Author Topic: The little things in life...  (Read 658500 times)

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Year of the Sleestak
Re: The little things in life...
« Reply #14800 on: Friday 5 February 2021, 02:59:32 PM »
I appreciate that first bit, as much as I love the style and the movement, it also pains me to see buildings representative of a time gone by pulled down without good reason. There's something grotesque, inhumane and monstrous about it. As if they are worth nothing but the material they're constructed with.

What fascinates me with Brutalism and other strands of Modernism aside from the design qualities and traits, is that they oftentimes represented what was once a brave vision of a better living. Of cities planned properly to create a more seamless inner-city experience, a three-dimensional environment where pedestrians and traffic could be separated. Where the historical cores that give identity to a place can be preserved and this vertical thinking can be bolted in, around and above the ground level infrastructure. Spaces would be opened up to make commuting and moving around the city a more pleasant, less constricted and anxiety-inducing experience. All of which is now what seems like a discarded, dismissed and ultimately demolished future; as now it's Brutalism's turn, just as it was the Georgian style, the Edwardian style, to be ripped down grotesquely without any care or thought.

And thank you for the kind words, in a way it means even more that you're not actually an architecture perv like those who usually engage with my work online are. I guess it shows there's maybe a further quality to what I try to do rather than just being the sum of the parts included.

Much appreciated  :) (you need not reply to this, I realise I've droned on about some s*** that's probably dull as f*** to most  :lol:)

We had this one (a theater) ripped down not too long ago.

Lasted less than 50 years. I realize it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it wasn't planned and built without some serious thought going into it. Seemed a shame to just demolish it wholesale.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Year of the Sleestak
« Reply #14801 on: Friday 5 February 2021, 03:08:15 PM »
I spoke too soon ^

It's happening  :)

:thup: Congratulations!

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #14802 on: Friday 5 February 2021, 03:33:08 PM »

Lasted less than 50 years. I realize it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it wasn't planned and built without some serious thought going into it. Seemed a shame to just demolish it wholesale.

I agree, pretty heavy handed to just tear it down presumably without thought. I bet some architect or firm would have loved to develop it further/modernise it. Mechanic Theatre right? I really like the way it contrasted with that black/charcoal coloured blocky office-looking building behind.

I think there's some visual similarities between it and Vienna's Wotruba Church.

Note the the delicate fragility of the glass contrasted with the heavy, uncompromising concrete blocks, something particularly apparent and impressive when you stand in front of it. Could have looked at something like that for inspiration. But no, just pull it down and no doubt build some generic, characterless s*** in its place. Architects generally have a lot to answer for these days. Terrible! You see these awful plastic facade high rises and apartment blocks springing up all around Newcastle these days. They make me sick  :lol:
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #14803 on: Friday 5 February 2021, 03:52:14 PM »

I agree, pretty heavy handed to just tear it down presumably without thought. I bet some architect or firm would have loved to develop it further/modernise it. Mechanic Theatre right? I really like the way it contrasted with that black/charcoal coloured blocky office-looking building behind.

I think there's some visual similarities between it and Vienna's Wotruba Church.

Note the the delicate fragility of the glass contrasted with the heavy, uncompromising concrete blocks, something particularly apparent and impressive when you stand in front of it. Could have looked at something like that for inspiration. But no, just pull it down and no doubt build some generic, characterless s*** in its place. Architects generally have a lot to answer for these days. Terrible! You see these awful plastic facade high rises and apartment blocks springing up all around Newcastle these days. They make me sick  :lol:

Got to be honest that looks like a highly inefficient use of materials. Strip the insides out so you can see straight through it, or just have one single plate of glass to give the illusion of an aperture and it would look quite stunning, in it's open setting. You could maybe convert the little opening, to the right, to be the actual entrance.

If it was a library I could appreciate the design but as a church it's a monstrosity. Although maybe it represents the clumsy foundations upon which religion is built.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #14804 on: Friday 5 February 2021, 04:16:47 PM »
I think that's a fair comment regarding the potential there for opening it up and having light move through the inside of the structure. I read somewhere that cathedrals and churches should be the optimum balance between light and structure, and it could be fairly argued that this is a little on the dense side.

