Author Topic: Recommend a laptop  (Read 53237 times)

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
Re: Recommend a laptop
« Reply #475 on: Tuesday 30 July 2019, 03:11:49 PM »
Just upped my RAM from 4GB to 8GB in my old (8 years old or so) shithouse laptop and I'm really annoyed I didn't do this sooner. Less than £20 or so for a noticeable bump in speed. :lol:

Now I'm looking to upgrade to SSD just to squeeze a bit more out of the thing rather than splashing out on a new system. I've got plenty of cloud storage space and I'm only using about 184GB of my current 640GB HDD. With that in mind, will a 250GB SSD (~£40) do the job and be worth my while? (I know the answer is yes, but just need someone to tell me yes. #NPW)

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #476 on: Tuesday 30 July 2019, 03:33:46 PM »
Not sure I've ever had a SSD larger than 250 in a laptop, and have never had any issues. Maybe you have to be mindful of it if you're downloading massive files arl the time.

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #477 on: Tuesday 30 July 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
Not sure I've ever had a SSD larger than 250 in a laptop, and have never had any issues. Maybe you have to be mindful of it if you're downloading massive files arl the time.
:thup:

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #478 on: Tuesday 30 July 2019, 03:46:40 PM »
Grab a cheap usb caddy too and stick the old disk in it for a portable hard disk.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #479 on: Tuesday 30 July 2019, 03:52:05 PM »
Grab a cheap usb caddy too and stick the old disk in it for a portable hard disk.
Hadn't thought about that, cheers.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #480 on: Wednesday 31 July 2019, 12:13:02 PM »
Just upped my RAM from 4GB to 8GB in my old (8 years old or so) shithouse laptop and I'm really annoyed I didn't do this sooner. Less than £20 or so for a noticeable bump in speed. :lol:

Now I'm looking to upgrade to SSD just to squeeze a bit more out of the thing rather than splashing out on a new system. I've got plenty of cloud storage space and I'm only using about 184GB of my current 640GB HDD. With that in mind, will a 250GB SSD (~£40) do the job and be worth my while? (I know the answer is yes, but just need someone to tell me yes. #NPW)

The change from HDD to SSD will be a massive improvement. Boot up will go from a couple of minutes to less than 30 seconds. The RAM increase will seem negligible by comparison. 250GB SSD are available from around £25 now: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0771YJNSX/
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-240gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html?wgu=711_116019_15645714694474_c7f02fc654&wgexpiry=1572347469&source=Webgains
https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=SSD
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline sbnufc

• General Member
« Reply #481 on: Wednesday 7 August 2019, 01:06:56 PM »
What's with some programs looking slightly blurry on a new laptop (windows 10)?  The text is a bit out of focus and it's doing my head in.  I tried changing resolution or zooming in/out in settings, but it obviously just made everything tiny/massive.

Any fix?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #482 on: Wednesday 7 August 2019, 03:47:18 PM »
What's with some programs looking slightly blurry on a new laptop (windows 10)?  The text is a bit out of focus and it's doing my head in.  I tried changing resolution or zooming in/out in settings, but it obviously just made everything tiny/massive.

Any fix?

It's because your laptop has a higher resolution that what they were built for.  Change Scale/Layout is only workable fix.

Offline sbnufc

• General Member
« Reply #483 on: Wednesday 7 August 2019, 05:07:51 PM »
damn :lol: I'll have to get used to everything being tiny then I guess. Better than blurry.

Offline sbnufc

• General Member
« Reply #484 on: Tuesday 19 November 2019, 02:58:48 AM »
I've got a 256GB SSD in my laptop, it's filling up fast so I think I'll get an external HD. 1TB should be enough.  So I was thinking I would just stick a small (physical size, I mean) on the laptop lid like this

If it's plugged in all the time will it slow the computer down? I'd put pictures/videos and work files on there, leave the SSD free for programs
Probably a stupid question, but I have no idea :lol:

Also is there anything I should look for in the external HD?

