Author Topic: The Metro - Upgrades, issues, hundreds of billions  (Read 59265 times)

Offline Disco

• General Member
Re: "Years of disruption" for Metro.
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 12:19:16 PM »
Aye mine is just zone 1 like. Pretty lucky that I work and live right on the limits of zone 1 but I think I you go outside the zone and gt caught you just need to pay the difference.

Offline PCW1983

• General Member
  • I love my b****** dog.
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
They should be looking to extend it - crazy there it stops at the airport and doesn't run into Ponteland and there is nothing in the West End either

Im not sure the Sunderland extension will ever prove worth while tbh
Never give up - Winston Churchill

Offline biggs

• General Member
  • Every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
They should be looking to extend it - crazy there it stops at the airport and doesn't run into Ponteland and there is nothing in the West End either

No one from Newcastle wants to go there apart for the match tbh

Offline PCW1983

• General Member
  • I love my b****** dog.
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 06:43:47 PM »
Was talking about this at work today, the project really is massive and should provide jobs locally as well, likely to be more agency work but jobs non the less.

The rail is just about worn out from what i understand and all of the signalling cabling is being renewed too as well as signals and track circuits, most of the work wont have any visual impact when finished however the system needs it desperately.  When the Metro took on Tynemouth and Whitley Bay Rail stations they agreed a maintenance structure to keep them up to the Grade 1 listed standard and from what i understand this hasn't really be done to date.
I just hope they don't end up scrimping on the quality and opt for quantity, its going to have to last a similar period of time again.

Online Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #29 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Can't complain too much as its long overdue. Saying that, its taken them 20 years to install disabled access to Benton Metro :\
too lazy for steps eh ?
:sadnod:

They've removed the step bridge, so I have to walk half way around Benton just to get to the otherside of the tracks now! Its ok coming home though. Glad its going a head, was a horrible rumour that all budgeting for this was going to be cut a few years ago on the cityscape forum.

Eh?! The bridge is gone? That's s***. Why not just leave it there and still have some ramps knocking about.

Nee idea. I think they have to remove it so they can redo the foundation for the new and improved super bridge!

Aye they had to redo the foundations and that interfered in a load of other s**** like sewers and stuff, apparently. It's been a right f*** on going to my mam's and doing laps of half of Benton.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #30 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:20:46 PM »
What's the nearest metro to NE13 9AA?

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #31 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:21:48 PM »

where is that?

Online Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #32 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:22:56 PM »
Somewhere like Fawdon by the looks of it.

Offline PCW1983

• General Member
  • I love my b****** dog.
« Reply #33 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:23:52 PM »

where is that?

Prob be Regent Centre but you will have to get a bus,if its Great north park?

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #34 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:24:29 PM »
Fuk it, too far away.  :lol:

Offline PCW1983

• General Member
  • I love my b****** dog.
« Reply #35 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:25:21 PM »

If your looking at a job in Sage i'm pretty sure they do some kind of staff bus service from places.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #36 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:26:35 PM »

If your looking at a job in Sage i'm pretty sure they do some kind of staff bus service from places.

They've an opening day on Monday, i was interested to see what their Technical Support Consultant role has to offer. Is there any buses from a metro to there?

Offline PCW1983

• General Member
  • I love my b****** dog.
« Reply #37 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:35:51 PM »

They've an opening day on Monday, i was interested to see what their Technical Support Consultant role has to offer. Is there any buses from a metro to there?

Cant say for def mate but i'm sure there will be, its out on a limb too much for them not to, like i said i'm sure that they have some kind of staff service up to there, could be wrong though but worth checking out. 

Other then that the 42,43,44,45 busses pass Gosfroth park, thats not far from there but a walk none the less, get them from Haymarket and numerous others im sure.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 22 January 2011, 08:30:35 AM »
took the metro once when i was back home, up to the airport  :smitten:

love the metro, south gossy is boss one
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Rob W

• General Member
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 22 January 2011, 08:48:01 AM »

me mam was always against it "they'll all be up here stealing from us mark my words!"
The rapturous, wild & ineffable pleasure of drinking at someone else's expense

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 23 January 2011, 08:39:01 AM »
Had my first nightmare journey with this this morning, got up nice and early because I knew they were off along the top line, so I'd have to get a bus replacement.  Then found out the bus replacement wasn't calling at Monksteaton because of "unforseen roadworks" you know, the ones being carried out on the metro bridge that have been going on for about 3 months, with signs warning about them for a month before that, the ones that seem to have come as a surprise to them.  So there was a replacement-bus-replacement into Whitley, but that didn't start till 9 and I was meant to be at work at 8, so I ended up hoofing it to West Monksteaton, discovering by the time the next bus turned up I'd be massively late and f***ing it off and getting a £15 taxi, which I've demanded Nexus pay for.

Mantis

« Reply #41 on: Sunday 23 January 2011, 10:08:44 AM »
Public transport works, thats why we all supposed to ditch our cars.  As long as your job fits in with Nexus timetables.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 2 February 2011, 02:50:52 PM »
Gonna be off from Byker to Tynemouth for the next five weekends, the the following weekend the same stretch is going to be off for 23 days in a row.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #43 on: Monday 20 June 2011, 10:26:21 AM »
Some f***ing dickheads have been robbing cable AGAIN, this is like the third time in a week or something. Finally running again, but big delays. Hope the thieving c***s end up looking like that bagel I left under the grill.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #44 on: Monday 20 June 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
Took wor lass 90mins to get to work this morning, usually around 20min Mark, she's fuming.

Offline PCW1983

• General Member
  • I love my b****** dog.
« Reply #45 on: Monday 20 June 2011, 08:24:35 PM »
Some f***ing dickheads have been robbing cable AGAIN, this is like the third time in a week or something. Finally running again, but big delays. Hope the thieving c***s end up looking like that bagel I left under the grill.

Its a nationwide problem, honestly the money it is costing the rail industry in general is astonishing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jun/06/sheffield-copper-theft-national-rail

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 28 June 2011, 11:58:41 AM »
More stolen last night it seems, off from between here and Wallsend at least.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
Page last updated at 16:24 GMT+01:00, Tuesday, 5 July 2011
Boy electrocuted in 'theft bid'

The boy's body was discovered by a security guard
A boy has been electrocuted during a suspected attempt to steal copper cable at a disused Leeds power station.

CE Electric UK said the 16-year-old had tampered with cabling at the site on Skelton Grange Road in Stourton, near Hunslet, on Sunday, 3 July.

His body was discovered by a security guard working for CE Electric UK.

West Yorkshire Police said three youths had been interviewed in connection with suspected theft and that inquiries were ongoing.

CE Electric said it had dealt with 279 incidents of metal theft in West Yorkshire in the last year.

Geoff Earl, head of safety for CE Electric UK, said: "It is believed that the youth died after attempting to steal copper components from our network.

"The circumstances of the incident have had devastating consequences for his family who now have to come terms with this tragedy.

"We cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to tamper with electrical equipment on the network.

"Our sites are clearly marked with 'Danger of Death' signs for a very important reason.

"We are pleading with these thieves to think about the consequences of their actions and how much they are risking for such a small return, especially in light of this tragedy."

sp**, let's hope this happens to the c***s up our way.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 5 July 2011, 06:21:46 PM »
Delays again this morning man. It's every other day now.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

WashyGeordie

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 20 September 2011, 05:42:50 PM »
Don't know if anyone seen this (or posted it) and i didn't know where to put it, but there's talk of another Metro expansion:

Quote from: Journal Live
The Metro could be extended to new parts of the region after transport bosses unveiled a decade worth of expansion plans, including proposals to extend the Metro to Cramlington.

New city centre trams could be introduced as part of long-term plans being considered by the Tyne and Wear Integrated Transport Authority.

Nine new lines, a mixture of trains, trams and special bus routes, are to be put before the board next week, with members being told they have a “once in a generation” opportunity to radically change the future of the rail system.

The plans include the potential for a new tram train line travelling from Newcastle city centre to the west end, a section of Tyneside not connected to the Metro system.

Large parts of Tyne and Wear are currently not served by Metro, with transport chiefs at the authority commissioning an independent review to address this over the next 10 years.

It is hoped the business case for the new trains, as well as reopening some tracks, will be put together by 2013, in advance of Government plans to start the bidding process for new major infrastructure projects in 2014.

But with Government funding no longer guaranteed, the transport authority will either have to lead a strong and lengthy lobbying operation or find a way of bringing in private sector cash.

Last year the service was awarded £300m by the Government for upgrade work in exchange for bringing in private operators DB Regio to run Metro trains.

Bernard Garner, director general of Nexus, said: “The benefits of Metro are clear and we would like to extend those benefits to new parts of Tyne and Wear where it would benefit the whole economy to do so. This is not only a study into the potential networks of future decades, but also the types of technologies that might suit them best.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news//tm_headline=metro-expansion-plans-revealed-to-expand-system%26method=full%26objectid=29432105%26siteid=61634-name_page.html#ixzz1Y6BXCoWs

Spoiler
[close]

Canny interesting to see what'll happen in 2013.