Author Topic: NOFC vs Arsenal Manchester - Saturday 13th August [before Arsenal(h)]  (Read 22728 times)

Offline MW

• General Member
Re: NOFC vs Arsenal Manchester - Saturday 13th August [before Arsenal(h)]
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 14 August 2011, 11:42:11 pm »
I can barely remember the nufc match :undecided:

I always get free pints before matches, has to be done
AS9

Offline duffylad

« Reply #126 on: Sunday 14 August 2011, 11:49:41 pm »
Boys, you're making me blush.

Offline duffylad

« Reply #127 on: Monday 15 August 2011, 12:01:56 am »
Tbh, everyone played really well and had a good attitude. One thing I think is great is that we try to play football on the deck rather than just lumping it long. I thought Max in particular was very effective upfront, got a nice touch, while Slim and Stu did well in the middle, Jack wasn't bad either.

Heneage

« Reply #128 on: Monday 15 August 2011, 12:30:49 am »
I thought we passed it but we were direct. They just seemed to pass it without going anywhere.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #129 on: Monday 15 August 2011, 12:37:59 am »
Cheers duffy

by the way stu when i got to london I only had £2.14 left in my account, lucky I had some coins or I wouldn't have been able to get home! pretty expensive night out, and somewhere along the line I withdrew cash and got charged almost £2??
AS9

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #130 on: Monday 15 August 2011, 09:09:28 am »
Glad people could make it and enjoy the game, we seem to improve with every game we play. More importantly you get to meet a nice group of lads (Hughton 2009©), and also Stu.  :laugh:

Offline Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • General Member
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #131 on: Monday 15 August 2011, 10:31:33 am »
Cheers duffy

by the way stu when i got to london I only had £2.14 left in my account, lucky I had some coins or I wouldn't have been able to get home! pretty expensive night out, and somewhere along the line I withdrew cash and got charged almost £2??

Sound like you used a cashpoint inside one of the bars, maybe in Sinners? We spent half the night trying to make sure you were still upright and OK :lol: or explaining to the bar staff that you were "German" as you tried to smoke inside the bar :lol:

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #132 on: Monday 15 August 2011, 12:48:03 pm »
bloody hell sounds eventful, the lesson to learn is not to go so hard before a night out, will end in tears. that cash transaction wasn't even the last one, I withdrew £20 even after that
AS9

Offline Slim

• General Member
« Reply #133 on: Monday 15 August 2011, 07:48:40 pm »
Tbh should finshed 2-1 to us.  Also i got a threesome so i dont mind

Offline Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • General Member
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday 17 August 2011, 01:22:53 pm »
Hyperbole and adjective tastic.

NOFC opened up their third season in IFA football with a 2-2 home draw against a fairly well organised Arsenal IST. Both sides fought back from a losing position to end in a stalemate that would later be emulated in a less entertaining fashion at St James' Park.

With a host of 'regular' players from last season unavailable for this match, NOFC fielded a couple of new faces with another two or three players making only their second or third appearance for the team.

Regular goalkeeper Greg Tom-Tomlinson was still on cricketing duty, so deputy stopper Mark "Disco" Muirhead donned the gloves. A wrist injury prevented usual centreback Chris "NUT" Belllamy from the hustle and bustle of central defence, so he moved across to left back, leaving the more attacking duo of Andrew "Duffylad" Duffee and Jack "DrVenkman" Venkman (?!) to protect the goal. Rampaging full-back James Goodden returned to the side on the right of defence.

The right back had an understanding with right winger Steve Hawkes, making only his third appearance for NOFC and first 'competitive' fixture; young Dan "TBB" Youngage had license to attack down the left wing while the middle of the park was filled by Chris "Slim" Brown, Stu "Stu" Downz and Lee McFoster - the first of the NOFC debutants.

The lone striker role was filled by the lesser-spotted Max "MW" Walters - last seen scoring a brace en route to NOFC's biggest-ever win (8-1 vs Wimbledon). Starting on the bench were Manager/midfielder Kristan "Nixon" Oldage and new recruit Pete "Venkman's Mate".

Arsenal had been held up on the motorway, so when they arrived it was a quick turnaround for kick-off; despite the hurried start, Arsenal looked the more organised team as the NOFC players reacquainted themselves with each other, the ball and the pitch.

A casual turn in the middle of defence by Stu was quickly snapped up by Arsenal IST's Theo Walcott dead-ringer, who raced clear of the embarrassed midfielder only to see his weakly struck shot well saved by NOFC's South American import. At this stage, some of the NOFC players began to wonder aloud if it actually was the Arsenal number 14...

Despite conceding the early upper-hand, NOFC began to play their way into the match, finding some success moving the ball in triangles out from the full back area. Young Dan Heneage made some good runs forward, only for the final ball to be narrowly overhit, when the ball did find his feet he forced the Arsenal captain (and keeper) into a save. From the resulting corner, Duffylad was inches away from making a solid connection with a header, the ball drifting just over the bar.

