Author Topic: Experiences of depression and anxiety  (Read 138130 times)

Offline Judge Holden

• General Member
Re: Experiences of depression and anxiety
« Reply #2600 on: Wednesday 25 March 2020, 04:49:17 PM »
If the weather wasnt glorious, I'd be having a meltdown.

My way of coping, is by looking forward to the things I like to do, which obviously I cant right now, so it's tough.

Just a few more weeks, we can do this.

On the contrary for me, if the weather was s*** I'd be less arsed.

To clarify, I'm still able to work and its driving around so I'm getting plenty of sunshine, plus we have a big garden.

It's the three kids and lack of options...

Aye, I'm in work still, infact I'm going to see if there's any overtime going next 3 weekends just to be out the house.

But the weather being spot-on right now is making me want to be outdoors. My back garden was due to be dug up & landscaped this month - so I don't have a back garden to sit and read a book & light a fire in on a nighttime. Would normally have a twist but seeing some of the posts on here, facebook & twitter about some of the situations some folk find themselves in because of the pandemic does put my stresses in perspective.

I went for a 30 minute run this morning & then got my 85 year-old uncles groceries in from ASDA. As Interpolic said there was a feeling of pride knowing you'd done something worthwhile, he was chuffed to bits when I dropped it off on his doorstep this morning. Simple things innit.

Offline Skeletor

• General Member
  • I joined Newcastle before they were mainstream
« Reply #2601 on: Wednesday 25 March 2020, 04:49:37 PM »
If the weather wasnt glorious, I'd be having a meltdown.

My way of coping, is by looking forward to the things I like to do, which obviously I cant right now, so it's tough.

Just a few more weeks, we can do this.

I do this too. Part of the reason I'm struggling is because I'm on annual leave at the minute. I was supposed to be on holiday. Instead I feel imprisoned in my flat. Might feel better when I start (home) working again.
'Rock over London, Rock on Chicago! Wheaties: breakfast of champions.'

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2602 on: Wednesday 25 March 2020, 05:41:14 PM »
:lol: The boredom, the loneliness. The absolute nothing of the days. I'm f***ing losing it. Wouldn't last a day in solitary.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2603 on: Friday 27 March 2020, 04:09:57 PM »
I know we've got a few people that have come back from the edge, but they gave up vices in order to do that. How do you come back if you've really got no longstanding vices? Like, I don't drink, no drugs, the irresponsibility is a new thing. How do I get better? :lol:

The meds are fantastic, they work, but they're just wallpaper, aren't they?

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #2604 on: Friday 27 March 2020, 04:12:57 PM »
I'm no psychologist, but learning self love and self care maybe? I don't really have a clue though.

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #2605 on: Friday 27 March 2020, 04:33:41 PM »
I know we've got a few people that have come back from the edge, but they gave up vices in order to do that. How do you come back if you've really got no longstanding vices? Like, I don't drink, no drugs, the irresponsibility is a new thing. How do I get better? :lol:

The meds are fantastic, they work, but they're just wallpaper, aren't they?

A basic 12 step programme can kind of work for life generally tbh. Have faith in a power greater than yourself and hand your will over to that, deal with your s*** from the past (mainly writing your resentments down and sharing them with someone you trust), identify your part in each of those and work out what your character defects are (my main ones were fear and control/pride). Work to have those defects removed by not acting on them, attempt to make up with anyone you've p*ssed off, continue to pray and meditate, help others.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2606 on: Wednesday 1 April 2020, 03:06:54 PM »
@ManDoon @Kaizero

How y'all motherfuckers doing.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2607 on: Wednesday 1 April 2020, 03:57:05 PM »
I'm okay mentally thanks man :thup: but I feel racked with flu so I'm hoping I don't have the 'Rona. How are you holding up?
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2608 on: Wednesday 1 April 2020, 04:09:25 PM »
Meds work. Sister is in a bad way and I'm like pacman catching all these ghosts on the dating apps. I still don't know if I'm even getting f***ing paid and I can't stop eating but the meds work. :lol:

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2609 on: Wednesday 1 April 2020, 04:11:41 PM »
Meds work. Sister is in a bad way and I'm like pacman catching all these ghosts on the dating apps. I still don't know if I'm even getting f***ing paid and I can't stop eating but the meds work. :lol:

I'm glad the meds are working dude that's awesome. Sorry to hear about your sis, hopefully it all works out, this s*** is scary, been paranoid my mum has got it since it hit really. And yea, I'm gonna end up about 30 stone after this quarantine is up :lol:
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Norway
« Reply #2610 on: Wednesday 1 April 2020, 06:14:11 PM »
@ManDoon @Kaizero

The thing we spoke about that would probably happen that I personally did not want to happen, happened today - I think. Now she won't tell me about what happened, which is not good for my mind either.

Been keeping busy with projects, but every second I'm not on a video/phone meeting with co-writers, producers or actors and just sitting there alone with my thoughts, man, it's not good. I need to keep busy, and this lockdown isn't f***ing helping one second.
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2611 on: Wednesday 1 April 2020, 06:17:42 PM »
@ManDoon @Kaizero

The thing we spoke about that would probably happen that I personally did not want to happen, happened today - I think. Now she won't tell me about what happened, which is not good for my mind either.

Been keeping busy with projects, but every second I'm not on a video/phone meeting with co-writers, producers or actors and just sitting there alone with my thoughts, man, it's not good. I need to keep busy, and this lockdown isn't f***ing helping one second.

:(

You're doing the only thing you can. Stay busy, look after your fam.

Stay the f*** away from it as well. You're in an impulsive headspace atm. I don't know the combination of words to see you out of it, I don't think they exist. All I can say is what you're doing right now is the right move.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Norway
« Reply #2612 on: Wednesday 1 April 2020, 08:25:04 PM »
@ManDoon @Kaizero

:(

You're doing the only thing you can. Stay busy, look after your fam.

Stay the f*** away from it as well. You're in an impulsive headspace atm. I don't know the combination of words to see you out of it, I don't think they exist. All I can say is what you're doing right now is the right move.

It's still in play. Jesus christ, not knowing either way is torture when I want it so much, f***.
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #2613 on: Monday 4 May 2020, 02:28:34 PM »
This is the best guided meditation I've used so far, most accessible too. So pleased I found this last week. Been using this video twice a day, feels so good to be building this routine again.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #2614 on: Monday 4 May 2020, 02:39:02 PM »
I need to get some meditation going I think, can't focus on work or anything at all. Guess it's lack of stimulation for the brain.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #2615 on: Monday 4 May 2020, 02:46:44 PM »
The above one is great, Ian. Sam Harris who conducts it chooses his words very carefully and has an essential understanding of what it is to meditate. Lots of people believe it is to try and achieve a thoughtless state, and actually that approach will deter you from the benefits of meditation and mindfulness. Sam Harris' version is to use those thoughts that enter your mind, the sounds in the room or sensations in the body as an entry point into awareness. When those feelings or thoughts arise, you notice them (not trying to force them away) and then you return your awareness to the breath, or to sensations in your body. Doing so repeatedly strengthens your ability to be able to select which thoughts in your daily life you discard and which you act on. That is the main benefit imo, you're no longer slave to the thinking mind. (which is not to say thoughts are bad, they're not, but lots of them are useless and cause us unnecessary anxiety and suffering)

Give it a shot - I hope it helps you :thup:

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #2616 on: Monday 4 May 2020, 02:49:59 PM »
I need to get some meditation going I think, can't focus on work or anything at all. Guess it's lack of stimulation for the brain.

I use Insight Timer, there's such a range of music, sounds and affirmations that I can keep it fresh and interesting.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #2617 on: Monday 4 May 2020, 02:58:30 PM »
Yeah thanks, I'm experienced with the idea of meditation and observing your thoughts, it's really brilliant.

I don't really have a problem with harmful or excessive thinking, I just can't seem to concentrate on work for very long right now. I'll do some of those mentioned, and I might restart the pomodoro productivity timing thing, always found that really helpful.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #2618 on: Tuesday 5 May 2020, 02:06:08 AM »
Will ask my wife which meditation program she uses because she absolutely loves it. She thinks that I’m in a naturally meditative state for most of my waking hours :lol:.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #2619 on: Tuesday 5 May 2020, 04:38:40 PM »
My wife is pregnant and she had an early scan today (private), it turns out she was pregnant with identical twins but one of them didn't make it.  The other one is fine.  Not exactly sure how I should feel about it, she had a go at me about not being emotional enough about it.   I feel sad about it but I never knew there was 2 so hard for the brain to process

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #2620 on: Tuesday 5 May 2020, 04:43:22 PM »
Wow man, that’s tough. I think I would feel the same as you... I would find it hard to feel it as if it was a death. Hard to say, guess just keep talking about it together.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #2621 on: Tuesday 5 May 2020, 07:48:15 PM »
Turns out tha sonographer may have been wrong and the 2nd baby may develop as normal as she is only 5 weeks pregnant so its possible in 9 months time I will have a son who is 10, a baby who is 16 months and 2 newborns.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Leeds Leeds Leeds
« Reply #2622 on: Wednesday 6 May 2020, 10:51:47 AM »
Man, are you expecting clarification on what exactly has and is happening any time soon?!
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #2623 on: Wednesday 6 May 2020, 01:05:33 PM »
Man, are you expecting clarification on what exactly has and is happening any time soon?!
Another scan in 2 weeks.

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #2624 on: Wednesday 6 May 2020, 01:20:30 PM »
My wife is pregnant and she had an early scan today (private), it turns out she was pregnant with identical twins but one of them didn't make it.  The other one is fine.  Not exactly sure how I should feel about it, she had a go at me about not being emotional enough about it.   I feel sad about it but I never knew there was 2 so hard for the brain to process

Exact same thing happened us last time my girl was pregnant, it’s common enough iirc, think they called it ‘vanishing twin’. The first scan we had they said the that one was developing as normal and the second was small. When we went back for the 2nd scan there was only one heartbeat and one embryo visible. We both felt bad because we were almost relieved,like that we had a toddler at home and weren’t fully ready for a newborn let alone twins.  It’s such a weird position to be in.