Author Topic: Sky, Virgin or BT?  (Read 33230 times)

Offline Coco

• General Member
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Sky, Virgin or BT?
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 June 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
Normal I guess. Still probably the cheapest way.

I have thought of setting myself a limit of, say, £40 a month, and just getting the four best games via Now TV on pay as you go basis. Although I would probably just end up illegally streaming them TBH.

Why would you willingly pay £10 per game?  That £40 could be part of a large investment that provided you with a much better/larger service.

Because all I watch on TV is free channels and football. And there's no cheap way to get Sky Sports without paying for loads of stuff you don't need/want.

:yao:

What's that for?

Well, there are cheap ways of getting exactly what you want, and not necessarily paying for the junk you don't watch.  :whistle:
C won't believe us. But this is classic him.

CLASSIC Coco.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 June 2013, 12:25:42 PM »

I have thought of setting myself a limit of, say, £40 a month, and just getting the four best games via Now TV on pay as you go basis. Although I would probably just end up illegally streaming them TBH.

Why would you willingly pay £10 per game?  That £40 could be part of a large investment that provided you with a much better/larger service.

Because all I watch on TV is free channels and football. And there's no cheap way to get Sky Sports without paying for loads of stuff you don't need/want.

What's that for?

Well, there are cheap ways of getting exactly what you want, and not necessarily paying for the junk you don't watch.  :whistle:

Oh aye, that's what I use at the moment. But if you want TV quality I mean. Guess those 'alternative' methods will get better and better anyway.

Offline Geordie Ahmed

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 June 2013, 05:28:29 PM »

What's that for?

Oh aye, that's what I use at the moment. But if you want TV quality I mean. Guess those 'alternative' methods will get better and better anyway.

The quality on Now TV is quite average

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 25 June 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
Just changed broadband over from Sky to BT. Sky had been s***, kept cutting out all the time. This is loads faster too.

icemanblue

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 June 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
I'm looking at going the whole hog and ditching Sky for BT. I just can't justify paying as much as I do, simply for HD sports. I've got so many channels of s**** that I never watch, so what's the point? I'm banking on there being better quality 'other' means of watching games next season, plus I'd still get 38 games with BT (plus FA Cup). That's for £35 p/m versus ~£80 for Sky.

Will see what Sky have to say tonight. However, I can't really see them offering to massively improve my broadband and slash my bill in half. :lol:

Online Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 25 June 2013, 03:54:34 PM »
I'm looking at going the whole hog and ditching Sky for BT. I just can't justify paying as much as I do, simply for HD sports. I've got so many channels of s**** that I never watch, so what's the point? I'm banking on there being better quality 'other' means of watching games next season, plus I'd still get 38 games with BT (plus FA Cup). That's for £35 p/m versus ~£80 for Sky.

Will see what Sky have to say tonight. However, I can't really see them offering to massively improve my broadband and slash my bill in half. :lol:

:lol: True, I have no idea how anyone pays £80 for BB and TV, BT's prices seem so much more reasonable!
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

icemanblue

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 25 June 2013, 04:11:17 PM »
Sky Sports, mate. HD especially. They've had me, and millions of others, by the balls for too long. I watch quite a few live matches, plus some cricket, golf and NBA. Big difference between just switching it on your massive TV versus scrabbling around trying to find s**** quality streams. But, enough is enough. I'm taking a motherfucking stand (and it has NOTHING to do with my lass being on a 'SAVE ALL THE MONEY' tip at the minute).

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 June 2013, 05:24:50 PM »
had virgin, had sky- neat try will be BT.

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 25 June 2013, 05:30:43 PM »
We had to move to Virgin when we moved a few years back.  I haven't been impressed with Virgin at all.  We regularly have to ring up to report faults with either the tv or internet (or both).  I am not sure if it is the area we live in or what, but I would say it is much worse than Sky for reliability.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 11 July 2013, 11:14:08 AM »
Apparently BT sports and Sky Atlantic are both coming to Virgin Media XL customers in both SD and HD for the beginning of August.

Offline midstoon

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 July 2013, 08:11:38 PM »
Just put an order in to swap from sky broadband & phone line to BT infinity 2 & phone line. Had to be done, sick of my sky broadband cutting out all the time. Plus the free BT sports & free HD for a year convinced me to swap. Looking forward to the estimated 59MB speeds aswell :))

Anyone else on infinity 2? Wondering what the DL speeds are like.

« Reply #36 on: Thursday 22 August 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
Just been in touch with Virgin today as they'd sent me an email a while ago about getting Spotify Premium free for 3 months and I elected to take it up... Obviously.

