Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Series Discussion  (Read 429018 times)

Offline tmonkey

• General Member
Re: Game of Thrones - Series Discussion
« Reply #12550 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 05:58:15 PM »
so we're just doing breaking bad spoilers in the got thread now huh

I was thinking of using the spoiler tag but what are the chances of someone on a N-O forum who watches GoT having not yet seen Breaking Bad?

Literally the last page:

100% need to get around to watching Breaking Bad one day

Spoilered.

Offline YankeeToon

• General Member
« Reply #12551 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 06:02:10 PM »
I do kind of feel like there's a statute of limitations on needing to mark spoilers. BB's been done for, like, 5+ years now, yeah?

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #12552 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 06:11:14 PM »
:lol:

I'd need to watch it again, but convinced some of the things you're picking at are harsh as f***. 

In saying that, I'm intrigued by 'not even close' to the best.  So what's yours?  That's not a challenge btw. :lol:

If we're talking live action series, Sopranos, Wire, GoT, iimo they're flat out better. Lost and Walking Dead were better before they went off a cliff, even then I'd struggle to say that Breaking Bad was definitively better, just more consistent (and by that I mean BB's highs were lower than those of Lost and WD). On a given day I'd argue Boardwalk Empire is on a similar level to Breaking Bad for me, and that show had a bad finale too (but better characters - Richard Harrow > Breaking Bad). If we go a little outside of genres, Mad Men too. :lol:.

Then there's a bunch of TV shows which are in different formats. X-Files, Twilight Zone, Making a Murderer, When They See Us. Hard to compare them, but I'm comparing anyway.

Also if we're going off road and comparing apples to oranges but going by the definition of a show on TV, peak Simpsons, Ricky Gervais Show, South Park, Attack on Titan, Boondocks.

I fully accept this is just opinion though. At the end of the day I personally didn't rate Breaking Bad that highly as I found it to lack depth and was pretty boring at times (was really dull when they were cooking for Gus and had a rosy setup). By default I will rate other good shows to be on the same level or higher.

Mad Men is a fair shout to be at the top table, with you on that.  I don't see it too much as comparing the illogical though, I'm seeing them as dramatic productions and on that basis it's fair to be able to have conversation about Mad Men being good and GoT also.  Agree you can't really start comparing with MaM and all that. 

Anyway, BB definitely at my top table.  I think you're nuts even if I can bond over Mad Men. O0
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #12553 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 06:33:09 PM »
I do kind of feel like there's a statute of limitations on needing to mark spoilers. BB's been done for, like, 5+ years now, yeah?

I'm not sure I agree with long episodic drama shows. Sure with movies, but sometimes it can be years before you've got the time to dedicate to 60 odd hrs of TV.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #12554 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 07:05:03 PM »
Did that lunatic just suggest that Breaking Bad isn't better than The Walking Dead?

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #12555 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 07:06:06 PM »
I'm trying my best to be nice and not say things about that post.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #12556 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 07:18:41 PM »

Maybe in the actual Breaking Bad thread, yeah. But I can stay out of there and not read spoilers about B.B. if I don’t want to.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #12557 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 07:27:32 PM »
Also, there's the fact the spoiler is about the f***ing ending of the show as well. If anyone who hadn't seen BB read that post, there wouldn't be much excitement sitting through 60 odd hours of BB.
If you're bored when you're alone, you're in bad company.

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • Here's that Portuguese wizard battle you ordered.
« Reply #12558 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 09:06:34 PM »
 :okay:

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #12559 on: Monday 17 June 2019, 09:57:15 PM »
agreed and I also never finished watching breaking bad (not sure why mind I got to the end of season 4 and was really liking it and just kinda forgot to watch the last season :dontknow: )

Offline YankeeToon

• General Member
« Reply #12560 on: Tuesday 18 June 2019, 02:14:04 AM »

Maybe in the actual Breaking Bad thread, yeah. But I can stay out of there and not read spoilers about B.B. if I don’t want to.

I just feel there’s an assumed risk that you may be spoiled at any time when it’s a show that’s been finished for over half a decade.

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
  • Vlad The Impaler (Nath)
« Reply #12561 on: Tuesday 18 June 2019, 08:13:04 AM »
Did that lunatic just suggest that Breaking Bad isn't better than The Walking Dead?

I've not seen Breaking Bad, but it must be garbage if it isn't better than The Walking Dead.  Which was good for 2-3 seasons max.  Even then, it was nowhere near the GOAT conversation.

