Author Topic: On this day...  (Read 22286 times)

Offline Tsunami

• General Member
  • Ashley Out
Re: On this day...
« Reply #375 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
That .com report is a bit ott. The players let Bobby down as they threw away a CL place. The booing was for those players and it wasn’t that much where I was. Not many stayed behind because of the performances late in that season.

On a different note; that Leicester first half, bloody hell that was good.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #376 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:56:20 PM »
When reading some of the .com reports that pop up on the On This Day section of the home page from like between 1996 and 2005 they seemed to be far more opinionated in match reports than they do now.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Online Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #377 on: Friday 10 May 2019, 02:25:29 AM »
When reading some of the .com reports that pop up on the On This Day section of the home page from like between 1996 and 2005 they seemed to be far more opinionated in match reports than they do now.

They certainly hated Freddy more than they ever did Ashley
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler.

"I have heard lots of nonsense about tactics but the big thing is about showing pride and having a go." 29/09/19

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #378 on: Friday 10 May 2019, 08:36:09 AM »

They certainly hated Freddy more than they ever did Ashley

That’s because FS tried to get their domain name off them...
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #379 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 11:38:19 AM »

:smitten:

Offline Disco

« Reply #380 on: Friday 24 May 2019, 11:11:07 AM »

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #381 on: Friday 24 May 2019, 11:22:12 AM »
Also relegated in 09

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #382 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 09:08:06 AM »
Finally reached 50 years to the day since we won anything, here's to another 50 more!  :Jonny2J: :'(
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #383 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 09:10:26 AM »
Gerrin!
?s=21

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #384 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 09:27:40 AM »
Ridiculous, we've went that long considering we've have periods where we have had chances to win a trophy.

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #385 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 08:09:16 PM »
3 fa cup final defeats
1 league cup final defeat
2 premier league runners up
and numerous semi finals home and in europe.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #386 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 08:18:21 PM »
The 5 closest occasions?

1976 - a wonder goal at 1-1.
1996 - obvious.
2000 - 1-1 and playing well, lose to a goal from a free-kick which should have been retaken with Villa waiting in the final.
2002 - Worthington Cup late on, O’Brien misses a sitter at Chelsea before JFH won it in injury-time. We’d have had mid-table Spurs in the Semi then relegation threatened Blackburn in the Final.
2005 - We p*ssed through the competition up to half-time in the Second Leg of the 1/4s, with AZ and CSKA Moscow to come.

?s=21

Offline Paully

• General Member
« Reply #387 on: Tuesday 30 July 2019, 12:31:37 PM »
Just to cheer everyone up!

?s=21

Offline geordiedean

• General Member
« Reply #388 on: Tuesday 30 July 2019, 02:52:21 PM »
Just to cheer everyone up!

?s=21

Happy days when we were a real force. Never to be seen again unfortunately. I do feel for the supporters who weren't around to see how good we were between 93 and 97. Teams used to rock up to SJP and be grateful of leaving without being hammered
and now Tudor's gone down for Newcastle

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #389 on: Tuesday 30 July 2019, 02:53:22 PM »
Said it on the club’s Twitter feed, but today’s Newcastle would have offered £8m, then signed Patrice Loko from PSG for £3.5m instead.
?s=21

Offline geordiedean

• General Member
« Reply #390 on: Tuesday 30 July 2019, 03:08:45 PM »
Said it on the club’s Twitter feed, but today’s Newcastle would have offered £8m, then signed Patrice Loko from PSG for £3.5m instead.

Scarily accurate
and now Tudor's gone down for Newcastle

Offline Disco

« Reply #391 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 01:48:58 PM »

Offline Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #392 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 02:12:01 PM »

Pretty impressive to think about Patrice Loko. Perfect for the example :lol:
Toon Army Norway - www.newutd.no

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #393 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
I was away in Scotland with my Mam when we signed Shearer, my Dad faxed that front page to the hotel reception :lol:

Couldn't believe it.

Offline Pandamninator

• General Member
« Reply #394 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 04:40:32 AM »
The 5 closest occasions?

1996 - obvious.
2000 - 1-1 and playing well, lose to a goal from a free-kick which should have been retaken with Villa waiting in the final.
2002 - Worthington Cup late on, O’Brien misses a sitter at Chelsea before JFH won it in injury-time. We’d have had mid-table Spurs in the Semi then relegation threatened Blackburn in the Final.
2005 - We p*ssed through the competition up to half-time in the Second Leg of the 1/4s, with AZ and CSKA Moscow to come.

2004 UEFA Cup as well - tied after the first leg of the semi with Woodgate shutting down Drogba.  If Woodgate was fit for the second leg, a single away goal would've done it for us.
"But Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards"

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #395 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 06:10:01 AM »
I didn’t include that because I didn’t think we’d have beaten Rafa’s Valencia in the Final with those injuries.
?s=21

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #396 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 09:10:38 AM »
The 5 closest occasions?

1996 - obvious.

Two consecutive FA Cup finals?

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #397 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 09:56:30 AM »
The 5 closest occasions?

1996 - obvious.

Two consecutive FA Cup finals?

Again, I don’t think we had any realistic chance of beating Arsenal or Man Utd in those finals. They were two of the best sides the league has seen.
?s=21

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #398 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 09:59:40 AM »
I’ll throw the 2002 FA Cup in there though. We probably should have beaten Arsenal at home before they tanked us in the replay. It would have been Boro in the Semi then Chelsea who we’d finished higher than in the table in the Final.
?s=21

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #399 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 08:31:04 PM »