Anyway, I'd cancelled myU nlimited in preparation and forgot all about it. Until today when I started getting Ads and remembered. Got in touch with Virgin who confirmed I should have had an email from Spotify. Got in touch with them, who said it was Virgins fault.

Anyway, long story short, they sent me the email in error as I'm on medium package and I should have been on Large to get the offer, so they've credited my Virgin account with £29.97 for 3 months worth of Spotify Premium.

:lol: Bonus. I'm just going to go back to Unlimited and take the £30. Why would I need Premium when I have 40GB of MP3s.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 August 2013, 03:58:21 PM »
Apparently BT sports and Sky Atlantic are both coming to Virgin Media XL customers in both SD and HD for the beginning of August.

Well that happened,  :lol:

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 22 August 2013, 04:01:13 PM »
They are all s*** but I'm moving to sky in the next week from virgin.

Paying £50pm at virgin for all basic channels, HD, phoneline and 16mb broadband.

For £57pm at sky I'm getting all basic entertainment channels, all sports inc f1 & bts, all movies, all in HD and 3d, phoneline and 40mb broadband.

Great deal until it starts pissing down.  :lol:

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #39 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 12:03:58 PM »

No but they did get with BT sports and it is free for people on the larger package.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #40 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 12:09:20 PM »

Paying £50pm at virgin for all basic channels, HD, phoneline and 16mb broadband.

For £57pm at sky I'm getting all basic entertainment channels, all sports inc f1 & bts, all movies, all in HD and 3d, phoneline and 40mb broadband.

Exactly, until it rains, snows, or is windy then it's ok being with Sky. I've noticed though that it's on those cold winter nights when you really just want to be at home watching TV, not exactly ideal with Sky.

Offline Corrigan

• General Member
« Reply #41 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 12:09:50 PM »

Or till it snows , have 30 degree heat or a tree pops up in the vicinity of the dish :lol:

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #42 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 12:10:34 PM »

No but they did get with BT sports and it is free for people on the larger package.

You've no idea how many stressed out people and late nights that BT Sport deal caused, it was mad.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #43 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 12:12:08 PM »

Bt sports just replaces what's lost on espn. Nowt to crow about.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #44 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 12:13:02 PM »

Exactly, until it rains, snows, or is windy then it's ok being with Sky. I've noticed though that it's on those cold winter nights when you really just want to be at home watching TV, not exactly ideal with Sky.

Thankfully this is where fibre bb and sky go come in to play.

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #45 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 12:59:36 PM »
Actually thinking about switching from Sky to Virgin. They've got a deal for people switching from Sky, discount depending on what package you choose. And you get a free HD 500GB Tivo box and V+ box. Will get the highest fibre optic, phone too obviously. All for cheaper than what we pay in total for Sky tv and Talk Talk's phone/absolute bullshit excuse for internet. And Talk Talk's prices are on the rise, too. To 'provide better future upgrades'. :yao: I'll believe that. So we can cancel with no hassle in the next 30 days.

Offline Ste

• General Member
« Reply #46 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
I have never had my Sky go off in all the years I've had it. Survived all kinds of weather.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 01:34:22 PM »
Actually thinking about switching from Sky to Virgin. They've got a deal for people switching from Sky, discount depending on what package you choose. And you get a free HD 500GB Tivo box and V+ box. Will get the highest fibre optic, phone too obviously. All for cheaper than what we pay in total for Sky tv and Talk Talk's phone/absolute bullshit excuse for internet. And Talk Talk's prices are on the rise, too. To 'provide better future upgrades'. :yao: I'll believe that. So we can cancel with no hassle in the next 30 days.

Suppose the only way to find out what Virgin are like is to sign up to them for a year. Just don't expect the price you are paying now, you know under a f***ing contract, will be the same by the time you finish the year.  :lol:

I've been on Virgin twice, and Sky 3 times, going back to Sky is something i've wanted to do every since i went back with Virgin, only now has a very good deal presented itself.

I'm sure in about 3 months i'll be starting to realise the reasons i left sky, but with fibre BB it seems like the complete package now while Virgin are left well behind

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
:thup: Sneaky prices changes were what caused us to leave in the first place. We've not dealt with them for a while though and the internet just keeps tempting me more and more. As soon as we have good internet I won't give a s*** about the tv side of things really. But £45 first 6 months for all tv/phone/internet, £70 after that seems pretty good to me.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #49 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 02:42:12 PM »
I have never had my Sky go off in all the years I've had it. Survived all kinds of weather.

Aye, same here, no idea what people are banging on about. :lol:
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.