Author Topic: The random thoughts thread  (Read 451403 times)

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
Re: The random thoughts thread
« Reply #13025 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 03:20:26 PM »
Ohio's flag is pretty good, I think.

Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Sleestak 2020
« Reply #13026 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 03:26:33 PM »

Not quite as good as Maryland, but still pretty good. Not rectangular, at least.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #13027 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 03:28:27 PM »

Looks like a zombie, draped in the stars and stripes, riding a unicycle. [overhead shot]

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Sleestak 2020
« Reply #13028 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 03:29:10 PM »
Oregon's is class because it looks like a third grader made it.

Front:

Back:

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #13029 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 03:42:32 PM »
:lol: if their flag were just the beaver it’d be GOAT

Offline Segun Oluwaniyi

• babatunde
  • General Member
  • Place where the number one cause of death is money
« Reply #13030 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 03:43:31 PM »
US States:

Best:

Maryland [it is known], Texas [wtf?!?!]

You're killing me here, Baba.
:lol: Honestly, I am a bit biased towards Maryland because Baltimore is my "home", from when I showed up in your country as teen to play basketball and school, so I know it well and love it, but Texas is probably the best state, man. Houston and Dallas are two of the best cities, the women are beautiful (happily married with multiple children), great diversity of people and culture throughout and parts of west Texas especially are very beautiful. It would make a great country in itself and is almost as big as Nigeria anyway. Also, not cold.

I will not take this injustice against Maryland's flag :lol:, it is the best in the country, especially compared to boring flags like Nigeria's and most Eastern U.S. states with just a seal and a solid background. Ugly in concept, but works in practice, evidenced by it being worn and flown an excessive amount compared to others. I believe it has two parts to represent divided loyalties from the civil war.
California & Maine as equals to Arkansas :lol: This is quite the take.
Maine is the coldest I have ever been and I do not have one positive thing to say about California. LA especially is one of the worst places I've been in the world, below some Russian cities and Kinshasa. Terrible. At least Arkansas is just useless, rather than actively offensive. The flag of California is great, though.

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, EU
« Reply #13031 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
So Baba. :lol:
:) As you were.

Offline Doctor Zaius

• General Member
« Reply #13032 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 04:47:23 PM »
Need his thoughts on european cities like, I've no reference for US states

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • The perfect food
« Reply #13033 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 04:58:33 PM »
The west texas take is one of the worst I've ever heard. :lol: From Abilene to the New Mexico border a thick oil stench hangs in the air and it's nothing but scrub brush and depression. :lol:

edit: I have no experience near the panhandle area so that may well be beautiful up there. but everything along I-10 was absolute garbage

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #13034 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 05:18:56 PM »
Judging California by LA alone, come on Baba you’re better than that. :lol:

Maine, at least coastal Maine, is stunningly beautiful. The rest of it is forest and lakes, which can’t be terrible.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #13035 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 05:58:30 PM »
Aye but it's cold Deuce.

Online thomas

• General Member
  • The perfect food
« Reply #13036 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 06:09:55 PM »
I've always heard Maine is mega-racist and I still think we should off load it to Canada.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #13037 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 06:51:47 PM »
LA is a f***ing hellhole, but California is class.  San Diego and San Francisco are two of the best cities on the planet

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #13038 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 06:54:48 PM »
What's so bad about LA?  Some of my friends like it who have visited it, but the Americans on here seem to detest the place.  Genuinely curious.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #13039 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 06:55:46 PM »
It's just big and trafficy. I found certain parts of LA to be palatable and others to be less so. I assume it just takes a certain type of person to want to live there.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Sleestak 2020
« Reply #13040 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 06:57:08 PM »
The west texas take is one of the worst I've ever heard. :lol: From Abilene to the New Mexico border a thick oil stench hangs in the air and it's nothing but scrub brush and depression. :lol:

edit: I have no experience near the panhandle area so that may well be beautiful up there. but everything along I-10 was absolute garbage

I have extensive first-hand experience in Odessa, TX and can confirm. 

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #13041 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 06:59:20 PM »
I've always heard Maine is mega-racist and I still think we should off load it to Canada.

Its populace is whiter than the winter snows that frost the shores of Acadia National Park, so.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Sleestak 2020
« Reply #13042 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 07:00:43 PM »
LA is a f***ing hellhole, but California is class.  San Diego and San Francisco are two of the best cities on the planet

I like San Francisco a lot. That may be because it feels the most East Coast-y of the CA cities, though.

Offline La Parka

• Not Leeds Mag
  • General Member
« Reply #13043 on: Friday 11 September 2020, 08:30:07 PM »
He got Nevada right. Its a f***ing wasteland.

We were traveling through death valley (wife's homeland) and we came across a deserted junction like place. Used to be a banging place where an opera singer opened the opera House to entertain the miners (was it Bauxite?) .

Anyway, there was a restaurant set up, but it definitely hadn't been used since the 80s. Half expected a skeleton to be there. Whilst we were nosing about someone approached us (we thought it was deserted) and they took us to a hotel. There were 3 people in the hotel. There was the receptionist, chef, tour guide lady, a man who turned out to be the son of the ex opera singer who lived there.

They seemed to assume we were here to see her and led us through what used to be a hotel, which now was bathed in amateur painting (murals?) Which had been done by this apparently famous lady. They led us to her room where she sat under a mound of blankets and acknowledged us with a croak. The father in law tried to rustle up small talk and I noped out of there as fast as possible and hid in the car. f*** knows what we stumbled across ! The hotel was creepy as f***.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amargosa_Opera_House_and_Hotel

Its was this place. Holy s*** !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marta_Becket

This lady. RIP. Sorry I ran away.

"The Amargosa Hotel is open year-round for visitors from all over the world. Beyond these maintained areas, the town of Death Valley Junction is almost a ghost town. There are no gas stations. The single restaurant, the Amargosa Cafe, was part of the Opera House and Hotel, and has recently re-opened with an Australian-American cook making very upscale, Australian-American fusion roadhouse/coffee shop meals, pastries and coffees from espresso to American drip. The interior of the Cafe is like a time capsule, like most of the Amargosa Hotel, with an old counter and circular counter chairs."

Online thomas

• General Member
  • The perfect food
« Reply #13044 on: Monday 14 September 2020, 10:53:37 PM »
what if Uber Eats, DoorDash, etc, had a gamble mode where every 1 out of 100 (roughly, just a 1% chance basically) orders the driver got to eat the meal for free and Uber would just refund you 115% of the cost of the meal.

edit: but you wouldn't find out until the tracker showed the driver within about 100m of your doorstep. then a Press Your Luck Whammy or Pac Man game over screen pops up etc.

edit: vvvvvvvvvv

My acceptance would depend solely on the time of day I'm placing the order.

5:30pm? Cool. I can order again and add an extra tip on top
I'd want there to be ways against gaming the system, like you're locked out of ordering in that app/all apps for 24 hours or something. Yeah it would be exploitable otherwise.

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #13045 on: Monday 14 September 2020, 10:57:50 PM »
My acceptance would depend solely on the time of day I'm placing the order.

5:30pm? Cool. I can order again and add an extra tip on top

8pm? I get my food or I cut somebody.

Offline Segun Oluwaniyi

• babatunde
  • General Member
  • Place where the number one cause of death is money
« Reply #13046 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 10:09:20 PM »
That Nevada story is terrifying, I don't begrudge you for running. :lol:

I only noticed the stench in the 100 or so miles around Odessa/Midland, and parts of the Niger Delta I've visited are far worse in that regard, so it did not really bother me. Midland was not bad otherwise. It had the childhood home of President George W. Bush, which is a positive, I suppose.
Judging California by LA alone, come on Baba you’re better than that. :lol:

Maine, at least coastal Maine, is stunningly beautiful. The rest of it is forest and lakes, which can’t be terrible.
I've seen most of the bigger cities in California and traveled from San Francisco to the Mexican border, LA just stood out as especially terrible. There are wonderful beaches, but this is useless to me. I am just now having my wife teach me how to swim properly, rather than just treading for survival. You will not see me willfully entering the ocean. :lol:

I have not enjoyed most of the Western cities or states in general, tbh. The Deep South - Arkansas + TX, NC, MD, VA and New York are the places most suitable for me. Anything west of Texas or north of NYC has generally not appealed to me in the same way.

You can keep Maine. I had a woman convince me to follow her to Preque Isle (sp.) when I was uni and it reminded me of Russia in the winter. Such a cold, dismal, lonely place. I left the girl soon after.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #13047 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 10:27:23 PM »
:lol: serves her right

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #13048 on: Yesterday at 06:04:25 AM »
"Make me proud"

Weird request to make of your children. They're going to fail just about everything they do, only one child can win the sack race, same with the spelling bee. Once all the usual  opportunities are exhausted they'll have nothing left but to turn to less traditional methods. Like getting on the news for shooting up the school.

"Made it Ma! Top of the world!".

Probably better to go with the pessimist approach, "Look, just don't bring any shame on the family, FFS" and then express pride when appropriate.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #13049 on: Yesterday at 08:15:45 AM »