Author Topic: Netflix/Streaming Suggestions  (Read 132799 times)

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
Re: Netflix suggestions
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 25 April 2013, 05:07:27 pm »
Put some Anime on to watch with the missus.  Episode 2, half naked 11 year-old asking high school student to massage her with oil.  When he says it's weird she says "It's OK, I'm a vampire.  I may look like a child but I'm actually older than you."  Nice loophole, Japan. 

She didn't believe me when i said I had no idea of the plot :lol:

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #51 on: Thursday 25 April 2013, 05:21:10 pm »
Mike loves that stuff. He keeps trying to get me to watch it. I assume he's some Internet Cop trying to catch me in a sting or something, rather than you know... him being strange.

« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 09:22:59 am »
Netflix's streaming catalog is about to lose nearly 2000 movies.

As of May 1, 2013, Netflix will officially have 1794 fewer titles in its streaming repository. Now, before you freak out too much, this isn't as bad as the Great Netflix Starzageddon of 2012. After Netflix and Starz were unable to renew their streaming agreements with one another, more than a 1,000 films — including many of the newer films in Netflix's streaming catalog — disappeared from the service.

This time, most of the titles (you can see the full list here) are inconsequential and include titles such as Caged Fury (yes, that's a real movie starring Erik Estrada) and 1998's Deep Impact. Still, we're also losing Cruel Intentions, which makes my 16-year-old heart break into thousands of tiny pieces.

For his part, Brobible's Andy Moore will be doing a viewing party for Big Daddy tonight.

So why are these titles leaving Netflix? Licensing. The titles belong to Warner Bros., MGM and Universal and will soon only be accessible through the Warner Archive Instant service. Yeah, I didn't know about that service either. Apparently for $10 a month you can get a selection of streaming films only slightly better than what Redbox Instant offers. Who knew!

While this purge might not be of Netflix's most important titles, it could be a sign of things to come. Earlier this month, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said that he was considering letting a broad television deal with Viacom Networks lapse. That would mean that shows from Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1 and BET could all disappear from the service at the end of May.

Now, losing Cruel Intentions is one thing, but if I lose Teen Mom and SpongeBob SquarePants, I'm seriously going to be unhappy.

What sub-par Netflix movie will you miss the most? Let us know in the comments.

UPDATE, Tuesday, April 30, 8:46 p.m. EDT: Joris Evers, director of global corporate communications at Netflix, has reached out to Mashable, providing the following comments.

"Netflix is a dynamic service, we constantly update the TV shows and movies that are available to our members. We will add more than 500 titles May 1, but we also have titles expiring, this ebb and flow happens all the time."

"We are selective about what’s available to watch on Netflix. We often license TV shows and movies on an exclusive basis, so we can provide a unique experience. We’ll forego, or choose not renew, titles that aren’t watched enough. We always use our knowledge about what our members love to watch to decide what’s available on Netflix. Our goal is to be an expert programmer, offering a mix that delights our members, rather than trying to be a broad distributor.”

http://mashable.com/2013/04/30/netflix-streamageddon-2013/
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 09:28:03 am »
Things like this always happen.

Netflix has proven that a service for movie/tv digital distribution is popular and profitabble, so now all the movie and TV studios want in on the act. Yet, they're totally missing the part where it was the cross selection of movies and TV shows that made Netflix such a great option and value for money. Will anyone really want to pay up $10 per movie studio streaming service?

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 09:42:37 am »
It's $10 a month for that Warner thing I think.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 10:32:34 am »
Yeah, that's what I was saying.

Why do they think it's worth that? The draw of Netflix is it's content, which is a very large selection of TV and Movies from various studios. I can't imagine very many people are going to spend the same amount of money on each distributor platform if they take all their content from Netflix to try their own DD service.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 12:29:28 pm »
Viacom License expires on 22nd May.

Ahh Real Monsters
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron
All Grown Up (Rugrats)
Angry Beavers

Back at the Barnyard
The Backyardigans
Basketball Wives
Beavis and Butt-head
Blues Clues

Chappelle's Show
Danny Phantom
Deadliest Warrior
Dora the Explorer
Drake & Josh

Drawn Together
The Fairly OddParents
The Fresh Beat Band
Go Diego Go
The Hard Times of RJ Berger

Hey Arnold!
The Hills
iCarly
Invader Zim
The Jeff Dunham Show

Jersey Shore
Kenny vs. Spenny
Laguna Beach
MANswers
Mighty B

Mob Wives
The Naked Brothers Band
Nick Swardson's Pretend Time
Ren and Stimpy
Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon

Reno 911
Roast of...Bob Saget, Charlie Sheen, David Hasselhoff, Flavor Flav, Roseanne, William Shatner
Rocko's Modern Life
Rugrats
Russell Brand in NYC

The Sarah Silverman Program
Shorties Watchin' Shorties
Skins (U.S.)
SpongeBob SquarePants
Teen Mom

Ugly Americans
Viva La Bam
Wildboyz
Workaholics
Yo Gabba Gabba!

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 12:33:34 pm »
Few things on there I'll miss, mainly workaholics.. :undecided:

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 12:36:42 pm »
Few things on there I'll miss, mainly Teen Mom.. :undecided:

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 01:37:32 pm »
I'd miss Sponge bob and possibly Deadliest Warriors.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 02:11:44 pm »
I'm going to nail breaking bad in my months free trial for netflix then probably cancel. Don't see much point having it beyond that, I've seen all the decent films that seem to be on there. I'm not really a TC series kind of person. If I am I'll atch it when it's on, going back and visiting any Ive missed doesn't seem like a valid use of my time.

Aslo, I caught the gf laying watching Donnie Darko II on it ffs. I'm gonna get rid just so her arse doesn't balloon.

Offline Al Moody

• General Member
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 04:56:37 pm »
I thought they were going to be adding 1000's of titles this year not getting rid. Hmm, not happy about this like. I use Netflix every day.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 1 May 2013, 05:54:52 pm »
Get on that Kenny vs Spenny. At least the early seasons.

Offline #9

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 22 August 2013, 09:09:31 am »
Has anyone watched orange is the new black on Netflix? Really good IMO.

Also trailer park boys if you can get US Netflix 

Offline Ste

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 22 August 2013, 06:12:13 pm »
Can you queue on 360?

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #66 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 01:22:38 am »
Can you queue on 360?

Yep, press X for "Add to my list" or whatever and it'll create a new row called "My List" for the stuff you've queued.  I had to restart my Netflix to see the new row mind.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 01:25:16 am »
No way to rearrange it? Chucked loads of TV shows in there assuming it would update as I watched stuff from it, but it hasn't so naturally the more obscure stuff's at the front.
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #68 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 01:28:42 am »
No idea mate, I just added 1 or 2 earlier to see whether it worked.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Wash your hands … immediately.
« Reply #69 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 01:33:30 am »
No way to rearrange it? Chucked loads of TV shows in there assuming it would update as I watched stuff from it, but it hasn't so naturally the more obscure stuff's at the front.

See semtex's link above:

Instead of remaining in a static queue (or suffering entirely random changes) Netflix is applying its algorithms to users lists, automatically sorting each one by what it believes people will want to watch next. Director of Product Innovation Michael Spiegelman says in a blog post that members preferred this feature in tests, but if you're committed to the DIY method then it can be disabled in favor of manual sorting.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #70 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 01:44:15 am »
Just finished Inbetweeners. Good stuff. :lol:

Need a new series. Girlfriend just started Orange is the New Black, really likes it. Looks good from the bits I've caught.

Offline geordie_b

• General Member
« Reply #71 on: Friday 23 August 2013, 12:20:57 pm »
Try 'The League'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1480684/

Very funny

Offline lovejoy

• Sholagol really...
  • General Member
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 2 February 2014, 09:15:51 pm »
Bump.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 2 February 2014, 09:16:49 pm »
Watch Lilyhammer.

Offline lovejoy

• Sholagol really...
  • General Member
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 2 February 2014, 09:16:50 pm »
so...back to netflix suggestions...

'Hoop Dreams', great watch, docufilm about two young american kids trying to make it to the NBA.