Author Topic: Daft questions: Football edition  (Read 182955 times)

Online neesy111

• General Member
Re: Daft questions: Football edition
« Reply #3125 on: Sunday 28 April 2019, 04:00:21 pm »
Can 7th in the PL ever qualify for Europe? Now that FA Cup losers don't qualify for Europe, if CL teams win the cups and no English teams with the European cups, does the final spot drop down to 7th?

Edit: 7th gets preference ahead of the losing finalists. More devaluation of the FA Cup then.  :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47806720

Don't buy that. You shouldn't reward failure which it does with finalists. 

Offline morla84

• General Member
« Reply #3126 on: Sunday 28 April 2019, 04:18:30 pm »
Is finishing 7th not failure?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #3127 on: Sunday 28 April 2019, 07:24:25 pm »

A team that finishes 7th is more worthy of a european place imo considering it's over a 38 game season.  I don't know of any other country that gave the runners up of their main cup competition a place in europe if the winner was already qualified.

Offline David Edgar

• General Member
« Reply #3128 on: Sunday 28 April 2019, 07:27:01 pm »
Would probs take a hit on our coefficient if we let the FA Cup runner up into Europe.

Offline Greg

« Reply #3129 on: Sunday 28 April 2019, 07:28:28 pm »
Would probs take a hit on our coefficient if we let the FA Cup runner up into Europe.

They did get in until 2015 mind.

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #3130 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 04:54:50 am »

A team that finishes 7th is more worthy of a european place imo considering it's over a 38 game season.  I don't know of any other country that gave the runners up of their main cup competition a place in europe if the winner was already qualified.

7th is less than 2/3rds of the way up the table, it's not a massive success. I'd rather the cup finalists get it not only for merit but also because it might mean we don't just see the same teams in Europe all the time,give some lower teams a shot at it.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline morla84

• General Member
« Reply #3131 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 07:22:09 am »
Although I think the place should go to the league, I dont agree with the rewarding failure argument. In the league you can lose a third of your games and still qualify. In the cup you would only be able to lose one out of at least 6 games - the final.
I guess finishing in 7th place is like winning the second league (behind the big 6)

Online Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #3132 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 07:34:03 am »
When it was the old Cup Winner’s Cup the place went through the FA Cup even if they lost didn’t it? That’s how we played in it. I think it should revert back.
?s=21

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #3133 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 07:50:21 am »
When it was the old Cup Winner’s Cup the place went through the FA Cup even if they lost didn’t it? That’s how we played in it. I think it should revert back.

Well yes, as that is what we are discussing.

Offline Mole_Toonfan

• General Member
« Reply #3134 on: Sunday 12 May 2019, 10:05:59 pm »
When was the last time we had two players in double figures in the league? just seen that Perez and Rondon both have more than 10 league goals each.

Online triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #3135 on: Sunday 12 May 2019, 10:08:34 pm »
When was the last time we had two players in double figures in the league? just seen that Perez and Rondon both have more than 10 league goals each.
Ba and Cisse?
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Mole_Toonfan

• General Member
« Reply #3136 on: Sunday 12 May 2019, 10:11:11 pm »
Oh yeah :lol: I thought Cisse scored 9 for some reason.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #3137 on: Sunday 12 May 2019, 10:14:07 pm »

Ritchie and Gayle in the Championship.

Before that it was Ba and Cisse in 11/12 then Nolan and Carroll in 10/11.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too