Author Topic: Experiences of depression and anxiety  (Read 141372 times)

Offline Mike

• General Member
Re: Experiences of depression and anxiety
« Reply #2250 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 01:15:26 PM »
Honestly it sounds like the majority of your stress is coming from your vices? We've got a few people here who know how to help you work on that. :thup:

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2251 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 01:19:31 PM »
Yeah it is, I have zero impulse control I just self destruct everything, I dunno man, I’m not seeing the point in life atm, I have easy ways out and it’s hard not to take them. I mean I don’t want to live really
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2252 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 01:23:36 PM »
[emoji38] I've been there, man. You owe it to yourself to try and deal with the things you can conquer before you take permanent measures. Again, @Interpolic and @Jill are incredible examples of turning everything around and you can talk to them anytime you like. They're here like everyday. :) .

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #2253 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 02:17:42 PM »
Fired you a PM, ManDoon. Keep reaching out and talking about how you feel either with one of us or in this thread. Can't put into words my gratitude for the folk here helping drag me through some dark times.

Offline samptime29

• General Member
  • Come at the King, you better not miss...
« Reply #2254 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 02:26:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that ManDoon, hope things improve for you.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #2255 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 04:08:35 PM »
[emoji38] I've been there, man. You owe it to yourself to try and deal with the things you can conquer before you take permanent measures. Again, @Interpolic and @Jill are incredible examples of turning everything around and you can talk to them anytime you like. They're here like everyday. :) .

Apologies but I find this quite comical Mike, as I've spent much of the last few years wishing I was drunk or dead :lol: Feel like I'm coming out the other side a bit now though.  Persistence and trying an absolute ton of different things to improve matters, hopefully coming to fruition a bit now.

@ManDoon - it's not up to me or Jill or any other alchie to diagnose or assess or judge or whatever.  But it does sound like your relationship with alcohol etc is worth looking into at least.  If you're leaning on it constantly to modulate how you feel it'll only go one way.  If it's beginning to cause more problems than it solves then similar.  I used to drink to forget how much I hated myself and it worked, but eventually ended up suicidal every time I was drunk.

Jill's a far better example than me these days as she actually goes to AA meetings :lol: I'd suggest checking a meeting out personally, even if you're not sure about it.  I did that for about a year before I stopped and it was important for my understanding, for acceptance and for planting the seed.

And goes without saying you're a smashing chap so don't do anything stupid.  Try a few things first, to improve your chances of a bit of happiness.  It's scary at this stage for sure but it's do-able and will get better if you make a few changes.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2256 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 04:16:27 PM »
But you're not dead. You're a new man and a massive inspiration. [emoji38]

Offline Jill

• General Member
« Reply #2257 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 04:53:51 PM »
I never would've even worked up the courage to go to a meeting if it wasn't for Polic so I refuse to accept that I'm any better at being in recovery.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2258 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 04:56:15 PM »
:lol: I was certain that was how I remembered the timeline, but wasn't sure enough.

Howay Polic you inspirational motherfucker.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #2259 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 05:51:06 PM »
[emoji38] Pfffft whatevs.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
« Reply #2260 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 06:24:17 PM »
Would never have thought you were going through that sort of trouble, ManDoon. You're class, please don't do owt daft.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2261 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 06:27:12 PM »

Apologies but I find this quite comical Mike, as I've spent much of the last few years wishing I was drunk or dead :lol: Feel like I'm coming out the other side a bit now though.  Persistence and trying an absolute ton of different things to improve matters, hopefully coming to fruition a bit now.

@ManDoon - it's not up to me or Jill or any other alchie to diagnose or assess or judge or whatever.  But it does sound like your relationship with alcohol etc is worth looking into at least.  If you're leaning on it constantly to modulate how you feel it'll only go one way.  If it's beginning to cause more problems than it solves then similar.  I used to drink to forget how much I hated myself and it worked, but eventually ended up suicidal every time I was drunk.

Jill's a far better example than me these days as she actually goes to AA meetings :lol: I'd suggest checking a meeting out personally, even if you're not sure about it.  I did that for about a year before I stopped and it was important for my understanding, for acceptance and for planting the seed.

And goes without saying you're a smashing chap so don't do anything stupid.  Try a few things first, to improve your chances of a bit of happiness.  It's scary at this stage for sure but it's do-able and will get better if you make a few changes.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. You're right drink to feel better but then all I do is feel way worse about myself at the time, and the next day is torture. Need to get it in check asap.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2262 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 06:27:50 PM »
Would never have thought you were going through that sort of trouble, ManDoon. You're class, please don't do owt daft.

Mastered the art of appearing fine on the outside  :lol: shouldn't laugh, but thanks man I appreciate it

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #2263 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 07:03:10 PM »

Apologies but I find this quite comical Mike, as I've spent much of the last few years wishing I was drunk or dead [emoji38] Feel like I'm coming out the other side a bit now though.  Persistence and trying an absolute ton of different things to improve matters, hopefully coming to fruition a bit now.

