Author Topic: Netflix/Streaming Suggestions  (Read 214372 times)

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • The greatest movie ever sold
Re: Netflix/Streaming Suggestions
« Reply #900 on: Saturday 14 October 2017, 08:54:00 PM »

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #901 on: Sunday 15 October 2017, 12:56:46 AM »
I'm kind of expecting it to be a lot like Zodiac, that'll do me if it is.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #902 on: Monday 16 October 2017, 12:29:47 PM »

If it's one thing I was waiting for it was Charlize Theron in a producing role. :hmm:
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #903 on: Monday 16 October 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
:lol: what’s wrong with Charlize Theron?

4 episodes in now. The guy playing Kemper, man.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #904 on: Monday 16 October 2017, 01:11:33 PM »
Nothing's wrong with her.  Nothing at all.  I'd want her acting in it, mind.  It's got Anna Torv from FRINGE fame, she was terrible.  She any good in this?
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #905 on: Monday 16 October 2017, 02:04:55 PM »

Kemper the real MVP.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #906 on: Monday 16 October 2017, 02:41:10 PM »
Enjoying (if that's the right word considering the subject matter) 'Mindhunter'. It's based on the true story how the FBI came up with serial killer profiling. So far it's a lot of talking and not much action but that's fine. It's procedural like 'Zodiac' rather than all action chases. Apparently Starlings boss out of 'The Silence of the Lambs' was based on the main FBI guy 'Mindhunter' features.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #907 on: Monday 16 October 2017, 04:08:28 PM »
It’s not a procedural, it’s serialized.

Offline LionOfGosforth

• General Member
  • Geordie in NYC
« Reply #908 on: Monday 16 October 2017, 06:04:52 PM »

Kemper the real MVP.

Agreed. don't know if he sounds like him but incredible how much he looks like him. That moment where he says "there's more of us out there you know" was f***ing chilling. I also like the little flashes to Kansas and the hints of a beginning there. Think it's pretty clearly BTK. Cool show, find the main guy a little absurd at times with his knowing looks but Tench is quality.

Offline TheInfiniteOdyssey

• General Member
  • I still love it but I used to love it more.
« Reply #909 on: Monday 16 October 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
American Vandal is outstanding, one of the best shows Netflix has ever put out.  :lol:

Ming's interview  :lol:

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #910 on: Monday 16 October 2017, 09:42:55 PM »
Will watch that soon. If you think about it there aren't that many good spoofs these days, they were massive in the 90s and a lot of it was good quality.

firetotheworks

« Reply #911 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
Only managed about half an hour of Mindhunter because it had already packed in so many clichés, convenient coincidences, and stereotypical characters that it didn't immerse me. It didn't feel like something by David Fincher. I'll give it another chance when I'm more in the mood.

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #912 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
Nothing's wrong with her.  Nothing at all.  I'd want her acting in it, mind.  It's got Anna Torv from FRINGE fame, she was terrible.  She any good in this?
I always thought she was great in Fridge tbh. That said I thought the show was exceptional, even if the last season was a bit of a miss.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #913 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
Only managed about half an hour of Mindhunter because it had already packed in so many clichés, convenient coincidences, and stereotypical characters that it didn't immerse me. It didn't feel like something by David Fincher. I'll give it another chance when I'm more in the mood.

Kinda like it’s based on a true story? It sounds weird, but I always find things that are rooted in truth the hardest to suspend disbelief for because reality is so incredibly random. When I watched The People vs. OJ Simpson I was literally shouting at the TV in disbelief, yet the dialogue/actions I had most issues with were recreated verbatim with no creative license taken :lol:

Loved both Mindhunter after viewing it all though. If only for the serial killer interviews. That said, I am frustrated and annoyed by them creating «fake» characters for Douglas (Ford) and Ressler (Tench), and obviously most scenes involving their personal lives are bullshit. I am biased by loving Douglas and his work, though :lol:

firetotheworks

« Reply #914 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 10:51:25 AM »
I'm not saying those things didn't happen, or those people don't exist. But happening in that way - Do a lecture about hostage negotiations, see poignant lecture about mental illness, talk in bar with that lecturer, then just happen to have a stereotypical sociology student with poignant things to say about crime and mental illness approach you at the bar? All of that in one go over the course of like an hour. Whether it's true or not doesn't really matter in terms of my enjoyment, but I'd be flabbergasted if that's how events unfolded.  The whole based on a true story means about as much as inspired by real events tbh. Even documentaries can't be taken at face value and wikipedia searches after programmes almost always end up being nothing like the way it was depicted.

