Author Topic: The Metro - Upgrades, issues, hundreds of billions  (Read 56104 times)

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
The Metro - Upgrades, issues, hundreds of billions
« on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 10:59:28 am »
Metro faces disruption amid £385m revamp

HUGE stretches of the Metro are to be closed for weeks at a time as a £22m revamp gets under way, it was revealed today.

Passengers face years of disruption as mile after mile of rail line closes around the clock for essential work.

The first stretch to be affected is between Byker and Tynemouth which will close for 23 days in March and April as part of the biggest engineering programme in Metro’s 30 years.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2011/01/19/metro-faces-disruption-amid-385m-revamp-72703-28014269/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1BZX3p3EB
« Last Edit: Wednesday 23 October 2013, 06:03:19 pm by Rich »

Offline Disco

• General Member
Re: "Years of disruption" for Metro.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 11:21:30 am »
So long as South Gosforth to Felling stays largely unaffected. Can't be f***ed with having to get the peasant wagon to work.

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• General Member
  • Absolute C***
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 11:22:57 am »
So long as South Gosforth to Felling remian unaffected.

This.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 11:33:27 am »
Can't complain too much as its long overdue. Saying that, its taken them 20 years to install disabled access to Benton Metro :\

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 11:45:13 am »
Has to be done before the system falls into serious disrepair as it hasn't had much upgraded since the main system was built.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 12:03:23 pm »
Aye don't disagree with that Neesy. Could do with some more modern trains n all but does the job I guess. Sounds like these changes are necessary though so good on them for doing it.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 12:07:31 pm »
Aye don't disagree with that Neesy. Could do with some more modern trains n all but does the job I guess. Sounds like these changes are necessary though so good on them for doing it.

All the trains are being refurbished IIRC, or new rolling stock being ordered.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 12:08:38 pm »
Can't complain too much as its long overdue. Saying that, its taken them 20 years to install disabled access to Benton Metro :\
too lazy for steps eh ?
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline PCW1983

• General Member
  • I love my b****** dog.
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 12:10:23 pm »
Has to be done before the system falls into serious disrepair as it hasn't had much upgraded since the main system was built.

From what i understand the metro has a policy of replace rather then maintain, its likely to have already went to far tbh.
Never give up - Winston Churchill

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 12:17:52 pm »

All the trains are being refurbished IIRC, or new rolling stock being ordered.
Aye, we wont's see the new trains for another 15 years or so, but we are due back the first lot of trains then went to get refurbished in a few months.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 02:35:58 pm »
Don't see the problem, if there is going to be upgrades there'll be inconvenience for a while.

Offline pedro111

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 02:39:49 pm »
Going to be hellish on matchdays!

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 03:46:29 pm »
At the end of the day this has to be done, otherwise we will just see more delays, and in the end the system will fail and will just get shut down.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 03:48:53 pm »
too lazy for steps eh ?
:sadnod:

They've removed the step bridge, so I have to walk half way around Benton just to get to the otherside of the tracks now! Its ok coming home though. Glad its going a head, was a horrible rumour that all budgeting for this was going to be cut a few years ago on the cityscape forum.

Offline Weezertron

• General Member
  • I always wanted to be a Tenenbaum. NE12.
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 04:38:58 pm »
too lazy for steps eh ?

They've removed the step bridge, so I have to walk half way around Benton just to get to the otherside of the tracks now! Its ok coming home though. Glad its going a head, was a horrible rumour that all budgeting for this was going to be cut a few years ago on the cityscape forum.

Eh?! The bridge is gone? That's s***. Why not just leave it there and still have some ramps knocking about.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 04:39:47 pm »
too lazy for steps eh ?

Eh?! The bridge is gone? That's s***. Why not just leave it there and still have some ramps knocking about.

Nee idea. I think they have to remove it so they can redo the foundation for the new and improved super bridge!

Offline Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 04:54:14 pm »
About time, it's very expensive and the trains are minging.
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 04:56:33 pm »
It couldn't get any worse for myself every time i have to use it so I hope this really does inconvenience everyone else as well.

Offline Rob W

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 08:20:28 am »
They should be looking to extend it - crazy there it stops at the airport and doesn't run into Ponteland and there is nothing in the West End either
The rapturous, wild & ineffable pleasure of drinking at someone else's expense

Offline biggs

• General Member
  • Every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 08:41:38 am »
Thought the title was the name of a new Morrisey album :nope:

Offline biggs

• General Member
  • Every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 08:44:40 am »
They should be looking to extend it - crazy there it stops at the airport and doesn't run into Ponteland and there is nothing in the West End either
Chavtastic if they did that it would be like the film The Warriors with crews from all over having a trip to chin the posh boys .

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:22:51 am »
Mind you compared to other metro systems the Metro is ridiculous expensive, though transport in the North East is.

In London any bus journey is £1.30, and it only costs me £2.80 return on the tube to work and back.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 09:23:41 am »
Mind you compared to other metro systems the Metro is ridiculous expensive, though transport in the North East is.

In London any bus journey is £1.30, and it only costs me £2.80 return on the tube to work and back.

Aye, Newcastle buses are mad expensive as well. Low Fell to Newcastle is over £3 return on the bus (IIRC), and it only takes about 10 minutes and is no distance at all.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 10:16:13 am »

I pay £33 for 4 weeks on the metro so it ain't too bad.

Offline Ocho

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 10:21:37 am »

I pay £33 for 4 weeks on the metro so it ain't too bad.

That's a cracking price.

Merseyrail charge £46 just for one zone, two zones is £57.30.

Robbing scousers  :shifty: