Author Topic: The Great Outdoors  (Read 115173 times)

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
Re: The Great Outdoors
« Reply #1750 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 03:32:18 pm »
If you park in the car park next to the Shepard and Shepardess near the entrance to Beamish museam (its free) you can either walk along through the woods which will eventually take you to the South Causey Inn and Blue Bell pubs or walk down past the Sheapard and Shepardess and it will take you into the Forges woods with the river, or park at Beamish Hall you can walk around the grounds or go out of the gates and walk along the river until you reach the pond and then there is a good park for the kids out the back of the Stables Pub round the back of the Hall.

Much appreciated cheers :)

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #1751 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 02:25:07 pm »
So I'm off tomorrow and want to get up early to see the solsitice sunrise. Thinking of heading up Simonside for it, which means a lovely 2am alarm. Parking at Lordenshaws then heading up that path, question is what time does the simonside carpark actually open, or should I just stick with Lordenshaws and face the slightly longer walk?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #1752 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 03:01:06 pm »
Simonside carpark doesn't close to the best of my knowledge, but you should go from Lordenshaw anyway because it's a nicer route :)

I was planning similar, but when I checked last week Google reckoned solstice this year is the 24th ??? I knew it wasn't invariably the 21st but that seems a long way out. Unless it was just plain wrong :lol:

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #1753 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 03:28:37 pm »
Solstice is 100% tomorrow, though Saturday is only 2 seconds less daylight so you can just pretend then too. I'll go from Lordenshaw, if I'm running late I can always just stop at the fist hill and get some photos from that instead.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #1754 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 05:08:06 pm »

Aye, that's why it's a better option.  The problem with approaches through forestry is that all you see is trees :)  Best point on the hill is Dove Crag, the one midway along the ridge with the stone steps down from it.  I'd be tempted to say it's quicker to get there from Lordenshaw than it is from the forest car park.  Enjoy, anyway :)  Post pictures :)

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #1755 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 06:27:41 pm »
That was my plan anyway getting all the way to simonside would be a pretty quick walk, much easier to make it part way along. Going to test out some timelapse stuff so hopefully that works, might take my DSLR but tempted to just take my phones, will see how I feel in the morning.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #1756 on: Saturday 3 August 2019, 05:26:20 pm »
Not sure if Snoop is still reading here, but if you are (or indeed anybody else on here who's climbed Ben Cruachan), that was unexpectedly f***ing difficult :lol:  Never been so blindsided by a hill, I was expecting a bit of steepness but a pleasant saunter.  Other than the twenty minutes it takes to walk from the dam to the end of the reservoir, it was one of the most difficult ones I've ever climbed.  That first bit through the forest is a nightmare at the start of the day and absolute purgatory at the end of a hot day with chest high bracken.  Really enjoyed it (difficulties aside) but didn't find it very photogenic, unfortunately.  The only mountain picture I really liked came from the bealach at the top of the corrie before that final pull up.

Up to 81.  Just the 201 to go :lol:
« Last Edit: Saturday 3 August 2019, 07:13:13 pm by OpenC »

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #1757 on: Friday 16 August 2019, 03:29:57 pm »
Hoofing it through the woods with the Morricone soundtrack. I see the appeal, C.

Offline snoopdawg

• General Member
« Reply #1758 on: Wednesday 28 August 2019, 11:27:38 pm »
Sorry OC just seen this, it is indeed a t*** of a hill, only done it once, same way as you but I went on to do the circuit clockwise. I think the best photographs are the complete circuit and not the return by the same route. Sadly I have no photos, I did I think in 1996 and have no photos, will have to do it again. Been up to the Cairngorms for a short backpacking trip, some photos
South top area of Beinn A Bhuird

The Sneck between Beinn A Bhuird and Ben Avon

Faindouran Bothy

Loch Avon and The Shelter Stone Crag

Wild camp at Loch Etchachan

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #1759 on: Tuesday 3 September 2019, 04:38:38 pm »
Off up to Pitlochry for a mini honeymoon this weekend for 2-3 nights, are there any spectacular walks around that area of scotland? Willing to drive and willing to do a decent day of walking, although obviously we aren't mountaineers we love a good walk.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline snoopdawg

• General Member
« Reply #1760 on: Thursday 5 September 2019, 07:48:26 pm »
Hi, Ben Vrackie is almost on the doorstep. Access is gained from Moulin and the walk on the hill should take around 4 hours. You're quite well placed at Pitlochry, the munro Schiehallion isn't far away and the walk is easy, waymarked in the early stages, should take around 4 hours as well.

If you want a mountain walk and want to travel a bit further , Ben Ghlas and Ben Lawers can be accessed along the Loch Tay road towards Killin and the advantage is that car park is around 1500 ft high giving you a good head start on the day. A bit further of a drive, this time on the A9 and you could get to Aviemore where if you drive up the ski road to the top station at around 1800ft you can access paths that would take you onto Cairngorm and a personal favourite of mine the walk across the plateau to Ben Macdui and back. If you are up Aviemore way and the weather is poor stay low, there are plenty of low level forest walks.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #1761 on: Friday 6 September 2019, 05:19:26 pm »
I had identified Schiehallion as a potential for tomorrow, how are the views up there? Looks pretty impressive from down here!

Anything with the tag 'personal favourite' has to go on the list. Bit of a trek to get to aviemore but it's a place from my childhood so I could definitely be up for it. Hopefully visibility wont be too bad tomorrow, is there a good place to check things like visibility up there?
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline snoopdawg

• General Member
« Reply #1762 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 11:58:40 am »
Hi sorry been away and without internet access, for weather conditions including visibility I use the met mountain forecast and MWIS.

Offline snoopdawg

• General Member
« Reply #1763 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 07:55:25 pm »
Some shots from a 2 day trip over the Lakes weekend gone. First day Seathwaite-Great End-Scafell Pike-Scafell- Slight Side and an overnight camp in Upper Eskdale, Second Day Esk Hause-Allen Crags-Glaramara-Rosthwaite Fell-Seathwaite

DSC05195

DSC05202

DSC05223

Offline snoopdawg

• General Member
« Reply #1764 on: Friday 20 September 2019, 10:50:26 pm »
Some photos of a one day stretch around the Helvellyn area today,

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #1765 on: Friday 20 September 2019, 10:52:48 pm »
Stunning stuff.

Any of you outdoor types spend much time in the Cairngorms? What’s it like up there?

Offline snoopdawg

• General Member
« Reply #1766 on: Friday 20 September 2019, 11:18:13 pm »
Yes, up there from Monday for 10 days. Getting the train up to Blair Atholl. I'm up backpacking, camping and bothying as long as the weather holds, and initially carrying 4 days food before getting to Braemar for a resupply and then going again for a few days and then making my way up to Aviemore for the train back. Done loads of trips. Fantastic area.  What do you need to know??.   

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #1767 on: Friday 20 September 2019, 11:32:05 pm »
I’m not sure really, been looking at outdoor volunteering jobs for when my contract ends at work. Ones for RSPB in the Cairgorms. May not apply but I am tempted, been thinking about doing something like that for ages.