Author Topic: The Great Outdoors  (Read 115147 times)

Offline cp40

• General Member
Re: Wild Camping and The Great Outdoors
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 30 June 2011, 08:17:34 pm »
But shirley kielder forest is so massive that you could wild camp quite easily without anyone seeing you, no?

was talking to one of my customers today who says wild camp in keilder all the time. rekons try and hide, and go light cos if you do get caught, you dont get shot or owt, they just tell you to move on, hence the need to pack up sharpish. but she said they just head to another favoured spot and set up again. sounds like a bit of cat and mouse like.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 23 July 2011, 11:30:11 am »
anybody know any good walks around Alston- or recomend a good Penine Way map for that area.

Offline Colocho

• General Member
  • Le sarcasme est la forme la plus basse de l'esprit
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 23 July 2011, 11:33:39 am »
anybody know any good walks around Alston- or recomend a good Penine Way map for that area.

There's a tourist information centre in Alston, they have some good maps.

The station is well worth a look.
Sir John Hall: "I was told that the man behind the deal was Mike Ashley and I sat with his representatives over three days thrashing out a deal. I was keen to know why they wanted the club and they were quite honest. They wanted to market their sports goods in the Far East and would use the club to help do this."

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 23 July 2011, 12:07:24 pm »

There's a tourist information centre in Alston, they have some good maps.

The station is well worth a look.

yeah might go for a ride on the south tyne steam railway. just booked a cottage for 5 days end august. no internets tho- theres a cyber cafe there somewhere, and i could always put some credit on my mobile dongle- if i can find it.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 31 July 2011, 07:16:50 pm »
Tried to do high st from pooley bridge yesterday about 16 miles round trip, over a few fells on way. thought i could do it in about b5-6 hours. got to high raise in 5 hrs, 2 mile short high st. and gave up took 8 and half hours in total to get back to car - over 14miles, and numerous climbs.
 Was totally f***ed last night it was fking brutal, got knows how a ten year old felt. he said it stopped being fun and felf like torture after about 5 hrs. he did the last few miles over peat bogs in socks his feet had swollen so much he couldnt get his boots back on. His mother would stop me seeing him, if she saw the state I got him back to the car.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 31 July 2011, 07:48:26 pm »
Yeah, that's a hell of a walk for anyone, never mind a bairn.  Well done on getting so far, all the same.  Still never been in the far East of the lakes, I must give it a shot.

Still feeling it today?  And how did the ankles hold out (or am I thinking of someone else with dodgy ankles)?

yeah thats me with the ankle. really misjudged how much the ankle has taken out of me for such activities. struggled badly towards end, as did boy. we must have looked well rough coming back down like :lol: his socks were blackof the peat- even tho it was well dried out. theres some lovely walks and stunning views from that area. a good lesson learned tho. think 6-7 miles when climbing is enough nowadays.

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 13 August 2011, 01:53:49 pm »
Not wild camping but does anyone know of any decent camp sites in the north east? Looking for somewhere cheap, dog friendly, not too busy with some good walking etc.. :) Not too much to ask I know..

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 13 August 2011, 08:14:55 pm »
Not wild camping but does anyone know of any decent camp sites in the north east? Looking for somewhere cheap, dog friendly, not too busy with some good walking etc.. :) Not too much to ask I know..

wallsend burn

Toon Saint

« Reply #58 on: Saturday 13 August 2011, 10:55:07 pm »
Do a search on here.........http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ :coolsmiley:

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 16 August 2011, 12:44:04 pm »
Anyone been to Brockwell Wood?

Sounds brilliant

Brockwell Wood is conveniently situated only 7 miles out of Newcastle upon Tyne in 26.5 acres of ancient woodland, offering visitors a tranquil, yet accessible, retreat from the hurly-burly of modern life.

This campsite is suitable for those who want a back to nature experience. We are offering real back to basics, no nonsense proper camping where camp fires are allowed.

There aren't toilets but we can provide you with a spade to dig your own and there is water 10 minutes walk away at the farmhouse. This is "camping sauvage" at its best!

The nearest pub is The Black Horse at Barlow one mile to the West - you can get food, real ale and the country pub experience there.

