Author Topic: The Great Outdoors  (Read 111214 times)

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
Re: The Great Outdoors
« Reply #1825 on: Sunday 2 June 2019, 02:20:26 am »
I've been trying to get the bairns out and about a bit more lately, we enjoy walking and they love building dens etc but they get a bit bored if we're just strolling through a generic path/woods for too long. (They're 5 & 7)

Can anyone recommend decent walks to try around Northumberland, Durham (anywhere not too far from Gateshead for a day out) to keep them entertained? Preferably with random play areas to break it up a bit.

edit: Those pics look stunning troll

Online ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #1826 on: Sunday 2 June 2019, 03:27:11 am »
Loads of baby birds in my garden at the minute, lovely to see.  :aww:

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #1827 on: Sunday 2 June 2019, 01:55:18 pm »
Walked around Kielder yesterday. Amazing day, absolutely loved it. I'm walking rather gingerly today mind.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1828 on: Sunday 2 June 2019, 06:38:15 pm »
I'm up to 79 Munros now, planning to knock off a fair few over this summer to get the campaign back on track :) just a few more and I'll be under 200 to go which is a psychological boost.

Good to see a few folk getting out :)

Offline Jill

• General Member
« Reply #1829 on: Sunday 2 June 2019, 07:08:27 pm »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1830 on: Sunday 2 June 2019, 07:10:58 pm »
Looks nice :thup: tortured by flies or are they not there yet?

Offline Jill

• General Member
« Reply #1831 on: Sunday 2 June 2019, 07:13:31 pm »
Looks nice :thup: tortured by flies or are they not there yet?

There were a few about aye. I seem to have some sort of bite on my ankle too. I'm not usually one for being plagued by insects.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1832 on: Monday 3 June 2019, 12:49:02 pm »
Looking grim for those guys on Nanda Devi in India. Group was led by Martin Moran who's a well-known figure in the part of Scotland I love the most, and who I'm nearly sure was originally of this parish; can't remember where but I'm sure he was from the North East

Offline Scoreboard82

• General Member
« Reply #1833 on: Monday 3 June 2019, 01:22:50 pm »
I've been trying to get the bairns out and about a bit more lately, we enjoy walking and they love building dens etc but they get a bit bored if we're just strolling through a generic path/woods for too long. (They're 5 & 7)

Can anyone recommend decent walks to try around Northumberland, Durham (anywhere not too far from Gateshead for a day out) to keep them entertained? Preferably with random play areas to break it up a bit.

Being local you probably know it well but bits of the Derwent walk might be ok. I'm thinking of the stretch between Thornley woodland centre and Rowlands Gill. Can park/get bus to Thornley woodland centre where there's a little cafe. From there there's a downhill walk to the Seven Arches viaduct with good views and possibility of spotting the odd red kite. Lots of wooden sculptures on way down there. Don't think it's too far from there to Rowlands Gill but it's a while since i did it so i'm unsure. Kids can splash in the river up there and i think there's a park there. Can cheat by getting the bus back which stops outside the woodland centre.

Offline snoopdawg

• General Member
« Reply #1834 on: Monday 3 June 2019, 07:06:28 pm »

Chopwell Woods would be all right for them, several trails to choose from, I think the longest distance is about 4 miles and most can be done on bikes and as a bonus its right on the doorstep

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1835 on: Tuesday 4 June 2019, 01:44:05 am »
Started hiking a couple of weeks ago because I'm ridiculously out of shape after being ill, and there are so many good spots for in it Northern California.  A few photos from Muir Woods (the redwoods are very impressive) and Skyline Wilderness Park in Napa.  Building up to hopefully visiting Yosemite in a few months.

Was really close to an eagle too, but it flew off before I could get a photo.

:thup: great pics, T. The redwoods are awe-inspiring.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #1836 on: Thursday 6 June 2019, 12:20:35 pm »
Just got back from a month of traveling in Asia, mostly touristy things with some outdoor things. In Java did a two day Trek up Mt Gede, could have done it in a day, but camping overnight to see the sunrise was worth it.

Full album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FADM1aPfsCRUpuXW6

The trail goes straight through some natural hot springs, stepping in the water wasn't fun!

Sun Venus and the moon. We could also see Jupiter above Venus, but my phone wasn't able to pick that up.

As the sun rose the clouds came pouring over the mountain, looked like something out of a BBC documentary.

There are some videos and a timelapse in the full album link, not sure how to get them to show on the forum will look in to it.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1837 on: Thursday 6 June 2019, 12:31:55 pm »

Looks spectacular :thup:  I love being above clouds that are running over a ridge like that, it's a proper otherworldly experience

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #1838 on: Thursday 6 June 2019, 12:44:04 pm »

Beamish has some lovely walks, but if you go a little further Stanhope and Blanchland have great walks along the river with loads of fish visable this time of year and good little parks for the kids.
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Runner

« Reply #1839 on: Thursday 6 June 2019, 01:17:32 pm »
Looking grim for those guys on Nanda Devi in India. Group was led by Martin Moran who's a well-known figure in the part of Scotland I love the most, and who I'm nearly sure was originally of this parish; can't remember where but I'm sure he was from the North East
He was in the year above me at school, was from Whitley I think

Online ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #1840 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 01:07:54 am »
Pair of Bullfinches in the garden yesterday, lovely birds.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1841 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 06:08:09 am »
He was in the year above me at school, was from Whitley I think

Aye, saw a piece on him a couple of days back. I ran into him around Torridon a couple of times; seemed a really good bloke and he was really the authority on winter mountaineering in Scotland so the lad knew his s***. I guess if you continue to spend protracted periods of your life on the big ranges then you're asking for trouble ultimately, though.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1842 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 06:09:10 am »
Pair of Bullfinches in the garden yesterday, lovely birds.

Was just saying to a friend of mine that I hadn't seen many this year up where I am. They are tremendous little things though, aye :)

Offline snoopdawg

• General Member
« Reply #1843 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 08:17:29 pm »
OC you weren't by any chance in the Simonside hills last Sunday about 6pm were you??, passed a family walking back down to the bottom car park, with a spaniel and only thought about it afterwards that it might be you. Keep expecting to see a black and white photograph of me on here!!

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1844 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 08:23:44 pm »
Nah, not me :) The family will not do any walks that tend to the vertical, it's only ever me and Lola (and Maisie would have been there on Simonside).  I tend to park at lordenshaw and go along the ridge rather than from the forest, I can't get excited about walking through trees (although that approach is loads better since they thinned the trees on the upper hill).

You been back to Scotland since you compleated..?

Offline snoopdawg

• General Member
« Reply #1845 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 08:54:41 pm »
Been mainly into backpacking since I compleated. Been chipping away at some of the Scottish long distance trails. Hill wise finished off the Wainwrights in 2017 and over the last winter/spring completed The Donalds which if you ever fancy a change of venue are well worth a visit particularly on a cold winter day. Don't know if I will finish the Corbetts, on about 40+ at the minute but they are so widespread and trackless it will be a monumental effort. Thinking about getting a campervan again and doing some Munro repeats. Just been up camping at Angletarn last night which was surprisingly cold for June and a quick trip over to The Nab and back home before the rain hit. 

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1846 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 09:06:04 pm »
The more I read about the Corbetts the more they sound much harder than the Munros.  Seems like some of them are even more remote than Fhidhleir/Sgarsoch (which still give me the fear; bike or tent or fifteen hour day, and multiple river crossings) and I don't suppose they have much in the way of paths on them like even the dullest of Munros do.

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
« Reply #1847 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 01:34:17 pm »

Being local you probably know it well but bits of the Derwent walk might be ok. I'm thinking of the stretch between Thornley woodland centre and Rowlands Gill. Can park/get bus to Thornley woodland centre where there's a little cafe. From there there's a downhill walk to the Seven Arches viaduct with good views and possibility of spotting the odd red kite. Lots of wooden sculptures on way down there. Don't think it's too far from there to Rowlands Gill but it's a while since i did it so i'm unsure. Kids can splash in the river up there and i think there's a park there. Can cheat by getting the bus back which stops outside the woodland centre.

Yeah mate I know it well, it is a great walk for them and exactly the type of thing I want because of the park etc at the caravan bit, but we've done it to death now :lol: If you know anything else similar I'd like to hear.  Can never get too many ideas :thup:

Beamish has some lovely walks, but if you go a little further Stanhope and Blanchland have great walks along the river with loads of fish visable this time of year and good little parks for the kids.

Never took them up that way and not familiar with it so I'll have a look cheers.  Any particular spots?

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #1848 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 02:53:54 pm »
If you park in the car park next to the Shepard and Shepardess near the entrance to Beamish museam (its free) you can either walk along through the woods which will eventually take you to the South Causey Inn and Blue Bell pubs or walk down past the Sheapard and Shepardess and it will take you into the Forges woods with the river, or park at Beamish Hall you can walk around the grounds or go out of the gates and walk along the river until you reach the pond and then there is a good park for the kids out the back of the Stables Pub round the back of the Hall.
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
« Reply #1849 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 03:32:18 pm »
If you park in the car park next to the Shepard and Shepardess near the entrance to Beamish museam (its free) you can either walk along through the woods which will eventually take you to the South Causey Inn and Blue Bell pubs or walk down past the Sheapard and Shepardess and it will take you into the Forges woods with the river, or park at Beamish Hall you can walk around the grounds or go out of the gates and walk along the river until you reach the pond and then there is a good park for the kids out the back of the Stables Pub round the back of the Hall.

Much appreciated cheers :)