Author Topic: Experiences of depression and anxiety  (Read 113849 times)

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
Re: Experiences of depression and anxiety
« Reply #2175 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 05:22:55 PM »
"How can I make a thread on a topic I know f*** all about all about me?"

What? As in what you just have done.

Once again I'll clarify my point of view. I do believe pills and drugs are too readily available. I do believe people in certain states of need the help along with medication is a truly remarkable breakthrough in science and diagnostic study of the human biology makeup which is astounding and great for mankind.

The normalisation of being on meds and so easily dished out is a worry. If anyone has the balls to backup my point will know either their have battled addiction or know someone who has or to flip it been through some real s*** like losing a child, a friend, their parents and livelihood. But never took meds and faced it front on and came out stronger.

What on earth is that post?

Offline Consortium of one

• General Member
« Reply #2176 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 05:34:44 PM »
"How can I make a thread on a topic I know f*** all about all about me?"

What? As in what you just have done.

Once again I'll clarify my point of view. I do believe pills and drugs are too readily available. I do believe people in certain states of need the help along with medication is a truly remarkable breakthrough in science and diagnostic study of the human biology makeup which is astounding and great for mankind.

The normalisation of being on meds and so easily dished out is a worry. If anyone has the balls to backup my point will know either their have battled addiction or know someone who has or to flip it been through some real s*** like losing a child, a friend, their parents and livelihood. But never took meds and faced it front on and came out stronger.

What on earth is that post?

He may not realize it but he's asking for help.
It is my intent to purchase NUFC as soon as possible with the fullest extent of my personal wealth which may not be all that much right now, and may never be, but I stand by my statement nonetheless.

• General Member
« Reply #2177 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 07:03:59 PM »

Really interesting post, thanks for sharing that.

Over here in the states in AA its suggested that we share our experience, strength and hope.  My life is an open book   :snod:
It is my intent to purchase NUFC as soon as possible with the fullest extent of my personal wealth which may not be all that much right now, and may never be, but I stand by my statement nonetheless.

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • This is not a "dog chasing a balloon".
« Reply #2178 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 07:38:19 PM »
What do you folks think about anger and unresolved issues with parents as a root cause of some of these problems?

I've found addressing these past things with the parents directly and moving past that resentment had a profound effect.

Simply by recognising that their issues were rooted in their own upbringing, and the cycle goes on and on and on ... and that perspective helped break the chain and effectively move past anger and resentment towards them.

Just something worth considering.

I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #2179 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 08:15:19 PM »
What do you folks think about anger and unresolved issues with parents as a root cause of some of these problems?

I've found addressing these past things with the parents directly and moving past that resentment had a profound effect.

Simply by recognising that their issues were rooted in their own upbringing, and the cycle goes on and on and on ... and that perspective helped break the chain and effectively move past anger and resentment towards them.

It's like most things, you have to confront them, however uncomfortable or difficult it might be. It gets easier once you've begun.

I would warn people to expect a defensive response, initially, but in the long term you can come to laugh at yourselves.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2180 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 08:44:02 PM »

I think a vast majority of adult mental health issues can be traced back to childhood issues.
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #2181 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 08:53:52 PM »

Really interesting post, thanks for sharing that.

Over here in the states in AA its suggested that we share our experience, strength and hope.  My life is an open book   :snod:

Fellow AA here. I try to do the same. :)

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #2182 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 10:54:15 PM »
Such a great thread this, people I’ve mentioned it to can’t believe it’s a real thing on a football forum.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #2183 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 11:05:27 PM »
Evening all. :)

Been a while, hope everyone is OK? I'd given up on NUFC and felt I had no choice to walk away from the forum since Bruce signed, but a recent incident has triggered actions and part of that was to reestablish communication and help lines that i'd closed off. What good is a football forum? Well, it was the beginning of me seeking help; most likely my world would have fallen completely apart had I not, so you all have that on your CV and me to thank you for.

