Author Topic: The Metro - Upgrades, issues, hundreds of billions  (Read 60907 times)

Offline godzilla

• General Member
Re: The Metro - Upgrades, issues, hundreds of billions
« Reply #1050 on: Tuesday 30 April 2019, 12:02:51 AM »
:lol: Some lad was saying that they spent all weekend putting up new cables which immediately fell down when used. Plausible, at least. I think they're going to rebuild that bridge between Longbenton and South Gosforth in the summer too, so that'll be extra fun. FFS. Be quicker to walk.

Be gobsmacked by that tbh. I presume you mean overhead line wire, this is replaced either due to maintenance or a fault. In over 30 year I’ve never known one occasion when this has occurred within that short period of time after being‘put up. Can’t swear to it as I don’t work there anymore, but as I said it’s never happened in this way in all my years of experience.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #1051 on: Tuesday 30 April 2019, 06:54:36 AM »
:lol: Some lad was saying that they spent all weekend putting up new cables which immediately fell down when used. Plausible, at least. I think they're going to rebuild that bridge between Longbenton and South Gosforth in the summer too, so that'll be extra fun. FFS. Be quicker to walk.

Be gobsmacked by that tbh. I presume you mean overhead line wire, this is replaced either due to maintenance or a fault. In over 30 year I’ve never known one occasion when this has occurred within that short period of time after being‘put up. Can’t swear to it as I don’t work there anymore, but as I said it’s never happened in this way in all my years of experience.

aye but some lad said it tho...so there's that
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #1052 on: Tuesday 30 April 2019, 07:30:23 AM »
They replaced that bridge just a year or two ago?

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #1053 on: Tuesday 30 April 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
Still knackered today.

Offline godzilla

• General Member
« Reply #1054 on: Tuesday 30 April 2019, 09:05:00 AM »
They replaced that bridge just a year or two ago?

Yeah they did

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #1055 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 10:39:01 AM »
Just been kicked off one metro for an electrical fault at South Gosforth, told there's one 5 minutes behind. Wait it for it, all got on that one, sat there for another 5 minutes, told there's a fault with the windshield on this one and we all have to get off again.

Offline godzilla

• General Member
« Reply #1056 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
Just been kicked off one metro for an electrical fault at South Gosforth, told there's one 5 minutes behind. Wait it for it, all got on that one, sat there for another 5 minutes, told there's a fault with the windshield on this one and we all have to get off again.

The fleet is on it's last legs that's for sure, should have been replaced 10 year ago. It will continue to get worse until the new fleet is introduced.

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• General Member
  • Absolute C***
« Reply #1057 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 12:44:01 PM »
It's depressing, given how so many of us rely on it day in day out.

Just found this as well - https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2019-03-21a.1214.3. £650 odd million being invested in the system and the new fleet.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #1058 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 01:05:34 PM »
When the council introduce the £12.50 a day vehicle congestion charge for Newcastle the amount of people wanting to use the Metro will go through the roof. The trains are already standing room only (if you can get on at all) during the busy times. That's without taking their reliability or frequency into account.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #1059 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:50:48 PM »

My train back from work has been withdrawn as well, that's three in the space of two journeys.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #1060 on: Monday 13 May 2019, 03:32:15 PM »
And again :rolleyes:

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #1061 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 12:05:15 PM »
 :lol:

There were delays yesterday so I decided to go the long way round back to the coast via Wallsend and shields.  It was nice evening so it was a pleasant journey home.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #1062 on: Tuesday 28 May 2019, 02:34:03 AM »
Likely to be f***ed between Tynemouth and Benton tomorrow morning

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #1063 on: Tuesday 28 May 2019, 10:31:02 AM »
I got in no problem from Monkseaton this morning, an empty train waiting.  :smug:

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Everything Louder Than Everything Else. RIP Lemmy.
« Reply #1064 on: Wednesday 6 November 2019, 11:22:30 PM »
Anyway, this morning, complete electrical failure in carriage 2, no doors working, emergency door protocol, pull the lever and shove the RIGHT door like billio, everyone clamber through that, try to cram on the next packed train, late for work, super.

This evening, light drizzle, low rail adhesion, train late, then later and later, then, and someone will have to explain this to me, so late that it was withdrawn from service so everyone off and try to pack on the next already-packed, even later train. How does that work?

10 minutes at Haymarket because people wouldn't stand back when they couldn't cram on so they had to send a guy to get a flag so he could signal the driver when the doors were clear :lol: It's like too Victorian even for me. f***ing people :lol:
:) As you were.

Offline ToonTastic

• Administrator
  • General Member
« Reply #1065 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 12:37:18 PM »
Im guessing withdrawing the train is to help fake the stats. If it's already crazy late it'll show as late for every station. If they withdraw it, it probably then doesn't count as being late at the next stations as it's withdrawn and the next train they'll hope will be on time.

Offline godzilla

• General Member
« Reply #1066 on: Thursday 7 November 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
Im guessing withdrawing the train is to help fake the stats. If it's already crazy late it'll show as late for every station. If they withdraw it, it probably then doesn't count as being late at the next stations as it's withdrawn and the next train they'll hope will be on time.

:lol: Nope every train cancelled and every train delayed is counted in the stats as it's all done via signals sent from track circuits located across the system - no stats are faked. This information is then calculated against the scheduled timetable and anything operating over 3 minutes is included. The only reason the train was taken out of service would have been to get everything back to timetable. As one train being delayed can have a knock on effect to other trains (especially in the central corridor - South Gosforth through to Pelaw).

Everyone laughs about low rail adhesion (commonly known as wheelslip) but it does have a big impact. Special trains are operated to jet spray the rail and to apply a 'railway industry used' gel to assist with this. Even with these applied there are still problems.
« Last Edit: Thursday 7 November 2019, 01:24:24 PM by godzilla »

Offline Doctor Zaius

• General Member
« Reply #1067 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 02:57:56 AM »
Do other metro systems have as many problems with low rail adhesion? I mean, just a google of 'low rail adhesion' and couple of the first results are to do with the T&W metro...

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #1068 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 05:08:39 AM »
Do other metro systems have as many problems with low rail adhesion? I mean, just a google of 'low rail adhesion' and couple of the first results are to do with the T&W metro...

Searching Twitter, Tyne & Wear Metro and Iarnród Éireann are the only two companies to say this over the last two days.
?s=21

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #1069 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 08:38:23 AM »

It's just a twattish way of saying leaves on the line.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #1070 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 08:51:24 AM »
Tbf i've felt the metro wheel spin from time to time.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #1071 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
It is only a problem with the leaves of some trees, most of which are native to Northern Europe and the UK.
North Tyneside council once asked the Metro to cut down one of the trees that was on their land and caused the problem for an unrelated matter. Nexus who own and manage the Metro refused. A few years later Nexus asked residents who had similar trees in their garden and near Metro lines to cut down their trees. Those residents refused and I think Nexus kicked up a fuss via the Chronicle about it.
Some rail companies around the world who have similar problems have got around it by having a device that releases sand, blasts water or air etc. Nexus’s solution is basically to do nothing and blame someone else for a problem that they largely contribute too.

Offline godzilla

• General Member
« Reply #1072 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
It is only a problem with the leaves of some trees, most of which are native to Northern Europe and the UK.
North Tyneside council once asked the Metro to cut down one of the trees that was on their land and caused the problem for an unrelated matter. Nexus who own and manage the Metro refused. A few years later Nexus asked residents who had similar trees in their garden and near Metro lines to cut down their trees. Those residents refused and I think Nexus kicked up a fuss via the Chronicle about it.
Some rail companies around the world who have similar problems have got around it by having a device that releases sand, blasts water or air etc. Nexus’s solution is basically to do nothing and blame someone else for a problem that they largely contribute too.

You're talking absolute bollocks there mind.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #1073 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 11:38:59 AM »

Even on the spec sheets for the new trains they have not listed any sort of equipment to prevent this issue from being installed.

Offline godzilla

• General Member
« Reply #1074 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 12:24:30 PM »

Even on the spec sheets for the new trains they have not listed any sort of equipment to prevent this issue from being installed.

They don't need to, the equipment is fitted onto Metrocars and also RRVs/Locos are operated during engineering hours within the known worst areas. Every single day Rail Head Treatment Trains are operated throughout the leaf fall season, this includes sandite being applied to the track and the rails are jet washed every single day. You honestly don't have a clue about what has been done, is being done and the plans for the future.
« Last Edit: Friday 8 November 2019, 02:36:54 PM by godzilla »