Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 943151 times)

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
Re: Facebook
« Reply #15650 on: Thursday 2 April 2020, 03:00:23 PM »
For example, someone I work with who is a really good nurse but maybe a bit earnest (works night shift) posts regularly about her faith. That's pretty common over here relative to the UK, and fair enough. Only, she's just posted something about "strong, faith-filled leaders like Franklin Graham" with a Fox News insert about USNS Comfort. Again, fair enough...except Franklin Graham - among other things - is a notorious homophobe, something that has manifested repeatedly and occasionally in a very ugly fashion. I want to ask her about this, but (a) it's a difficult time for nurses, obviously and (b) it's the sort of thing much better discussed face-to-face. You know, just to clarify with her whether she thinks my friends Norman and Mark are going to burn in Hell for eternity, and point out I'm not happy with that.

It shouldn't go unchallenged, but this really doesn't feel like the right forum, or time.

Always felt the same, but found more often than not the right moment never comes in person. So try/tried to take my chances online, but it's a tender affair. Say the wrong thing, and you put them on the defensive and it's nothing but downhill. Ended up ridding myself of FB because of this, been 6 years and can't say I miss it. Also hated feeling like I had to hate people because of their FB content, so an ignorance is bliss approach seemed best.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline bobbydazzla

• General Member
« Reply #15651 on: Thursday 2 April 2020, 03:16:05 PM »
Deleted my account 8 years ago, as someone else said, it's cess pool. Life is far, far better without being exposed to the rancid s**** that people spout on there.

However, I did manage to locate my dad via Facebook. We'd been estranged for 20 years but now have a pretty close relationship and see each other often.
So I have to begrudgingly admit that Facebook did change my life in a huge way and for the better. But it really, really, pains me to say that.

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #15652 on: Thursday 2 April 2020, 03:39:47 PM »
Deleted my account 8 years ago, as someone else said, it's cess pool. Life is far, far better without being exposed to the rancid s**** that people spout on there.

However, I did manage to locate my dad via Facebook. We'd been estranged for 20 years but now have a pretty close relationship and see each other often.
So I have to begrudgingly admit that Facebook did change my life in a huge way and for the better. But it really, really, pains me to say that.

Surely it says more about your Facebook friends rather than the platform itself? :lol:

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #15653 on: Thursday 2 April 2020, 03:51:09 PM »

Surely it says more about your Facebook friends rather than the platform itself? :lol:

I mean if you only used real friends that you value or respect you'd only have a handful and it would be fine. It's all the work colleagues, kids parents and general acquaintances that send it south.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #15654 on: Sunday 5 April 2020, 12:01:54 PM »
Screenshot-20200405-115646-Facebook-2" border="0

I'm not dismissing dog fouling as an issue but come on. :lol:

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #15655 on: Sunday 5 April 2020, 01:10:47 PM »
Howay man can't be having people leaving their nonce Nutella out for kiddie's to find.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #15656 on: Sunday 5 April 2020, 01:11:55 PM »
I heard the dogshit soaks up the harmful 5g rays put out by the government to make us all compliant.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #15657 on: Sunday 5 April 2020, 01:31:47 PM »
Maybe it is a bag of Nutella. Did they check closely?

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Norway
« Reply #15658 on: Sunday 5 April 2020, 04:58:05 PM »
Thing is, the world has always been populated by overly thick people. Facebook just makes them visible.
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #15659 on: Sunday 5 April 2020, 05:54:03 PM »
Thing is, the world has always been populated by overly thick people. Facebook just makes them visible.

Correct.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #15660 on: Monday 6 April 2020, 07:54:09 AM »
Really interesting thread about social media in general

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #15661 on: Monday 6 April 2020, 08:23:28 AM »

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #15662 on: Monday 6 April 2020, 12:53:59 PM »
Really interesting thread about social media in general

Very well articulated. :thup:

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #15663 on: Monday 6 April 2020, 01:03:41 PM »

Sorry but can you disprove any of that.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #15664 on: Monday 6 April 2020, 02:05:58 PM »
I reported a comment for the first time last night.

Because of the nature of my job, I keep tabs on local neighbourhood groups, meaning I inevitably end up reading a load of gammony garbage. I actually come up sometimes too, which is always a giggle.

Anyhow, responding to a status calling Meghan Markle an evil bitch who should p*ss off back to the US cos she's ruining Harry; some bloke called Marc described her as a 'mongrel' - but that 'some rough blood mixed with pure breed can sometimes produce good pups'.

I'd have thought both dehumanising someone and being racist would be grounds for Facebook to remove the comment but apparently it wasn't. Unless using the word 'mongrel' to describe a person of mixed race isn't racist?
I report stuff all the time.
I think only once have they ever taken action, usually they do nothing.

Once of those 5g conspiracy groups was reported a few days ago. The people who reported were told by Facebook that it didn’t go against their rules. It wasn’t until the press found out about people attacking telephone masts and made the link to the groups did Facebook do anything about it.

Facebook couldn’t give a f***. They know that the majority of the users are racists and conspiracy nuts. They know that the likes of Russia etc make fake profiles. The thing is though Facebook are still getting the advertising money from them, so they don’t give a f***. If they clamped down on it, they would have no users or income.

Contrast this with Twitter who largely take down fake news articles and offensive posts etc reasonably quickly.

Offline chicken little

• General Member
« Reply #15665 on: Wednesday 8 April 2020, 09:49:41 AM »
outstanding work

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #15666 on: Wednesday 8 April 2020, 10:05:55 AM »
Get in :lol: