Author Topic: Data Recovery  (Read 549 times)

Offline Clay

• General Member
Data Recovery
« on: Sunday 8 May 2011, 12:10:38 PM »
So I thought I'd help my mam in installing Windows 7 to her laptop..

Anyway I gathered ALL of the important data that needed to be kept and stupidly cut and pasted them to a blank CD... here's the fun part.. the transfer corrupted and the CD is unreadable.. and the f***ing files are gone from the desktop.. accounts, photos.. you name it.

The CD has been burned so I'm praying that most of it is on there but it refuses to be read by two CD drives, it just freezes explorer. So is there any hope of retrieving ALL of the files or am I simply f***ed?

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Data Recovery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 8 May 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
Probs still on the hard drive, just need to recover them.

Try this: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 8 May 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
Cheers mate, I'll give it a go.. 2 hours and 33 mins remaining.

Worst day ever..

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
  • Solihull, West Midlands. GB
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 02:35:47 PM »
I accidentally overwrote (?) 40GB of files on a USB stick. From what I've been able to find, a couple of free pieces of software have found them but the free versions only allow a small amount to be recovered without having to pay for a 12 month licence. I tried Dave's suggestion but it isn't finding the files.
Does anyone know of any other options or is paying for it my only option?
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 03:02:37 PM »

Photos, or bigger files?  Recuva was always pretty good, have never needed it for years but it was decent (and free).

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 03:03:06 PM »

Epic thread resurrection btw :thup:  I thought Clay was back for a second :(

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
  • Solihull, West Midlands. GB
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 04:22:42 PM »
Epic thread resurrection btw :thup:  I thought Clay was back for a second :(
Ah sorry :( but thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
There were dozen of files (.pdf and .xls) all saved within a 'vault' of a piece of encryption software (La Cie) so i think it's effective one whole file. Not entirely sure to be honest but I know they aren't individual files that are visible or else I could have done them in stages.
I think Recuva was one of the ones I tried but they all have a limit of file recovery size you can before you have to buy a licence.
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com