Author Topic: On this day...  (Read 22293 times)

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
Re: On this day...
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday 3 April 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
But lets be honest, as Newcastle fans, we'd rather get beat 4-3, than lose 1-0. LIVE ON SUPER SUNDAY

Offline nufcjb

• General Member
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday 3 April 2019, 04:21:48 PM »
I was gutted leaving the ground but the feeling was 20 times worse leaving Ewood five days later  :'( :'( :'(

?s=21

Last home game of this season, Rafa's last home game. Liverpool need a win to stay alive in the title race.

Your commentary team Martin Tyler and Jamie Carragher.

93rd minute, score is 3-3.  SJP is loud and singing about Rafa.

Tyler: Perez..hanging on for man of the match..Perez..Almiron..Perez..........still Ayoze Perez....Joselu closing iiinnnnnn!!!!!! Newcastle lead in stoppage time!!!!!
Carragher: You absolute divvy! Do one you soft spanish c***.

klopp goes bonkers. SJP goes wild. Rafa doesnt know whether to celebrate or cry.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday 3 April 2019, 04:32:17 PM »
:anguish:

Offline geordie john

• General Member
  • My Pops holding 'it' in 1955!
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday 3 April 2019, 04:42:24 PM »
nufcjb, we can only dream but I love your optimism and style!
Cut me and I bleed black and white

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 05:26:34 PM »
Abysmal FA Cup semi final defeat in Cardiff and Shearer's farewell at the Mackems.

Reading the .com report on the former. Now sat all depressed in the Venetian sun. Champion.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #330 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 06:14:49 PM »
Abysmal FA Cup semi final defeat in Cardiff and Shearer's farewell at the Mackems.

Reading the .com report on the former. Now sat all depressed in the Venetian sun. Champion.
That semi we stopped overnight  in Gloucester. Drove there then train to Cardiff. Same coming out but no overnight we made Wetherby and I rang a mate to see where he was........."Still in the f***ing coach park in Cardiff!"
« Last Edit: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 06:44:03 PM by madras »
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #331 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 06:28:34 PM »
We drove to Hereford of all places ffs. First ever away game, grim as f***.
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #332 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 06:48:12 PM »
The night we stopped over there were a few Blackburn fans as they had played that day. Impromptu games of street football. We used a football to guide us to pubs. Punt it down the street and go in the nearest pub to where it landed.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #333 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 07:23:56 PM »

Bus to Cardiff 3am Sunday, got back 2am Monday. Was in year 11, weeks away from my GCSEs and fell asleep in double physics on the Monday morning. Cool as f*** story, I know.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Paully

• General Member
« Reply #334 on: Thursday 25 April 2019, 05:42:09 AM »
My favourite Shearer goal! Everyone seems to forget how good Shola’s was too! Look at the black and white shirts in the ground as well! Pride in the Club back then! I’m sure we helped Arsenal win the league this day iirc as they played Spurs away after this?!

?s=21
« Last Edit: Thursday 25 April 2019, 06:10:30 AM by Paully »

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #335 on: Thursday 25 April 2019, 06:04:26 AM »
Ray Wilkins was in awe of the stadium and atmosphere on commentary that day.
?s=21

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #336 on: Thursday 25 April 2019, 09:38:03 AM »
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #337 on: Thursday 25 April 2019, 09:49:50 AM »
Jigsaw forgot to take his schoolbag off :lol:
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline reefatoon

• General Member
« Reply #338 on: Thursday 25 April 2019, 09:53:35 AM »
Now that was an important game!

Offline Paully

• General Member
« Reply #339 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
?s=21

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
« Reply #340 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 11:45:27 AM »
My favourite Shearer goal! Everyone seems to forget how good Shola’s was too! Look at the black and white shirts in the ground as well! Pride in the Club back then! I’m sure we helped Arsenal win the league this day iirc as they played Spurs away after this?!

?s=21

I have absolutely no memory of their keeper. I thought Cudicini was in goal that day :-D

Offline Away Day Gadgie

• General Member
« Reply #341 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 12:25:11 PM »
?s=21

It saddens me a little bit that a whole generation of people will only associate Keegan with the time he kicked off with his headphones on.  Sky in particular love bringing this moment up, but never seem to point out that Ferguson’s comments were out of order and they like to make Keegan out to be some silly little jumped up man who thought he could go toe to toe with Fergie.  The man was an absolutely legendary footballer and was also a very good manager aswell.  He has a 50% win ratio over his career, compare that to someone like Fat Sam who is apparently a good manager with a 39% win ratio.  I wish he was recognised a bit more for that.
« Last Edit: Monday 29 April 2019, 02:24:21 PM by Away Day Gadgie »
"I will tell you this once, if you ever tell me to f*** off again, I will crack your skull.”
 - Duncan Ferguson, 1999.