Monstrosity is very strong mind, in my opinion :lol: It's beautiful! If you find yourself in Vienna when we're not on house arrest, you should go there and walk around it. Photos of it are good and all, but are ultimately unsuccessful reductionism.

You could take Joelinton with you back to Rapid Wien.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Year of the Sleestak
« Reply #14805 on: Friday 5 February 2021, 04:47:22 PM »

Yeah. Unfortunately it's still basically this after about five years:

Never seen that before. I like it.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #14806 on: Friday 5 February 2021, 05:58:16 PM »
I think that's a fair comment regarding the potential there for opening it up and having light move through the inside of the structure. I read somewhere that cathedrals and churches should be the optimum balance between light and structure, and it could be fairly argued that this is a little on the dense side.

Monstrosity is very strong mind, in my opinion :lol: It's beautiful! If you find yourself in Vienna when we're not on house arrest, you should go there and walk around it. Photos of it are good and all, but are ultimately unsuccessful reductionism.

You could take Joelinton with you back to Rapid Wien.

Monstrosity might be a bit brutal, tbf.

Offline Doc

• General Member
« Reply #14807 on: Friday 5 February 2021, 07:14:19 PM »
You're quite right. What I would say in defence of the Swan House area, is that I believe something to do with T. Dan Smith's accusations of bribery and corruption around the time meant that none of it got finished. Hence the walkways that just cut off bizarrely in mid-air.

That said, yes, they're not the best examples of the style, far from it. The Dorman Long Tower and Peterlee Pavilion, however, are fantastic local examples (although the latter is more an art piece/sculpture).

I live about 200 yards away from"The Pav" in Peterlee and it's been controversial from the start, councilors campaigning to pull it down and such.

I quite like it even though it's just a thing that i walk past most days. (I think things on your doorstep always fall into this category).

An artist,not sure of his name wrapped it up in orange inflatables a couple of years ago and it looked great/surreal but it was £415,000 for the last refurb.

As an aside, a friend of mine has a (vinyl only) record shop in Commercial house on Pilgrim St. with a mural of it on the wall. :) 

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #14808 on: Saturday 6 February 2021, 12:01:44 AM »
I went to photograph it in the good light a few times during last summer in between the two lockdowns, speaking to locals living on the estate I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of people who seemed to either not mind it, quite like it or actually were proud to have it nearby. There was plenty of kids playing on it too, scooters, looking for life in the water (good luck with that I thought, it's f***ing filthy). I reckon Pasmore (the artist who designed pretty much all of the New Town architecture in Peterlee) would be fairly pleased with how it's held up for the most part though, despite the general uncleanliness.

I spoke to a member of the council afterwards about the potential for getting the water at least cleared out as it was full of cones, cans and just generally disgustingly murky meaning the reflection of the Pavilion has all but disappeared. A shame as I enjoy that heavy/light juxtaposition and I think the reflection in the water is a real feature and makes it still more impressive. They responded in length to be fair, and the guy seemed to get the love for it... but the answer was essentially no.

I remember the orange thing aye, it looked really great and perhaps made people appreciate it or look at it in a different light, but of course I prefer it as it is  :)

That place on Pilgrim Street I've never been, but a colleague at work knows the bloke that runs it I think as I was looking to sell a load of Radiohead vinyl a few year back and was told he may have been interested. Never got round to it though. I'll have to pop in when we're allowed out again, drop him Kid A and just stare at the mural.  :)

Here's a shot I got of it during one of the visits that I thought captured how it really can come to life on a sunny day.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #14809 on: Sunday 7 February 2021, 12:41:44 AM »
Fish Fingers.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Kill Your Masters
« Reply #14810 on: Sunday 7 February 2021, 12:46:32 AM »
Geet up Madras lad.
We sit here stranded, though we're all doing our best to deny it

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #14811 on: Sunday 7 February 2021, 01:16:47 AM »
Geet up Madras lad.
Now hey, that's Fish Fingers, not Fishy Fingers.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #14812 on: Sunday 28 February 2021, 07:41:41 PM »
Was at the market earlier and grabbed a small piece of cheese, $4, aged English cheddar, full of crystals. Just ate a couple of slices off it. f***, man.  :drool: