Author Topic: NHL 2017-18 - F*ck off, B-More.  (Read 72532 times)

Offline MKSC

• General Member
  • Let's go Vikes!! SKOL!!
Re: NHL 2010/2011 - Pre-season matches start 21st September
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 6 October 2010, 08:27:39 pm »
I started supporting the Twins in 1990 when I got into Baseball. They won the world series in 87 so they were decent but they won it again in 91 so I was really hooked. From there on I started to follow the Vikings as I watched NFL with my Dad on Sunday nights. When I got into Ice Hockey last year I naturally decided to follow the Wild, despite their utter shitness. It's a shame they are so bad as the state is hockey mad. The Dallas Stars were the Minnesota North Stars until 1993 and reached two Stanley Cup finals, the Wild were only founded in 2000 but have managed three playoff appearances since then. I'm not a big NBA fan but out of loyalty I will follow the T-Wolves.

I also like everything I read about the state of MN and the twin cities. I have never been but it looks beautiful and I will visit it one day.

Offline QBG

• General Member
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 6 October 2010, 08:37:32 pm »
I started supporting the Twins in 1990 when I got into Baseball. They won the world series in 87 so they were decent but they won it again in 91 so I was really hooked. From there on I started to follow the Vikings as I watched NFL with my Dad on Sunday nights. When I got into Ice Hockey last year I naturally decided to follow the Wild, despite their utter shitness. It's a shame they are so bad as the state is hockey mad. The Dallas Stars were the Minnesota North Stars until 1993 and reached two Stanley Cup finals, the Wild were only founded in 2000 but have managed three playoff appearances since then. I'm not a big NBA fan but out of loyalty I will follow the T-Wolves.

I also like everything I read about the state of MN and the twin cities. I have never been but it looks beautiful and I will visit it one day.

Awesome, I love reading about how people got to following American sports teams. I think I remember reading that the Stars used to be the North Stars as I'm a bit too young to remember that.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 7 October 2010, 08:05:03 am »
The NHL needs more teams in northern USA and Canada, rather then teams playing in empty stadiums in the southern states.

Edit

I've been reading about a further possible expansion, they are talking about the idea of having a team in Quebec again, I think that would be a great idea.  Another French Canadien would be an asset to the league.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 7 October 2010, 08:59:25 am »
Aye, would be good to have em back.  Also rumours about a franchise in Hamilton.

Offline eggybread

• General Member
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 7 October 2010, 12:00:06 pm »
Hawks fan,

worried we've lost our toughness abit with Ladd/Buff/Eager not a team that often drops the gloves anyway like but had all round team toughness when needed, can see Kane being targeted with a few cheap shots against the likes of the blues/canucks, brouwer/seabrook will drop the gloves but dont really want our top line defensemen taking 5 minutes on a regular basis

he's had a poor pre-season but have a strange feeling stalberg could be a bit of a star with his speed

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 7 October 2010, 01:12:04 pm »

Wow. I had no idea you were a Twins fan for so long. Outstanding. :thup:

Offline MKSC

• General Member
  • Let's go Vikes!! SKOL!!
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 7 October 2010, 06:25:26 pm »
Wow, first live match of the season and the Wild are on. I've missed the first period as I've just got in from work, I've had to record the rest though as we are still in 'Night Garden' time. I'll watch it later. Won't bother watching last nights Twins match that I recorded so I have some spare time.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #32 on: Friday 8 October 2010, 07:36:23 am »
3-2 to the leafs, get in!!!

Good start.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 9 October 2010, 02:59:51 pm »
Just watched it, weird, well NHL.com only had the video of him being attended to and not the incident.

andyc90

« Reply #34 on: Saturday 9 October 2010, 03:31:42 pm »
Warriors will always be around they have a pretty strong support and the tickets are cheaper, and you actually get to see a team win things! Just never took to the Vipers.

Still do when it doesn't clash with other things. Sharing the Ice with the Newcastle Vipers now, which is strange, not sure how Whitley Bay Ice Rink is going to hold out with all that action. Hopefully the Vipers put some extra money towards Ice Management.

The vipers play at Whitley Bay? That's a bit of a step down like. Do you know how long that's been happening and why?

I used to watch the Warriors like as my uncle always got free tickets. I started training to play Ice Hockey there when I was younger (inspired by The Mighty Ducks). Was fun. Wonder if they still have that little tuck shop.

Actually, it was a really kind gesture from Whitley Bay Ice Rink. Newcastle Arena pretty much had the Vipers bottom of the rung when it came at assigning time to use the Arena, so Vipers were finding it really hard to get practices and matches into the schedule. So Whitley Bay offered them a life line last year, where the Vipers finished their last few games of the season.

I can see where Newcastle Arena were coming from, but it was still a shitty thing to do, and it seems that there was very little negotiation/communication between the two about what was going to happen for this season. So Vipers decided to go with Whitley Bay. It might seem a step down, but the smaller environment of Whitley Bay is great for Ice Hockey games, and Vipers never really had great attendances at the Arena (one of the reasons they were so low on the ladder of who could use it when).
Warriors will always be around they have a pretty strong support and the tickets are cheaper, and you actually get to see a team win things! Just never took to the Vipers.

Still do when it doesn't clash with other things. Sharing the Ice with the Newcastle Vipers now, which is strange, not sure how Whitley Bay Ice Rink is going to hold out with all that action. Hopefully the Vipers put some extra money towards Ice Management.

The vipers play at Whitley Bay? That's a bit of a step down like. Do you know how long that's been happening and why?

I used to watch the Warriors like as my uncle always got free tickets. I started training to play Ice Hockey there when I was younger (inspired by The Mighty Ducks). Was fun. Wonder if they still have that little tuck shop.

Actually, it was a really kind gesture from Whitley Bay Ice Rink. Newcastle Arena pretty much had the Vipers bottom of the rung when it came at assigning time to use the Arena, so Vipers were finding it really hard to get practices and matches into the schedule. So Whitley Bay offered them a life line last year, where the Vipers finished their last few games of the season.

I can see where Newcastle Arena were coming from, but it was still a shitty thing to do, and it seems that there was very little negotiation/communication between the two about what was going to happen for this season. So Vipers decided to go with Whitley Bay. It might seem a step down, but the smaller environment of Whitley Bay is great for Ice Hockey games, and Vipers never really had great attendances at the Arena (one of the reasons they were so low on the ladder of who could use it when).

Plus the fact Newcastle Arena were wanting about 10 grand a night to play there, no chance the Vipers could afford that!

Tbh, I don't mind Whitley Bay, cheaper drink and food and a better atmosphere but Ice Hockey will just never take off in Newcastle it's as simple as that.

As for NHL teams, mine never does that well.... Florida Panthers!  :doh:

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #35 on: Saturday 9 October 2010, 05:11:32 pm »
I'm surprised any other sport survives in Newcastle. The Rugby team took a long time to get going, and despite winning nearly every season the Basketball team doesn't really draw the numbers. I love the Ice Hockey though, its one of the better, cheaper, nights out.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 12 October 2010, 07:53:48 am »

i watched a bit if that game last night, i missed the end but in one of the period breaks it was showing Kopka widning up the Rangers players.

Avery is a bellend tho.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 12 October 2010, 07:54:16 am »
I see the Leafs humped Ottowa as well.

Go leafs!

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 13 October 2010, 08:55:54 am »

New York Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski has been suspended for two games and will forfeit $79,268.30 in salary for directing an inappropriate gesture toward New York Rangers forward Sean Avery during Monday's game at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The incident occurred during a stoppage of play in the first period.

Wisniewski, who was suspended for eight games for his hit on Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook on March 17, 2010, is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Accordingly, he forfeits his salary based on the number of games in the season (82), rather than the number of days (186). The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Wisniewski will miss the Islanders’ next two games -- Wednesday at Washington and Friday at Pittsburgh. He is eligible to return Oct. 16 against Colorado.

"A lot of actions on the ice are regrettable," Wisniewski said. "I've been given a suspension from the League and I'm going to accept it and move on from here."

Wisniewski will be replaced in the lineup by either Jack Hillen or Bruno Gervais. Both were healthy scratches for the Isles' first two games.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 13 October 2010, 12:53:49 pm »
NJ Devils are screwed they could only give ice time to 15 players.

Their salary cap is maxed out,

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 13 October 2010, 01:04:31 pm »
Who does Mike follow? Sabres? ?

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 13 October 2010, 01:44:30 pm »
Mike is a NY Rangers slag.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 13 October 2010, 02:10:06 pm »
Missing 2 games isn't the end of the world, when you play a billion a year.

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 13 October 2010, 02:49:00 pm »
R
  A
    N
      G
        E
          R
            S

Bollocks, So am I...

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 14 October 2010, 07:55:32 am »
Toronto beat Penguins away, that's strong of them really  :thup:
Nice one!

I watched the end of the first period this morning.  Got it on record, thats 3 wins in a row now, brilliant start.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 14 October 2010, 08:33:48 am »
Fcking hell Sundin and Forsberg look mega young, that must be from abiut 1991-2 ish is it?

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #46 on: Thursday 14 October 2010, 09:15:33 am »
Imagine its hard to find NHL/Baseball cards in the UK. They tried football cards and they never really took off.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 14 October 2010, 09:20:37 am »
did you collect those cards Gimp?

I still have a bunch of them at my fathers house  :snod:

Do you know what it is Matttis, i actually do have some, somewhere in the house and i looked for them a few months back.  I have some cracking cards. I have about 20 of them, i hope wor lass hasn't chucked them or she is in for a gimp smack down on her return.

Offline Slim

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 14 October 2010, 02:44:24 pm »
Devils first win...About time!

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 14 October 2010, 03:10:32 pm »
Devils first win...About time!

And you are up s*** creek with your roster.