Offline Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #342 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
?s=21

It saddens me a little bit that a whole generation of people will only associate Keegan with the time he kicked off with his headphones on.  Sky in particular love bringing this moment up, but never seem to point out that Ferguson’s comments were out of order and they like to make Keegan out to be some silly little jumped up man who thought he could go toe to toe with Fergie.  The man was an absolutely legendary footballer and was also a very good manager aswell.  He has a 50% win ratio over his career, compare that to someone like Fat Sam who is apparently a good manager and has a 39% win ratio.  I wish he was recognised a bit more for that.

What exactly were Fergusons full comments? I've searched a bit now and before and this is all I've found:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/jan/15/sir-alex-ferguson-mind-games
Ferguson gave the interview that would eventually send Keegan into meltdown. "I can't understand the Leeds players," his diatribe began. "I'm absolutely in support of their manager. He doesn't deserve his players. If they had played like that all season they'd be near the top. They raised their game because they were playing Manchester United. It was pathetic. I think we can accept any club coming here and trying their hardest, so long as they do it every week."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/babb/11586896/The-full-story-of-Kevin-Keegans-I-will-love-it-rant.html
As United’s form started to look ominous, Ferguson decided to turn the screw by suggesting teams like Nottingham Forest might not try as hard against Newcastle as they did against his side.

Toon Army Norway - www.newutd.no

Offline Away Day Gadgie

• General Member
« Reply #343 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 02:23:23 PM »
?s=21

It saddens me a little bit that a whole generation of people will only associate Keegan with the time he kicked off with his headphones on.  Sky in particular love bringing this moment up, but never seem to point out that Ferguson’s comments were out of order and they like to make Keegan out to be some silly little jumped up man who thought he could go toe to toe with Fergie.  The man was an absolutely legendary footballer and was also a very good manager aswell.  He has a 50% win ratio over his career, compare that to someone like Fat Sam who is apparently a good manager and has a 39% win ratio.  I wish he was recognised a bit more for that.

What exactly were Fergusons full comments? I've searched a bit now and before and this is all I've found:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/jan/15/sir-alex-ferguson-mind-games
Ferguson gave the interview that would eventually send Keegan into meltdown. "I can't understand the Leeds players," his diatribe began. "I'm absolutely in support of their manager. He doesn't deserve his players. If they had played like that all season they'd be near the top. They raised their game because they were playing Manchester United. It was pathetic. I think we can accept any club coming here and trying their hardest, so long as they do it every week."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/babb/11586896/The-full-story-of-Kevin-Keegans-I-will-love-it-rant.html
As United’s form started to look ominous, Ferguson decided to turn the screw by suggesting teams like Nottingham Forest might not try as hard against Newcastle as they did against his side.

I don’t have the full quotes but he basically suggested that teams like Leeds and Nottingham Forest would try harder against Man Utd because it’s Man Utd and they’d rather Newcastle win the title or something along those lines. 

Some would call it clever from Fergie i guess, a bit like a player who deliberately “wins” a penalty.  Personally it’s not a part of the game i enjoy.
"I will tell you this once, if you ever tell me to f*** off again, I will crack your skull.”
 - Duncan Ferguson, 1999.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #344 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 02:37:19 PM »
Was it not something to do with a testimonial that had been agreed as well?

Offline Doctor Zaius

• General Member
« Reply #345 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 02:39:03 PM »
He was done up like a kipper by Ferguson. As was Benitez.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #346 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 03:39:40 PM »
That was Keegan's strength and greatest weakness, very sensitive and very emotional. it's what made him such an inspiring manager and put him so closely in touch with the fans and the city. But ultimately why he couldn't handle management at the top level for very long.

Offline Paully

• General Member
« Reply #347 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 04:08:55 PM »
Was it not something to do with a testimonial that had been agreed as well?

Aye, Pearce's for Forest at home to us!

Offline nufcjb

• General Member
« Reply #348 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 05:18:42 PM »
Would look like an epic promo for a Wrestlemania main event

Offline Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #349 on: Tuesday 30 April 2019, 11:35:39 AM »
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-story-kevin-keegans-i-11261446

Sorry for just posting the link. The site crashes my pc when I try to scroll due to all the horrible ads, video ads and buggy scripts they force onto it so I'm not able to. Appreciate if anyone with a high end PC could copy&paste article so I can read it in its entirety as it seems to explain a bit more what Keegan meant with his Stuart Pearce comments etc.
Toon Army Norway - www.newutd.no