From a good passage of play down the right, messers Godden and Hawe, a throw in deep inside the Arsenal half found it's way to MW on the edge of the Gooner area, his perfectly weighted lay-off was met by a thunderbolt of a half-volley by Stu in true Cheick Tiote style. Despite taking it on his weaker foot, he made solid connection and the ball flew towards the top corner of the opposition goal, leaving their keeper stranded, only to shave the wrong side of the post and leave the scores level.

Arsenal hadn't posed Disco many questions, so when they took the lead, it quite literally was a thunderbolt out of the blue. Stu missed a bouncing ball in the middle of the park, the Arsenal player took a touch before hoofing the ball high into the sky. It wasn't immediately apparent that this was an effort on goal, but as the ball dropped out of the clouds, it drifted right into the top corner of the NOFC goal. NOFC 0 - 1 Arsenal IST.

The home side didn't let their heads drop and continued to try and pass the ball around, sometimes unsuccessfully but at least the attempt to play football was evident. Nevertheless, it was a passage of more direct play that brought about the equaliser; Nut and Duffylad played the ball around at the back before a throughball by Nut found Lee McGuiness flying in on the Arsenal goal.

The debutant rounded the on-rushing keeper who took his legs out with his dive, stonewall penalty. McGuiness hauled himself back to his feet and dusted himself down to take the spot-kick himself. A scuffed effort low to the keeper's left still had enough power to beat his despairing drive. NOFC 1 - 1 Arsenal IST.

Buoyed by their equaliser, NOFC pushed on, Duffylad, James G and Nut took advantage of the covering midfielders to push forward and join the attack. By this point, McGuiness had abandoned his midfield duties in order to try and support MW. His gamble almost paid off as he nearly got onto the end of two crosses and was close to turning in an off-target drive by Stu before the half ended.

Half-time saw NOFC's first change (rolling subs), with the second first-timer Pete coming on for Steve Hawes on the right wing. Both teams were starting to feel the effects of it being the first game of the season, the midfield opened up and both teams left men up front. Despite the effort, on a glorious North East afternoon, the quality of play was sometimes lacking.

Furthermore, for the visitors, when they did manage to get their feet on the ball and look for the killer throughball, the imperious Duffylad was always there to shepherd the ball to safety, more than ably supported by Venkman. It was almost a precursor to the Colo + Taylor show later that day...

Player/Manager Nixon was now on the park and trying to influence proceedings from the midfield, one audacious backheel coming off, while a routine 5-yard pass went astray, one missed header in midfield was followed by a deft touch and 10-yard dribble.

After another Arsenal attack was extinguished by the NOFC defence, they quickly broke forward, a ball through to Dan Heneage was brilliantly controlled before he expertly lifted it over the stranded Gooner keeper from outside the area. A real touch of class to bring the second half to life. NOFC 2 - 1 Arsenal IST.

Football was now back on the agenda for both sides, Arsenal's #6 in midfield had been dominating their possession for most of the game, but he stepped it up a gear once his team went behind. The Arsenal goalscorer (with a unqiue haircut to boot) decided that the taste of rubber was worth it in order to win the ball back, so he threw himself into the next 5 or 6 tackles, making sure to take the man, if not the ball!

NOFC didn't shirk from the increased pressure, in true NUFC tradition, they decided the best form of defence was to attack - Duffy getting forward and almost scoring from a mazy dribble; Max had three shots from inside the area, drawing a save from one and going narrowly wide of the far post on the other two.

Again, it was to be another through ball that led to the next goal. This time, Arsenal sending the ball down their left wing for the striker to chase, the tiring Godden unable to keep goalside of him, as he turned in the box, the NOFC defender hauled him down but rather than blow the whistle, the referee allowed play to continue. The ball found it's way to an unmarked Arsenal player on the six yard box and he simply picked his spot and fired home. NOFC 2 - 2 Arsenal IST.

With Godden blowing out of his arse, he came off for Hawes and NOFC set about looking for a winner. Hawes and Heneage Jnr linked up well down the right, while Nut and Pete combined with Nixon on the left wing. Disappointingly, the Arsenal backline held firm and they saw out the final 10 minutes to gain a deserved two points (IFA league) against the hosts.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 17 August 2011, 06:43:14 pm by Stu »

Heneage

« Reply #135 on: Wednesday 17 August 2011, 02:55:16 pm »
Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't miss my header, and I certainly didn't dribble the ball. I remember making a few passes none of which went astray. Bloody journalists.  :angry:

Other than that, nice write up.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 17 August 2011, 06:13:02 pm by Nixon »

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday 17 August 2011, 05:49:59 pm »
Nice one Stu.