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #485 on: Tuesday 19 November 2019, 03:11:26 AM »
well thats a little ghetto. Why not just swap out the SSD?

Anyway, it will not slow the computer down, but wobbling a hard disk around isn't great for it's lifespan. Alternatively, you could just get a massive SD Card if you have an SD card reader built in. Or you can get an external SSD, which won't suffer from being thrown around.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #486 on: Tuesday 19 November 2019, 03:12:02 AM »
Or even a USB 3.0 stick thingy. Use a USB extension cord if needed.

Offline sbnufc

• General Member
« Reply #487 on: Tuesday 19 November 2019, 03:54:26 AM »
well thats a little ghetto. Why not just swap out the SSD?

Anyway, it will not slow the computer down, but wobbling a hard disk around isn't great for it's lifespan. Alternatively, you could just get a massive SD Card if you have an SD card reader built in. Or you can get an external SSD, which won't suffer from being thrown around.
I thought SSD's were faster and HD better for just storing s***.  Honestly I have no clue what I'm talking about :lol:  I thought about keeping it plugged in all the time cause it just seems annoying to have to go get it every time I'd need to access something from it

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #488 on: Tuesday 19 November 2019, 04:40:19 AM »
Nah HDDs aren't really better for anything at the consumer level. They're just cheaper, especially at large volumes, so people tend to run the OS on a SSD and store stuff in a HDD. But at 1TB you could feasibly just use a SSD. Depends how much you want to spend really.

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #489 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 09:46:50 AM »
Bought my wife a new laptop as hers is 10 years old (literally) and broken.  She made me send it back and she's in the living room trying to fix the old piece of crap.  It's not even a little bit broken, the f***ing screen section got completely snapped off.

I don't understand women.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #490 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 09:56:30 AM »
Bought my wife a new laptop as hers is 10 years old (literally) and broken.  She made me send it back and she's in the living room trying to fix the old piece of crap.  It's not even a little bit broken, the f***ing screen section got completely snapped off.

10 years. :spit:

I get a new laptop every 2-3 years now.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #491 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 10:00:41 AM »
The upgrades and price reductions over relatively short spaces of time are daft these days like - recently replaced a 4 year old laptop, paid £200 less than the old one and the new machine is on a different planet performance wise.

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #492 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 11:56:32 AM »
Well, shows how much I know, she actually fixed it :lol:

Spoiler
[close]

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #493 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 12:04:05 PM »

that's cos you won't buy mac Nees  O0 Still rocking the MacBook pro Mid 2012 with no issues.
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline ToonTastic

• Administrator
  • General Member
« Reply #494 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 01:30:40 PM »

that's cos you won't buy mac Nees  O0 Still rocking the MacBook pro Mid 2012 with no issues.

That was when they made decent kit that last. I have more problems at work with the new Macs than the old. Also love Dosdude1.com for upgrading these to latest OS.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #495 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 01:45:33 PM »

I had a mid 2011 MacBook Pro and needed a new.keyboard and graphics chip.

Will never buy apple again, their latest models are even worse with the butterfly keyboard.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #496 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 02:17:46 PM »
Got a Dell XPS 15. Comes with a Killer wi-fi card which is turboshite. Going to have a stab at replacing it with an Intel one. (thankyouyoutubetutorials)

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #497 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 02:21:19 PM »
Got a Dell XPS 15. Comes with a Killer wi-fi card which is turboshite. Going to have a stab at replacing it with an Intel one. (thankyouyoutubetutorials)

Intel's is even worse.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #498 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 02:24:17 PM »

Will never buy apple again, their latest models are even worse with the butterfly keyboard.

They've replaced the butterfly keyboard on the most recent MBP. With a revolutionary new keyboard design (the old one).

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #499 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 03:26:03 PM »

They've replaced the butterfly keyboard on the most recent MBP. With a revolutionary new keyboard design (the old one).

Yeah, that's the best Macbook Pro that's came out for a long time.