Author Topic: The homeowners' thread  (Read 163151 times)

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
Re: The homeowners' thread
« Reply #3250 on: Wednesday 29 July 2020, 09:21:06 PM »
Cheers chap, I hoped that would be the case, but I've nothing other than gut feel to base it on.

Found out today that because my mortgage offer expires in 2 weeks, I now have to get a valuation done again as well.  Hoping it doesn't delay proceedings as there's apparently a big backlog, but if the house isn't finished yet, surely it can't delay it any further :lol:.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
  • Faster than a cannonball
« Reply #3251 on: Wednesday 7 October 2020, 01:57:18 PM »
Do we have any joiners on here? I've got a quote to do work on my garage. Seems expensive to me, but I'm clueless. I just want someone to double check the figures before taking the plunge.

Offline Facundo Ferreyra

• General Member
« Reply #3252 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 07:19:20 PM »
I should've been a homeowner a few months into the new year, we've saved and saved and finally got a 10% deposit ready for a house, and now pretty much all banks have withdrawn 90% LTV mortgages. Can't f***ing believe it. Hopefully they'll bring them back at some point or first time buyers are f***ed.

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #3253 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 07:23:14 PM »
Cheers chap, I hoped that would be the case, but I've nothing other than gut feel to base it on.

Found out today that because my mortgage offer expires in 2 weeks, I now have to get a valuation done again as well.  Hoping it doesn't delay proceedings as there's apparently a big backlog, but if the house isn't finished yet, surely it can't delay it any further :lol:.

I finally completed and moved on 5th Oct, after exchanging at 4pm on the 2nd Oct.  Offer was accepted on 31st Jan... :lol:.  Felt like it was never going to happen; literally never moving again.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #3254 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 07:25:14 PM »
Mine took 6 months and both of us were chain free and desperate to move :lol:

The legal process can be insanely slow.

Also the estate agent lied about the length of the lease so I had to get the mortgage offer redone.

I want to move before the end of the stamp duty holiday but not sure if mine will sell quickly or for what I need to get. Putting it off so I don’t get bad news on that :(

Offline ToonTastic

• Administrator
  • General Member
« Reply #3255 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 10:51:07 AM »
I should've been a homeowner a few months into the new year, we've saved and saved and finally got a 10% deposit ready for a house, and now pretty much all banks have withdrawn 90% LTV mortgages. Can't f***ing believe it. Hopefully they'll bring them back at some point or first time buyers are f***ed.

You might want to check with an independent broker as there are definitely some kicking about still. Think Barclays in fact have a 95% mortgage available.

Offline Karjala

• General Member
« Reply #3256 on: Tuesday 20 October 2020, 05:01:58 PM »
Anyone installed Hive Smart Heating in their home? And hows it been, would you recommend it?

We moved house last year, and been meaning to get a decent Thermostat, rather than just one on the wall (had a great Samsung one in our last home) and noticed Hive was down to £98 recently, so not much extra than what i was planning to spend.
Nothing will change under Fat Cashley.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #3257 on: Tuesday 20 October 2020, 05:03:15 PM »
Anyone installed Hive Smart Heating in their home? And hows it been, would you recommend it?

We moved house last year, and been meaning to get a decent Thermostat, rather than just one on the wall (had a great Samsung one in our last home) and noticed Hive was down to £98 recently, so not much extra than what i was planning to spend.

I can't help you but I think the hive has come down in price as a new one has been announced. 

Offline Karjala

• General Member
« Reply #3258 on: Tuesday 20 October 2020, 05:07:47 PM »

I can't help you but I think the hive has come down in price as a new one has been announced. 
OK, thought that could have something to do with it. The old one meets my needs, but still be interesting to see what the new one is like.

Offline ED209

• insano
  • General Member
« Reply #3259 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 07:41:22 AM »
I would love some kind of smart heating system to reduce the costs of heating. Our last house was built with upstairs and downstairs heating zones. It was cheap to heat.  Our new house is much older and has a combi boiler, the boiler is new but as far as I can work out there is no way of setting up different room zones.

For example the living room is the old bit of the house and the stat is in there. It’s quite cold bit of the house. The heating will be on in there to keep it at 19 degrees. If it’s a reasonable day the extension that has lots of glass will then be too hot at about 23 degrees. It’s a pain in the arse moving the portable thermostat all the time and can’t be an efficient way of doing things.
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

Offline Karjala

• General Member
« Reply #3260 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 09:37:21 AM »
Think to have different zones you'd need 2sets of pipes from the boiler and multi zone thermostats.

Other option is to have the heating on pretty much all day and get your TRV's spot on by walking around with a thermometer in each room and set the thermostat related to that.  We have a similar issue to you, and this was the best set-up i've been able to create, though still not perfect.

You can also get Bluetooth TRV's which are well reviewed and a fair bit cheaper than the Hive ones.

Offline Colo's Short and Curlies

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #3261 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 10:22:26 AM »

Had in my last house, it worked.

It was a Persimmon new build so a fairly simple heating system anyway - no underfloor, single zone etc. But Hive worked as it should. The remote access to switch heating on before you get in / too lazy to get your ass off the sofa was good, otherwise it was pretty much your standard thermostat. Wasn't in the house long enough with it to say if it saved money or not
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

Offline NE27

• General Member
  • I'm a pretty boy living on the Westside
« Reply #3262 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
TRV's would be best bet for zonal heating in your house.

As mentioned above you can get smart TRV's (tado?) And could simplify it again.

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #3263 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 10:51:28 AM »

We had a Hive installed when we got a new combi boiler a few months ago. Just a single one for the whole house which we keep in the lounge. It's good, had no issues with it and it's very easy to use, not sure what else to say about it really! :lol:

Offline Karjala

• General Member
« Reply #3264 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 11:09:38 AM »

Had in my last house, it worked.

It was a Persimmon new build so a fairly simple heating system anyway - no underfloor, single zone etc. But Hive worked as it should. The remote access to switch heating on before you get in / too lazy to get your ass off the sofa was good, otherwise it was pretty much your standard thermostat. Wasn't in the house long enough with it to say if it saved money or not
Cheers

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #3265 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 11:17:43 AM »
I would love some kind of smart heating system to reduce the costs of heating. Our last house was built with upstairs and downstairs heating zones. It was cheap to heat.  Our new house is much older and has a combi boiler, the boiler is new but as far as I can work out there is no way of setting up different room zones.

For example the living room is the old bit of the house and the stat is in there. It’s quite cold bit of the house. The heating will be on in there to keep it at 19 degrees. If it’s a reasonable day the extension that has lots of glass will then be too hot at about 23 degrees. It’s a pain in the arse moving the portable thermostat all the time and can’t be an efficient way of doing things.

Turn the radiator down in the hotter rooms.

Offline NE27

• General Member
  • I'm a pretty boy living on the Westside
« Reply #3266 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 01:22:40 PM »
I've got a Nest installed (I know, it's not a Hive) and tbh it does what it should.

I opted for stand mounted opposed to on the wall where original stat. was as it was in the cold corridor entering my house. Moved it into my sitting room as it is the most lived in space.

I chose nest for the design more than anything else, but they all do the same thing to varying degrees.

Offline Karjala

• General Member
« Reply #3267 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 03:49:08 PM »
Thanks for that, yeah thats a good point about the thermostat being in a cold part of the house, and part of the reason i'm wanting a wireless one.

In our last house we worked out the kitchen was the room where the thermostat kept the whole house the most optimally heated and thats where we left it, as apposed to the entrance way where the old one had been fixed to the wall.