Author Topic: Your Football  (Read 40118 times)

Offline Ian W

• General Member
Re: Your Football
« Reply #775 on: Wednesday 6 March 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
Need to be a team player mate, it’s not all about the goal record ;)

Offline Belfast Boy

• General Member
« Reply #776 on: Saturday 23 March 2019, 01:56:31 PM »
https://www.uefa.com/womensunder17/season=2019/matches/round=2000936/match=2025759/index.html?iv=true

First time I have seen her name on an official uefa line up. France are going to muller them, probably for the best that shes only the sub keeper!

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #777 on: Thursday 5 September 2019, 11:40:26 PM »
I got a very deliberate and highly disproportionate elbow to the head at 5-a-side this evening, followed by a "fuckin prick" and a "f*** off" when challenged by a teammate. No apology from the player, including at the end of the game, and no comment from the ref. I was niggling at him a bit, like, but it was literally just a couple of nudges to try and unbalance him when he was shielding the ball. Genuinely nowt in it. This bloke is 6'4 and circa 20 stone, I'm lucky to not need stitches cos I play in my specs (Edgar Davids style) and they smashed against my eye socket. The whole thing is very casual; lads pay ~£40 a month to have a competitive kickabout.

Just wondering how much of a wetty I would be to pursue some action about this one way or another? If he apologised, I'd have let it go, regardless of the fact it was deliberate - but I got absolutely nowt and, in my current state, with a headache, a cut eyelid and a fair amount of swelling - I'm pretty keen to see the f***er made an example of. f***ing psychopath.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #778 on: Friday 6 September 2019, 12:32:21 AM »
That's mental mate, hope you're OK. Some people take amateur football way too seriously.

I'd say take whatever action you want, guy is obviously in need of a visit from the police.

Offline ElDiablo

• General Member
« Reply #779 on: Friday 6 September 2019, 12:57:15 AM »
We all know the type,  desperate to throw their weight around and can't stand being challenged. Have a word with the organiser? Or key his car.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #780 on: Friday 6 September 2019, 09:03:35 AM »
Yeah he's exactly that. No skill, just mass and toe punts. Which is absolutely fine when you're not getting totally radged and swinging your two stone elbow at people's heads with full force. I'm alright, like, couple of cuts and easily the best shiner I've ever had.

In supposed to be going on tele today though. :lol: I mean, come on.

Online Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #781 on: Friday 6 September 2019, 09:21:46 AM »
Just run it off you wimp
Toon Army Norway - www.newutd.no

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #782 on: Friday 6 September 2019, 10:11:26 AM »
:lol: I played on, like.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #783 on: Friday 6 September 2019, 10:27:19 AM »
Yorkie Butcher.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #784 on: Friday 6 September 2019, 10:29:46 AM »
That’s why I don’t play leagues, too many players out to just smash someone and I’m the type who will end up chinning someone or more likely get myself chinned :lol: I can be rough, but not intentionally or with malice, just a desire to get the ball and compete. Just take it on the chin Yorkie I guess.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Doctor Zaius

• General Member
« Reply #785 on: Tuesday 15 October 2019, 10:26:36 AM »
Anyone ever came back from a pretty serious injury?

I did my MCL back in February. Stupidly didnt bother doing physio, just worked on it myself, a bit of running and swimming. It still wasnt right, still 'jars' and is generally unstable. Anyway, 10 months on and im desperate to get out and play again, for a new team. Played yesterday and it goes again and I have to limp off, albeit not as bad as the first time but i was in agony again. Just unable to put any sort of pressure on it without it exploding. Thought it might have healed after 10 months out but alas, no its still f***ed.

Going to go to a physio and get a proper diagnosis, absolutely gutted though that it might be f***ed for good. I cant really see a way back after it didnt sort itself out after 10 months. 27 year old and not being able to play at a half decent standard again is absolutely gutting. Especially as I live abroad and playing football is a good way to meet people. Depressed about it tbh, playing football is about the only thing I've ever been all that interested in doing as an activity.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #786 on: Tuesday 15 October 2019, 10:43:57 AM »
I don't think these things heal back to normal without physio and rehab exercises. They more 'heal' in whatever easy way the body decides is best, often to a limited range of movement and pain elsewhere.

I've sprained my ankle pretty seriously 3 times now, the last being the worst. It took nearly a year to come back, but mainly because I put off seeing the physio for so long. I can play fine now, but I think I'll always have to do the exercises to keep it moving properly.

Your injury might be more serious, but I wouldn't get too down until you see the physio, they can do amazing things. For me, the first 8 months without physio were nothing compared to the 3 or 4 months after.

