Author Topic: Members pets- show off your beasts  (Read 88594 times)

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
  • You can’t understand white without knowing black
Re: Members pets- show off your beasts
« Reply #1650 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 05:31:48 PM »
Yup, completely blind in the space of a few weeks. Haven’t stopped f***ing crying since he’s come back from the vets. What a parcel.

So yeah, if anyone has any experience with this give me a message, any info and tips welcome.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #1651 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 06:26:45 PM »
Sad news man :(

Ultimately it's all about maintaining quality of life. When I was younger we had a spaniel that was completely blind for probably the last two or three years of his life but he was still a waggy tailed and happy thing, and he got to know his way about in the dark absolutely fine. He could still go for leader walks ok, and while it was hard not being able to take him down the beach and let him just run any more we kept him and looked after him until other elements of old age reduced his quality of life and left him in pain.

It's a horrible thing to have to deal with but they're resilient creatures and they learn to get by just like we do. Create him a space where everything is always in the same place and speak to him more than you used to, and see how he does.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
  • You can’t understand white without knowing black
« Reply #1652 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 09:00:07 PM »
Cheers man. Be a few days for us just processing it. He’s fine. He’s loving the extra cuddles and fuss. We’ve since had the bloods back from the vets. Perfectly healthy and it’s simply failed retinas. It will have been going on a while but he’s lost that last % and that’s when we’ve noticed. Feel s*** for not clicking on sooner, but feel a bit better it wasn’t sudden and he’s had time to adjust.

To be fair he toddles around the ground floor of the house knowing where everything is. Can feed himself, knows where his bed is, go out for weeks etc... and back in. Knows where we’re sitting, just can’t get back up as he can’t judge where the sofa is. So lots of hope we adjust and make things easier for him and he still has a good life. I’ve joined a blind dogs fb page for support and ideas, had a look tonight but can’t do it right now, too soon to be reading others stories.

Offline Pixelphish

• General Member
« Reply #1653 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 09:10:37 PM »
Yup, completely blind in the space of a few weeks. Haven’t stopped f***ing crying since he’s come back from the vets. What a parcel.

So yeah, if anyone has any experience with this give me a message, any info and tips welcome.

Really hard news TT and probably a bit of a shock even though you suspected it. This might sound ridiculous and I hope you take it in the good intention its meant when its still raw, but knowing dogs and their insane senses, this is probably harder for you than it is for him! Hope he adjusts as fast as possible :thup:
Aye. Just felt I did it at the same time as you and you came out tops every time. Just in a bad mood now after Pixelhax.

Have to get this out now:

Pixel you're either hacking with the demo, or you're too f***ing good to constantly hammer us to the ground with it every time we play. Starts to take the p*ss a bit. I mean, I don't want you to not enjoy the game, but at the same time I'd quite like to enjoy playing it too.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #1654 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 09:18:11 PM »
Dogs adjust really well to going blind usually. Just make sure you talk to him loads, keep his water in the same place, keep the floors as clear as possible, make sure there are no obvious dangers.

Blind dogs love noise so simply leaving the radio on when you’re out will help.

One of my boys went blind when he was 5 but he adapted within a matter of weeks. All about routine; make sure things don’t move around.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #1655 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 10:33:07 AM »

Offline samptime29

• General Member
  • Come at the King, you better not miss...
« Reply #1656 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 10:57:13 AM »
Class photos  :smitten:

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #1657 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 12:59:04 PM »

My cat went blind after her seizure in June.
One of her joys in life was sitting in the window watching the squirrels and foxes in the back garden, so it was heartbreaking to see her struggle to locate her way around the house she has lived in for 14 years.
Obviously, we were told that her kidneys had failed and the high blood pressure - which caused the blindness - was a consequence of that.
We tried to make her last few months as happy as we could, but like you, I was devastated by it.

Offline UncleBingo

• General Member
« Reply #1658 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
Our 11 week old Beagle.........I've grown up with dogs but this is the first puppy I've had, honestly looking after babies is far easier. Absolutely exhausted, although should get better when I can start to take her outside for walks next week!

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #1659 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 02:11:40 PM »
Our 11 week old Beagle.........I've grown up with dogs but this is the first puppy I've had, honestly looking after babies is far easier. Absolutely exhausted, although should get better when I can start to take her outside for walks next week!

She's adorable.

:aww:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #1660 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 02:15:20 PM »

I always forget what an absolute nightmare puppies are :lol:  We go six or seven years between them so I'd just forgotten what a little f***er Lola used to be and instead she's taken her place in my mind as Finest Of All Hounds And Always Has Been, then Rosie turns up chewing stuff and pissing everywhere and wildly barking at stuff and I know this is all stuff that Lola did as well but it's gone from my mind completely.  Same thing happened with Maisie and Lola in their turn, ad infinitum :lol:

Nice dog, though :)

Offline UncleBingo

• General Member
« Reply #1661 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 02:17:39 PM »

She's adorable.

Cheers.

She is for 90% of the time, but not so much when she sinks her razor teeth into your big toe or wrecks your best trainers. We're literally taking shifts to look after her at the minute and getting some rest in between!  :lol:

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #1662 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 02:18:36 PM »

She's adorable.

Cheers.

She is for 90% of the time, but not so much when she sinks her razor teeth into your big toe or wrecks your best trainers. We're literally taking shifts to look after her at the minute and getting some rest in between!  :lol:

Don't say that :lol:, I want a Beagle when I buy my first place

Offline Lazarus

• General Member
« Reply #1663 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 03:17:34 PM »
Aye puppies are great but hard work.

We had a cavalier king charles spaniel when i was younger and she was a puppy right up until 6 or 7 years old.

Basically ran everywhere. and i mean proper sprinted.

She ended having a few exercise induced fits but quietened down and lived until she was 13.  :'(

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #1664 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 05:08:36 PM »

Two more

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #1665 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 05:23:54 PM »
Cat is slowly morphing into a dog.

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #1666 on: Friday 26 February 2021, 05:31:16 PM »
I can't wait until the day that I let my cat out onto the balcony, let alone out into a yard. I'm so nervous. :lol:

And a recent photo of my dude to keep the thread going: