Author Topic: Experiences of depression and anxiety  (Read 105684 times)

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
Re: Experiences of depression and anxiety
« Reply #1975 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:24:07 am »
I’m a miniature painter too danny, also find it very relaxing.

It takes so much concentration you get lost in it for abit suddenly its 2 in the morning and you have to be up at 6  :frantic:

And then do the samething again the next night  :lol: :lol:

I’ve been doing it since I was a kid on and off, actually just ordered some new brushes and a palette. Miniature painting thread needed :lol:

Actually there might be a Warhammer thread somewhere on page 30.

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #1976 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 12:37:51 pm »
I used to be able to paint miniatures, Airfix kits and oil paint but not since I got medication-induced trembling and shakes. Christ you should see me eating peas; I'm lethal at close distance.
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline Pixelphish

• General Member
« Reply #1977 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:07:55 pm »
I also paint minis :)
Aye. Just felt I did it at the same time as you and you came out tops every time. Just in a bad mood now after Pixelhax.

Have to get this out now:

Pixel you're either hacking with the demo, or you're too f***ing good to constantly hammer us to the ground with it every time we play. Starts to take the p*ss a bit. I mean, I don't want you to not enjoy the game, but at the same time I'd quite like to enjoy playing it too.

Offline Pixelphish

• General Member
« Reply #1978 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:17:26 pm »
Turns out we are Warhammer virgins.
Aye. Just felt I did it at the same time as you and you came out tops every time. Just in a bad mood now after Pixelhax.

Have to get this out now:

Pixel you're either hacking with the demo, or you're too f***ing good to constantly hammer us to the ground with it every time we play. Starts to take the p*ss a bit. I mean, I don't want you to not enjoy the game, but at the same time I'd quite like to enjoy playing it too.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1979 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:43:34 pm »
Worrammah.

Offline danny

• General Member
« Reply #1980 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:57:36 pm »
I think its amazing how one line of a post can bring people together
It comming home.....

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #1981 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:40:46 pm »

This ain't what the thread is for, debating mental health issues or suggesting people ignore their doctor's advice. 

Not getting into it with you Conjo, or anyone else - just respectfully asking that we keep this thread that way so it can continue being of help.

I obviously agree with these sentiments, but I’ve not read anything posted that reads to me at least criticising or dismissing any issues people are dealing with or the wider issues themselves. I think this thread in particular is all the better for some of the debates and opinions expressed (with good will and intentions I’d like to think), even if they don’t always conform with others’ or the general consensus regarding the wider topic.

That’s just my opinion, myself, I keep out of things I’m not able to qualify with my own experience, knowledge or understanding.

I’ll leave that to others more qualified. Regardless, this is an amazing source of advice, support, inspiration, comfort and above all else a genuine care for others’ wellbeing and that I love and what makes this place special and all you lot f***ing great people 👍❤️
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #1982 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 12:46:29 am »

Offline YankeeToon

• General Member
« Reply #1983 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 02:31:37 am »
I get that working out helps people, but I go the gym every night, and I eat pretty well, made absolutely no difference to me whatsoever. But in general, evidence >>> anecdotes. So it's just my personal experience, I think a holistic (I know) approach is the best with everything.

My darkest point, when I had actually picked out a date and a method to kill myself, was also when I was in the best shape of my life, exercising daily, doing Spartan and Tough Mudder races. It wasn't out of enjoyment, though, it was just a way for me to punish my body and mind. Since I went on meds, my energy levels have dropped and it's really hard to keep a consistent exercise routine. I've just discovered I'm up to 220lbs, though, so I need to get better at forcing myself to go run.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #1984 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 12:13:46 pm »
This ain't what the thread is for, debating mental health issues or suggesting people ignore their doctor's advice. 

Not getting into it with you Conjo, or anyone else - just respectfully asking that we keep this thread that way so it can continue being of help.

I obviously agree with these sentiments, but I’ve not read anything posted that reads to me at least criticising or dismissing any issues people are dealing with or the wider issues themselves. I think this thread in particular is all the better for some of the debates and opinions expressed (with good will and intentions I’d like to think), even if they don’t always conform with others’ or the general consensus regarding the wider topic.

That’s just my opinion, myself, I keep out of things I’m not able to qualify with my own experience, knowledge or understanding.

I’ll leave that to others more qualified. Regardless, this is an amazing source of advice, support, inspiration, comfort and above all else a genuine care for others’ wellbeing and that I love and what makes this place special and all you lot f***ing great people 👍❤️

People were arguing in the thread that's here to help people get through this horrible bullshit that many of us are dealing with.  I personally try to avoid conflict these days and come in here to connect with people on a common issue and hopefully be of support to others in the same boat.

It made at least one person feel uncomfortable sharing and possibly others as well.  Certainly made me feel annoyed reading judgemental atttitudes towards meds and saying a good diet/exercise would sort out my 20+ years of mental health problems.  The advice to improve your lifestyle to help matters is sensible and accurate and fine, the insinuation you should not seek help beyond that or take your doctor's advice on meds is not.

Again create your own mental health debate thread if you want one or post in NWOAT, it's really not too difficult a request.

If you want to keep on discussing this then please post about it elsewhere, we're using this thread for a debate about having a debate now.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #1985 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 12:18:41 pm »
I get that working out helps people, but I go the gym every night, and I eat pretty well, made absolutely no difference to me whatsoever. But in general, evidence >>> anecdotes. So it's just my personal experience, I think a holistic (I know) approach is the best with everything.

My darkest point, when I had actually picked out a date and a method to kill myself, was also when I was in the best shape of my life, exercising daily, doing Spartan and Tough Mudder races. It wasn't out of enjoyment, though, it was just a way for me to punish my body and mind. Since I went on meds, my energy levels have dropped and it's really hard to keep a consistent exercise routine. I've just discovered I'm up to 220lbs, though, so I need to get better at forcing myself to go run.

:thup: This is the other thing about exercise, low mood saps your energy whether you're on meds or not.  Not always as simple as do some exercise and you'll feel better.  I do find getting out for a walk at least once a day if you're stuck in the house makes the world of difference for me though.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #1986 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 12:31:17 pm »

People were arguing in the thread that's here to help people get through this horrible bullshit that many of us are dealing with.  I personally try to avoid conflict these days and come in here to connect with people on a common issue and hopefully be of support to others in the same boat.

It made at least one person feel uncomfortable sharing and possibly others as well.  Certainly made me feel annoyed reading judgemental atttitudes towards meds and saying a good diet/exercise would sort out my 20+ years of mental health problems.  The advice to improve your lifestyle to help matters is sensible and accurate and fine, the insinuation you should not seek help beyond that or take your doctor's advice on meds is not.

Again create your own mental health debate thread if you want one or post in NWOAT, it's really not too difficult a request.

If you want to keep on discussing this then please post about it elsewhere, we're using this thread for a debate about having a debate now.

:thup:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline geordiedean

• General Member
« Reply #1987 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 01:04:21 pm »
Having a dog to go out with on walks and talk to and just in general have some company with helped me an awful lot when i was living alone and single. That dog was my constant and went everywhere with me. Upon moving to the states i brought him with me as there was no way i was going to leave him behind after what he'd done for me and helped me through

Ill be devastated when its time for him to go
and now Tudor's gone down for Newcastle

Online Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #1988 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 01:48:43 pm »
Proper wish I had a job that could accommodate having a dog. Only thing I miss about living away from home in a different city after growing up with them all my life. :lol:
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #1989 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 02:00:31 pm »
Fish are quite relaxing :lol:

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #1990 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 02:20:41 pm »

:thup: This is the other thing about exercise, low mood saps your energy whether you're on meds or not.  Not always as simple as do some exercise and you'll feel better.  I do find getting out for a walk at least once a day if you're stuck in the house makes the world of difference for me though.

:thup: thats how I feel, I literally resent going to the gym but I'm trapped in it because I get the guilt if I don't go and I'll obsess over whether I'm putting on weight. I wouldn't say I enjoy it all.
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Online Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #1991 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 02:46:20 pm »
Fish are quite relaxing :lol:

Often contemplated getting a cat for the flat even though I've hated them most my life, just miss having a pet. :lol: Wouldn't know where to begin though, feels harsh confining them to a small apartment on their lonesome most their life too.
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #1992 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 02:53:51 pm »
:thup: thats how I feel, I literally resent going to the gym but I'm trapped in it because I get the guilt if I don't go and I'll obsess over whether I'm putting on weight. I wouldn't say I enjoy it all.

Pretty much my attitude to all non-sports based exercise. Feel like s*** after doing it, feel like s*** if I don't do it :lol:

Answer: join sports league!
Problem: have to meet scary new people

Stupid society.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #1993 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 03:03:04 pm »

Pretty much my attitude to all non-sports based exercise. Feel like s*** after doing it, feel like s*** if I don't do it :lol:

Stupid society.

Literally this sentence. It's a trap basically, it's absolutely w*** going, and if you think ah yeah I won't go you feel worse. Horrendous.
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #1994 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 03:06:40 pm »

Stupid society.

:lol:

I'll recuse myself as I absolutely f***ing love going to the gym now. :undecided:

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #1995 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 03:08:25 pm »
Surprised people feel s*** after the gym, are you just working too hard? Always gives me a boost.

Finding twice a week is enough, one upper body and one lower. With football and the odd yoga session it's decent.

Food is the thing I can never get right in my head, still can't develop discipline around it. Really annoys me.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #1996 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 03:30:32 pm »
Surprised people feel s*** after the gym, are you just working too hard? Always gives me a boost.

Finding twice a week is enough, one upper body and one lower. With football and the odd yoga session it's decent.

Food is the thing I can never get right in my head, still can't develop discipline around it. Really annoys me.

:lol: I can assure you that this is not the issue.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #1997 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 03:32:19 pm »
:lol:

Online Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #1998 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 03:43:40 pm »

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #1999 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 03:56:07 pm »
Hmm, interesting. I've recently started coming home from the gym feeling a bit miserable. Football too. Used to be a guaranteed endorphin high.