Author Topic: Your Football  (Read 39917 times)

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
Re: Your Football
« Reply #800 on: Thursday 21 November 2019, 07:38:58 PM »
Terrible, and no idea how to improve.

I can short pass off the left OK, but shooting is completely random.

Weirdly I find dribbling past people to the left easier, I guess because I move the ball left with the right foot and then just push it forward with the left.

You’ve got a very good first touch and decent control, you look gangly with the ball at feet to start with, but move with it really well mate which surprised me. LFEE and ON are the same, tall guys. I don’t like playing against you put it that way, git :lol:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
« Reply #801 on: Thursday 21 November 2019, 10:03:35 PM »
How good are you on your weaker foot? Was it natural or did you train to improve it? Tore some muscle in my right leg and I’m incredibly dismayed right now. Apparently Morton Gamst Pederson was naturally right footed and his dad told him to train left footed and he made a career of it which blows my mind. Doing the training I’ve seen in the video below. It’s really boring but steady improvements are being made.

I’m better on my left than I am on my right, my natural foot. Practiced for hours every evening against a wall, just me and a ball, later learned Super Mac did the same, best way to develop your weaker foot and aid technique, shooting accuracy, and general touch and feel for being comfortable IMO. It’s all about training your foot, building up its strength and getting your nerve ends or whatever connected to your foot to engage with the ones in your brain to control your reflexes, muscles, intuition. My 5 year old seems quite natural, I’ve only recently asked him to try using his left instead of his right and to practice more but he seems naturally two footed. He still prefers using his right, but when the occasion instinctively demands using his left, he does so and with aplomb. Starting at a young age is a must, I started at 11 or so. Now, without bragging, I’m a top notch finisher on either foot, whatever technique, whatever range. Shame about my passing though (either foot) :lol:

Wow. Mind if I ask how long it took to finally get comfortable on your left? Can’t imagine being better on my left than my right. I’m sure the game becomes much easier. I really can’t wait tbh.

Offline ElDiablo

• General Member
« Reply #802 on: Thursday 21 November 2019, 11:45:08 PM »
With shooting, really concentrating on where and when to plant your right foot before the shot helped me loads. Before it was just random and I'd lose full balance or power.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #803 on: Friday 22 November 2019, 08:06:13 AM »
How good are you on your weaker foot? Was it natural or did you train to improve it? Tore some muscle in my right leg and I’m incredibly dismayed right now. Apparently Morton Gamst Pederson was naturally right footed and his dad told him to train left footed and he made a career of it which blows my mind. Doing the training I’ve seen in the video below. It’s really boring but steady improvements are being made.

I’m better on my left than I am on my right, my natural foot. Practiced for hours every evening against a wall, just me and a ball, later learned Super Mac did the same, best way to develop your weaker foot and aid technique, shooting accuracy, and general touch and feel for being comfortable IMO. It’s all about training your foot, building up its strength and getting your nerve ends or whatever connected to your foot to engage with the ones in your brain to control your reflexes, muscles, intuition. My 5 year old seems quite natural, I’ve only recently asked him to try using his left instead of his right and to practice more but he seems naturally two footed. He still prefers using his right, but when the occasion instinctively demands using his left, he does so and with aplomb. Starting at a young age is a must, I started at 11 or so. Now, without bragging, I’m a top notch finisher on either foot, whatever technique, whatever range. Shame about my passing though (either foot) :lol:

Wow. Mind if I ask how long it took to finally get comfortable on your left? Can’t imagine being better on my left than my right. I’m sure the game becomes much easier. I really can’t wait tbh.

About 1 year to get comfortable, obviously after that it’s a case of just keep using it and keep improving, now wether I use my right or left it’s purely down to instinct or if the situation demands which foot I end up using. I recommend doing foot exercises, just moving it right to left, up and down, twisting it etc as it’s all about building the strength of your foot and getting those nerves and brain fully connected so it becomes more than just a foot to plant down and walk on.

When I was coaching my nephew years ago, we’d go to the park and for a month solid he wasn’t allowed to use his right foot, we’d do left foot only dribbling drills, shooting, passing, crossing, control, penalties even. He become two footed after than and very good within a year or two.

