv through wifi if he hasn't.