Author Topic: Netflix/Streaming Suggestions  (Read 222472 times)

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
Re: Netflix/Streaming Suggestions
« Reply #5375 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 06:02:07 PM »
Finally firing through Peaky Blinders.  Definitely enjoyable as f***, but nowhere near the hype it has gotten.  Totally lacks authenticity, the use of contemporary music doing nothing to help you get a feel for the era.  Extremely poor man's Boardwalk Empire. 

I was tempted to start it but there's too much to get through now.

i was absolutely fine with it once i realised it was a cartoon, from that point on i really enjoyed it

A cartoon? :lol:
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #5376 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 06:03:23 PM »
Should this and the what are you watching thread be merged?  They're basically used for exactly the same thing, and it's harder to keep track of what's being discussed where.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #5377 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 06:13:31 PM »
Finally firing through Peaky Blinders.  Definitely enjoyable as f***, but nowhere near the hype it has gotten.  Totally lacks authenticity, the use of contemporary music doing nothing to help you get a feel for the era.  Extremely poor man's Boardwalk Empire. 

i was absolutely fine with it once i realised it was a cartoon, from that point on i really enjoyed it

yeah, in general tone and character development it's little more than a cartoon

it was s4 with the mafia when the penny dropped for me, should have been s3 really in hindsight, actually should have been the moment hardy morphed into the hasidic jew or whatever happened :lol:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #5378 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 06:27:22 PM »
Watching The Devil Next Door, decent watching so far!

Yep, I'm on this too. Right up my street, Nazi hunting and all that. I have to confess to googling to find out whether he was actually the dude.

I find Israeli justice terrifying. Once named as a Nazi you have no chance in their court system.

I’ll not spoil the ending then :lol:

I've read what happens but the build up was like, this dude has no chance. I mean the people in the court hurling abuse, the Israelis basically wanting to hang the defence attorney for being an Israeli. He was guilty before they started.

f*** knows how he got off, still watching.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #5379 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 06:38:50 PM »

it was s4 with the mafia when the penny dropped for me, should have been s3 really in hindsight, actually should have been the moment hardy morphed into the hasidic jew or whatever happened :lol:

I get ye. :thup: 

Aye, it's not very convincing, and the use of Red Right Hand so much is just pure shotgun material. 
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #5380 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 06:43:18 PM »
Well watched all of The Devil Next Door

Spoiler
[close]
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #5381 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 07:07:38 PM »

Aye, it's not very convincing, and the use of Red Right Hand so much is just pure shotgun material. 

That's only for one season.

I enjoyed the show a lot, but haven't watched the most reason series yet. I don't think it's trying to be in the HBO/Boardwalk ilk like. It's far more.. lighthearted? than that.

Online chopey

• General Member
« Reply #5382 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 09:15:16 PM »
Dolemite Is My Name -  where the f*** has Murphy been when he's still this good. Only half way through but he's f***ing brilliant.
Finished this, thought it was brilliant. Great to see Murphy on top form Snipes was brilliant too. Really enjoyable.

Love this
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #5383 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 09:18:32 PM »

I enjoyed the show a lot, but haven't watched the most reason series yet. I don't think it's trying to be in the HBO/Boardwalk ilk like. It's far more.. lighthearted? than that.

Light hearted? :lol:

Fair enough, stand by what I said.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #5384 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 10:32:59 PM »
ingrid goes west on netflix, for a "black comedy" it was properly depressing like
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #5385 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 06:17:24 AM »
Should this and the what are you watching thread be merged?  They're basically used for exactly the same thing, and it's harder to keep track of what's being discussed where.

Yes. This is a good suggestion.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #5386 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
Dolemite Is My Name -  where the f*** has Murphy been when he's still this good. Only half way through but he's f***ing brilliant.
Finished this, thought it was brilliant. Great to see Murphy on top form Snipes was brilliant too. Really enjoyable.

Love this

Its superb, check out some of Dolemite's movies on you tube.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #5387 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 08:57:41 AM »

Light hearted? :lol:

Fair enough, stand by what I said.

It is more light-hearted than BE, there's some tremendous humour woven into the stories. Also the back story is brilliant.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #5388 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 02:47:40 PM »
Boardwalk Empire had a million funnier moments in it than PB like.  Season 3 was almost a comedy. 

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #5389 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 03:02:46 PM »
Boardwalk Empire had a million funnier moments in it than PB like.  Season 3 was almost a comedy.

Did it? I can't remember. BE was quality, without a doubt, I loved it for what it was, when it was. But I also love PB for what it is.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #5390 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 03:04:00 PM »
Big Gyp Rosetti season?  Definitely remember pissing myself at some of it.  I like PB, genuinely, just being a nitpicking prick. :aww:

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • hog health status: exemplary
« Reply #5391 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 03:04:23 PM »
The entire Nelson Van Alden story line was one long dark comedy :lol:

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #5392 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 03:07:07 PM »
Aye!  That too.  :lol:

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #5393 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 03:19:16 PM »
Big Gyp Rosetti season?  Definitely remember pissing myself at some of it.  I like PB, genuinely, just being a nitpicking prick. :aww:

I know that, just being a patriotic sonofabitch.

I was one of BE biggest fans at the time. Had it downloaded before most people knew what I was talking about. I don't think the two are particularly comparable, due to season length alone, but if they are to be compared then PB stands up pretty well.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #5394 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 03:30:26 PM »
The entire Nelson Van Alden story line was one long dark comedy :lol:

Aye that was black comedy. I always forget that was part of BE, strangely enough.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5395 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 03:50:10 PM »
God Nelson was the f***ing dream in Boardwalk. :lol:

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #5396 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 04:03:33 PM »
I can't remember it exactly, but there was a scene when he loses his nut after he's done being a cop.  Attacks some guy with an iron, but there's a noise he makes and I still laugh at it just thinking of it. :blush: :lol:

EDIT: Well that sucks, just checked it to make sure I wasn't talking s*** and I am.  It's just a guy writhing in agony, not him.  Ruined a perfectly good memory. :huff:

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #5397 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 10:17:31 PM »
Just watched The Game Changers on Netflix - class.

Offline Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #5398 on: Saturday 9 November 2019, 12:08:21 AM »
I've also started watching Peaky Blinders, last episode of the first season left iirc. It's really good and I've enjoyed it but the music really bothers me too and it's nowhere near BE quality.

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #5399 on: Saturday 9 November 2019, 09:52:10 AM »
Well watched all of The Devil Next Door

Spoiler
[close]

Agree entirely. What scared me was the bloodlust by the Isrealis. It's one thing being convinced of his guilt but to not even want him to have a competent defence set up is madness.

If you believe hes guilty, you should want him to have a good defence, so that he can be nailed properly.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”