I’m a s*** footballer, but I can genuinely say I’m two footed and in terms of shooting I’m top-notch on either foot, more so my left. There is no excuse not to use and be equally good on your weaker foot. My 5 year old has recently started playing Futsal and I’m impressed with their methods to get kids to improve their weaker foot, lots of rolling the ball with toe taps, pushing the ball using the sole, the toe point, instep and side step between each foot etc. All the kids at my son’s class can comfortably use either foot and these are 7-9 year olds. My son is the youngest there and just me encouraging him to use his left or try over the last 6 months means he got an early start in developing it and now, again, it’s instinct whether he uses it or not, but he can that’s the main thing.

Good luck and keep practicing :thup:

Offline KDT

• General Member
« Reply #804 on: Friday 22 November 2019, 08:12:41 AM »
When I was playing regularly at school and in my early twenties my left foot was pretty decent and I even had a few teammates think that was my natural foot and the only reason I was in the team. Without regular practice now it's pretty much gone, just like 95% of the footballing ability I had.

I can't see why more right footed kids don't want to play with their left though, I can remember going to the field with my Dad and trying to take free kicks like Rivaldo or hit long range efforts like Robert, surely they now want to try and copy Messi.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #805 on: Friday 22 November 2019, 08:20:27 AM »
When I was playing regularly at school and in my early twenties my left foot was pretty decent and I even had a few teammates think that was my natural foot and the only reason I was in the team. Without regular practice now it's pretty much gone, just like 95% of the footballing ability I had.

I can't see why more right footed kids don't want to play with their left though, I can remember going to the field with my Dad and trying to take free kicks like Rivaldo or hit long range efforts like Robert, surely they now want to try and copy Messi.

Least you had a decent career after you left Newcastle though.

Oh and fully agree!

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #806 on: Friday 22 November 2019, 11:57:56 AM »

Weirdly I find dribbling past people to the left easier, I guess because I move the ball left with the right foot and then just push it forward with the left.

You’ve got a very good first touch and decent control, you look gangly with the ball at feet to start with, but move with it really well mate which surprised me. LFEE and ON are the same, tall guys. I don’t like playing against you put it that way, git :lol:

Haha, cheers, I like a dribble when I'm fit. Tried to learn about space and where people don't want to go.

I've never really been on a proper football team with coaching and training, so I never had good foundations. Everything came later in life through just watching football and playing small sides.

Everything depends on weight and doing the ankle exercises now though, quite quickly become completely unable to affect the game otherwise.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #807 on: Friday 22 November 2019, 12:15:01 PM »

Haha, cheers, I like a dribble when I'm fit. Tried to learn about space and where people don't want to go.

I've never really been on a proper football team with coaching and training, so I never had good foundations. Everything came later in life through just watching football and playing small sides.

Everything depends on weight and doing the ankle exercises now though, quite quickly become completely unable to affect the game otherwise.

Same here, no teams or coaching just lots of street footy, so much I did my shin splits, something in common with my childhood idol Andy Cole :lol:

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #808 on: Friday 22 November 2019, 12:18:35 PM »
My (weaker) left is probably better than my right, like. I think it's just a case of not being scared to use it. It's infuriating watching people stop to shift it onto their stronger foot time after time.

Weirdly there are things that I can only do well with my left foot; if I attempt a right-footed rabona I'll end up on the deck.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #809 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 06:01:35 PM »
Playing 5aside for the first time since early December tonight, going to be f***ing awful.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #810 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 06:09:55 PM »
:lol:

I’m playing tomorrow, I’m s**** at it.

Got the assist of my life at 7s this week, people compared it to Ronaldinho.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #811 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 09:48:08 PM »
Played tonight for the first time in over 2 months, we drew in the end 10-10, we were 5 down at one point, it was tough, I played at the back again but did OK and grabbed a canny goal. Good to be back, think I’ve hurt my foot putting a block on though, currently have an ice pack over it.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #812 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 11:25:58 PM »
Playing 5aside for the first time since early December tonight, going to be f***ing awful.

Scored twice, was s**** and know my left foot and ankle are going to be painful as f*** tomorrow. What a life.