The People vs OJ Simpson wasn't at all verbatim, like. :lol: As an example, watch Cuba Gooding Jr doing his 'daddy when are you coming home?' speech and then watch the actual speech by O.J, they're worlds apart.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #915 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 10:53:01 AM »
I always thought she was great in Fridge tbh. That said I thought the show was exceptional, even if the last season was a bit of a miss.

I loved her, don't get me wrong.  But I just couldn't take her seriously as the saviour of the world (and time itself), never mind Joshua Jackson's character.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #916 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
I've only watched the first 2 eps of Mindhunter and can't say I've been bowled over yet, hopefully I'll get more into it.

Think I'll have an issue with the lead character being so clean cut, prefer characters with a bit of edge to them tbh.

Offline ElDiablo

• General Member
« Reply #917 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 11:26:31 AM »
i've watched it all, it's good, but is definitely lacking something. Too much mincing around with his GF for me.

Offline LionOfGosforth

• General Member
  • Geordie in NYC
« Reply #918 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 01:14:18 PM »
i've watched it all, it's good, but is definitely lacking something. Too much mincing around with his GF for me.

Think in part it lacked "the chase". They weren't actively looking for someone major, other than on a couple of the consultations that they did, and those people weren't that hard to determine. The references to BTK I have to assume will be big in season 2 as that escalates.

I think the lead character is as latent a serial killer as you'll ever see and there's someone close to him that gets discussed early that we still haven't met  :lol:

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #919 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 09:00:17 PM »

Think in part it lacked "the chase". They weren't actively looking for someone major, other than on a couple of the consultations that they did, and those people weren't that hard to determine. The references to BTK I have to assume will be big in season 2 as that escalates.

I think the lead character is as latent a serial killer as you'll ever see and there's someone close to him that gets discussed early that we still haven't met  :lol:

The big bad next season is
Spoiler
[close]

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #920 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 09:29:46 PM »
Enjoying (if that's the right word considering the subject matter) 'Mindhunter'. It's based on the true story how the FBI came up with serial killer profiling. So far it's a lot of talking and not much action but that's fine. It's procedural like 'Zodiac' rather than all action chases. Apparently Starlings boss out of 'The Silence of the Lambs' was based on the main FBI guy 'Mindhunter' features.

Wanted to get into this thinking it was a documentary, but obviously not so I don't know if I'll sit through it, despite the subject matter interesting me greatly.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #921 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 09:31:47 PM »

Wanted to get into this thinking it was a documentary, but obviously not so I don't know if I'll sit through it, despite the subject matter interesting me greatly.

You should check out the book then.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #922 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 09:47:07 PM »
Will do thanks.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline LionOfGosforth

• General Member
  • Geordie in NYC
« Reply #923 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 10:10:33 PM »

The big bad next season is
Spoiler
[close]
Oof, that bugger. Makes sense, according to wiki, he was one of his first major cases/consultations and he helped trap him. The guy that I think most think is clearly referred to doesn't merit a mention in the wiki, but the short clips of happenings in Kansas were surely him? I mean the ending could hardly have been anyone else?

Offline ponsaelius

• General Member
« Reply #924 on: Tuesday 17 October 2017, 11:12:26 PM »
'Stranger' is a good Korean drama worth watching. It takes a bit of sticking with to get used to the jarring and slightly cheesy direction style K-dramas use but it develops very well over the course of the series. Starts as a murder mystery but ends up being much broader in scope involving corruption in Korean society.
Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.