Jill's a far better example than me these days as she actually goes to AA meetings [emoji38] I'd suggest checking a meeting out personally, even if you're not sure about it.  I did that for about a year before I stopped and it was important for my understanding, for acceptance and for planting the seed.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. You're right drink to feel better but then all I do is feel way worse about myself at the time, and the next day is torture. Need to get it in check asap.

You'll not wanna hear this but that and a few other things you've said in the past sound very familiar to me tbh. Sounds like alcohol has been a solution for a long time and it's stopped working. Negatives massively outweigh the positives now. Always happens when doing it to excess unfortunately. I managed about 15 years hammering it almost hassle free then overnight it sent me mental and got scary.

If your drinking is heavy and regular then when you're ready you'll need to make sure if you stop then you stop safely. Really dangerous just stopping out of nowhere if that's the situation. It's so worth it though as there's nowt as bleak as being drunk or hungover once you've hit that wall.

Small steps first anyway though, check out a meeting and chat to Jill. Start doing some reading about it. Listen to AA speaker tapes. Don't put pressure on it, just start planting the seed in your mind and working out what the best way forward is for you.

All the best man and keep reaching out.

Offline morla84

• General Member
« Reply #2264 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 07:11:23 PM »
Haven't smoked in more than three weeks and drank in over two weeks, so despite a very stressful period at work I haven't been feeling quite so anxious over the past couple of weeks. Hopefully can keep this going

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2265 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 07:20:57 PM »

Apologies but I find this quite comical Mike, as I've spent much of the last few years wishing I was drunk or dead [emoji38] Feel like I'm coming out the other side a bit now though.  Persistence and trying an absolute ton of different things to improve matters, hopefully coming to fruition a bit now.

Jill's a far better example than me these days as she actually goes to AA meetings [emoji38] I'd suggest checking a meeting out personally, even if you're not sure about it.  I did that for about a year before I stopped and it was important for my understanding, for acceptance and for planting the seed.

You'll not wanna hear this but that and a few other things you've said in the past sound very familiar to me tbh. Sounds like alcohol has been a solution for a long time and it's stopped working. Negatives massively outweigh the positives now. Always happens when doing it to excess unfortunately. I managed about 15 years hammering it almost hassle free then overnight it sent me mental and got scary.

If your drinking is heavy and regular then when you're ready you'll need to make sure if you stop then you stop safely. Really dangerous just stopping out of nowhere if that's the situation. It's so worth it though as there's nowt as bleak as being drunk or hungover once you've hit that wall.

Small steps first anyway though, check out a meeting and chat to Jill. Start doing some reading about it. Listen to AA speaker tapes. Don't put pressure on it, just start planting the seed in your mind and working out what the best way forward is for you.

It makes me feel better to know someone has come through the other side and feels the same as me. I used to be totally fine, and I never craved drink really, but now I crave it near enough every night, even though it makes me feel s*** and i do completely ridiculous stuff, recently being trying to fight everyone in the bigg market, for no reason, embarrassing and pathetic. Thanks for the advice man, gonna start laying foundations to get better

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #2266 on: Thursday 16 January 2020, 09:01:36 PM »

This!
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #2267 on: Saturday 18 January 2020, 08:45:07 PM »

It makes me feel better to know someone has come through the other side and feels the same as me. I used to be totally fine, and I never craved drink really, but now I crave it near enough every night, even though it makes me feel s*** and i do completely ridiculous stuff, recently being trying to fight everyone in the bigg market, for no reason, embarrassing and pathetic. Thanks for the advice man, gonna start laying foundations to get better

One way or another for the last 20 years I’ve been pressing the self destruct button. Lost friends, relationships, money, brain cells, years off my life and none of that was enough to stop because I never knew why, so kept pushing to find out, but as you can imagine the answer isn’t there.

Help, although under extreme strain through lack of funding is there, and when you get it the people who support are amazing. Hopefully you follow through and find your answers.

Offline Consortium of one

• General Member
« Reply #2268 on: Monday 20 January 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
Mandoon, hang in there.  I got clean and sober a long time ago but still remember the days and nights when i wanted to off myself.  I could no longer live in my own skin.  You have to find your own way.  AA worked for me but no matter how you do it you have to remember that its the first drink that gets you drunk.  One drink is too many and a thousand is not enough. 

I haven't posted much here but have followed the thread for quite a while.  There are good people here and we've been right where you are.  There is a way out.  You are worth it!

Offline Jill

• General Member
« Reply #2269 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 02:42:10 PM »
I guess it's linked to this thread more than any other - I'm 18 months sober today. :)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #2270 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 02:48:06 PM »
I guess it's linked to this thread more than any other - I'm 18 months sober today. :)

Superb.  :clap:

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #2271 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:00:34 PM »

Superb.  :clap:

:smitten:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Consortium of one

• General Member
« Reply #2272 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:08:58 PM »

YAY!

Offline samptime29

• General Member
  • Come at the King, you better not miss...
« Reply #2273 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:13:54 PM »
That's seriously impressive. Well done.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #2274 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:26:04 PM »

Immense Jill :indi: