Poll

Should we abolish the Monarchy?

Yes
114 (62.6%)
No
68 (37.4%)

Total Members Voted: 181

Author Topic: The Royal Family - Get To F*ck  (Read 122807 times)

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
Re: The Royal Family - Get To F*ck
« Reply #25 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:22:53 PM »
Don't know much about it, but isn't part of the benefits of them that they own a f***-tonne of land which is basically given to the public to use? Removing them as the Royal Family would cost the public loads of land. No idea where I heard/read this, but I remember it from somewhere. :lol:

Quite possibly made it up.

They only have that land because they are the monarchy. It should rightfully be returned to the people. As if we'd hand it all over to what would, in the event, be a private family of work shy toffs.

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #26 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
I used to be a staunch royalist becuse of the heritage and Tourist attraction.  Then I read something by Robbie Coltrane about standing in line to meet one of them and he suddenly thought that their DNA was no better than his.  From that time I stopped being an apologist.   
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline LiquidAK

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:26:07 PM »
Don't know much about it, but isn't part of the benefits of them that they own a f***-tonne of land which is basically given to the public to use? Removing them as the Royal Family would cost the public loads of land. No idea where I heard/read this, but I remember it from somewhere. :lol:

They only have that land because they are the monarchy. It should rightfully be returned to the people. As if we'd hand it all over to what would, in the event, be a private family of work shy toffs.

Not really how human-rights work though, just confiscating land from what would be, in the event, British citizens.

And fwiw, I assume the reason they have the land in the first place is because their ancestors conquered it, same as just about any owned land ever. Same reason the American government owns most of North America etc. In an ideal world that land should really be returned to the Native Americans who originated there, but it won't be. Extreme example but the same concept.
« Last Edit: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:38:25 PM by LiquidAK »

Offline LiquidAK

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:27:06 PM »

Pretty good video on the subject, which I happen to agree with. Just to provide some balance to the thread. :dontknow:

Offline Haz

• General Member
« Reply #29 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
And i wouldn't give Kate Middleton one.  Be like dry humping an Ironing board.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #30 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:28:52 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_intervention_in_the_Russian_Civil_War

I also found this out a couple of year back, never knew it took place.

That was an interesting read, never knew about that.

Yeah, it surprised me when I found out.  It never ever gets mentioned for such a big intervention from major foreign powers.

Very odd it gets ignored.

love finding out things like that on wikipedia.

on a related note, check out how identical Tsar Nicholas and King George looked:

Apparently when Nicholas abdicated Britain was prepared to offer him and his family asylum...only for George, his close cousin, to overturn the decision based on a fear it might spark a communist revolution here.

Offline cfcmagpies

• General Member
« Reply #31 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:42:48 PM »
Anachronistic. Get rid.
"Whenever I have a nightmare it isn't in colour.  It's always black and white, the colours of the meanest, toughest  club ever to run on to a football field.  Collingwood.  I've laboured the point of my hatred of Collingwood and it isn't a friendly dislike - as a club they rankle me.  You couldn't like them, they think they are God's gift to football, they shun all outsiders and the only time I like to think of Collingwood is when they lose, because it hurts them so much. I've always been a bad loser, but I'm a good sport compared to Collingwood.  If they win they gloat, if they lose they hide themselves away and sulk.  When they lose they never visit your rooms or congratulate you and they'll send you round hot beer to have a drink.  I wouldn't drink anything they offered, you wouldn't know what they had done to it." Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer.

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #32 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:43:36 PM »

Not really how human-rights work though, just confiscating land from what would be, in the event, British citizens.

And fwiw, I assume the reason they have the land in the first place is because their ancestors conquered it, same as just about any owned land ever. Same reason the American government owns most of North America etc. In an ideal world that land should really be returned to the Native Americans who originated there, but it won't be. Extreme example but the same concept.

Uh not really, we could do what we like. It's an absurd argument. The Queen owns that land now but is not allowed to personally benefit from it. Oh noes, her human rights have been infringed, but that's impossible!!

Similar situation - the armed forces pledge allegiance to the monarch, the queen is their commander in chief, they are sub-ordinate to her  - oh s***, a private citizen is going to have a private army of 200,000 people. Um no, we'd just inherit the armed forces as well.

Offline Haz

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Chas benefits from the Duchy of Cornwall, so does the Duke of Westminster.  Get rid.

- William Ernest Henley

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #34 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:45:45 PM »
Not sure if I would be comfortable with the country being a republic.

Offline LiquidAK

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:46:51 PM »

Uh not really, we could do what we like. It's an absurd argument. The Queen owns that land now but is not allowed to personally benefit from it. Oh noes, her human rights have been infringed, but that's impossible!!

Similar situation - the armed forces pledge allegiance to the monarch, the queen is their commander in chief, they are sub-ordinate to her  - oh s***, a private citizen is going to have a private army of 200,000 people. Um no, we'd just inherit the armed forces as well.

Hardly an absurd argument to suggest that confiscating private land without just cause is against human rights laws. We can't just "do what we like".

The army thing is quite different given that there are no laws for the right to an army. I'd be interested to read about precedents, examples of monarchies that have gone and what happened to those armies.

Offline Haz

• General Member
« Reply #36 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:47:06 PM »
What could be the downside of an elected President?

- William Ernest Henley

Offline Haz

• General Member
« Reply #37 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:47:59 PM »

Hardly an absurd argument to suggest that confiscating private land without just cause is against human rights laws. We can't just "do what we like".

Pension them off; pension to cease after second generation.

- William Ernest Henley

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #38 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:48:03 PM »

Well. why would we need to change to begin with?  Whats wrong with what we have no...its worked for a very long time.

Offline Haz

• General Member
« Reply #39 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:50:00 PM »

Well. why would we need to change to begin with?  Whats wrong with what we have no...its worked for a very long time.

They are an anachronism in this day and age.  We shouldn't have a an anointed head of government (even if only titular).

- William Ernest Henley

Offline LiquidAK

• General Member
« Reply #40 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:51:13 PM »

Pension them off; pension to cease after second generation.

Would surely have to be agreed to though? It'd be forcing money on someone who doesn't want to sell. Generous stealing if you like. :lol:

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #41 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:53:36 PM »

are you for real? The Queen and all her trappings only come with the consent of parliament and the people. throughout history there have been numerous examples of stripping back regal rights and privileges, even removing them altogether and confiscating their land. As it is the queen at this very moment is not allowed to benefit from the Crown Estate - but, but, how is that possible!? It's an infringement upon someone's use of their own land, surely? No, it's an agreement that's been made. In the unlikely event of a republic, the queen would really be no in position to bargain, unless you of course also believe she'd be keeping the armed forces as well (which surely you do?).

Anyway, from wikipedia - "Although still belonging to the monarch and inherent with the accession of the throne, it is no longer the private property of the reigning monarch and cannot be sold by him/her, nor do the revenues from it belong to the monarch personally".

It's pretty clear that this is not an ordinary 'private property' situation.

Offline LiquidAK

• General Member
« Reply #42 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 07:00:38 PM »

are you for real? The Queen and all her trappings only come with the consent of parliament and the people. throughout history there have been numerous examples of stripping back regal rights and privileges, even removing them altogether and confiscating their land. As it is the queen at this very moment is not allowed to benefit from the Crown Estate - but, but, how is that possible!? It's an infringement upon someone's use of their own land, surely? No, it's an agreement that's been made. In the unlikely event of a republic, the queen would really be no in position to bargain, unless you of course also believe she'd be keeping the armed forces as well (which surely you do?).

Anyway, from wikipedia - "Although still belonging to the monarch and inherent with the accession of the throne, it is no longer the private property of the reigning monarch and cannot be sold by him/her, nor do the revenues from it belong to the monarch personally".

It's pretty clear that this is not an ordinary 'private property' situation.

Yes, I am for real, and trying to have a polite discussion.

I'd like to see some evidence for what you say, i.e. that the land they have is only their's through consent of the people. According to the video I posted earlier they do own the crown-lands and choose not to benefit from them, by voluntarily giving up the revenue. In other words, it's something that in the case of deposition could be reneged on.

Were we to remove the monarchy, they would revert to being private British citizens, so I'm not sure the part you quoted from wikipedia would still be relevant.

And no, of course I don't think they'd keep the army. For one thing, the army pledge allegiance to the Queen, the institution, rather than Elizabeth the person. Once the monarchy was gone I assume the allegiance pledged would be invalid.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #43 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
I'll pop in when this kicks off proper.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #44 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 07:02:14 PM »
I'll pop in when this kicks off proper.

:lol:

Ive still not seen a good reason to welly them out yet.

Offline Haz

• General Member
« Reply #45 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 07:07:33 PM »
Haven't the Royal family, for a few centuries, been there by consent of Parliament and the people?  Since Charles II?

- William Ernest Henley

Offline LiquidAK

• General Member
« Reply #46 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 07:15:01 PM »
f*** it, researched it myself. :lol: Seems some of the land is Elizabeth Windsor's and some of it is the Crowns.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 07:17:44 PM »

Offline JB

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 07:44:44 PM »

Pretty good video on the subject, which I happen to agree with. Just to provide some balance to the thread. :dontknow:
Was going to post this, sums up why I think they should stay.
I'm proper wet now. Want stifler to hockle on is.

elbee909

« Reply #49 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 08:18:22 PM »
Make us more money than they cost so don't care.