Author Topic: Recommend a laptop  (Read 51532 times)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
Re: Recommend a laptop.
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 02:30:59 pm »
Netbooks are what they are netbooks.  If your going to run anything decent apps/games or use it for watching HD video then a laptop is a must.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 02:33:19 pm »
Netbooks are what they are netbooks.  If your going to run anything decent apps/games or use it for watching HD video then a laptop is a must.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 03:22:30 pm »
Bought it and it has actually got an HDMI port, so happy days.

Also, those PC World employees get really f***ing narked if you just want a laptop and nowt else. :lol:

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 03:24:56 pm »

Also, those PC World employees get really f***ing narked if you just want a laptop and nowt else. :lol:

Eh? :lol: Like what? "Fancy a... fuckin... tumble dryer with that, sir?"

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 03:26:15 pm »

Eh? :lol: Like what? "Fancy a... fuckin... tumble dryer with that, sir?"

:lol:

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 03:41:11 pm »
:lol: Nah, the usual - Norton, insurance, laptop bag, whatever.  The guy was a miserable t*** tbh.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 03:44:44 pm »
:lol: Nah, the usual - Norton, insurance, laptop bag, whatever.  The guy was a miserable t*** tbh.

Probably a commission-chasing tosser.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 03:46:59 pm »
Definitely, although tbf we got loads of commission on things like warranties when I sold computers so I don't blame him.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 04:01:38 pm »
Well there are labels next to the laptops saying 'we don't work for commission, we work for YOU' but that image was f***ed over somewhat when I overheard a manager briefing 2 staff members about targets and the like, something along the lines of "Rachel made £2500, you made £1700 - her profit margin was 1.5, your's was 1.2 - the target's this or that, etc".

I said I didn't want Norton because I'd had it before and it offered no more protection than the free one I used after that, AVG.  He claimed AVG was rubbish, we had to agree to disagree.  I was quite interested in the insurance cover but not on the terms they were asking.  I already had a laptop bag.  Cheeky f***er wouldn't even give me a plastic bag to cover the thing on the way home, had to go and beg for one at the front desk.  You don't want to be walking around Walford with a new laptop.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 04:08:18 pm »
Best Buy when they open up more stores will be the place to go to buy anything electronic.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 04:16:20 pm »
Well there are labels next to the laptops saying 'we don't work for commission, we work for YOU' but that image was f***ed over somewhat when I overheard a manager briefing 2 staff members about targets and the like, something along the lines of "Rachel made £2500, you made £1700 - her profit margin was 1.5, your's was 1.2 - the target's this or that, etc".

I said I didn't want Norton because I'd had it before and it offered no more protection than the free one I used after that, AVG.  He claimed AVG was rubbish, we had to agree to disagree.  I was quite interested in the insurance cover but not on the terms they were asking.  I already had a laptop bag.  Cheeky f***er wouldn't even give me a plastic bag to cover the thing on the way home, had to go and beg for one at the front desk.  You don't want to be walking around Walford with a new laptop.

Walford is a real place?  :kasper:

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 04:24:13 pm »

:lol: Yeah, I live there.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 04:29:59 pm »

Do you live on the square? What's Phil like in real life?

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 04:32:31 pm »

Do you live on the square? What's Phil like in real life?

We live at Pat's - it's 500 squid a month, plus an extra 50 for unlimited access to the bar in the front room.

Phil looks a lot like Bruce Willis in real life, the telly doesn't do him justice at all.  He does look a bit rough when he's on the crack like, but who doesn't?

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 04:33:24 pm »
:lol:

Offline Magpie

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 10:08:11 pm »

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #66 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 02:37:06 am »
Acers are generally okay as long as you don't want anything too powerful. Good for the basics. At least in what I've experienced.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 17 July 2011, 04:34:36 pm »
Thing it's been about a year since I decided I wanted a laptop/netbook but I think I will finally get one now! :lol:

Ideally I would like one you could play through the tv, this could be all laptops but I am a bit thick and they were talking about one in an advert so assumed it was a special feature.

I don't play games, download anything so that sort of stuff isn't important and I wouldn't need a great deal of space.

Had a look on Hotukdeals but as I am a computer moron I don't really know what's worthwhile for me. Don't really want to spend a great deal (£300-£400).

Any recommendations?  :undecided:

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 17 July 2011, 04:55:12 pm »
Now is not the time to buy, I'd wait 10-12 months if I were you.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 17 July 2011, 05:01:22 pm »
Why? Advances in technology?

I will probably get something, even if it's a cheap notebook for now.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 17 July 2011, 05:07:07 pm »
I was extracting the urine since you already waited a year, sorry.  :blush:

Anyway, Dell are pretty hot right now, Id seriously wait on a discount or voucher from them and get what you can, keep it in the 15" bracket and you should get a good model for that price but not anything that can do games.

If you cannot wait, Acer and Asus are probably best for your money. Stay intel, stay nvidia if you can for gpu, stay over 3gb, try for an i3, and if possible a led screen.

Staying with hot deals...http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/msi-fx600-laptop-blu-ray-500gb-15-6-inch-1-gb-graphic-card-4-gb-ram-399-99-argos/965958

But I hear getting a hold of one is difficult, might be better in your area.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 17 July 2011, 05:16:06 pm »
 :blush: I thought it would be some obvious reason I should know about  :laugh:

Cheers mate :thup:

Offline LiquidAK

• General Member
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 26 July 2011, 07:25:23 pm »
http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-l502x/pd?cs=ukepp1&oc=n00x5m03&model_id=xps-l502x

So that looks pretty f***ing awesome for what I want (something that can play games reasonably well and continue to do so for a few years (i.e. not be left completely behind). Decent deal on it too, down from £800 to £600, which is £100 over my limit but I think that deal seems worth it.

How does that look to the computer experts here? Good deal? Problem is the deal expires in 2 days and I haven't saved up the cash yet. :lol: Will that sort of deal come around again pretty soon? Never shopped for a Dell before so I dunno how common this £200 off deals etc. are.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 26 July 2011, 07:29:29 pm »
Me iPad doesn't display the spec list properly, but it looks good from what I gather. They do money off often, but you'll be waiting 2months for the next one.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 26 July 2011, 07:38:14 pm »
I think the "Dell recommends Internet Explorer 9" in the top corner would be enough to put me off like. :lol:
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.