Author Topic: The Metro - Upgrades, issues, hundreds of billions  (Read 64886 times)

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
Re: The Metro - Upgrades, issues, hundreds of billions
« Reply #1200 on: Monday 23 December 2019, 11:26:43 PM »
I think transporting hundreds of people increases the pressure massively like. Responsibility for making sure people get to and from their journey for 11 hours off the bounce must be tough. If I have a bad day at work and make a few mistakes at least I know no-one dies. Can't be the same for them, it's not a pressure I'd want.
Same can be said for any driving job, and various other jobs.

Absolutely :thup:
Which other driving jobs ferry about hundreds at a time, cant avoid collisions and can take up to half a mile to stop ?

I never mentioned being on rails and stopping distances!  :lol:

I was merely staring driving hundreds of people around all day must create huge pressure and I personally couldn't cope with it. Trying to pass the job off as being fairly simple and straightforward is ridiculous.
So that means all driving jobs arent the same. Youd think people that have done both would know the difference. I know people that have ans guess what ?

Obviously they're not the same but driving a busy double decker and driving a train both mean transporting lots of people, there are similarities. Driving a small taxi is different again, long distance lorry driver is different to both. Wouldn't particularly want to do any of them
Except in most of those cases you can steer and brake a lot quicker.

Granted the not having to deal with punters thing.......but that's coming.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline midds

• Administrator
« Reply #1201 on: Monday 23 December 2019, 11:30:55 PM »
I think transporting hundreds of people increases the pressure massively like. Responsibility for making sure people get to and from their journey for 11 hours off the bounce must be tough. If I have a bad day at work and make a few mistakes at least I know no-one dies. Can't be the same for them, it's not a pressure I'd want.

Which other driving jobs ferry about hundreds at a time, cant avoid collisions and can take up to half a mile to stop ?

I was merely staring driving hundreds of people around all day must create huge pressure and I personally couldn't cope with it. Trying to pass the job off as being fairly simple and straightforward is ridiculous.
So that means all driving jobs arent the same. Youd think people that have done both would know the difference. I know people that have ans guess what ?

Obviously they're not the same but driving a busy double decker and driving a train both mean transporting lots of people, there are similarities. Driving a small taxi is different again, long distance lorry driver is different to both. Wouldn't particularly want to do any of them

Which is why I never mentioned being rails or stopping distances :thup:

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1202 on: Monday 23 December 2019, 11:35:26 PM »

So you're localising it  to tarmac based driving.......fair nuff
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #1203 on: Monday 23 December 2019, 11:39:05 PM »

Something happens in front of you, you can’t swerve a fully laden wagon (or an empty one), now could you with a bus. You are likely making the situation worse than colliding head on, as terrible and potentially morbid as that sounds.
Also, a fully laden 44 ton wagon, with a combination of it’s speed, load, and weather, can take up to and above 70 meters to stop. The load could still keep travelling.

As for working time hours/succession of days. I did my CPC theory 2 months ago, a demonstration test a month ago, as well as my practical a month ago.
It clearly stated that the working time directive forbids working for 10 days straight, as well as the CPC directive (CPC only applying to HGV and Bus drivers). It is a major part of the tests, it is asked multiple times through the test on different variations. The training material provided by public agencies explains this multiple times.
If Metro drivers/train drivers are not aware of this, then I suggest they take it up with their union, because HGV drivers are being told that the working time directive prohibits it. Either way, one lot of workers are being deceived.

Offline midds

• Administrator
« Reply #1204 on: Monday 23 December 2019, 11:43:29 PM »

So you're localising it  to tarmac based driving.......fair nuff

Pretty sure we actually agree on how difficult it is tbh. Transporting people, in a train or a bus, must be stressful and I wouldn't want that pressure and coping with that pressure deserves a good wage. That's pretty much the entirety of my point. I'll leave you to it from here.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #1205 on: Monday 23 December 2019, 11:47:11 PM »
And as I've stated before practically all local operators are recruiting at the minute so one of them would be bound to be overjoyed to have you Stiffles.
I love how anytime I disagree with people there is always sarcastic comments like this aimed at me.
I’ve worked hard, trained hard to where I have got so far.
I admit I need experience, but I’m working towards something. I hate how everytime I disagree, I always get things thrown back in my face like this.

When you try and put an argument whilst quoting things which are totally incorrect, then you leave yourself wide open.
No, I get these sarcastic comments anytime I disagree with someone.
It’s worth noting that I wasn’t actually disagreeing with people outright. All I was doing was making similarities to people in similar positions working under similar conditions.

A nurse is in direct charge of people’s lives. They work long hours, long days, unsociable hours, and in stressful environments. They by and large get a lot less money than what Metro drivers get now and are proposed to get. I doubt many of them would have much sympathy for the Metro drivers rejecting £47k for their position, and striking which impacts them. This is the core point I am making.

Rightly or wrongly, they are not going to get sympathy by the majority of passengers. This strike has done nothing to get public support, in-fact it has done the opposite.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1206 on: Monday 23 December 2019, 11:49:44 PM »

Something happens in front of you, you can’t swerve a fully laden wagon (or an empty one), now could you with a bus. You are likely making the situation worse than colliding head on, as terrible and potentially morbid as that sounds.
Also, a fully laden 44 ton wagon, with a combination of it’s speed, load, and weather, can take up to and above 70 meters to stop. The load could still keep travelling.

As for working time hours/succession of days. I did my CPC theory 2 months ago, a demonstration test a month ago, as well as my practical a month ago.
It clearly stated that the working time directive forbids working for 10 days straight, as well as the CPC directive (CPC only applying to HGV and Bus drivers). It is a major part of the tests, it is asked multiple times through the test on different variations. The training material provided by public agencies explains this multiple times.
If Metro drivers/train drivers are not aware of this, then I suggest they take it up with their union, because HGV drivers are being told that the working time directive prohibits it. Either way, one lot of workers are being deceived.
How long did your course take. It takes just on a year minimum to train a train driver ? Wonder why that is ?

As for working hours etc I'd guess train drivers have different rules than lorry/bus drivers. Train drivers work to a system called "hidden" in which they can work 12 days in any 14 day period

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1207 on: Monday 23 December 2019, 11:50:57 PM »
And as I've stated before practically all local operators are recruiting at the minute so one of them would be bound to be overjoyed to have you Stiffles.
I love how anytime I disagree with people there is always sarcastic comments like this aimed at me.
I admit I need experience, but I’m working towards something. I hate how everytime I disagree, I always get things thrown back in my face like this.

When you try and put an argument whilst quoting things which are totally incorrect, then you leave yourself wide open.
It’s worth noting that I wasn’t actually disagreeing with people outright. All I was doing was making similarities to people in similar positions working under similar conditions.

A nurse is in direct charge of people’s lives. They work long hours, long days, unsociable hours, and in stressful environments. They by and large get a lot less money than what Metro drivers get now and are proposed to get. I doubt many of them would have much sympathy for the Metro drivers rejecting £47k for their position, and striking which impacts them. This is the core point I am making.

Rightly or wrongly, they are not going to get sympathy by the majority of passengers. This strike has done nothing to get public support, in-fact it has done the opposite.
No mate, you were making comparisons when knowing little about one side of it.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #1208 on: Monday 23 December 2019, 11:59:12 PM »

I was making comparisons that 99% of people who aren’t train drivers would make. These people are the Metro drivers passengers.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1209 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 12:06:38 AM »

I was making comparisons that 99% of people who aren’t train drivers would make. These people are the Metro drivers passengers.
Always get info before making an opinion.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #1210 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 12:19:14 AM »
A passenger plane is just a bus with wings. Pilots shouldn't get paid more than a bus driver. They even use auto pilot the lazy b******s.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1211 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 12:20:17 AM »

Always get info before making an opinion.
Says me I've done it loads of times but I think I do learn from the new info.

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
« Reply #1212 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 01:48:52 AM »
Hundreds of billions, man.

Still all these years later it gets me.  :lol:
Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.

Offline godzilla

• General Member
« Reply #1213 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 03:39:49 AM »

Nexus workers are able by the working time directives and law to work 12 days consecutive as-long as there is at least 12 hours between the end of their previous shift and the start of the next shift. Nexus is a public operated company and all working rosters, working hours etc etc etc are audited.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1214 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 08:40:08 AM »

[/b]

See it's this sort of I'll infomed arrogance that leads to people being sarcy with you.

Offline morla84

• General Member
« Reply #1215 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 09:15:43 AM »
You can opt out of the WTD if you want

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1216 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 09:18:10 AM »
You can opt out of the WTD if you want
Not everyone can.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #1217 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 09:46:26 AM »

[/b]

See it's this sort of I'll infomed arrogance that leads to people being sarcy with you.
How is it uninformed?
f***ing hell, I have pointed out that one group of workers are currently being trained and taught one thing whilst another is being told and trained another. It leaves one group of workers worse off. How is suggesting that they get more clarification an uninformed opinion and arrogant? It’s genuine advice.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1218 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 10:12:16 AM »

[/b]

How is it uninformed?
f***ing hell, I have pointed out that one group of workers are currently being trained and taught one thing whilst another is being told and trained another. It leaves one group of workers worse off. How is suggesting that they get more clarification an uninformed opinion and arrogant? It’s genuine advice.
Godzilla has already told you  and I have, that doesnt work in the Railway but you'll plough on thinking you know better after 5 minutes of training in totally different sector.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #1219 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 10:36:12 AM »

[/b]

How is it uninformed?
Godzilla has already told you  and I have, that doesnt work in the Railway but you'll plough on thinking you know better after 5 minutes of training in totally different sector.
Irregardless. At £47k (over £60K with their pension) many people outside of this line of work are going to say the wage is a good trade off. That’s what you are not getting.
The drivers are disrupting the lives of people who also have long jobs, many days without a rest, etc in their roles, and who die their roles for much less. Ultimately they are not going to have much sympathy with the Metro drivers, similarly their is not much sympathy for trains drivers who are striking in the GWML either.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1220 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 10:44:14 AM »

[/b]

How is it uninformed?
Irregardless. At £47k (over £60K with their pension) many people outside of this line of work are going to say the wage is a good trade off. That’s what you are not getting.
The drivers are disrupting the lives of people who also have long jobs, many days without a rest, etc in their roles, and who die their roles for much less. Ultimately they are not going to have much sympathy with the Metro drivers, similarly their is not much sympathy for trains drivers who are striking in the GWML either.

That's been the exact problem with this country for decades now. People giving up their happiness for a few extra grand. Every single person I know has whinged about their job. then found another only to take the offer of a pay rise at the job they hated in the first place. And within months they're back to complaining about their lot.

An extra £13k will be worthless in 5 years (these five years specifically), but every employee going forward will be forced to accept the conditions.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1221 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 10:46:51 AM »
I mean it should surprise nobody that Stifler wants everybody to be subject to the same working conditions as retail workers.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #1222 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 11:02:17 AM »
I mean it should surprise nobody that Stifler wants everybody to be subject to the same working conditions as retail workers.
I stand up for all workers.
All I’m saying is they will get no sympathy from the general public. A wage of £47K puts them in the top 10% of earners in the country. Not many people are going to defend them.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1223 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 11:18:22 AM »

[/b]

How is it uninformed?
Irregardless ? By which you mean you were wrong.

As for the rest it's good of you to decide how much others should get based on little knowledge of the conditions they have and maybe giving away and dont compare different sectors with vastly differing working practices,rules and guidelines. I agree their timing has been crap and they arent fighting a good PR game.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #1224 on: Tuesday 24 December 2019, 11:53:15 AM »

[/b]

How is it uninformed?
Irregardless ? By which you mean you were wrong.

As for the rest it's good of you to decide how much others should get based on little knowledge of the conditions they have and maybe giving away and dont compare different sectors with vastly differing working practices,rules and guidelines. I agree their timing has been crap and they arent fighting a good PR game.
I have never said that they do or don’t deserve £47k.
I have pointed out how others will view it.