Author Topic: The Battle for 7th  (Read 174132 times)

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
Re: The Battle for 7th
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 28 August 2011, 03:35:56 PM »
A strange thing has happened over the summer. Well, not so strange.

The Liverpools, Citehs, Man Utds' have basically trawled the ocean floors of the Premiership (which to them is 7 and below) for talent and creativity, so I'm not so surprised to see so very many teams struggling to score goals outside the top 6.

Cba to calculate how many there have been, but we're doing quite well to continue scoring. 3 in 3 isn't bad for a team outside the top 6. :thup:

Online wormy

• General Member
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 28 August 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
No team outside the top six is definitely better than us. In fact, most of them are suffering from financial difficulties or have sold important players. Even Spurs look somewhat fragile, though I think they have too much sheer qua;ity not to finish in the top six places (same for Liverpool and Arsenal, imo.) I thought Everton, West Brom, Villa, and Stoke would finish above us (in that order), but if we have a proper end to the window, everything is possible.

:thup: There's a few little divisions in the league now. Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea. Arsenal, Spurs, bindippers slightly below that. Genuinely feel that most other teams past that have a shot at making up the rest of the top half, it's that unsure.

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 28 August 2011, 03:41:54 PM »
we're so close to having a breakout season, imo. been really underwhelmed with the football ive seen from teams outside manchester so far. Everton were abysmal vs Blackburn, Villa look mediocre, Spurs haven't kicked on, fulham will drift back to lower midtable this season, Mackems are laughable.

a few more players and we'll be challenging for Europe. the full-backs are still pretty weak and harm our chances of playing possession football, we could do with a bit of actual quality from out wide (maybe Marveaux will give us that) rather than Jonas and Obertan's effort, and of course we need a striker to ensure the likes of Loven and Shola get minimal time on the pitch. 3 days, 3 transfers, let's do it.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 28 August 2011, 03:45:32 PM »
we're so close to having a breakout season, imo. a few more players and we'll be challenging for Europe. the full-backs are still pretty weak and harm our chances of playing possession football, we could do with a bit of actual quality from out wide (maybe Marveaux will give us that) rather than Jonas and Obertan's effort, and of course we need a striker to ensure the likes of Loven and Shola get minimal time on the pitch. 3 days, 3 transfers, let's do it.

I have thought and mentioned this for a while. We have the base of a very good football team. Our spine is good enough to give a good go for a top 6 place, but we just need some more depth in certain areas like the fullbacks and ST.

We'll have a few lulls here and there, but there's no reason why we can't end up in 7th because we have some real quality in the team (Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, HBA). We're still probably four players away from our best first eleven and we're still able to compete and win matches, which is a good sign for the rest of the season. I still think that HBA is the key. He's the one who changes everything; he's our Suarez, the guy who makes everything tick.

Offline GuyP

• General Member
  • Mr Mojo Risin.
« Reply #79 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 01:19:22 AM »
i like this thread alot, like the idea of it, until we lose 2 home games that we shouldnt have in a  row that is, and we get a minus 6...

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #80 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 02:24:49 AM »
:lol: let's hope that doesn't happen, then

Offline Shayno

• General Member
« Reply #81 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 02:31:13 AM »
Still think we could finish top 8 which would be a success imo

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #82 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 03:34:09 AM »
7th is the new 4th?

Offline timeEd32

• General Member
« Reply #83 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 03:50:02 AM »
i like this thread alot, like the idea of it, until we lose 2 home games that we shouldnt have in a  row that is, and we get a minus 6...

:lol:

Same  - I'll love this thread until we're staring at a negative number. Games like the next one are crucial to building a buffer so when the inevitable losses to the Manchester teams and Wigan happen we're still in good shape. 10 points after four games would be a phenomenal start.

sydneycove

« Reply #84 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 08:35:22 AM »

Same  - I'll love this thread until we're staring at a negative number. Games like the next one are crucial to building a buffer so when the inevitable losses to the Manchester teams and Wigan happen we're still in good shape. 10 points after four games would be a phenomenal start.

A win there would cement Pardew as our greatest manager of the decade :D

Roger Kint

« Reply #85 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 08:44:03 AM »

A win there would cement Pardew as our greatest manager of the decade :D

Were you born after 2 January 2011 or just oblivious to it?

sydneycove

« Reply #86 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 08:50:05 AM »
It was a joke about our poor home performances against Wigan  :facepalm:

Or did MA trade up and sell us off to Whelan who relocated our home ground to be JJB Stadium?

Roger Kint

« Reply #87 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
It was a joke about our poor home performances against Wigan  :facepalm:

Aye the use of the word 'there' made it so clear like.

Rainforest

« Reply #88 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
Think bin-dippers is definately on par if not above Tottenham this season... same can be said for arsenal perhaps, yet to see how much Nasri and Fabregas really meant to them..

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #89 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 09:56:12 AM »
Everton, Villa, Stoke...think if we finish above two of them we'll finish top 8.
?s=21

Rainforest

« Reply #90 on: Friday 2 September 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
Well, Bent will probably hammer in 20 goals for villa, thats a given. So I Guess we have to rely on someone to do the same here. Step up Demba

Offline GuyP

• General Member
  • Mr Mojo Risin.
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 10 September 2011, 01:36:21 AM »
Well, Bent will probably hammer in 20 goals for villa, thats a given. So I Guess we have to rely on someone to do the same here. Step up Demba

:pow:

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #92 on: Monday 12 September 2011, 12:42:52 PM »
Gameweek 4 results:
Stoke, West Brom (+2)
Villa (0)
Sunderland, Bolton (-1)
Everton, Fulham (-2)

with us to play. OP will be updated tomorrow.

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
« Reply #93 on: Monday 12 September 2011, 12:44:02 PM »
:lol: I admire your persistence with this project, Pip.
Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.

Offline Martin Lol

• ITK
  • General Member
« Reply #94 on: Monday 12 September 2011, 03:33:14 PM »
I find it interesting to be honest.

Offline Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • General Member
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #95 on: Monday 12 September 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
Aye :thup: OP looks even sexier with the new layout :)

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 17 September 2011, 05:17:12 PM »
battle for 4th??

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 17 September 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
CP40 knows. :smitten:

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 17 September 2011, 06:05:29 PM »
Right, after five weeks:

Gameweek 1:
Bolton (2)
Sunderland (1)
Villa, Newcastle, Stoke (0)
West Brom (-1)
Fulham (-2)

Gameweek 2:
Newcastle (2)
Villa, West Brom, Stoke (0)
Fulham, Bolton (-1)
Sunderland, Everton (-3)

Gameweek 3:
Everton, Stoke (2)
Newcastle, Sunderland, Bolton (0)
Fulham (-1)
Villa (-2)
West Brom (-3)

Gameweek 4:
Stoke, West Brom (2)
Villa, Newcastle (0)
Sunderland, Bolton (-1)
Fulham, Everton (-2)

Gameweek 5 (so far):
Newcastle, Everton (0)
West Brom (-1)
Villa (-2)
Bolton (-3)

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 17 September 2011, 06:18:59 PM »
OP updated. Even though Villa have seven points so far, they've had the second worse start :lol:

I'm not sure if there's much significance early on in the season. I don't expect the 'expected table' to settle for some time, probably until we're getting close to about halfway through the season, but it's interesting that even though Villa are undefeated and are in the top ten in the actual league table, they obviously have a lot of tough fixtures to come. And West Brom, even though they only have three points so far, haven't had the worse of starts.