Author Topic: Experiences of depression and anxiety  (Read 96246 times)

Offline Tyne81

Re: Experiences of depression and anxiety
« Reply #1825 on: Monday 13 May 2019, 10:47:11 am »
Urgh. Don't really know if this goes in here or not. My sister in law (aged 38) has been told she has weeks to live through a recurrence of bowel cancer. She has two kids aged 2 and 4. We have 5 month old. We're all so close, she's been like a sister to me. Really struggling to rationalise it. Life feels totally absurd. I'm worried we are going to be consumed by grief.

That is awful mate, really feel for your family. I'm the same age and had similar news about my wife's brother in law and it's really got to me about how fragile life is. I've two young kids and i'm often thinking of the what 'if's' about my wife and I. Totally selfish I know but can't shake it at times, life truly can be a lottery. My anxious feeling stem's from that I've been through a hell of alot in life and especially when young caned the drugs and booze. Only a year and a half ago I got back into the sniff big time for a period of 6 months but thankfully I've stopped all that. Was stupid really considering I'd pretty much packed that in bar a few stags, lad trips etc since I was 21. I still drink a bit too much at times but can go a few months without it and when I do drink it's only once or twice at the weekend but tend to consume more then I should.

Apologies if I went off on a bit of a tangent, just really struck a chord there. Wishing you all the best.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #1826 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 09:19:22 pm »
Urgh. Don't really know if this goes in here or not. My sister in law (aged 38) has been told she has weeks to live through a recurrence of bowel cancer. She has two kids aged 2 and 4. We have 5 month old. We're all so close, she's been like a sister to me. Really struggling to rationalise it. Life feels totally absurd. I'm worried we are going to be consumed by grief.

That is awful mate, really feel for your family. I'm the same age and had similar news about my wife's brother in law and it's really got to me about how fragile life is. I've two young kids and i'm often thinking of the what 'if's' about my wife and I. Totally selfish I know but can't shake it at times, life truly can be a lottery. My anxious feeling stem's from that I've been through a hell of alot in life and especially when young caned the drugs and booze. Only a year and a half ago I got back into the sniff big time for a period of 6 months but thankfully I've stopped all that. Was stupid really considering I'd pretty much packed that in bar a few stags, lad trips etc since I was 21. I still drink a bit too much at times but can go a few months without it and when I do drink it's only once or twice at the weekend but tend to consume more then I should.

Apologies if I went off on a bit of a tangent, just really struck a chord there. Wishing you all the best.

Thanks man, it's been really hard. Wife's up the hospital every day seeing her sister but it's just a matter of days really. Swinging from wishing it to end so she isn't in so much pain to thinking maybe some sort of miracle might happen. I've been thinking a lot about health recently too - life is so f***ing precious man. I had my wild days in my early 20s as well and I want to go back and tell myself to be sensible. Maybe it's just totally unlucky for my sister in law because she's been in good health, doing triathlons, marathons. The perspective it gives you though...I really really want to live a healthy, happy life now, seems stupid to have not considered that up till now, but christ, with a wee boy, family... We're gutted our wee one won't know his auntie because she's always been our biggest support, and totally loves him.

Coincidentally I was in the city up here today and so happens that the race for life people were doing their thing. Seeing thousands of people walking past with their lost loved one's names on their back I just stood there crying a bit. It was happy in the sense that all these people have managed to move on, but s**** because there are so many who have lost people. The wife is coping amazingly, but she's being strong for the rest of her family. She's trying not to be beaten by it all I guess, since her sister is so determined I think that's given her strength. Horrible to see it all happen, and so quickly too. Good luck with your family's journey mate, my only advice so far is stick together, follow her lead, and be prepared to swallow some of her anger/hurt. Oh and get rest where you can.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #1827 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 09:39:40 pm »
Grief is so strange, the whole process is just mad. I feel like it's not hit me yet with Mum. I find stuff creeps up on you, a film or a TV show will just hit you in the feels. My sister sent me some photos on Friday from when we were kids,  that love from childhood that mum gave us just came back like a weird warm feeling of knowing how much she loved us, and did everything for us (that probably sounds daft but I can't explain it better)

Whats helped me is to keep talking about her, tell and share stories. My sister told me something about mum a couple of months ago that made me me smile as I'd never noticed it till she pointed it out but it was something that we both do too.

Thinking of you all and your families.
« Last Edit: Sunday 19 May 2019, 09:54:30 pm by Si »
Bearings Straight!

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #1828 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 09:51:30 pm »
Thanks, deep down I know we will be okay and that, you know, the world will move on, time will march forward and the sun will come up in the morning. It's these kind of thoughts that help, thinking in a slightly detached, philosophical way, otherwise, you just get drawn into the pain of it all and it just becomes incredibly tiring and numbing. I mean, things thoughts like going out for a pint with mates or whatever just feels so absurd, not just now, but in the future. I guess part of it is also being a new dad as well.

That's a really nice post, and really helpful, glad you've got some lovely memories.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #1829 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 10:55:19 pm »
My wife lost her 19 year old sister very suddenly, six weeks after we got married. She was in a coma for four days before we said goodbye and it was by far the hardest time of my life, not just the grief of losing her but the thought of how it might affect my wife, that she might never recover emotionally.

Four years on and it stuns me how strong she has been in picking herself up. Everyone's different (and your situation is very different to ours as we didn't have kids at the time) but my only advice would be don't rush her. My wife was off work for nearly six months and our life was basically on hold for all that time but that was fine with me and it was what she needed to come to terms with it.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #1830 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 12:02:30 am »
Great advice and even just hearing that there are positive stories is a real help. I think she has the kind of personality that will see her through and I think maybe having a wee one will act as more of a resilience factor than an added stress if we play it right and keep being grateful. But yeah, I'll try to be sensible and go at her pace. Well done on getting past the hard bit yourselves too.