Online Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #12562 on: Tuesday 18 June 2019, 08:49:19 AM »
I think I was saved from walking dead by my sister in law by buying series one on dvd alongside series 2 of BBC’s waking the dead.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #12563 on: Wednesday 19 June 2019, 07:12:51 AM »

I'd need to watch it again, but convinced some of the things you're picking at are harsh as f***. 

In saying that, I'm intrigued by 'not even close' to the best.  So what's yours?  That's not a challenge btw. :lol:

If we're talking live action series, Sopranos, Wire, GoT, iimo they're flat out better. Lost and Walking Dead were better before they went off a cliff, even then I'd struggle to say that Breaking Bad was definitively better, just more consistent (and by that I mean BB's highs were lower than those of Lost and WD). On a given day I'd argue Boardwalk Empire is on a similar level to Breaking Bad for me, and that show had a bad finale too (but better characters - Richard Harrow > Breaking Bad). If we go a little outside of genres, Mad Men too. :lol:.

Then there's a bunch of TV shows which are in different formats. X-Files, Twilight Zone, Making a Murderer, When They See Us. Hard to compare them, but I'm comparing anyway.

Also if we're going off road and comparing apples to oranges but going by the definition of a show on TV, peak Simpsons, Ricky Gervais Show, South Park, Attack on Titan, Boondocks.

I fully accept this is just opinion though. At the end of the day I personally didn't rate Breaking Bad that highly as I found it to lack depth and was pretty boring at times (was really dull when they were cooking for Gus and had a rosy setup). By default I will rate other good shows to be on the same level or higher.

That's not fair.  No show has ever or will ever come close.

I frequently say that Futurama was the best show on television, which is a more limited body of work than The Simpsons and therefore more comparable to most other TV series. Futurama - 7 seasons and four "movies" stands beside The Simpsons comfortably, and it also stands next to other live action series very well too.

I don't ever try to convince anyone Futurama is actually the best show on television, but I'm not going to back down saying its better than The Simpsons, which makes it better than most for starters. For mine, it's ahead of lots of other much-loved TV shows that I don't really rate, like Mad Men, Lost, Dexter. That doesn't leave many above it.
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler.

"I have heard lots of nonsense about tactics but the big thing is about showing pride and having a go." 29/09/19

Offline Nobody

• General Member
  • That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #12564 on: Wednesday 19 June 2019, 09:57:05 AM »
Disgusting lack of Arrested Development mentions in these GoaT discussions :shifty:

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #12565 on: Wednesday 19 June 2019, 10:50:04 AM »
At its best it was glorious, the last two seasons drag the overall quality down though.

Same as GOT, basically.

Offline Nobody

• General Member
  • That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #12566 on: Wednesday 19 June 2019, 11:15:35 AM »
Netflix seasons don't count :yao:

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #12567 on: Wednesday 19 June 2019, 12:11:15 PM »
*Mike AD Season 3 Klaxon*

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #12568 on: Wednesday 19 June 2019, 01:13:25 PM »
He’s no doubt forgotten every opinion he’s ever had about it by now. :lol:

Offline tmonkey

• General Member
« Reply #12569 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 12:09:19 AM »

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #12570 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 12:16:35 AM »
Got as far as the first time he said “LMAO Begone”.

Can’t listen to that guy for 15 minutes :lol:

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
  • Vlad The Impaler (Nath)
« Reply #12571 on: Saturday 22 June 2019, 01:16:04 PM »
Our friends have just started watching this in the last couple of weeks.  I'm jealous, as they keep quoting the great stuff from the early seasons.  But I'm also sad for them, thinking about when they get somewhere around 5 and 6 and start to realise the decline in quality.  That gradually leads into full on nosedive, kamikaze s****.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #12572 on: Saturday 20 July 2019, 04:14:32 AM »
Conleth Hill is such a great guy, some of his Comic-Con Panel answers:

Q: Did you regret saying what you said about hating Varys' ending?
A: Let's just say I do not regret starting that petition.

Q: Did you steal anything from the set?
A: I stole most of the scenes I was in.

If you're bored when you're alone, you're in bad company.

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • Here's that Portuguese wizard battle you ordered.
« Reply #12573 on: Friday 9 August 2019, 11:08:31 PM »
That f***ing final f***ing season. f***.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #12574 on: Friday 9 August 2019, 11:15:37 PM »
That f***ing final f***ing season. f***.

:lol: so stupid.