Anyway, so after a month off work in the summer and new medication I've been doing canny. I went and did 8 weeks of group CBT, then when that ended I started a 1-2-1 ongoing sessions (I was a risk still) with the same therapist which is getting deeper, harder and subjects more difficult to talk through. I also attend a group session on weds night for people dealing with depression, so have a lot of options working for me. Still though, wasn't enough a few Friday's ago, was left alone as family were away, no one to talk to and well, shocked myself a little...It was crazy, had a tough day at work, real shitter, but plan was to pick the bairn up, spend an hour with him before dropping him off at his Aunties. I did this, but as soon as the car door shut and the silence kicked in my mood dropped off a cliff, sitting in my car and 1st thought was to just drive in a straight line and in over the edge of the fishquay. I was p*ssed at myself, so went for the easy option: Avoidance. Alcohol. From there a blur. I do remember crying, first time since 25 June, the day i went in to the docs.

Since going back to work its been a steady climb up as well, though struggle hard with random drops in mood, like the one above but usually I have someone to talk to, that weekend I didn't. Big issues such as my mam  in for an op for breast cancer last week i've had no problem dealing with, probably as i so was pre-occupied with this and her recovery. All has gone well so back to concentrate on myself, with part of that being to open up former outlets such as this thread. I've also had a sit down with my partner to let her know what happened when she was away and that i've been hiding my feelings/thoughts since then.

It was discussed in therapy what else could i have done, one of them was come on here and talk, question was why couldn't I? Well, could hardly say...well i hate Steve Bruce & Mike Ashley, so i've left the forum and don't post any more  :lol: So said i'd jump back on and say hello.  :laugh: Apart from that the other option was the Gym. I've signed up to a one closer to home. Member of work ones, but got to be there and most time i just want to get away from the building therefore new surroundings and in my own time, any time might help me better.

Well, that's me caught up, thanks for reading if you did. Again hope everyone is OK. :)

Good to have you back, TT. NUFC is unbareable and we've lost loads of great posters cos folk just can't be f***ed with it all.

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • *cocaine scream*
« Reply #2184 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 12:05:46 AM »

Been a while, hope everyone is OK? I'd given up on NUFC and felt I had no choice to walk away from the forum since Bruce signed, but a recent incident has triggered actions and part of that was to reestablish communication and help lines that i'd closed off. What good is a football forum? Well, it was the beginning of me seeking help; most likely my world would have fallen completely apart had I not, so you all have that on your CV and me to thank you for.

Anyway, so after a month off work in the summer and new medication I've been doing canny. I went and did 8 weeks of group CBT, then when that ended I started a 1-2-1 ongoing sessions (I was a risk still) with the same therapist which is getting deeper, harder and subjects more difficult to talk through. I also attend a group session on weds night for people dealing with depression, so have a lot of options working for me. Still though, wasn't enough a few Friday's ago, was left alone as family were away, no one to talk to and well, shocked myself a little...It was crazy, had a tough day at work, real shitter, but plan was to pick the bairn up, spend an hour with him before dropping him off at his Aunties. I did this, but as soon as the car door shut and the silence kicked in my mood dropped off a cliff, sitting in my car and 1st thought was to just drive in a straight line and in over the edge of the fishquay. I was p*ssed at myself, so went for the easy option: Avoidance. Alcohol. From there a blur. I do remember crying, first time since 25 June, the day i went in to the docs.

Since going back to work its been a steady climb up as well, though struggle hard with random drops in mood, like the one above but usually I have someone to talk to, that weekend I didn't. Big issues such as my mam  in for an op for breast cancer last week i've had no problem dealing with, probably as i so was pre-occupied with this and her recovery. All has gone well so back to concentrate on myself, with part of that being to open up former outlets such as this thread. I've also had a sit down with my partner to let her know what happened when she was away and that i've been hiding my feelings/thoughts since then.

It was discussed in therapy what else could i have done, one of them was come on here and talk, question was why couldn't I? Well, could hardly say...well i hate Steve Bruce & Mike Ashley, so i've left the forum and don't post any more  :lol: So said i'd jump back on and say hello.  :laugh: Apart from that the other option was the Gym. I've signed up to a one closer to home. Member of work ones, but got to be there and most time i just want to get away from the building therefore new surroundings and in my own time, any time might help me better.

Well, that's me caught up, thanks for reading if you did. Again hope everyone is OK. :)

:lol: Welcome back. :smitten:

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #2185 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 05:57:30 PM »

Good to have you back, TT. NUFC is unbareable and we've lost loads of great posters cos folk just can't be f***ed with it all.

It was hard to walk away, felt like I should suffer with everyone but had to look after myself. Not saying NUFC causes my or any depression, but jesus, it doesn't help  :lol:

I also was at risk of just being a dick to be banned so it was taken out of my hands. Not fair on anyone, that. Done that before (Poot/Neesy) and felt like the dick I was after.

Not sure on a FT return to football, think i'll have a re-introduction plan, keep it 2 days a week starting in chat  :lol:

Cheers Mike - You'd have been proud of the OuterWorld session, Shame I PC most these days, could have been told to go to bed and put my eyeballs back in.  :D

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #2186 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 06:20:45 PM »
The situation at NUFC has a pretty profound effect on my mood, like. If only for the fact you miss out on those incredible highs/pick-me-ups when other things perhaps aren't so great.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #2187 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 06:27:45 PM »
Good to see you back posting Dokko :thup:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2188 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
@Dokko I know we've had our differences in the past but hope everything goes ok and well.  :thup:

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #2189 on: Thursday 5 December 2019, 09:46:19 PM »
@Dokko I know we've had our differences in the past but hope everything goes ok and well.  :thup:
Good to see you back posting Dokko :thup:

Cheers lads. :)

Offline Jill

• General Member
« Reply #2190 on: Friday 6 December 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
My sister's boyfriend's dad hung himself on Wednesday morning. A few friends/family were trying to get him help after he admitted to feeling suicidal, the crisis team never rang back and he snuck home from his friend's house early and did it.

Absolutely gutted for my sister's lad, but it's weird as none of my family know just how close I've been to taking my own life on a number of occasions.

In the process of helping them through this (they've now got the dad's dog to care for which is where I was able to be immediately useful) I f***ing forgot to take my own medication and found myself withdrawing like a crackhead last night.

Due back at work on Monday but I'll speak to the doctor today to discuss it.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #2191 on: Friday 6 December 2019, 09:55:20 AM »
Jill, that's awful to hear. Make sure you look after yourself.

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #2192 on: Friday 6 December 2019, 10:09:31 AM »
So sad. :(

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #2193 on: Friday 6 December 2019, 10:58:56 AM »
Jill, that's awful to hear. Make sure you look after yourself.

• General Member
« Reply #2194 on: Friday 6 December 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
Jill, so sorry this happened.  Help others but you have to come first.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #2195 on: Friday 6 December 2019, 05:38:07 PM »
Jill, so sorry this happened.  Help others but you have to come first.

Exactly this.

Offline Jill

• General Member
« Reply #2196 on: Saturday 7 December 2019, 12:43:48 PM »
Thanks all; I'm alright. Kicking myself for forgetting my meds after my last experience off them, but back in business now. Extended my sick note by another week so I'll only have 4 working days then Christmas off which seems achievable.

Offline Slim

• General Member
« Reply #2197 on: Friday 13 December 2019, 12:28:50 PM »
Not for me but has anyone paid for counselling privately in Newcastle?  Want to help someone out but my experience on the NHS was s*** and I have no idea who to go for.

Offline Keggy_Keagal

« Reply #2198 on: Friday 13 December 2019, 01:42:59 PM »
Not personally but I've heard good things about the The Jesmond Therapy Centre

« Reply #2199 on: Yesterday at 07:45:26 AM »
Not for me but has anyone paid for counselling privately in Newcastle?  Want to help someone out but my experience on the NHS was s*** and I have no idea who to go for.

The Northern Guild is good. You do a consultation which costs £50, then you can let them know how much money you're willing to spend and they'll find the appropriate councilor for you.

https://www.northernguild.org/