Author Topic: Recommend a laptop  (Read 62515 times)

Offline Rafalove

• General Member
  • Was summerof69
Re: Recommend a laptop
« Reply #575 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 12:52:18 PM »
Best place in Newcastle/ north east to buy a lap top? Pc world would be the best wouldn’t it?

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #576 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 01:00:16 PM »
Best place would be to find something online.  PC World would probably be the worst place.

Offline Rafalove

• General Member
  • Was summerof69
« Reply #577 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 01:03:55 PM »
Gone sour ordering stuff online tbh. Ordered  a few things over  lockdown and they haven’t turned up.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #578 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 01:38:28 PM »
Gone sour ordering stuff online tbh. Ordered  a few things over  lockdown and they haven’t turned up.

Where have you been ordering them from?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #579 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 01:39:15 PM »
Best place would be to find something online.  PC World would probably be the worst place.

They are better nowadays but they don't stock anywhere near enough variety though.

Offline Rafalove

• General Member
  • Was summerof69
« Reply #580 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
Bought some of them blue light protecting glasses a while back they haven’t come. Any other decent computer shops?

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #581 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 02:14:02 PM »
Are you getting those speeds when you're in your office? If so, I'd probably make do....

If you wanna go mesh, there are several good options, and they're all pretty straightforward to install.
@SEMTEX What would you go with?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #582 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 02:17:59 PM »
Bought some of them blue light protecting glasses a while back they haven’t come. Any other decent computer shops?

I bought my laptop from scan in the UK and it was delivered in 6 days to Spain.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #583 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 02:18:03 PM »
I have personal experience with only Google Wifi, but it was pretty painless.

I personally use Ubiuiti WAPs at home and they've been great, but I don't use their mesh routers, am wired.

But reading up, if I was to buy one now I'd probably go Eero. But you're signing your life away to Amazon.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #584 on: Tuesday 11 August 2020, 02:20:18 PM »

Offline Ryan

• General Member
  • Long live BeoutQ
« Reply #585 on: Tuesday 17 November 2020, 08:34:06 PM »
Looking for a laptop online for my parents. It's primary use would be for internet browsing and general office work (MS word, powerpoint etc..), would 4gb ram be sufficient? Ideally, I'd recommend they went with 8gb ram just to future proof them (as they'll no doubt keep it for 5+ years) but budget is £400-£450 and I'm struggling to find anything.

Does anyone with a greater knowledge of laptops than me think there might be reductions around this price range come black Friday?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #586 on: Tuesday 17 November 2020, 08:42:18 PM »
Looking for a laptop online for my parents. It's primary use would be for internet browsing and general office work (MS word, powerpoint etc..), would 4gb ram be sufficient? Ideally, I'd recommend they went with 8gb ram just to future proof them (as they'll no doubt keep it for 5+ years) but budget is £400-£450 and I'm struggling to find anything.

Does anyone with a greater knowledge of laptops than me think there might be reductions around this price range come black Friday?

Most laptops I'm seeing in that price point are 8GB?

Offline Ryan

• General Member
  • Long live BeoutQ
« Reply #587 on: Tuesday 17 November 2020, 09:24:05 PM »

Where from? I've looked on ebuyer, Box and scan and they all seem to be priced £550+

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #588 on: Tuesday 17 November 2020, 09:24:19 PM »
Surprised they sell anything with less than 8GB now, RAM is dirt cheap.

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
  • Kent
« Reply #589 on: Tuesday 17 November 2020, 09:27:24 PM »

Where from? I've looked on ebuyer, Box and scan and they all seem to be priced £550+
Try Currys. I tried to link to the search results but it didn't work. Set the filters for laptops to Memory = 8GB and Price = £299-499 and there's loads to choose from. 
Edit: For loads, read a few. :lol: There are plenty for an extra £50 though.

Online Thorpinho

• General Member
« Reply #590 on: Wednesday 18 November 2020, 07:27:17 AM »
Looking for some advice on new laptop or device. Budget probably 800 max. Use it for the usual work office apps like word, pdfs, shopping, email, video calls etc. So nothing that elaborate, but what i need is really quick start up and apps to load rapidly. Am i right in saying that i therefore need high processor (i5, 7 or ryzen 7?). Is that right or is that irrelevant as that is what seems to drive price up. Research suggests that windows laptops not quick to start up etc. I looked at 2 in 1s but reviews but seemed fairly negative. Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #591 on: Wednesday 18 November 2020, 11:28:41 AM »
Looking for some advice on new laptop or device. Budget probably 800 max. Use it for the usual work office apps like word, pdfs, shopping, email, video calls etc. So nothing that elaborate, but what i need is really quick start up and apps to load rapidly. Am i right in saying that i therefore need high processor (i5, 7 or ryzen 7?). Is that right or is that irrelevant as that is what seems to drive price up. Research suggests that windows laptops not quick to start up etc. I looked at 2 in 1s but reviews but seemed fairly negative. Any thoughts appreciated.

i5 or Ryzen 5 would be absolutely fine for that unless you're doing anything that really needs those extra cores in the 7s.

Just need to look for one with a decent NVME M.2 drive for starting up and loading things quick.

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #592 on: Wednesday 18 November 2020, 04:52:15 PM »
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-zenbook-14-um433iq-a5037t-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-grey-10208034-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/avita-admiror-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-copper-10215491-pdt.html

These would do the job, I would go for the 2nd personally