Author Topic: Netflix/Streaming Suggestions  (Read 213423 times)

mouldy_uk and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
Re: Netflix suggestions
« Reply #600 on: Saturday 15 April 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
Think with Louis he's spent most of the last year working on Horace and Pete, which was a real passion project for him, the standup has obviously suffered as a result.

Haven't watched the latest one yet btw, now I'm not sure I want to, hate being disappointed by comedians i really like :lol:

Offline Ketsbaia

• General Member
« Reply #601 on: Monday 17 April 2017, 12:48:59 AM »
Just had to drop by and mention 13 Reasons Why. f***ing hell, what a great programme :clap:

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #602 on: Monday 17 April 2017, 02:55:55 PM »
I don't like the navigation of Prime. Had it on trial and it just feels really crude.
:thup: it's UX cancer.

:lol: It's f***ing turrrrrrrible.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #603 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:21:09 AM »
Just had to drop by and mention 13 Reasons Why. f***ing hell, what a great programme :clap:
:thup: Already mentioned this in the other thread. So tragic and heartbreaking but it has funny parts as well. Brilliant show.

As someone who is around the age of the characters on the show, I know what goes on and what happens and the show just makes you think the miniscule things you do can have a gargantuan effect on people, some may know that already but the show highlights stuff brilliantly. Just thinking about it makes me depressed. :lol:

But I strongly‚Äč recommend it to anyone who's not seen it yet.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline Marmoset

• General Member
« Reply #604 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
It's very good, as long as you stretch your imagination a bit anyway. Some of the actions/inactions of the characters get a bit hard to believe about halfway through.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #605 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
It's very good, as long as you stretch your imagination a bit anyway. Some of the actions/inactions of the characters get a bit hard to believe about halfway through.
Which ones?
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #606 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
So after spending 4 or 5 years on Netflix, watching, rating and generally having content suggested that seems somewhat suitable.  They've decided to scrap ratings and bring the vague and beyond tedious as f*** :thup: or :thdn: ratings.  :rolleyes: 

Can we get a wee red heart, too, for the things we really really love, Netflix.  Please? 
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

firetotheworks

« Reply #607 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
Dumbing down a 5-star rating says it all like. I kind of worry about where Netflix is going like. They've done some truly outstanding things, but then they throw money at Adam Sandler.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #608 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:01:38 PM »
:lol: :thup:

That's what I was thinking but didn't know how to put in words.  Are they going to end out trying to make it a social platform?  I know there's addons/extensions like NetParty or whatever that allows you to talk to be people as you both watch something.  Perhaps they're gearing towards that.  Perhaps not. 

Either way, the whole thumps up/down stuff is really really just f***ing boring as f***.  It's ridiculous to even get annoyed by it, but it's just the way everything has to be a black or white.  You hate it, or you love it. 
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Online 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #609 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:02:29 PM »
Dumbing down a 5-star rating says it all like. I kind of worry about where Netflix is going like. They've done some truly outstanding things, but then they throw money at Adam Sandler.
Tbf all Netflix does is look at there analytics, see whats popular and makes s*** based on it. So i'd have imagined that a fair amount of the population are dumb as f*** :lol:

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #610 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:04:12 PM »
Much prefer the thumbs up/down system. I only rated 1 or 5 stars before anyway. Either I liked it or not, f*** trying to do a scale rating system in a place with such a variety of genres as well as content for different mediums. I'd always rate a 5 star TV Show higher than a 5 star movie simply because TV is superior when it comes to telling a story. Giving them ratings less than 5 or more than 1 would f*** up the suggestions. Either I liked it or I didn't. Simple.

They'd have to give me a rating system with a score ranging from 1 to 100, as well as separate them by genre and medium for me to be able to rate things properly. Thumbs up and down is just easier.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #611 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:05:11 PM »
Christ, you just wrote a post about everything I hate about the internet today. :lol:

LOVE IT!

HATE IT!

:anguish: O0

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #612 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:09:13 PM »
I think my issue is more feeling restricted by how little depth the five star system gave more than anything else :lol: You know I'm a sucker for stats and in depth analysis of things as well as separating ratings by genre.

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • t(' ' t)
« Reply #613 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
Reminds me of the sony hack from a few years ago where everyone learned they hated him. Right around the time of this netflix deal too :lol: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/19/sony-hates-adam-sandler-as-much-as-you-do.html

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #614 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:11:53 PM »

They do make some questionable decisions re: original content. Maybe the mongs lap it up, dunno.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #615 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:15:20 PM »
I think my issue is more feeling restricted by how little depth the five star system gave more than anything else :lol: You know I'm a sucker for stats and in depth analysis of things as well as separating ratings by genre.

I do know what you mean.  Most stuff I like, even though I don't think it's outstanding, I'll give a 5, but there's plenty of s*** I can't bring myself to do that with but still enjoy.  It's the more the way every platform is resorting to these ways of evaluating, well, everything and anything.  Some stuff it works, it's simple, it's a photo, it doesn't need a degree of how much you liked it etc, but I'd often go on rating runs on Netflix.  There was something cathartic about it, I even do it on IMDB with an account stretching back nearly a good 15 years.  :blush:

firetotheworks

« Reply #616 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:39:34 PM »
I liked the rating system. I got right into it, but now Netflix is going to think that I think Eternal Sunshine and The Real Ghostbusters are equal.

I quite like how they made House of Cards because there was a correlation between people who watch the original and people who watch Kevin Spacey films.

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #617 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:42:58 PM »
I liked the rating system. I got right into it, but now Netflix is going to think that I think Eternal Sunshine and The Real Ghostbusters are equal.

Rating out of five is horrible, though. The scale needs to be vastly larger to properly represent what I think of the movies/shows. Also need to be genre based as some genres as a 100/100 on a horror scale isn't as good as a 100/100 on a drama scale as it's much harder to make a good drama than a horror.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #618 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:44:09 PM »

Rating out of five is horrible, though. The scale needs to be vastly larger to properly represent what I think of the movies/shows. Also need to be genre based as some genres as a 100/100 on a horror scale isn't as good as a 100/100 on a drama scale as it's much harder to make a good drama than a horror.

Maybe, but you're one of the few who really care about it. :lol:

firetotheworks

« Reply #619 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 03:49:57 PM »

I don't think a out of 100 is really necessary in order to put forward recommendations like. [emoji38]

Offline Mole_Toonfan

• General Member
« Reply #620 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 04:05:07 PM »
I never payed attention to any of the ratings on Netflix personally, just scrolled through sections quickly and picked something that looked good. :lol:

I don't think i have missed out on anything major because of it.

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #621 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 04:21:00 PM »

I don't think a out of 100 is really necessary in order to put forward recommendations like. [emoji38]

Out of 10 at least, though :lol: With only 5 choices it's nigh possible to rate, especially the ones arounnd 3 as they're not bad enough for 2 and not good enough for 4, yet the rane of movies within that area is so vast it's hard to group some toether because they're not equal even if they're not a 2 or 4. Hence I always just went 1 or 5 as a "liked" or "disliked".

I'll admit I'm OCD about this stuff though :lol:

firetotheworks

« Reply #622 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
Yes, you are. It's pretty simple like [emoji38]

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #623 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 07:09:06 PM »
On another note, I need to stop typing as fast as I do on the iPhone :lol: Those spelling errors are scary.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #624 on: Wednesday 26 April 2017, 07:33:17 PM »
Not Netflix but Handmaid's tale on Hulu looks f***ing legit.