Author Topic: Potential Materialism: The "What I might buy" Thread  (Read 385526 times)

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
Re: Potential Materialism: The "What I might buy" Thread
« Reply #7900 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 04:03:20 pm »
Cheers people, gonna go and check out a few stores, f***ing hate shopping as well.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #7901 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 04:09:23 pm »
then just buy the tv i told you using the link i posted

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7902 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 04:21:24 pm »
then just buy the tv i told you using the link i posted

Want to have a look first man :lol:

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #7903 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 04:26:47 pm »

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7904 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 06:58:02 pm »
Will do thanks, f***ing hell there are tellies on curries website for 10k, crazy.

I’m actually loathe to spend the kind of budget I’ve posted, but I don’t want something that lasts a year or has a s*** picture and isn’t a decent size and it’s one thing I’ve never invested in yet would pay 900 quid or whatever it was for my iPad.

I just want something decent for the living room to replace our giant but dated telly so we as a family can spend more time together watching things together or playing games (bought kids a Nintendo Switch for Xmas) rather than glued to our iPads all the time.

I don’t watch a lot of normal telly (none of us do) and we cancelled Sky, but we have Netflix and Amazon and me and the wife used to watch some shows together like Master Cheff and the kids are 5 and 6 now and I want to sit them down to watch some classic films like Home Alone, Back to the Future, Goonies, Gremlins etc. especially this time of year.

We all seem to when it comes to TV time turn to our iPads to watch s*** rather than together.

Dunno, just remember when I was a kid we would all sit around the telly to watch films or play on the Megadrive which I actually got last year on a job, boxed, amazing condition, but just looks s*** on our telly :D

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #7905 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 07:11:48 pm »
Looking to get a new telly for the house, over 60 inches, any recommendations? Ideally pre built with nextflix and Amazon if that’s possible, my old TV came with our house when we bought it and although it’s about 70 inches or something it’s looking ancient. Budged 1500-2k

:o

Is that a lot? I know nowt about tellies and always thought they were expensive, the one we have came with the house about 6 years ago and was like 6k or something, mind it had all these speakers and s***.

For me it is :lol:

But nah, that seems about the going rate for the top of the line models these days. If you can afford it, go for it. Those OLEDs are apparently lush.

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #7906 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 07:18:28 pm »
Semtex is absolutely right, listen to what he's saying.
Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddely.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #7907 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 07:38:22 pm »
SIIIIIGNATURED

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #7908 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 07:40:41 pm »
I'd go as far as saying that only a moron wouldn't choose that telly at that price, it wipes the floor with ones two and three times its price.
Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddely.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #7909 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 07:41:57 pm »
A bit expensive but fairly sexy:

https://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/2005-06-newcastle-away-l-s-shirt-solano-4-excellent-l.html

Be cheaper on Ebay. I'm still on the hunt for one of those training jumpers from between 1994-2003. Can never find one, anywhere. Only one on Ebay remotely close to my size is £200, like, ffs. :lol:
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7910 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 07:50:56 pm »
Guarantees are obviously great, but we have home gadgets cover, would that cover a TV? 5 year guarantees mind on something so expensive should be standard from the manufacturer.

Wife wants a new telly, but doesn’t see the need to spend big on one which I’ll remind her about after Xmas when she shops for a new sofa to replace the one we have which just needs a bit of a clean for me.

I’m happy to wait after Xmas for a better deal in the sales, but I’d rather get it out the way sooner if I can, plus I’ve told my brother he can have the old one.

I hate buying things like this, I desperately need a new lap top as mines about 6 years old and slow as f***, but I’m dreading trying to install old programmes such as dreamweaver 3 and Pgotoshop 7 and s*** onto something which I’ll have to learn how to use as no doubt the windows on my laptop is version whatever now.

I’m not a technophobe in that new tech scares me, I’m just not one of these people like everyone else I know all seemingly at ease with technology, understanding it, mastering it and being bang up to date with what’s available from phones to gaming, laptops and TVs. f***ing coffee machines even.

That’s why I’ve stuck with the iPhone even though it’s s****. I do love my iPad though, but that’s because I’m familiar with it and does just about what I need from a tablet.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #7911 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 08:15:16 pm »
Then just ignore all the s**** and buy the best TV you can get. Money doesn't buy happiness HTT. OLEDs do.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #7912 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 08:19:14 pm »
Then just ignore all the s**** and buy the best TV you can get. Money doesn't buy happiness HTT. OLEDs do.

:lol:

Offline Odear

• Photoshop Pro
  • General Member
  • Resident Sociopath
« Reply #7913 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 08:59:46 pm »
How big is your house to have a 65” screen? 😮
Minge Tingles

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #7914 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 09:06:21 pm »
HTT, you do know the Switch is portable, yeah?

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7915 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 10:23:20 pm »
HTT, you do know the Switch is portable, yeah?

Nintendo? Aye, but can also be played on the telly. Bought both boys one each, learned it can be played by two people from the console itself. Don’t fancy the fighting over onwnership though or different games, 280 quid apiece just the console, didn’t want a bundle with fortnight too violent IMO for 5/6 year olds.

