Author Topic: The Great Outdoors  (Read 113530 times)

Offline Adam^

• General Member
Re: The Great Outdoors
« Reply #1800 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 02:25:07 pm »
So I'm off tomorrow and want to get up early to see the solsitice sunrise. Thinking of heading up Simonside for it, which means a lovely 2am alarm. Parking at Lordenshaws then heading up that path, question is what time does the simonside carpark actually open, or should I just stick with Lordenshaws and face the slightly longer walk?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • just cannot be doing with ceaseless misery
« Reply #1801 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 03:01:06 pm »
Simonside carpark doesn't close to the best of my knowledge, but you should go from Lordenshaw anyway because it's a nicer route :)

I was planning similar, but when I checked last week Google reckoned solstice this year is the 24th ??? I knew it wasn't invariably the 21st but that seems a long way out. Unless it was just plain wrong :lol:

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #1802 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 03:28:37 pm »
Solstice is 100% tomorrow, though Saturday is only 2 seconds less daylight so you can just pretend then too. I'll go from Lordenshaw, if I'm running late I can always just stop at the fist hill and get some photos from that instead.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1803 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 05:08:06 pm »

Aye, that's why it's a better option.  The problem with approaches through forestry is that all you see is trees :)  Best point on the hill is Dove Crag, the one midway along the ridge with the stone steps down from it.  I'd be tempted to say it's quicker to get there from Lordenshaw than it is from the forest car park.  Enjoy, anyway :)  Post pictures :)

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #1804 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 06:27:41 pm »
That was my plan anyway getting all the way to simonside would be a pretty quick walk, much easier to make it part way along. Going to test out some timelapse stuff so hopefully that works, might take my DSLR but tempted to just take my phones, will see how I feel in the morning.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #1805 on: Saturday 3 August 2019, 05:26:20 pm »
Not sure if Snoop is still reading here, but if you are (or indeed anybody else on here who's climbed Ben Cruachan), that was unexpectedly f***ing difficult :lol:  Never been so blindsided by a hill, I was expecting a bit of steepness but a pleasant saunter.  Other than the twenty minutes it takes to walk from the dam to the end of the reservoir, it was one of the most difficult ones I've ever climbed.  That first bit through the forest is a nightmare at the start of the day and absolute purgatory at the end of a hot day with chest high bracken.  Really enjoyed it (difficulties aside) but didn't find it very photogenic, unfortunately.  The only mountain picture I really liked came from the bealach at the top of the corrie before that final pull up.

Up to 81.  Just the 201 to go :lol:
« Last Edit: Saturday 3 August 2019, 07:13:13 pm by OpenC »

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Double first choice
« Reply #1806 on: Friday 16 August 2019, 03:29:57 pm »
Hoofing it through the woods with the Morricone soundtrack. I see the appeal, C.