Author Topic: The unpopular opinion thread  (Read 224546 times)

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
Re: The unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #8500 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 03:17:49 am »
Music like any art form is subjective and is really a matter of personal taste, so to claim this band or that band to be the greatest over others or overrated or whatever whether talking about the Beatles or the Spice Girls or anyone else I find extremely daft looking into it more deeply, because it kind of defeats the whole purpose of music.

An art form which for me can’t really be ranked or shouldn’t be ranked by any set criteria or standards other than the criteria or standards of the individual’s taste listening and how that individual either digs the music or not. I dig some Beatles songs and dig some of their guitar or drums for example, but I dont dig them as a band or that kind of music outside of that. But that’s me. Greatest ever, overrated, underrated? I don’t care and neither should anyone else.

Music is so personal and bands or artists ahouldnt be ranked based on album sales, number of hits, longevity, popular appeal, concert attendances or even influences over other artists or on the industry.

I love music as I’m sure we all do and love all kinds of music accross different genres and eras from all kinds of bands, solo artists and type of instruments used to produce the music and while I have my favourite songs, bands and type of music over other stuff which I prefer and likely always will, it’s based on what I dig which thanks to the beauty of music can change at anytime or I can pick and choose over and from whenever I like which I’m not wedded to.

As Kurt Cobain, lead singer of my fave band of all-time Nirvana, once said: when you remove the clever marketing, slick production, videos and the artists as characters or personas from everything, it’s really down to whether you dig a song or don’t. Such things might push a song to number 1 or a certain level of popularity, but it’s the music that ultimately makes or breaks a band, an album, longevity and long-term popularity.

And I dig their music and always will.

I couldn’t listen to Nirvana every day of course, but I couldn’t imagine a time where I’d not want to listen to them ever again.

If music can be ranked, I think that’s the true barometer of how good a band/singer/album/genre of music is or not, but again that can only be truly put to the test by the individual listening not sales, top hits, awards or whatever.

I’m no music snob, but if the criteria of greatness was measured by such things, West Life would s*** all over the Beatles probably.

For me, it’s extremely rare one band or group produces so much that I dig and Nirvana, R.E.M, Rolling Stones, The Who and in modern times Kings Of Leon all in particular have made music I just dig, song to song, album to album, style to style.

Oh and Phill Collins...
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #8501 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 04:46:32 am »
The White Album of posts. Long and bloated, with occasional moments of magic.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Online Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #8502 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 09:24:10 am »

The White Album of posts. Long and bloated, with occasional moments of magic.

I just dig Phill Collins...
Bearings Straight!

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #8503 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 03:53:56 pm »
Consider winning

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Telling it how it isn't
« Reply #8504 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:09:29 pm »
But Phil Collins should be impaled for Sussussudio, or whatever the f*** it's called. It's Michael McDonald levels of terrible.
Not one of the cool kids, and really insecure about it.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #8505 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:12:51 pm »
Michael McDonald levels of what now? That's a f***ing Doobie Brother you're talking about there son, have some respect.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Online Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #8506 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:13:43 pm »
Who here likes the Doobie Brothers? Cos we've got one of em!

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #8507 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:14:44 pm »
Rather listen to Phil Collins’s semi-catchy s*** than listen to the Beatles.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
« Reply #8508 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:15:58 pm »
Michael McDonald levels of what now? That's a f***ing Doobie Brother you're talking about there son, have some respect.

Have you listened to his solo s***? Sweet Freedom is one of the most ridiculous songs ever shat out.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
« Reply #8509 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:16:44 pm »
Or Ya Mo Be There, whatever the f*** it's called. Jesus. His Doobie Brothers work doesn't make up for the 80's.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #8510 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:23:20 pm »
Both are songs that I like although Ya Mo Be There is James Ingram ft Michael McDonald isn't it?

Nostalgia for me more than anything probably, because my mam listened to him all the time when I was growing up and now he's doing stuff with Thundercat which is decent and suits him.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
« Reply #8511 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:25:14 pm »
Dude, it has to be nostalgia. Sweet Freedom is just absurd. Sounds like he is trying to sing it with a mouthful of Billy Crystal's jizz.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #8512 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:26:43 pm »
Dude, it has to be nostalgia.

:lol: It's 100 percent nostalgia.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #8513 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:28:14 pm »
It's part comedy as well tbh, the way he sings 'drum' as part of 'dancin' to a different druhhuum' sounds exactly like Trey Parker. :lol:
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
« Reply #8514 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:41:58 pm »
Your mom listening to him all the time when you were growing up should be an indication about the nostalgia thing. My mom listened to True by Spandau Ballet all the time. Any good memories of youth associated with it doesn't change that it is an objectively dog s*** song.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #8515 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:49:20 pm »
I don't really believe in objectivity with music like, nostaligia and memory is far too much a part of it in the first place.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
« Reply #8516 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 06:02:47 pm »
:lol: Of course there is no real clear-cut objectivity in music. If there was, Spandau Ballet would have been executed to a man back in 1984.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #8517 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 06:03:33 pm »
Were you abused by Spandau Ballet or something? :lol:
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #8518 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 06:04:32 pm »
Your mom listening to him all the time when you were growing up should be an indication about the nostalgia thing. My mom listened to True by Spandau Ballet all the time. Any good memories of youth associated with it doesn't change that it is an objectively dog s*** song.

Same as the Spice Girls. Can't help but remember happy times when lasses would give gratis lesbo shows and gladly suck your cock, just to demonstrate their independence from men.

aah the 90s. Have to admit the universal expectation of anal came as a surprise.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #8519 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 06:18:07 pm »
If this page ends up enlarged and put up on an easel in court, may I request that my internet pseudonym and my dog are blurred out please. Thanks.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
« Reply #8520 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 06:26:21 pm »

:lol: I had the weirdest experience a couple of years ago coming from a trip to Glamis Dunes near Mexico. I had been drinking whiskey all night, and my buddy gave me a few edibles the next morning. I was fine for the first few hours of the trip back, but then that f***er found True. I always hated the song anyway, but I was obviously a bit more sensitive. I actually started panicking and telling myself over and over that it was only 4 minutes to calm down. I finally phased out for while, but when I came back down to earth, we were just beginning the second verse. Apparently that f***ing song is 49 minutes long, and I was stuck in a hell where it was constantly playing. I haven't taken an edible since.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #8521 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 06:28:31 pm »
:lol: That was like that Dave Chapelle joke about shrooms.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
« Reply #8522 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 07:07:04 pm »
:lol: It's still so nightmarishly vivid.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #8523 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 01:28:52 pm »
If this page ends up enlarged and put up on an easel in court, may I request that my internet pseudonym and my dog are blurred out please. Thanks.

:lol:
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #8524 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 04:05:43 pm »

:lol: I had the weirdest experience a couple of years ago coming from a trip to Glamis Dunes near Mexico. I had been drinking whiskey all night, and my buddy gave me a few edibles the next morning. I was fine for the first few hours of the trip back, but then that f***er found True. I always hated the song anyway, but I was obviously a bit more sensitive. I actually started panicking and telling myself over and over that it was only 4 minutes to calm down. I finally phased out for while, but when I came back down to earth, we were just beginning the second verse. Apparently that f***ing song is 49 minutes long, and I was stuck in a hell where it was constantly playing. I haven't taken an edible since.

:lol:
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.