Author Topic: Experiences of depression and anxiety  (Read 119240 times)

Online gbandit

• General Member
Re: Experiences of depression and anxiety
« Reply #2150 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 03:06:31 PM »
Honestly, coming into a thread on mental health and then basically undermining everyone’s experiences with complete ignorance should be a bannable offence. The thread is specifically about offering support not casting judgement. It’s straight out of the gammon playbook to come in with pure ignorance and arrogance and spout such utter s***

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • I'll snap your neck
« Reply #2151 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
There's a strong case to be made for over-prescription and/or abuse of opiods and the like but I honestly have never heard the hot take that anti-depressants/maoi inhibitors/etc were "fashionable" or a "rite of passage". "Oh everyone's on them I need to get on them too." - no one, ever

I dunno, I remember Prozac Nation coming out while I was a student working in record shops, and what you describe did exist in certain circles. I can name a couple of friends who went through a similar phase. Certainly doesn't allow somebody to dismiss the idea that MAOIs etc might actually be incredibly effective.
I thought most of that was "oh I need to get my kid on them because I don't know how to deal with them" which would be a different kettle of fish from adults voluntarily doing it to be trendy? There used to a map of the US showing it heavily prescribed to kids only on the east coast and stuff etc. Never read Prozac Nation, in case it's not obvious from something I said that's wildly off :lol:

There just shouldn't be any shame or stigma when seeking help if you need it.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #2152 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
There's a strong case to be made for over-prescription and/or abuse of opiods and the like but I honestly have never heard the hot take that anti-depressants/maoi inhibitors/etc were "fashionable" or a "rite of passage". "Oh everyone's on them I need to get on them too." - no one, ever

I dunno, I remember Prozac Nation coming out while I was a student working in record shops, and what you describe did exist in certain circles. I can name a couple of friends who went through a similar phase. Certainly doesn't allow somebody to dismiss the idea that MAOIs etc might actually be incredibly effective.
I thought most of that was "oh I need to get my kid on them because I don't know how to deal with them" which would be a different kettle of fish from adults voluntarily doing it to be trendy? There used to a map of the US showing it heavily prescribed to kids only on the east coast and stuff etc. Never read Prozac Nation, in case it's not obvious from something I said that's wildly off :lol:

There just shouldn't be any shame or stigma when seeking help if you need it.

I read it at the time and hated it IIRC :lol:. Can't remember exactly why. I do have a feeling that we didn't have the same wave of parents over-medicating their children that happened in the US, at least to the same extent.

I was in my early 20s and around people in their early 20s who were finding themselves. Some had issues with anxiety and depression, some - I suspect - did not. I was pretty aware of psychiatric meds because my Mom is bipolar, and had been on lithium for some time. The people I'm thinking of were young adults making those decisions for themselves.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Tyne81

• General Member
« Reply #2153 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 08:33:03 PM »
In my defence my argument is always against lazy docs and the power of big pharma companies. Love how I clearly say people who need help and the right medication is a f***ing amazing and truly life changing event. I just don't like how docs push pills onto any c*** who whinges a bit because he can't be arsed.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #2154 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
You so nearly made it out with that post, then you f***ed it. This thread isn't the place for the conversation you want to have. Read the f***ing room.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #2155 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 09:38:41 PM »
"How can I make a thread on a topic I know f*** all about all about me?"

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2156 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 09:59:41 PM »
The big pharma conspiracy theory falls apart in countries where healthcare is not a commodity.  The NHS buys generic versions of most antidepressants, including sertraline and prozac.  That's why the Americans want the NHS in a trade deal, so they can stop us using generics.

Offline Tyne81

• General Member
« Reply #2157 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:14:00 PM »

What? As in what you just have done.

Once again I'll clarify my point of view. I do believe pills and drugs are too readily available. I do believe people in certain states of need the help along with medication is a truly remarkable breakthrough in science and diagnostic study of the human biology makeup which is astounding and great for mankind.

The normalisation of being on meds and so easily dished out is a worry. If anyone has the balls to backup my point will know either their have battled addiction or know someone who has or to flip it been through some real s*** like losing a child, a friend, their parents and livelihood. But never took meds and faced it front on and came out stronger.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #2158 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:16:36 PM »

Once again I'll clarify my point of view. I do believe pills and drugs are too readily available. I do believe people in certain states of need the help along with medication is a truly remarkable breakthrough in science and diagnostic study of the human biology makeup which is astounding and great for mankind.

The normalisation of being on meds and so easily dished out is a worry. If anyone has the balls to backup my point will know either their have battled addiction or know someone who has or to flip it been through some real s*** like losing a child, a friend, their parents and livelihood. But never took meds and faced it front on and came out stronger.

Can you seriously just f*** off out of this thread? You are contributing nothing and actively taking away from good and honest conversations while you spew this bullshit. Just f*** off man, it's not hard.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Tyne81

• General Member
« Reply #2159 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:20:10 PM »

Can you seriously just f*** off out of this thread? You are contributing nothing and actively taking away from good and honest conversations while you spew this bullshit. Just f*** off man, it's not hard.

Why is my opinion so offensive ffs? The fact I don't agree with over medication on so many people who don't need it? How do pharma's make money if every c*** is A OK?

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2160 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:22:49 PM »
Because it's a lazy, poorly thought out opinion that's not based on fact.  Pharma doesn't make money on antidepressants, we buy the generics for pennies.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #2161 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:24:43 PM »

Why is my opinion so offensive ffs? The fact I don't agree with over medication on so many people who don't need it? How do pharma's make money if every c*** is A OK?

How many times do we have to f***ing tell you that this thread is not for a discussion about over medication or not? Start your own thread about that garbage if you want but it has no place in here.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #2162 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:33:43 PM »

You followed a few posts where people were discussing taking medication for their depression / anxiety by saying it was scary how prevalent medication was, or something along those lines. Which comes across like a dig at those people your post followed, who are trying to improve their mental state by talking to and following the advice of a medical professional. And posting about it in this thread which has historically been a safe place without judgement until you came barging in wanting to tell everyone your dead interesting opinion.

I'm not going to justify myself to you other than to say I have a long history with this stuff and have tried every potential solution there is. You won't put me off posting in here, you're nowt more than an annoyance to me but I will absolutely not allow you to potentially put others off posting honestly in this thread when it can and has been of help to a number of good people over many years.

You've admitted you have no experience of this yet you have the arrogance to come in here and patronise people with the misfortune to know it all too well, people who are trying to get through it and come in here for support.

Go to another thread and post your opinion. See how many bites you get. Not in here.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
« Reply #2163 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
It's clear he's got no clue how depression works. It doesn't take a major life trauma to be depressed. Getting through a major life trauma without needing meds doesn't mean you're proper nails. Everyone who takes drugs long term isn't addicted.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #2164 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 11:07:22 PM »
Shame you never came in to discuss the depression and instead generalise about the whole industry. For the best part of a day people have tried to tell you to knock it on the head with that particular stuff, increasingly getting more frustrated with you not getting the point. 

Let me make it clear. Unless you have issues to discuss regarding depression or anxiety, as it says on the tin, please take your drug industry critique to the drugs thread.

If not, no choice but to mute or ban you. Isn't about the rules, just a common decency. 
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
« Reply #2165 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 11:08:09 PM »
Sorry for your losses. No one should have to go through all of that.

However, it doesn't mean you have a clue what you're f***ing talking about here.

Offline Tyne81

• General Member
« Reply #2166 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 11:22:29 PM »
Sorry ladz should have just said I'm a bit knackered and now on blueies for a forum wankathon

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #2167 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 11:37:54 PM »
f*** it, p*ss off.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #2168 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 11:39:09 PM »
Sorry ladz should have just said I'm a bit knackered and now on blueies for a forum wankathon
f*** off.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #2169 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 11:48:11 PM »
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Online Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #2170 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
:lol: Guy has been a w***** since the moment he got on the forum. Total sub-gammon.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Consortium of one

• General Member
« Reply #2171 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 04:35:49 PM »

I can't quite get your point with this post but I think I can...

I was a garbage can as a teenager to my 30s.  Reefer, hallucinogenics, meth, speed and booze.  When I sobered up in 1992 I was drinking a quart a vodka a day and had been smoking crack for about 3 years.  I've attended AA since 1992.  After my Dad died in 2002 as a result of Alzheimers I went into a depression for about 18 months.  Being a sober person (even though I know many people in AA on prescription drugs) I passed on "getting help".  Eventually I came out of that depression but I probably should have sought some kind of help.  AS I said, i'm in AA, work the steps daily and even that wasn't enough.

Flash forward to 2015.  I'm diagnosed with neck and throat cancer.  Have surgery and chemo and radiation for 7 weeks.  I'm a tough SOB so I work 1/2 days for 6 of those weeks (except for my 1 chemo day a week).  As the 7th and final week arrives, I can't do it anymore.  I take that week off and arrange for the following week off and then I'll be ready to go back to work.  AFTER I FINISH treatments I crash.  I don't want to live anymore, just want to curl up and die.  The blackest of all black holes.  I go to a psych ward, do one month of IOP and since then have been on a antidepressant.  Twice, I've tried to come off it, twice I did not like the thoughts I was having so I have decided to stay with it. 

As part of this process it was explained to me that our "feelings" are nothing more than chemical processes in our heads.  I have come to discover that my chemicals have been "off" for my entire life.  As a youngster, I suffered from anxiety and depression but drinking and drugging helped me overcome that.  I was self medicating.  When I sobered up, I was Mr AA.  I was super involved and never gave myself a chance to really look into who I am.  It wasn't until my Dad died and that I had to re-assess my life that those old demons arose again, culminating in my complete collapse after cancer.

Once sober, I always held myself up to a higher standard.  I would pick you up and I would pick myself up by my own boot straps but that was just another way to combat the chemical imbalances in my brain.  It took a crash and burn to get the help I really needed.  Yes, I think people can be over medicated.  Yes I hate big Pharma and the agenda it pushes but underneath that are real live issues affecting real lives.  It comes down to individual choice.  I think if a person has dealt with issues and tried "help" and tried "no help" and they choose "help", they shouldn't be questioned.  Most of us don't want to be on anything but we have to in order to live some semblance of a life

It is my intent to purchase NUFC as soon as possible with the fullest extent of my personal wealth which may not be all that much right now, and may never be, but I stand by my statement nonetheless.

Offline Consortium of one

• General Member
« Reply #2172 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 04:50:35 PM »

Looks to me like you need to take a long hard look at yourself.  There's more to my story than what I posted.  If friends and family are doing themselves in...take the hint.  Hard men die hard.  It doesn't have to be that way.
It is my intent to purchase NUFC as soon as possible with the fullest extent of my personal wealth which may not be all that much right now, and may never be, but I stand by my statement nonetheless.

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #2173 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 05:21:38 PM »

I can't quite get your point with this post but I think I can...

I was a garbage can as a teenager to my 30s.  Reefer, hallucinogenics, meth, speed and booze.  When I sobered up in 1992 I was drinking a quart a vodka a day and had been smoking crack for about 3 years.  I've attended AA since 1992.  After my Dad died in 2002 as a result of Alzheimers I went into a depression for about 18 months.  Being a sober person (even though I know many people in AA on prescription drugs) I passed on "getting help".  Eventually I came out of that depression but I probably should have sought some kind of help.  AS I said, i'm in AA, work the steps daily and even that wasn't enough.

Flash forward to 2015.  I'm diagnosed with neck and throat cancer.  Have surgery and chemo and radiation for 7 weeks.  I'm a tough SOB so I work 1/2 days for 6 of those weeks (except for my 1 chemo day a week).  As the 7th and final week arrives, I can't do it anymore.  I take that week off and arrange for the following week off and then I'll be ready to go back to work.  AFTER I FINISH treatments I crash.  I don't want to live anymore, just want to curl up and die.  The blackest of all black holes.  I go to a psych ward, do one month of IOP and since then have been on a antidepressant.  Twice, I've tried to come off it, twice I did not like the thoughts I was having so I have decided to stay with it. 

As part of this process it was explained to me that our "feelings" are nothing more than chemical processes in our heads.  I have come to discover that my chemicals have been "off" for my entire life.  As a youngster, I suffered from anxiety and depression but drinking and drugging helped me overcome that.  I was self medicating.  When I sobered up, I was Mr AA.  I was super involved and never gave myself a chance to really look into who I am.  It wasn't until my Dad died and that I had to re-assess my life that those old demons arose again, culminating in my complete collapse after cancer.

Once sober, I always held myself up to a higher standard.  I would pick you up and I would pick myself up by my own boot straps but that was just another way to combat the chemical imbalances in my brain.  It took a crash and burn to get the help I really needed.  Yes, I think people can be over medicated.  Yes I hate big Pharma and the agenda it pushes but underneath that are real live issues affecting real lives.  It comes down to individual choice.  I think if a person has dealt with issues and tried "help" and tried "no help" and they choose "help", they shouldn't be questioned.  Most of us don't want to be on anything but we have to in order to live some semblance of a life

Really interesting post, thanks for sharing that.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #2174 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 05:22:31 PM »
Evening all. :)

Been a while, hope everyone is OK? I'd given up on NUFC and felt I had no choice to walk away from the forum since Bruce signed, but a recent incident has triggered actions and part of that was to reestablish communication and help lines that i'd closed off. What good is a football forum? Well, it was the beginning of me seeking help; most likely my world would have fallen completely apart had I not, so you all have that on your CV and me to thank you for.

Anyway, so after a month off work in the summer and new medication I've been doing canny. I went and did 8 weeks of group CBT, then when that ended I started a 1-2-1 ongoing sessions (I was a risk still) with the same therapist which is getting deeper, harder and subjects more difficult to talk through. I also attend a group session on weds night for people dealing with depression, so have a lot of options working for me. Still though, wasn't enough a few Friday's ago, was left alone as family were away, no one to talk to and well, shocked myself a little...It was crazy, had a tough day at work, real shitter, but plan was to pick the bairn up, spend an hour with him before dropping him off at his Aunties. I did this, but as soon as the car door shut and the silence kicked in my mood dropped off a cliff, sitting in my car and 1st thought was to just drive in a straight line and in over the edge of the fishquay. I was p*ssed at myself, so went for the easy option: Avoidance. Alcohol. From there a blur. I do remember crying, first time since 25 June, the day i went in to the docs.

Since going back to work its been a steady climb up as well, though struggle hard with random drops in mood, like the one above but usually I have someone to talk to, that weekend I didn't. Big issues such as my mam  in for an op for breast cancer last week i've had no problem dealing with, probably as i so was pre-occupied with this and her recovery. All has gone well so back to concentrate on myself, with part of that being to open up former outlets such as this thread. I've also had a sit down with my partner to let her know what happened when she was away and that i've been hiding my feelings/thoughts since then.

It was discussed in therapy what else could i have done, one of them was come on here and talk, question was why couldn't I? Well, could hardly say...well i hate Steve Bruce & Mike Ashley, so i've left the forum and don't post any more  :lol: So said i'd jump back on and say hello.  :laugh: Apart from that the other option was the Gym. I've signed up to a one closer to home. Member of work ones, but got to be there and most time i just want to get away from the building therefore new surroundings and in my own time, any time might help me better.

Well, that's me caught up, thanks for reading if you did. Again hope everyone is OK. :)