Poll

Should we abolish the Monarchy?

Yes
114 (62.6%)
No
68 (37.4%)

Total Members Voted: 181

Author Topic: The Royal Family - Get To F*ck  (Read 123048 times)

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
The Royal Family - Get To F*ck
« on: Monday 3 September 2012, 08:01:10 AM »
Thought I'd make a thread where I can vent, generally daily, about how much I hate these parasitic b******s.  They've been on nothing but a PR move for the last two years, and it's still going on. 

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/09/prince-andrew-to-leap-off-shard-skyscraper/ - Look how ordinary they are.  They're just like us, they like to have fun. :rolleyes:

We don't need a Monarchy in this day and age.  Go on, give me your best tourism argument.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 26 July 2016, 07:23:39 PM by BlufPurdi »
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
Re: The Royal Family - Get To F*ck
« Reply #1 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
I concur.
I have put forward the 'But, what use are they?' argument many times, and the reply is always, Tourism.
Well, if that is the case, seeing as my manor - Camden, is the 2nd biggest tourist attraction in London, in terms of numbers, than shoudn't us Camden residents get a huge house free on the state and obscene amounts of money for basically turning up at events looking we've been sucking lemon juice off a sherbet dab? (The queen).

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 01:54:59 PM »
I dont think it is logical to have them but I cant see to many people wanting to change to a republic.

Offline toon25

• General Member
« Reply #3 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
Thought I'd make a thread where I can vent, generally daily, about how much I hate these parasitic b******s.  They've been on nothing but a PR move for the last two years, and it's still going on. 

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/09/prince-andrew-to-leap-off-shard-skyscraper/ - Look how ordinary they are.  They're just like us, they like to have fun. :rolleyes:

We don't need a Monarchy in this day and age.  Go on, give me your best tourism argument.

:clap:
f***ing bang on. Couldn't agree more.

Offline garth

• General Member
  • Save a whale, eat a Japanese!
« Reply #4 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 02:56:06 PM »
Should have done what Stalin did to his lot of Royals, at least all that wealth could be put to good use. As in hospital and schools.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 03:01:09 PM »
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 03:04:39 PM »
Should have done what Stalin did to his lot of Royals, at least all that wealth could be put to good use. As in hospital and schools.

It wasn't at Stalins command tbh, it was before him iirc.

He was a party member tho, i think.

People were asking for change in Russia and the aristocracy tried to ignore it until it was to late. 

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 03:08:02 PM »
Aye the tsar abdicated after public discontent with the incompetence he showed during the war and giving people like Rasputin a lot of power

And then obviously was killed with his family

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #8 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
Pippa Middleton's arse

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #9 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 03:13:30 PM »
The French revolution was just as brutal as well.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 03:20:09 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_intervention_in_the_Russian_Civil_War

I also found this out a couple of year back, never knew it took place.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 03:47:26 PM »
I concur.
I have put forward the 'But, what use are they?' argument many times, and the reply is always, Tourism.
Well, if that is the case, seeing as my manor - Camden, is the 2nd biggest tourist attraction in London, in terms of numbers, than shoudn't us Camden residents get a huge house free on the state and obscene amounts of money for basically turning up at events looking we've been sucking lemon juice off a sherbet dab? (The queen).

Except people don't go to Camden to see the residents or look at their houses.

Offline garth

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 04:49:07 PM »

That was an interesting read, never knew about that.

Offline Doctor Zaius

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 05:30:28 PM »

It wasn't at Stalins command tbh, it was before him iirc.

He was a party member tho, i think.

People were asking for change in Russia and the aristocracy tried to ignore it until it was to late. 

It was Lenin who ordered their execution. Either way it's a comparison that makes no sense as Nicholas' abdication was down to his actions as opposed to his status.

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
If we became a republic overnight, I reckon it wouldn't make the slightest difference except we would inherit a vast art collection and a few excellent buildings that would contribute to the tourist figures.   
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 05:54:51 PM »

Yeah, it surprised me when I found out.  It never ever gets mentioned for such a big intervention from major foreign powers.

Very odd it gets ignored.

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:08:44 PM »
If we became a republic overnight, I reckon it wouldn't make the slightest difference except we would inherit a vast art collection and a few excellent buildings that would contribute to the tourist figures.   

The Royal Collection is one of the greatest art treasures on the planet and worth billions. Pity we never really get to see it bar a couple of pieces here and there for a few weeks a year in poorly curated corridors.

Even if we keep the Royals, we should kick them out of Buckingham Palace and turn it into a museum to showcase the collection - overnight London finally gets a tourist attraction able to compete with the Louvre - which is of course the 3rd most visited royal palace on the planet. And in a Republic. The 2nd most visited is Versailles - which also lacks its old royal family. and in the top spot is the forbidden city in beijing, which has long lacked its royal presence. hmm seeing a pattern emerging here...

Offline garth

• General Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:13:40 PM »

Yeah, it surprised me when I found out.  It never ever gets mentioned for such a big intervention from major foreign powers.

Like a lot of conflicts, there is lot we don't hear about. At the end of the second world, Finland was relying on help from Swedish and American also British mercenaries to fight the Russians, didn't win though. Still they had to give up a lot of territory to the Russians as war payments, over one third, from the original borders.

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:16:59 PM »

love finding out things like that on wikipedia.

on a related note, check out how identical Tsar Nicholas and King George looked:

Apparently when Nicholas abdicated Britain was prepared to offer him and his family asylum...only for George, his close cousin, to overturn the decision based on a fear it might spark a communist revolution here.

Offline Haz

• General Member
« Reply #19 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:18:27 PM »
Not surprising they look alike.  They are all inbred and intermarried.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline LiquidAK

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:18:37 PM »
Don't know much about it, but isn't part of the benefits of them that they own a f***-tonne of land which is basically given to the public to use? Removing them as the Royal Family would cost the public loads of land. No idea where I heard/read this, but I remember it from somewhere. :lol:

Quite possibly made it up.

Offline garth

• General Member
« Reply #21 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:20:10 PM »

on a related note, check out how identical Tsar Nicholas and King George looked:

Apparently when Nicholas abdicated Britain was prepared to offer him and his family asylum...only for George, his close cousin, to overturn the decision based on a fear it might spark a communist revolution here.

Weren't they cousins or something?

Offline Haz

• General Member
« Reply #22 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
Everything they own is officially on our behalf.  There's no financial downside to getting rid.

- William Ernest Henley

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:21:26 PM »

Yep, close cousins.

Offline Haz

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Monday 3 September 2012, 06:22:06 PM »

Yup.  Mostly the products of Victoria's lineage.

- William Ernest Henley