That’s their biggest present though in terms of expense, spent well under 500 quid each on both and they will have about 6 things to open each on Xmas day minus clothes. They don’t need much, some parents go crazy on spend and number of presents. My two, grantee will end the day with pens and paper or Lego.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #7916 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 10:33:41 pm »
Aye I just meant with you wanting (not sure if your boys come under that) to get away from being glued to your iPads. Easily done with a Switch as well with it being portable.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7917 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 10:47:34 pm »
Ah right and aye I want them away from their iPads too. I’ll be taking them to London for the new year to visit my sis after Xmas so I’m hoping it will kill some time for them and be a break from their iPads back there which I have to pre download things for them to watch or hook up an internet connection via my phone so they have a bit of control what they watch. Was gonna get some dvd headrest things for my car and looked at built in ones from the maker, but 1500 quid so some other brats can enjoy when I sell it, no thanks.

This is my first venture into game consoles for them which I’ve never played since the Mega Drive was all the rage when I was a kid, so I find it mad you can’t just stream or download games to a console or pay a subscription kind of access fee for games and still have to buy games. Got the 5 years old FIFA 19 40 quid plus and the 6 year old Mario Cart same price.

Wouldnt have a clue if it’s a disc, cartridge or sim. Definitely turning into an old man :lol:

The packaging though, a Pokemon game I picked up looked like one of those ripped DVDs.

Apparently the Switch has been out a while and I’m a bit behind the times and so are my kids whose friends probably got one last Xmas.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7918 on: Monday 17 December 2018, 11:23:53 pm »
How big is your house to have a 65” screen? 😮

It’s a flat and a canny size. Our living room is akin to a 5-a-side pitch and the ceilings are easily 4m plus in height from the living room. I say flat we do have an upstairs in terms of our bedroom, but it eats into the loft based on a mezzanine. It’s quite a unique place and from the outside you would never know.

When we bought our home the huge telly was included and it we’ve tried to replace it since, but anything smaller just looks daft and feels weird to watch which I know is because we are so used to this big daft telly, but as a centre-piece of the living room we need something as big to replace it with especially given how things are laid out.

I measured it earlier on and it is actually 70 inches and weighs a tonne, it’s an LG. It’s so slow and the kids’ 28 inch telly in their room has a better picture. It was hooked up to all kinds of speakers and stuff which I disconnected and ended up giving to a mate as the floors would vibrate. Back in its day I imagine it was top of the range and given it age and size, has lasted well.

Will look like a cinema screen in my brother’s house :D

Offline Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #7919 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 03:10:10 am »
Ah right and aye I want them away from their iPads too. I’ll be taking them to London for the new year to visit my sis after Xmas so I’m hoping it will kill some time for them and be a break from their iPads back there which I have to pre download things for them to watch or hook up an internet connection via my phone so they have a bit of control what they watch. Was gonna get some dvd headrest things for my car and looked at built in ones from the maker, but 1500 quid so some other brats can enjoy when I sell it, no thanks.

This is my first venture into game consoles for them which I’ve never played since the Mega Drive was all the rage when I was a kid, so I find it mad you can’t just stream or download games to a console or pay a subscription kind of access fee for games and still have to buy games. Got the 5 years old FIFA 19 40 quid plus and the 6 year old Mario Cart same price.

Wouldnt have a clue if it’s a disc, cartridge or sim. Definitely turning into an old man :lol:

The packaging though, a Pokemon game I picked up looked like one of those ripped DVDs.

Apparently the Switch has been out a while and I’m a bit behind the times and so are my kids whose friends probably got one last Xmas.

I assume you got this info from some other old man.  ;)

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #7920 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 04:53:06 am »
Aye. :lol: You can download and stream games on the PS4.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
« Reply #7921 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 08:03:17 pm »

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #7922 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 10:05:24 pm »
Oi oiiiiii! I saw one on eBay the other day but it was over £100. :lol: You managed to find a cheaper one?

Also, beware that they can go a bit washed out in the wash.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
« Reply #7923 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 10:58:55 pm »
Oi oiiiiii! I saw one on eBay the other day but it was over £100. :lol: You managed to find a cheaper one?

Also, beware that they can go a bit washed out in the wash.

It's on Ebay. The buy it now price is ridiculous but I offered the guy a much lower price and he's going to take it. Just need to wait until my birthday on Friday to get actual money in my bank account for it, now. :lol:

Offline BergenMagpie

• General Member
« Reply #7924 on: Friday 21 December 2018, 07:12:43 am »

Been wanting this watch since I saw Inception back in 2010, but spending the years after doing the army duty and then studying, I never managed to save up money for it at 2300 pounds.
I thought I was going to get a job I applied for last year and wanted to celebrate it being my first job after graduating, but out of 67 applicants I was the last to not get it. Then I spent a year working in Prague and went back to my alcohaulin party ways spending all my salaries there on the ridiculously good beer.

Now that Im back in Norway, relatively sober and has been very lucky to get a job I really wanted I might get it in January as I also got some advanced inheritance from my grandma. Still, at this price Im thinking I could do a lot, and Im already very satisfied with this $140 Massimo Dutti watch I got back in 2014, which also goes a bit better with my style so this has become a more difficult decision than I thought it would be.

However, it would be cool to "celebrate" adult life with a watch I could wear for ages. Therefore I am wondering if anyone has some experiences with Tag Heuer watches? I would want to be able to wear it at least every other day until I die so I want to make sure it will be running smoothly and not require a lot of service.