Author Topic: Experiences of depression and anxiety  (Read 133611 times)

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
Re: Experiences of depression and anxiety
« Reply #2625 on: Thursday 7 May 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
As I have posted before, I have been Bi-Polar since I was 18. I have just retired and its the strangest thing but it seems, to all intents and purposes, to have "gone away". No depressive troughs although I still have a hankering to spend money (which has got me into a lot of trouble in the past) but even that seems to be controlled. Fingers crossed. Ive had enough of that suffering for far too long.
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #2626 on: Saturday 9 May 2020, 01:21:22 PM »
Fingers crossed mate. My mum is Bipolar, and I only realized late in life how many coping mechanisms I unconsciously developed as a child. Be watchful, and good luck.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Carrick18

• General Member
  • Big Jack
« Reply #2627 on: Monday 11 May 2020, 05:20:45 AM »
I think like many people the uncertainty surrounding the future has really enhanced my anxiety. A mixture of work drying up and not knowing when I'll be able to see family back home has been weighing on my mind, and my usual release of football (be it watching or playing) is absent to boot.

That said, we got an exercise bike in the house a fortnight ago and hopping on that, even for half-an-hour has helped. It seems to clear the cobwebs a bit.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #2628 on: Monday 11 May 2020, 09:26:28 AM »
:thup: Exercise bike has saved my bacon the last couple of months, 30-45 mins on that a day to replace the hour or 2 I was walking previously appears to have kept my head straight so far. That and batch cooking so I'm eating well and trying to get a bit of variety in my week where possible.

Re football, are you going to watch the replays of Euro 96 on itv hub / itv 4? As that starts today. Also been quite a lot of retro content released in general lately.

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #2629 on: Tuesday 12 May 2020, 05:27:12 PM »
Hello darkness my old friend.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #2630 on: Tuesday 12 May 2020, 07:45:20 PM »
Hello darkness my old friend.

Yep, today's been a struggle. Not sure if the weather changing has had an effect too. Hope you're doing alright :thup:

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #2631 on: Tuesday 12 May 2020, 07:56:27 PM »
Just s*** mate. Definitely feel like I'm just along for the ride, rather than actually getting anything out of life.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #2632 on: Tuesday 12 May 2020, 08:14:30 PM »
I broke down properly yesterday, finding it tough on my own.

Worked out it’s 12 weeks since I saw someone I know well, in person. Pretty long time.

I never really get lonely or miss home either, and I never get jealous of people in relationships usually. Very strange experience.

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #2633 on: Tuesday 12 May 2020, 08:30:47 PM »
With you Ian.  :thup:

Offline Carrick18

• General Member
  • Big Jack
« Reply #2634 on: Tuesday 12 May 2020, 08:35:33 PM »
:thup: Exercise bike has saved my bacon the last couple of months, 30-45 mins on that a day to replace the hour or 2 I was walking previously appears to have kept my head straight so far. That and batch cooking so I'm eating well and trying to get a bit of variety in my week where possible.

Re football, are you going to watch the replays of Euro 96 on itv hub / itv 4? As that starts today. Also been quite a lot of retro content released in general lately.
Yeah, like a total nerd, I've got some games lined up on my computer to watch and Football Manager. I think I'm fortunate to be very aware of what is causing it and how to address that.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #2635 on: Tuesday 19 May 2020, 12:53:56 PM »
Struggling badly at the minute, very short temped at anything.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #2636 on: Tuesday 19 May 2020, 01:47:35 PM »
Hope you're alright nees :thup:

Last few weeks especially have been a real struggle for me and I think the uncertainty of everything is really now starting to take it's toll on quite a few

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #2637 on: Tuesday 19 May 2020, 02:47:29 PM »
Struggling badly at the minute, very short temped at anything.

Give me a shout if you need to talk or anything dude. I've been the same lately, had a few really low days and felt irritable but I've been involved with a group of friends that I didn't know too well before lockdown but we've really become close and sharing stuff with them has helped me massively.

Online B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Amartya Sen, motherfucker
« Reply #2638 on: Tuesday 19 May 2020, 03:59:58 PM »
I think it's sometimes helpful to see stuff like this, even though I might not characterize some things exactly the way he does:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/29186389/michael-phelps-most-overwhelmed-ever-felt

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #2639 on: Tuesday 19 May 2020, 04:29:15 PM »
Thanks @joeyt and @Jill and hope your both ok as well.

I think it's just quite a few things getting on top of me as well.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #2640 on: Tuesday 19 May 2020, 04:46:19 PM »
Very stressful time. I've recovered a bit from my low point last week, really only lasted a day or two.

Still feel everything is unfair right now, so much of how lockdown affects you depends on where you live and whether you're in a relationship etc, but I know everyone has their problems and trying not to dwell on it.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #2641 on: Tuesday 19 May 2020, 04:59:10 PM »
Feel for you guys being away from home and loved ones, hang in there people :thup:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had