Offline Doctor Zaius

• General Member
« Reply #787 on: Thursday 17 October 2019, 04:15:21 AM »
:thup :thup: Going to do it properly this time. If it folds again, it might be time to invest in some golf lessons/clubs.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #788 on: Friday 18 October 2019, 03:24:49 AM »
Pretty much told I’ll never be able to play any contact sports again which is a bit of a pisser. Genuinely looking into the prospect of Walking Football once I’ve healed from the latest operation.
?s=21

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• General Member
  • Absolute C***
« Reply #789 on: Friday 18 October 2019, 05:42:10 AM »
Cricket!

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #790 on: Friday 18 October 2019, 09:14:45 AM »
Would that be suitable for a weak hip facing 60-70mph balls bouncing and smacking against it? :lol:
?s=21

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #791 on: Saturday 19 October 2019, 08:19:40 PM »

I did my MCL back in February. Stupidly didnt bother doing physio, just worked on it myself, a bit of running and swimming. It still wasnt right, still 'jars' and is generally unstable. Anyway, 10 months on and im desperate to get out and play again, for a new team. Played yesterday and it goes again and I have to limp off, albeit not as bad as the first time but i was in agony again. Just unable to put any sort of pressure on it without it exploding. Thought it might have healed after 10 months out but alas, no its still f***ed.

Going to go to a physio and get a proper diagnosis, absolutely gutted though that it might be f***ed for good. I cant really see a way back after it didnt sort itself out after 10 months. 27 year old and not being able to play at a half decent standard again is absolutely gutting. Especially as I live abroad and playing football is a good way to meet people. Depressed about it tbh, playing football is about the only thing I've ever been all that interested in doing as an activity.

Sorry to hear that. I did my ACL back in Jan 2017 during a cup quarter final, had scored 2 penalties in the first half hour, was running around like a mad and it went, heard it snap, agony.

I was determined to get back and pretty immediately got a personal trainer, I figured if I can't play football for a year I might as well sort everything else out, as I only ever really played football and never went to the gym before the injury. Luckily I had health insurance through work and could do physio properly in addition to the PT.

Pleased to say now I feel at about 100% and am in the best shape I've been ever been in, I think for knee ligament injuries the physio is absolutely essential if you can afford it. Very important to strengthen your quads, hamstring and general core to prevent it happening again. At the least i'd go for a few sessions so you can learn what exercises and strengthening you can do.

We've lost 3 from 4 league games this season which is poor, but we've played teams we expect to be up there at the end of the season and we deserved something today. I got a hat-trick last weak in a cup game against lower league opposition so my 4 in 5 goals this season sounds better than it is in reality, need to be scoring more in the tougher league games, but my overall performances have been pretty good and after the ACL injury I can't complain.
AS9

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #792 on: Saturday 19 October 2019, 08:21:42 PM »

Sorry to hear that. I did my ACL back in Jan 2017 during a cup quarter final, had scored 2 penalties in the first half hour, was running around like a mad and it went, heard it snap, agony.

I was determined to get back and pretty immediately got a personal trainer, I figured if I can't play football for a year I might as well sort everything else out, as I only ever really played football and never went to the gym before the injury. Luckily I had health insurance through work and could do physio properly in addition to the PT.

Pleased to say now I feel at about 100% and am in the best shape I've been ever been in, I think for knee ligament injuries the physio is absolutely essential if you can afford it. Very important to strengthen your quads, hamstring and general core to prevent it happening again. At the least i'd go for a few sessions so you can learn what exercises and strengthening you can do.

We've lost 3 from 4 league games this season which is poor, but we've played teams we expect to be up there at the end of the season and we deserved something today. I got a hat-trick last weak in a cup game against lower league opposition so my 4 in 5 goals this season sounds better than it is in reality, need to be scoring more in the tougher league games, but my overall performances have been pretty good and after the ACL injury I can't complain.

Just to add, at 27 you've got plenty of time, i did it when I was 26, however you need to be disciplined and put the hours in as it won't fix itself, it's worth it.
AS9

Offline Rebellious

• General Member
« Reply #793 on: Monday 18 November 2019, 07:02:30 AM »
Can I get some opinions or advice from anyone that coaches, manages or plays at grassroots level on here.

7-8 months ago I was approached by a big local club, by big I mean it has teams at every grassroots level and the non league stuff, has players going off to to Arsenal, Crystal Palace, England trials etc. They won the FA Grassroots Club of the year this year. They asked me to set up an U7 and U8 girls team because it was the only 2 teams they didn`t have yet and because my daughter was playing for a rival team at that age level and they want her.

The problem I have is time slots left on the winter training 3G pitch. All they can offer at the moment is fortnightly on a Monday at 6-7.  I can use the grass pitch anytime I want on a Saturday. The problem with Saturdays is I am recruiting the girls from an already successful wildcats session that runs 9.30-10.30 on Saturdays and my assistant coach works Saturdays 9-12.  Has anyone ever trained or coached on a Saturday after 12 here ? In my mind I think it would go against recruitment.           

Offline Bimpy474

• General Member
« Reply #794 on: Monday 18 November 2019, 07:46:33 AM »
I've done all ages over the years and if you run a two hour+ session at 12pm the parents will love it.

A couple of hours to themselves on a Saturday afternoon, you'll be the most popular babysitter ever  :lol:

The kids won't care and if the team play Sundays, kids never care a jot as they're mad and love to play.

My eldest boys team ran training 11am to 1pm Saturday, they've only changed now as some of boys also play mens Saturday's footy.

It shouldn't go against recruitment at a young age,  two of my players back then were in Southend Utd's academy, never encountered any problems back then.

Only with kids going to watch pro football away games were missing now again.

Offline Rebellious

• General Member
« Reply #795 on: Monday 18 November 2019, 03:19:45 PM »
I've done all ages over the years and if you run a two hour+ session at 12pm the parents will love it.

A couple of hours to themselves on a Saturday afternoon, you'll be the most popular babysitter ever  :lol:

The kids won't care and if the team play Sundays, kids never care a jot as they're mad and love to play.

My eldest boys team ran training 11am to 1pm Saturday, they've only changed now as some of boys also play mens Saturday's footy.

It shouldn't go against recruitment at a young age,  two of my players back then were in Southend Utd's academy, never encountered any problems back then.

Only with kids going to watch pro football away games were missing now again.

Thanks, so I think i`m going with winter training 3G Monday 6-7 one week, Field 10.30-12.00 on Sundays even though on home days the league will be on its big enough for me to have part of the grounds.  Then if parents don`t like the Mondays or Sundays i`m going 7-8 on Fridays in the summer when I don`t need floodlights or worrying about water logged pitches. Decided against Saturdays because the mini tournaments for that age group are once a month on Saturdays 10-12.     

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
« Reply #796 on: Thursday 21 November 2019, 04:35:05 PM »
How good are you on your weaker foot? Was it natural or did you train to improve it? Tore some muscle in my right leg and I’m incredibly dismayed right now. Apparently Morton Gamst Pederson was naturally right footed and his dad told him to train left footed and he made a career of it which blows my mind. Doing the training I’ve seen in the video below. It’s really boring but steady improvements are being made.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #797 on: Thursday 21 November 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
Terrible, and no idea how to improve.

I can short pass off the left OK, but shooting is completely random.

Weirdly I find dribbling past people to the left easier, I guess because I move the ball left with the right foot and then just push it forward with the left.

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
« Reply #798 on: Thursday 21 November 2019, 07:24:59 PM »
It’s tough. You really gotta love the game because you feel five years old trying to kick the ball with your left foot.

Just played a five a side against some kids and was left footed 50% of it. Caused them havoc which was really surprising. There were moments where channels just opened up for me out of absolutely nowhere. So it is really beneficial. Gonna rest up and and play again real soon.

Other day did 50 kick ups with a tennis ball alternating feet. My touch is really nice right now. Feeling like Berbatov.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #799 on: Thursday 21 November 2019, 07:31:45 PM »
How good are you on your weaker foot? Was it natural or did you train to improve it? Tore some muscle in my right leg and I’m incredibly dismayed right now. Apparently Morton Gamst Pederson was naturally right footed and his dad told him to train left footed and he made a career of it which blows my mind. Doing the training I’ve seen in the video below. It’s really boring but steady improvements are being made.

I’m better on my left than I am on my right, my natural foot. Practiced for hours every evening against a wall, just me and a ball, later learned Super Mac did the same, best way to develop your weaker foot and aid technique, shooting accuracy, and general touch and feel for being comfortable IMO. It’s all about training your foot, building up its strength and getting your nerve ends or whatever connected to your foot to engage with the ones in your brain to control your reflexes, muscles, intuition. My 5 year old seems quite natural, I’ve only recently asked him to try using his left instead of his right and to practice more but he seems naturally two footed. He still prefers using his right, but when the occasion instinctively demands using his left, he does so and with aplomb. Starting at a young age is a must, I started at 11 or so. Now, without bragging, I’m a top notch finisher on either foot, whatever technique, whatever range. Shame about my passing though (either foot) :lol:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had