Author Topic: The homeowners' thread  (Read 142556 times)

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
Re: The homeowners' thread
« Reply #2950 on: Friday 23 August 2019, 11:13:40 AM »
do we have any mortgage advisors on here, or people qualified to give advice on such things? :)

i know @newsted is in finance but different i think
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline robm

• General Member
« Reply #2951 on: Friday 23 August 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
Recently had the side of my house re-pointed and after clearing up a load of the mess one of my outside drains is blocked. I've probably ended up shoving too much in the way of sand & cement dust & tiny stones down there so my own fault.

Anyway, is there some kind of heavy duty drain unblocker that anyone could recommend to break down that type of stuff if it exists? I haven't tried anything yet but I'm thinking I'll need some Walt & Jesse body disposal acid or some s***. :lol:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bailey-brass-jointed-blue-drain-rod-set-13pcs/79897

Offline Charlies

• General Member
« Reply #2952 on: Friday 23 August 2019, 11:57:13 AM »
How can you remove rust from bathroom light fixtures? I'm selling my house, so need to do a few things and can not get this s*** off. Tried vinegar soaked in a rag. Nowt works.

Brasso?

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Everything Louder Than Everything Else. RIP Lemmy.
« Reply #2953 on: Friday 23 August 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
do we have any mortgage advisors on here, or people qualified to give advice on such things? :)

Aye, don't do mortgages. Loads of work and hassle for very little reward. What do you need?
:) As you were.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2954 on: Friday 23 August 2019, 12:39:53 PM »

Aye, don't do mortgages. Loads of work and hassle for very little reward. What do you need?

mortgage advice :lol:

don't have one, probably want to get one at some point in the near future
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Online ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2955 on: Friday 23 August 2019, 12:45:08 PM »
How can you remove rust from bathroom light fixtures? I'm selling my house, so need to do a few things and can not get this s*** off. Tried vinegar soaked in a rag. Nowt works.

Brasso?

Aye good shout actually
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
« Reply #2956 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 01:40:48 PM »
Outside pipe from the boiler is leaking quite a lot.  Anyone got any ideas what this could indicate and if there's anything (simple) I can do or will I have to bite the bullet and call someone out?  Really not what I need at the moment.

Online TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #2957 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 06:58:56 PM »
Not sure but I'd definitely get it looked at. Don't risk pipes.

Couple months back I heard dripping in my bathroom. Eventually found it coming from the flexi pipe that connects the sink tap to the mains water supply. I stupidly left it thinking it was nothing major. A few weeks back I got up to go the toilet, I went into the living room and could hear water rushing and thought it must be absolutely pissing down outside. Looked out the window. Nope. Opened the door that leads into the kitchen and bathroom (I'm in a flat) and there was good couple inches of standing water over the entire kitchen and bathroom floors.Turns out the flexi pipe split open causing water to come out at mains pressure.

Luckily I was in when it happened and managed to stop it. If it happened when I was out the entire flat would be ruined.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #2958 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 07:35:21 PM »
Hopefully it won't happen but if you need a new boiler look at homeserve, they do a full new boiler with a 10 year parts and labour warranty that you can pay for over the 10 years works out about £23 a month, I was paying almost that for insurance alone
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
« Reply #2959 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 08:26:12 PM »
Cheers for the replies.

Aye I've had a look myself and tried a couple of things (the old man said it happens when there's too much pressure). It was massively over what it should be and I don't know why, managed to lower it so and keeping an eye on it for the next day or 2.

Could really do without forking out that kind of expense :lol:

Madness that TBG, pleased you managed to catch it (just!).  Had a few leaks into my kitchen down from the bathroom over the past 2 year, absolutely nothing worse than coming home to that s***.

Offline morla84

• General Member
« Reply #2960 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 08:37:29 PM »
Could be a number of things causing it to over pressure, most likely the filling loop is passing or the expansion vessel has gone

Offline bigfella

• General Member
« Reply #2961 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 08:44:25 PM »
Might be as simple as radiators needing bled. Happened to me a few years back, the heated towel rail in the bathroom was the culprit.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #2962 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 08:51:38 PM »
Came home from a week away to find water dripping into the bathroom and the living room ceiling, f***ing water tank in the loft overflowing. :rolleyes:
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
« Reply #2963 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 09:37:04 PM »
Might be as simple as radiators needing bled. Happened to me a few years back, the heated towel rail in the bathroom was the culprit.