The nearest shops are at Winlaton, one mile in the opposite direction, Newcastle City Centre is 7 miles away, the Roman Wall about 20 miles and the Cheviots 40 miles.

Booking is essential so please email or phone your requests.

Offline Colocho

• General Member
  • Le sarcasme est la forme la plus basse de l'esprit
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 16 August 2011, 03:13:58 pm »
North-West Cornwall is one of my favourite areas to go hiking/camping.
Sir John Hall: "I was told that the man behind the deal was Mike Ashley and I sat with his representatives over three days thrashing out a deal. I was keen to know why they wanted the club and they were quite honest. They wanted to market their sports goods in the Far East and would use the club to help do this."

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 17 August 2011, 05:12:12 pm »
I booked into that place for the weekend.. will throw up a review and pics when I get home on Sunday... or Friday night if I get sick :lol:

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 08:04:56 am »
f***ing awful this like, had about an hours sleep and I've just been bitten by f*** knows what and me arm has swelled and starting to rash. Apart from that it's canny.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #63 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 08:26:30 am »
 :lol:

Strangled any wild animals due to lack of wifi access yet?

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 08:48:24 am »
:lol: Nah although I was tempted last night, some bird going off it at 3am near the tent, lass reckons it was a fox like. Think I'd go insane without the 3G net access on me phone.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #65 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 08:50:19 am »
A fox pretending to be a bird? Cunning little s***s like, going to all that trouble to get a bird in trouble.

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 08:54:51 am »
She says Foxes squeak, not having it.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #67 on: Saturday 20 August 2011, 09:14:03 am »
Probably just an escaped Loon out to get him some skin off the back of some innocent campers.

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 21 August 2011, 02:07:04 pm »
Brockwell wood was decent and would recommend it for people who want a "wild" camping experience. Basically you arrive, get designated a spot if there is one and then you're given a map, shovel and saw and off you go... no facilities anywhere, well there's a tap to fill up your water if you need it but that's it :lol:

You get plenty of space like and there's ton of wood to gather for the fire, we got a great little spot with tree to sit on :snod: Dogs are allowed so it was ideal for us.. you're a stones throw away from the Metro n arl so if you get bored there's nothing stopping you from getting away for the day then coming back for the night/campfire or whatever.

First night was a nightmare as we put the tent on rough flooring covered in nuts and it was on a little bit of a tilt! :lol: Moved it for Saturday and it was miles better... anyway here's some pics of our site.

Map

Spoiler
[close]

Camp site 5A

Spoiler
[close]

Man at work :smug:

Spoiler
[close]

Woods around our tent

Spoiler
[close]

Fields behind woods

Spoiler
[close]

Dog loving it

Spoiler
[close]

Best sausages ever

Spoiler
[close]

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 21 August 2011, 02:13:27 pm »
cracking pics clay.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 21 August 2011, 02:23:07 pm »
would recommend it for people who want a "wild" camping experience.

there's a tap to fill up your water if you need it

Pffft, "wild"  :nope:

[/camping snob]

Top pictures, looks like a good place :thup:  Would you do it again, or was once enough?

snob- im off bank holiday week- bottled it tho and booked a cottage, good excuse tho, 10 week old babe.

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 21 August 2011, 02:26:00 pm »
:lol: That's why I said "wild" man.. we only used it once like, ran out of water for the Coffees and the other half is a coffee addict.

Aye, got loads more pictures but the majority turned out blurry as I ended up with rubbish shutter speeds because of the light and tbh I wasn't that bothered about taking 'proper' photos.

I would go again for a weekend as it's great sitting around a camp fire at night but I wouldn't do it too often, there's nothing to do except collecting firewood and it's not as if you can go for a massive walk or out, the woods are pretty small at 26 acres.

Not sure where to go next, any suggestions?

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 21 August 2011, 02:28:01 pm »
keilder?

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #73 on: Sunday 21 August 2011, 02:47:31 pm »
A very elaborate plan, Clay, but we all know its a lie. We saw you. With your season ticket for the Stadium of Light on Saturday. Mackem.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 11 February 2012, 08:37:45 pm »
 :yao: