Author Topic: Comic Books/Movies/TV  (Read 137047 times)

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
Re: Comic Book/Comic Movies Thread
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 28 September 2010, 03:46:24 pm »
can't believe i'm saying this, also that i'm agreeing with Kenobi, but Whedon has to come up with something and he has to do it fast

i loved buffy, angel started well and fell apart, firefly was good but was never gonna be commercially big (same with serenity) - ALL of that, however, should essentially be wiped from the slate after watching dollhouse

a disgrace, i actually hated myself for a fair period of time for watching the 2nd series but i was sure he'd pull something out of the fire, yet alas it was more of the same s***

suppose what i'm saying (and probably Kenobi but he'll doubtless argue with me for the sake if it ;)) is that Whedon's star is fading and is almost out - on what basis has he been given the Avengers movie?  certainly not commercial or financial...more likely that he's the nerd's nerd making TV and movies nerds love

can't see another reason for it
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 28 September 2010, 03:57:34 pm »
Most likely he wanted the gig, went and pitched his best idea to the studio who also liked it, and had a CV that meant they could justify giving him the gig. It's not looking more complicated than that at the moment and that's how it usually happens. :thup:

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 28 September 2010, 04:05:02 pm »
Most likely he wanted the gig, went and pitched his best idea to the studio who also liked it, and had a CV that meant they could justify giving him the gig. It's not looking more complicated than that at the moment and that's how it usually happens. :thup:
When was the last time a Whedon project was financially successful out of interest?

Someone was chelping on Empire or somewhere about why the studios let Abrams do what he wants compared to Whedon...$$$$$$ being the answer.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 28 September 2010, 04:19:08 pm »
When was the last time a Whedon project was financially successful out of interest?

Someone was chelping on Empire or somewhere about why the studios let Abrams do what he wants compared to Whedon...$$$$$$ being the answer.

The only reason Whedon's got this is because he'll have pitched the best idea and plan to the studio, they'll not have gone and asked him themselves. Zak Penn had originally written the script, and Joss is only really "reworking" it. A $150m feature will not have room for much artistery by any writer/director as the studio will look to sell their toys and other items as well as see the movie recoup it's budget. You get a job description from the studio when you take the gig, and that's what you need to do or you'll get the sack/walk like what happened with Spider-Man 4.

In fact:
We asked him how they made the decision to hire Joss despite his having only directed one feature film (2005's "Serenity").

"I've known Joss for many years. We were looking for the right thing and he came in and met on it," ," Feige explained. "As you've already heard him say on his panels, he's incredibly intelligent, he's got great things to say about it, and if you look at the directors we've worked with, we hire directors who have the potential to do great things and we want our film to be that great thing."

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 28 September 2010, 04:23:50 pm »
suppose what i'm saying (and probably Kenobi but he'll doubtless argue with me for the sake if it ;))

Not really, confused why you think this. Think we've had one discussion, which I can't remember fully. Sure it was over something pointless though.

--

The Avengers Movie is possibly THE biggest Superhero Movie project to happen, it'll be the most scrutinised too. It has so much history, so many characters and anything less than perfect will result in a lot of angry internet nerds (myself included). I'll admit that Whedon has balls to put himself forward for it. There's already something I don't like about it, and that's Norton isn't set to reprise his role as Banner. So I'm expecting very little Hulk, and the Hulk we do see to be CGI.

Offline AfroP

• General Member
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 29 September 2010, 02:00:46 pm »
I have my doubts about the avengers movie for several reasons.
I'm not a fan of joss whedon, yeah he did buffy and firefly etc but I never thought they were all that good, the best thing of his i've seen was Dr horrible and that was only good because of Neil Patrick Harris. his run on astonishing xmen was ok and for a time was one of teh best X-books about but it tailed off towards the end and I lost interest.
Its a fairly big ensemble cast and i'm not sure whedon has what it takes to get the most out of the actors. one of teh things that made iron man good, was favreu's ability to get the most out of some big name actors and in particular RDJ.

I hate the fact that they have cast Chris evans as captain america, he is not a strong actor, he doesn't come across as having a commanding presence on screen and thats part of what makes captain america who he is, he's a strong leader and a symbol of american patriotism.

getting in yet another actor to play the Hulk is another mistake, especially after the general feeling was that norton did a good job.

should be interesting to see though, and as with any comic to film I look forward to being proven wrong

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 13 October 2010, 08:03:46 pm »
Batman 3 News:

Tom Hardy has been casted, but no one knows who he'll be.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 03:04:06 am »
DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE: Chris Nolan is lining up actresses he'll meet for two female lead roles in The Dark Knight Rises, the third installment of the Batfranchise which Warner Bros has dated release on July 20, 2012. I'm told one of the roles is a love interest for Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne, and the other is a villain. The actresses are: Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Blake Lively, Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway and Keira Knightley. Nolan is keeping the roles under wraps, just the way that he did when he drafted his Inception star Tom Hardy to come aboard to likely play a villain. Deadline broke that story October 13.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #58 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 03:06:09 am »
It'll be Lively/Watts as the love interest, and Hathaway as Poison Ivy.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 03:07:24 am »
Power read a few more issues of Walking Dead. Didn't feel like a waste of time.

Offline Spider Jerusalem

• General Member
« Reply #60 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 11:52:47 am »
DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE: Chris Nolan is lining up actresses he'll meet for two female lead roles in The Dark Knight Rises, the third installment of the Batfranchise which Warner Bros has dated release on July 20, 2012. I'm told one of the roles is a love interest for Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne, and the other is a villain. The actresses are: Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Blake Lively, Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway and Keira Knightley. Nolan is keeping the roles under wraps, just the way that he did when he drafted his Inception star Tom Hardy to come aboard to likely play a villain. Deadline broke that story October 13.

That's a good  :fwap: list.  Can see Anne Hathaway / Naomi Watts being the most likely cast though as the rest have all been cast in big name sci-fi / fantasy genre films in the past.  Never heard of Blake Liveley before, but would say that she's the least likely, being in the next big DC release as Carol Ferris in Green Lantern according to imdb.

Personally I'd cast Rachel Weisz.  Ding dong.
I Hate It Here.  That's Why I Keep Coming Back.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #61 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 11:56:21 am »
surely Hathaway and most of the others there would be coming to replace the Rachel character as a stereotype love interest? 

don't see them going for a young lass in any type of villain role tbh

poison ivy could make the cut as a character though, easy one to bring into the 'universe' he's created, she kills people with poison!

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #62 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 01:05:29 pm »
You put Hathaway in some clown makeup and that Harley Quinn suit, and you have a f***ing movie. All of those women aside from Portman and Lively are too talented to play love interests, imo.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #63 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 06:01:16 pm »
You put Hathaway in some clown makeup and that Harley Quinn suit, and you have a f***ing movie. All of those women aside from Portman and Lively are too talented to play love interests, imo.
are you alright in the head?

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 06:32:52 pm »
:lol: I suppose it's an opinion thing, but..I've never really seen her as a very talented actress.

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Friday 12 November 2010, 08:49:24 pm »
Oh Christ, if Naomi Watts is in it, my heart/balls will ache.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #66 on: Friday 19 November 2010, 08:56:43 am »

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Friday 19 November 2010, 08:57:34 am »
posted in the other thread, that looks gash

Sleep now in the fire

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #68 on: Friday 19 November 2010, 08:59:33 am »
What other thread?  :doh:

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Friday 19 November 2010, 09:04:43 am »
What other thread?  :doh:

:lol: the wrong one, films you're looking forward to

soon as i hit post i remembered this thread but couldn't be arsed to go back and change it...mong'd it right up

Sleep now in the fire

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #70 on: Friday 19 November 2010, 09:14:23 am »
Nah, thought I had started a thread that had already been started (again)! Not sure I'm going to be able to buy into Ryan Reynolds being three different superheroes.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #71 on: Friday 19 November 2010, 09:16:28 am »
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29527

so we've got:

new batman
new spiderman
new superman
green lantern
thor
captain america

all coming up in the next couple of years, getting a bit too much for me all this...pop will eat itself

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #72 on: Friday 19 November 2010, 09:17:04 am »
Nah, thought I had started a thread that had already been started (again)! Not sure I'm going to be able to buy into Ryan Reynolds being three different superheroes.
3?  deadpool, gl and...?

Sleep now in the fire

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #73 on: Friday 19 November 2010, 09:41:02 am »
Well, third is a distant shout, Hannibal King in Blade.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Friday 19 November 2010, 09:43:30 am »
Well, third is a distant shout, Hannibal King in Blade.
ah yeah, which he was f***ing awesome in like

Sleep now in the fire