Author Topic: Alan Shearer  (Read 218929 times)

Offline ujpest doza

• Thick as f*ck
  • General Member
Re: Alan Shearer
« Reply #600 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
Surprised by the lack of Cantona like. The bloke was incredible.
I think he's arguably the most overrated player of the Premiership era.

Right place, right time and that but I think Bergkamp was a player who was at another level. Cantona has that cult of personality surrounding him though that Bergkamp doesn't.
Whereas Bergkamp was an utter snide sly c*** who I remember Darren Peacock enjoying one particularly feisty encounter with both digging each other off the ball while the play was at the other end of the field and the officials therefore weren't watching.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #601 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 07:38:07 PM »
Cantona may have had a brief great spell compared to others but you have to factor in just what he meant to that side and team and how important he was. He along with Schmeichael pretty much won them the league against us and he was the one man that was consistent at either creating goals, scoring them and performing in games, especially the big games. I wouldn't have him in my all-time XI though.

4-4-2 based on individual strengths and consistency I'd go with:

Schmeichel
G.Neville
Ferdinand
Campbell
A.Cole
Ronaldo
Vieira
Lampard
Giggs
Shearer
Henry

That side would be lethal like.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #602 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 07:46:23 PM »
Surprised by the lack of Cantona like. The bloke was incredible.
I think he's arguably the most overrated player of the Premiership era.

Right place, right time and that but I think Bergkamp was a player who was at another level. Cantona has that cult of personality surrounding him though that Bergkamp doesn't.

I agree with you regarding Bergkamp, he is a class above the likes of Cantona who take away the cult of personality would be on a par with Le Tissier. Bergkamp was on another level and is easily one of the all-time Premier League greats. Had he been more selfish and played further forward he would have been a 20 + a season man, he certainly had the goal scoring ability as he could finish.

As a partnership it's probably hard to look beyond him and Henry, they dovetailed so well. Sometimes it's not always about statistics etc. it's about the aesthetics of play and those two were f***ing dynamite on the pitch, often a level above everyone else, even players equally as good such as our own Shearer, Drogba at his height, Suarez etc.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
  • Get your hands off me you freak
« Reply #603 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 07:59:04 PM »
Can't believe people are ignoring Scholes.
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #604 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 08:03:56 PM »
Schmeichel
Neville
Adams
Campbell
Ashley Cole
Ronaldo
Vieira
Scholes
Giggs
Shearer
Henry

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #605 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 08:04:29 PM »

Usually he'd be in there, but I cannot look beyond Lampard who isn't as good a footballer as Scholes was but that goal scoring ability, big game mentality, consistency etc. for me makes him stand out above then,idea of Scholes and Gerrard.

firetotheworks

« Reply #606 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
I couldn't argue with Bergkamp or Lampard being in anyone's like. Both ridiculous players in their own ways. The thing for me with Cantona is that he wasn't just a brilliant player but he was inspirational and along with Schmeichel, carried Man United to the title. I doubt I'll ever truly understand Keane being in people's teams tbh, he was an outstanding leader and inspirational, but as a footballer I never rated him that highly at all. I'd have Scholes, Vieira, Lampard, and Gerrard all ahead of him.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #607 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 08:12:29 PM »

Usually he'd be in there, but I cannot look beyond Lampard who isn't as good a footballer as Scholes was but that goal scoring ability, big game mentality, consistency etc. for me makes him stand out above then,idea of Scholes and Gerrard.
Not in the same class as Scholes though it's not as if Scholes hardly scored either and his all round game totally overwhelm Lampards. Scholes is easily the best Premiership midfielder.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #608 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 08:15:22 PM »
I couldn't argue with Bergkamp or Lampard being in anyone's like. Both ridiculous players in their own ways. The thing for me with Cantona is that he wasn't just a brilliant player but he was inspirational and along with Schmeichel, carried Man United to the title. I doubt I'll ever truly understand Keane being in people's teams tbh, he was an outstanding leader and inspirational, but as a footballer I never rated him that highly at all. I'd have Scholes, Vieira, Lampard, and Gerrard all ahead of him.
I certainly cannot understand those that have selected both Vieira and Keane. Keane was a very good player just in my opinion not as good as Vieira. But you'd only need one of them whoever you prefer.

firetotheworks

« Reply #609 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
I certainly cannot understand those that have selected both Vieira and Keane. Keane was a very good player just in my opinion not as good as Vieira. But you'd only need one of them whoever you prefer.
:thup: to all of that.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #610 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 08:43:34 PM »

Not in the same class as Scholes though it's not as if Scholes hardly scored either and his all round game totally overwhelm Lampards. Scholes is easily the best Premiership midfielder.

As a footballer no, but Lampard was far more consistent as a goalscoring midfielder and technically very underrated, he is for example a level above Gerrard for me. Scholes for a period was arguably the best player England have produced since Gazza, but as he hit his late 20s he become less of a player for me, where as Lampard has always been a big player - even now he is guaranteed to get a goal or so given half the chance.

RE Keane, he was another underrated footballer, but he was also kind of limited regarding his all-round game, he is nowhere near the very best in that CM area in the history of the PL. I'd put Essien ahead of him individually, Makalele too. As a footballer he's not that far ahead of someone like Batty or Ince, but he played in consistent winning side that was very high profile which for me elevated his greatness somewhat. Great player of course, but not as great as Vieira or Makalele.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #611 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
Btw Ronaldo wide right wouldn't get a look in, when he moved more central yes, but even then not enough to displace Shearer and Henry. He's in my all-time XI because of who he is, if anything it should be Beckham in there or Robben perhaps...

Offline Ronaldo

• General Member
  • Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #612 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 09:06:37 PM »
Beckham on his best day didn't come close to how good Ronaldo was for the majority of his time at Man U.

As for Lampard's inclusion, I think people are forgetting just how great he was from around 2004 - 2011. He had everything you'd want and more in a CM.

Offline r0cafella

• General Member
« Reply #613 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 09:09:30 PM »
Beckham on his best day didn't come close to how good Ronaldo was for the majority of his time at Man U.

As for Lampard's inclusion, I think people are forgetting just how great he was from around 2004 - 2011. He had everything you'd want and more in a CM.

:thup:
United we stand, divided we fall.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #614 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 09:17:58 PM »

Well no he didn't. He never took games by the scruff of the neck because he wasn't technically good enough to . Didn't possess a killer ball or a trick. What he had was a decent engine and an amazing knack of knowing where the net was plus a sixth sense of being in the right place at the right time .

The not controlling games bit like Scholes, Gascoigne and even Gerrard could is why I don't place Lampard in the upper echelon of Premiership midfielders, though clearly his scoring record is outstanding as is his professionalism

Offline Ronaldo

• General Member
  • Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #615 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
I don't agree. His passing over short and long range was (and to some extent still is) outstanding. Thing is with Lampard, at Chelsea he was always the most important player, but he was still ultimately a cog in a world class machine of players. He rarely had to 'take games by the scruff of the neck'.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #616 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 09:47:48 PM »
I don't agree. His passing over short and long range was (and to some extent still is) outstanding. Thing is with Lampard, at Chelsea he was always the most important player, but he was still ultimately a cog in a world class machine of players. He rarely had to 'take games by the scruff of the neck'.
That would wash except for the elephant in the room that he never took games by the scruff of the neck for England either. His short passing is as any Premiership midfielders short passing is. My opinion is were it not for his  goalscoring ability, Frank Lampard would be a nondescript, run of the mill player.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #617 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
Because I like to join in.

Schmeichel
Neville
Ferdinand
Stam
Cole
Vieira
Alonso
Scholes
Ronaldo
Shearer
Henry

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #618 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
I like Stam too but wasn't here long enough imho. Alonso is an interesting selection.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #619 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 09:59:22 PM »
I'm a hypocrite, with Suarez I would say he wasn't here for long enough, but with Stam I don't care, he would be a contender for my all time XI(from my life time).

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #620 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
I'm a hypocrite, with Suarez I would say he wasn't here for long enough, but with Stam I don't care, he would be a contender for my all time XI(from my life time).
I almost selected him myself :thup:

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #621 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 11:03:50 PM »

Come off it, Beckham was a very good player for Man Utd, easily one of the best right sided players in the League of all time. Obviously not to the level of Ronaldo overall, but to say at his best he didn't come close is daft. Beckham was a constant supplier of goals and a real thrwt, plus his work rate and high standards helped to make that midfield four at Man Utd one of if not the best we've seen in the PL. He was immense at times.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #622 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 11:08:44 PM »
That would wash except for the elephant in the room that he never took games by the scruff of the neck for England either. His short passing is as any Premiership midfielders short passing is. My opinion is were it not for his  goalscoring ability, Frank Lampard would be a nondescript, run of the mill player.

f*** off :lol:

As for not grabbing games by the scruff of the neck, it can be argued by scoring game clinching goals that is indeed grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck and Lampard was great at that. Technically Lampard is or was very good, he was two footed and had a good range of passing short or long. Above all else he was an economically intelligent player, rarely wasted a pass, rarely shot if nowt was on, and never once passed up the opportunity to take it upon himself to get a shot away if and when he could, a rare commodity in a midfielder. He has been a sublime player, easily one of the best ever in this league and arguably the Alan Shearer of midfield - a colosus.

Offline Tiresias

• General Member
  • #TeamBenArfa
« Reply #623 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 11:12:57 PM »
Lampard is a fantastic player, as a player he hardly makes hte hairs on the back of my head stand up, to me he is slightly tainted (not his fault though) by the screaming blithering premier league brand of 'best football in the world' and by being hyped as being a player who is both english and good. His failures at England again stand against him, but also some extent not quite his fault. The reason he didn't take games by teh scruff of the neck is cos we don't make midfielders that way.

My preference is for midfielders like Viera, Scholes, Fabergas etc etc but tbh when you look at what he has achieved it is hard to argue Lampard hasn't been a fantastic player and deserves a lot of respect.
Just waiting for the glasses to go in the pocket

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #624 on: Saturday 27 December 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
             Schmeichel
Neville  Adams   Terry  Cole
          Viera   Scholes
Ronaldo  Bergkamp  Henry
               Shearer

Maybe swap Bergkamp for Suarez, but Suarez is a c*** and Dennis is (apparently) a lovely bloke. :aww:
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.