Author Topic: Potential Materialism: The "What I might buy" Thread  (Read 396380 times)

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
Re: Potential Materialism: The "What I might buy" Thread
« Reply #7925 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 12:23:10 PM »
Better

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7926 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 09:44:00 PM »
Aye. :lol: You can download and stream games on the PS4.

So why the f*** do they still make games in physical format?

Waste of manufacturing and packgaging. Is it to maintain the used games/game swapping industry or something?

CDs and DVDs likewise, surely there is no need today to put music and films onto a disc? Makes no sense.

Unless it’s cheaper or more practical to do so than uploading, hosting and selling downloads and streams online for the gaming industry.

Regarding the TV I went to buy the one linked in here from Costco because I can claim the VAT back, but they only had it in 55 inches in store, online it wouldn’t arrive til after Xmas so I’m wondering if that same telly will end up cheaper in the sales after Xmas?

Looks like I’ve measured our current one wrong as well because the 70 inch ones on display in Costco look much smaller than our old one by a good few extra inches, I can’t wrap my arms around the length of our TV.

I’m sold on OLED though, of all those on display OLED TVs seemed to have the best picture and the LG telly has a remote you swipe/move to navigate rather than point and press buttons, seems more fluid and more interactive. Also seems like it’s pre built with amazon, Netflix etc.

There was a huge telly for sale for less than 1k, dunno make, but I was tempted because the picture is better than ours, but nowhere near as good as the OLED ones.

Costco mind, you can keep it, I think it’s a con trick claiming cheap prices. I spent my time there sampling their food and drink samples while the wife bought multi-packs of this and that we don’t need or can easily buy singular. Multi-pack bottles of coke? Washing up liquid? Beer no-one will drink in our household? Frozen s*** for the freezer which will stay frozen all year and random art stuff for the kids to graffiti the house with. Wouldn’t have minded so much, but it was my card she used at check out to pay for this s***.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #7927 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 09:51:05 PM »
Physical games are very often cheaper which makes no sense. People also like to trade in games they have completed or some people like to collect physical games. Some people are also worried about what happens with their digital games in 10-20 years.

Microsoft tried to go mostly digital with their newest console but had to backtrack after a massive backlash.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7928 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 11:00:37 PM »
So gamers are seriously protective of their gaming traditions/culture? f***ing nerds.

Used games industry doesn’t benefit the manufacturers financally, only benefit I can see selling/swapping frees up money/shelves for new games.

Again doesn’t make sense.

Open a library of games one can subscribe to access, rent games to gamers they can rent over a period of time or download in full to own which expires after a set period. Create a swap library one can subscribe to access to upload games others can buy to play at a lower price based on length of time left before expirary which the gamers selling get the money from and the games companies get a percentage fee for.

Swaps being free but limited to set number which can be unlocked for a fee.

Licence consoles to tv makers and games to sky or bt or whatever to come built in with the tv itself or sky package. Create console apps for phones and tablets. No need for physical stand alone consoles or physical games. Sega earned more money from making games than consoles, although I imagine Sony make a s*** load from the PlayStation, but I’ve just paid 280 for the kids Switch and 40 quid for a CD game.

Offline Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #7929 on: Sunday 23 December 2018, 11:20:48 PM »
I could answer by writing an essay about cars but I doubt you would find it interesting as I know f*** all about them.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #7930 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 12:04:48 AM »

Online Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #7931 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 04:57:18 AM »
Bearings Straight!

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #7932 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 05:07:33 AM »

Looks a bit  uncomfortable mate.

A little Lucas Oil green grease and it does the job!

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7933 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
Practically every new TV will have some smart features. Each brand will have different applications but Netflix is probably a given. Amazon might vary more.

Either way, you'd be better off buying a Roku or something for £30. I wouldn't let smart features affect your purchase at all.

Got the Roku thing for now, works a treat so cheers for the recommendation.

The telly I want linked on here is already under 1800 quid on John Lewis instead of 2k, glad I didn’t buy it the other day.

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • *cocaine scream*
« Reply #7934 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 04:00:55 PM »

I'm not telling you how to party but you might want a bigger washer on there. As is you're asking to be sat in the hospital thinking up a lie.

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #7935 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 05:19:30 PM »

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #7936 on: Tuesday 25 December 2018, 06:40:49 PM »
I assume the massive picture of a chip buttie is on the back.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #7937 on: Wednesday 26 December 2018, 10:13:20 PM »
I could answer by writing an essay about cars but I doubt you would find it interesting as I know f*** all about them.

Fair enough, I guarantee you will know more about cars than I know about games mind. Despite being a self confessed petrol head I know very little about cars.

Back to games, I tried to buy my eldest a sonic game for the switch from Tesco on Xmas Eve but it was out of stock, would have cost me 30 quid I think. Turns out I can download games to the Switch so this evening for 11 quid I downloaded the very same game so one happy boy. The youngest was jealous so I downloaded the same game, no cost. Problem was he can’t play it while his brother played it so I downloaded another sonic game for 4 quid for him. He couldn’t play it though because it said the account was in use on another console. Now maybe I’m doing things wrong or as I think, each console would need separate accounts. If so that’s a bit stupid to me. I don’t mind having to pay for the sonic game twice to download it to two separate consoles, but it appears you can download it to any console as long as you’re logged in, but just can’t play it at the same time or play any other game not being played but downloaded.

11 quid though and done in seconds, no shops, not 30 quid, no case and packaging. I’m not a gamer, but if I was that’s the way I’d want to get games, instant and cheaper.

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #7938 on: Wednesday 26 December 2018, 10:19:42 PM »
You’re hilarious man, :lol:
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #7939 on: Wednesday 26 December 2018, 10:57:38 PM »
Digital is easy, fast and sometimes cheaper if you have the patience to wait for sales. Hope your kids are enjoying them!

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7940 on: Wednesday 26 December 2018, 11:10:03 PM »
TBF it is weird that games are cheaper in physical stores than via downloading. Just a symptom of all the individual channels, retailers and pricing strategies I suppose.

Online Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #7941 on: Thursday 27 December 2018, 04:29:56 AM »
Issue with downloads is storage space on your device. My steam library has over 200 games but only 50 or so are installed at one time, and with a PC its no issue adding another hard drive if you need it.

Consoles have become more like PC's and you can easily do the same, however the prices on the PS Store and steam are vastly different, with Sony keeping the digital prices quite high in the main. Saying that I've bought a few games on offer and having them installed fully on the system means no swapping discs when I want to play, just means I can't lend the disc to a friend to play or trade it in, when I'm done.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #7942 on: Friday 28 December 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
15% off everything on eBay today.
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7943 on: Thursday 3 January 2019, 02:33:13 PM »
TBF it is weird that games are cheaper in physical stores than via downloading. Just a symptom of all the individual channels, retailers and pricing strategies I suppose.

If publishers make the digital versions cheaper, the likes of GAME lose out on a f*** load of sales. So the physical retailers threaten to stop selling the physical versions entirely, knowing that a good chunk of people still prefer to buy physically and the publishers will lose those sales.

That was the reason a few years ago. I think we're getting closer and closer to the tipping point where the physical media is a small enough slice of the sales pie chart that publishers will just start telling the likes of GAME to like it or lump it soon. The next gen of consoles will probably kill GAME off for good.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #7944 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 01:56:46 PM »

If publishers make the digital versions cheaper, the likes of GAME lose out on a f*** load of sales. So the physical retailers threaten to stop selling the physical versions entirely, knowing that a good chunk of people still prefer to buy physically and the publishers will lose those sales.

That was the reason a few years ago. I think we're getting closer and closer to the tipping point where the physical media is a small enough slice of the sales pie chart that publishers will just start telling the likes of GAME to like it or lump it soon. The next gen of consoles will probably kill GAME off for good.

I think you're probably right.
Though the next consoles - if there are any further console - will need to be streaming only, and we know the problems buffering/poor coverage etc would cause.
I think it could be a while, though.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7945 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 02:15:09 PM »
I think you're probably right.
Though the next consoles - if there are any further console - will need to be streaming only, and we know the problems buffering/poor coverage etc would cause.
I think it could be a while, though.

Mate of mine has recently gotten into a streaming-box based system for his PC gaming. He's convinced this is going to be where the market splits for the PC community.

It's basically just a monthly subscription that gives you complete control of a fairly high end PC (that will be constantly upgraded to stay decent) that you can install whatever you fancy on (hooky copies included) that then streams it to your TV/PC/Laptop/ect.

In his opinion this will be where the casual players will end up going once it starts getting bigger, more options appear, connection technology gets better and all that stuff. There's obviously going to be the hardcore that still want complete control and keep building their own but this sounds a lot like a more console-ish, hassle-free experience that will appeal to many.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #7946 on: Sunday 6 January 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
Anyone recommend some top quality in-ear earphones for under £100? Been looking at the RHA t20s but unsure on making the plunge and forking out £95.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #7947 on: Tuesday 8 January 2019, 03:20:23 PM »
By any chance do any of you have any experience with a Tefal Actifry or a Morphy Richards soup maker?

firetotheworks

« Reply #7948 on: Tuesday 8 January 2019, 03:27:13 PM »
Anyone recommend some top quality in-ear earphones for under £100? Been looking at the RHA t20s but unsure on making the plunge and forking out £95.

I'm yet to come across any in-ear ones at any price that I think sound brilliant tbh, but I got these on Amazon after a recommendation on here and so far they're great for the price. Above £50 and I'd go over-ear personally.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6DC2ZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline hoppaz

• General Member
  • ¡ʎɯɹɐq uooâ”´
« Reply #7949 on: Tuesday 8 January 2019, 04:55:14 PM »

Late to the party but I have a pair of 1More Triple driver headphones that are excellent and well reviewed.