Author Topic: Comic Books/Movies/TV  (Read 137048 times)

Offline Clay

• General Member
Re: Comic Book/Comic Movies Thread
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:24:02 pm »
:lol: What the hell is going on in here?

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:25:19 pm »
Sorry Kaiz.  :okay:
« Last Edit: Monday 7 May 2012, 07:48:15 pm by OCK »

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:26:04 pm »
I don't champion Joss Whedon. Joss Whedon have done utter tripe, as I've acknowledged earlier in this thead. (Dollhouse, Alien: Ressurection). I enjoy his writing, as does anyone who knows anything about screenwriting. It's sharp, it's smart, and the dialogue flows very well. He's not one of the best out there, not anywhere near. I could probably list over thirty other people I put above him. What annoys me is when people try to pass personal opinion as fact, it's always annoyed me. You can check the pet hates thread for reference a ton of times, also the film you've recently watched thread. I appreciate good work, even if I personally enjoy it or not. And I f***ing can't stand when people try to say something is s*** just because they're not fond of it, when if you look at the basis of everything said person have done and his achievments, it's personal opionion being passed off as fact. It's like trying to argue that Star Wars is absolute s*** because it takes place in outer space, or that Lord of the Rings is utter s*** because there's dwarves in it and you really, really[/i], don't like dwarves.

You all know just how much I hate Glee, I absolutely despise that show. But that doesn't change the fact that the show deep down is a smart, well written, show that takes advantage of what the market at current wants. The same goes for the show "The Vampire Diaries". I really, really, can't stand that show. But I still acknowledge that it's done in a way that appeales to it's audience, and have a very talented showrunner in Kevin Williamson behind it.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:26:45 pm »

Obi is missing my point entirely and tries to ride it off by calling me an Internet geek instead of arguing his point, mainly because he doesn't have one. He just likes calling people Internet geeks.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:28:03 pm »
« Last Edit: Monday 7 May 2012, 07:48:23 pm by OCK »

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:28:44 pm »
I only used that when you said writing pop culture was easy, man. It's not. It's really, really, not. :lol:

If I've said anything else that could've been taken in the way of me saying "I know this better than you", it's really not been my intention whatsoever and most likely caused by something lost in translation on my part.

Offline Noisewater

• General Member
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:31:55 pm »

Obi is missing my point entirely and tries to ride it off by calling me an Internet geek instead of arguing his point, mainly because he doesn't have one. He just likes calling people Internet geeks.

This. A reasoned discussion versus name calling.

Offline Noisewater

• General Member
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:34:18 pm »
Back on topic (comics not Whedon), got to say I'm looking forward to the new Green Lantern movie.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:35:20 pm »
« Last Edit: Monday 7 May 2012, 07:48:05 pm by OCK »

Offline Weezertron

• General Member
  • I always wanted to be a Tenenbaum. NE12.
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:39:25 pm »
Well I never expected this in a comic book related thread.......

Offline Clay

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:40:47 pm »

It's great, can't beat a good nerd fight :lol:

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:44:37 pm »
My entire argument have been to make you understand personal opinion is not fact. You've been arguing that Joss Whedon is the Internet's champion and that you don't like his type of show. I've been arguing that his shows from a writer's viewpoint are actually very good, and were even used as examples of how to write dialogue well during my time at college. My main issue have been being called an Internet geek because I jumped to Whedon's defence. I mean, sure, I'm well versed on what's "hot" on the Internet most of the time as I spend a lot of time in front of a computer screen avoiding actual work working. But the fact that I do enjoy Whedon's shows and writing shouldn't make me one, as due to my Internet "geekdom" I know he's not a hot onion online these days. Whedonverse is practically dead, and most of today's tween target audience aren't really that aware of Whedon.

I tried to argue that because you didn't like it didn't mean it was "bad", and that you should just say that you didn't like him for these reasons and not try to make the point that the "Internet" loves him and that's why he's still in a job. In your eyes the Whedonverse is not good entertainment, and it's most likely shared by a fair few others, which is more than fair enough. But as mentioned, my biggest pet hate is when people try to pass their personal taste off as fact for the majority. I accept wholeheartedly that you don't like Whedon, I can even understand why he's not appeling to you through what you've said. But it's not the point, my point is that you've been trying to undermine his work and the people that do like it by saying they're "Internet geeks that champion him". Everybody have fans online. Everybody. Why is that a point worth making? Why not just say you don't like his work? Why try to ridicule anyone that do like him? That's my beef. That's what I've been trying to argue against. But it keeps seeming like we're missing eachothers points, or that you're just missing mine on purpose. Not to mention that you keep headlining your points by continually proclaiming you've made the Internet angry and needing a firewall. It really does not help your point at all.

Offline Weezertron

• General Member
  • I always wanted to be a Tenenbaum. NE12.
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:47:35 pm »

Atleast they're not arguing over whether Lois Lane could have Superman's baby.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:48:01 pm »
Also, I've not instantly disregarded anything you've said about your view on the shows as "wrong". I've said everyone's entitled to their own personal opinion. My main issue have, and is, the fact you try to argue your view by saying he's the "champion of the Internet".

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #39 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:49:27 pm »
« Last Edit: Monday 7 May 2012, 07:47:55 pm by OCK »

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #40 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:50:33 pm »

Atleast they're not arguing over whether Lois Lane could have Superman's baby.

Human Sperm is ejaculated at like a 70mph. Superman's Sperm? Holy s***.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:52:36 pm »
My entire argument have been to make you understand personal opinion is not fact. You've been arguing that Joss Whedon is the Internet's champion and that you don't like his type of show. I've been arguing that his shows from a writer's viewpoint are actually very good, and were even used as examples of how to write dialogue well during my time at college. My main issue have been being called an Internet geek because I jumped to Whedon's defence. I mean, sure, I'm well versed on what's "hot" on the Internet most of the time as I spend a lot of time in front of a computer screen avoiding actual work working. But the fact that I do enjoy Whedon's shows and writing shouldn't make me one, as due to my Internet "geekdom" I know he's not a hot onion online these days. Whedonverse is practically dead, and most of today's tween target audience aren't really that aware of Whedon.

I tried to argue that because you didn't like it didn't mean it was "bad", and that you should just say that you didn't like him for these reasons and not try to make the point that the "Internet" loves him and that's why he's still in a job. In your eyes the Whedonverse is not good entertainment, and it's most likely shared by a fair few others, which is more than fair enough. But as mentioned, my biggest pet hate is when people try to pass their personal taste off as fact for the majority. I accept wholeheartedly that you don't like Whedon, I can even understand why he's not appeling to you through what you've said. But it's not the point, my point is that you've been trying to undermine his work and the people that do like it by saying they're "Internet geeks that champion him". Everybody have fans online. Everybody. Why is that a point worth making? Why not just say you don't like his work? Why try to ridicule anyone that do like him? That's my beef. That's what I've been trying to argue against. But it keeps seeming like we're missing eachothers points, or that you're just missing mine on purpose. Not to mention that you keep headlining your points by continually proclaiming you've made the Internet angry and needing a firewall. It really does not help your point at all.

You've done that twice now.

You say I'm giving opinion as fact, but then in turn do it yourself.

The difference here is that it's about what my main argument is about, you saying he is the "champion of the Internet". Which he is not. This is a cold, hard, fact from an "Internet geek". Your own personal opinion against his show and writing style is fair game, as for everybody else. But you're (as I've read it) trying to say people rate his work because he is the Internet's champion, and not because other people find it good. Hence saying your view on his work is the truth and that everybody else is just an "Internet geek".

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #42 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:53:57 pm »
« Last Edit: Monday 7 May 2012, 07:47:39 pm by OCK »

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:54:37 pm »
No, my point was, if you say anything bad about Joss Whedon on an internet forum, you'll usually get flamed to high heaven within minutes. Which sort of happened in this thread.

You can say as much bad about him as you like on my part. Just don't say people that enjoy his work are "Internet geeks" in a way that makes it seem that anyone that likes what he does is one. :lol:

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:55:46 pm »
I've not really defended him as much as saying you shouldn't try to say your opinion is right and everyone else is an Internet geek.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #45 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:55:53 pm »
« Last Edit: Monday 7 May 2012, 07:47:31 pm by OCK »

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 02:57:46 pm »
No, what's angered me is that you (as it read to me) based your argument for not liking his work on proclaiming people that did like him were "Internet geeks" defending the "Champion of the Internet" instead of acknowledging that people have different taste. I just can't stand when people dismiss anything they don't like as s*** and don't acknowledge where other people may enjoy it just because they don't enjoy something themselves. :lol:

I respect your opinion, you can dislike Joss Whedon as much as you like. Just as I can dislike Glee as much as I like. It's freedom of speech. Just allow other people the same freedom of speech and avoid saying someone/thing is s*** and that everybody thinking something else is wrong (or in this case an Internet geek) as your initial point read to me. That's been my main issue the entire time, and admittedly the fact it's you that's done it makes my reaction worse as the reason I find you one of my fav posters is the fact that you tend to be able to discuss things in a way that respects both sides of an argument and thus is an interesting person to discuss things with.  :razz: I'll happily admit I'm an Internet geek, it kinds comes naturally to a person like me. I just was not fond of the generalization of people who like Whedon as Internet geeks in a way that seemed like you saying it devalued their opinion on the matter compared to yours. Hopefully I've misunderstood you from the beginning and we can continue on our merry way and start discussing Ant Man.  :thup:
« Last Edit: Sunday 26 September 2010, 03:25:35 pm by Kaizero »

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #47 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 06:42:05 pm »
We're all internet geeks!

Not sure Ant-Man deserves it's own movie. I know Pym is an important part of the Avenger's world, but I'm sure his back story can be summed up in a 10 minute vignette within the Avenger's movie itself. I suspect that Ant-Man will be a 'light hearted' Superhero movie, based on the subject matter, and two of the names attached as director and writer.

Offline AfroP

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 10:13:05 pm »
Ryan Reynolds is the green lantern in the upcoming movie. should hopefully be quite good as it has sinestro in it as well.
he's also rumoured to be playing deadpool in a full movie, hopefully they do him better in his own film than they did in wolverine.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • #votekaka2018
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 11:21:20 pm »
Ryan Reynolds should have just played The Flash and called it a day. I do like him from back in the Two Guys and a Girl days, and with The Flash being my favoured hero I reckon he would have been perfect for Wally West, in that cheeky charming way.

Also on a related note -
Eric from True Blood should have been cast as Thor.

man i used to love that show.