Will be doing that tomorrow :thup:

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #2964 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 01:22:49 PM »
Got my house on the market and found the one I want to buy.

I hate all this s***. :lol:

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #2965 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 07:41:37 PM »

Good look with the Stamp Duty, Estate agent fees and Solicitor costs  :lol:

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #2966 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 08:11:25 PM »

Good look with the Stamp Duty, Estate agent fees and Solicitor costs  :lol:

Thankfully there's no Stamp Duty and I have a solicitor friend who will do me a good deal, estate agents are c***s mind. :lol:

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #2967 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 08:45:34 PM »
I got a shock when my final bill came in

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #2968 on: Tuesday 7 January 2020, 01:22:15 PM »
Anyone know much about buying houses in Scotland?
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #2969 on: Tuesday 7 January 2020, 01:33:57 PM »
Anyone know much about buying houses in Scotland?

Was weirdly talking about it the other day. It's a lot more formalised than England and less chance of you getting jerked around it by people pulling out or changing their mind it seemed.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #2970 on: Tuesday 7 January 2020, 02:11:45 PM »
I bought my house a year a go and have been continually doing work since then.  I've spent 70k on improvements but I've just had it valued again and it's now valued at 200k more than I paid for it.  It's been a lot of hard work, I've made a lot of mistakes but I might just do this every year and quit working.

The house was a bungalow but the previous owner put a dorma in it and spend 25K landscaping the garden as its on a hill so needed a massive retaining wall so the gardens and patios are flat.  However for some reason despite spending about 85-100k on it themselves they stopped so the house looked s*** inside.  They had also only rendered half of the outside.

It's had a new kitchen, bathrooms,  I've converted the garage into an office,  I've changed all of the flooring throughout to oak, opened up the kitchen and living room so it's open plan,  had all walls replastered (where needed upstairs was ok), built another patio repainted all of the fencing to a slate colour and painted the outside to plymouth grey.

It's now a 4 bed house with 2 living rooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 outside patios, a proper utility room I built, a large walk in cleaning cupboard/larder(used to be an office) and the garage that's been converted.

I never thought I could be a property developer and whilst this is my home and we just did it as we like the layout and garden knowing it needed work its very rewarding to know we didn't just move in to a new build and everything is of a much higher standard as well.

Online frankpingel

• General Member
« Reply #2971 on: Tuesday 7 January 2020, 02:22:32 PM »
Well done Gorilla, can i ask if this was in the NE?

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #2972 on: Tuesday 7 January 2020, 02:25:39 PM »
Well done Gorilla, can i ask if this was in the NE?
Its just outside of Brighton.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #2973 on: Tuesday 7 January 2020, 02:59:04 PM »
I bought my house a year a go and have been continually doing work since then.  I've spent 70k on improvements but I've just had it valued again and it's now valued at 200k more than I paid for it.  It's been a lot of hard work, I've made a lot of mistakes but I might just do this every year and quit working.

The house was a bungalow but the previous owner put a dorma in it and spend 25K landscaping the garden as its on a hill so needed a massive retaining wall so the gardens and patios are flat.  However for some reason despite spending about 85-100k on it themselves they stopped so the house looked s*** inside.  They had also only rendered half of the outside.

It's had a new kitchen, bathrooms,  I've converted the garage into an office,  I've changed all of the flooring throughout to oak, opened up the kitchen and living room so it's open plan,  had all walls replastered (where needed upstairs was ok), built another patio repainted all of the fencing to a slate colour and painted the outside to plymouth grey.

It's now a 4 bed house with 2 living rooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 outside patios, a proper utility room I built, a large walk in cleaning cupboard/larder(used to be an office) and the garage that's been converted.

I never thought I could be a property developer and whilst this is my home and we just did it as we like the layout and garden knowing it needed work its very rewarding to know we didn't just move in to a new build and everything is of a much higher standard as well.

Well done. Really difficult but rewarding process :thup:

Couldn't be bothered doing it for homes which weren't my own though(!)

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #2974 on: Tuesday 7 January 2020, 03:12:35 PM »
We’ve spent fortunes on our place over the years and saw it’s value increase a bit, it needs more though, unsure as to whether to go and do that or just sell it and leave it to the next person. Highly stressful but very rewarding, good on you Gorilla :thup:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had