Author Topic: Climate change  (Read 38185 times)

Online loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
Re: Global Warming (Now rebranded climate change)
« Reply #525 on: Tuesday 30 October 2018, 11:57:49 PM »
Probably, but I wanted to bring the NBA into the discussion.

Ah, baseball.  I thought they were actors or something.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #526 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 01:44:38 PM »
If the mainstream media say global warming is a thing, safe to say the opposite is probabaly true, that goes for everything.

In a long and storied history of stupid posts on the forum, this will safely go down as a Lebron James or Michael Jordan argument with one or two others.

Oh well.

You do know they lie to you?

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #527 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 01:59:27 PM »
:lol: You do know they also post information on scientific consensus? Stuff like the existence of exoplanets or medical discoveries? Or is all that a lie as well?
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

firetotheworks

« Reply #528 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 02:01:08 PM »
Is that the sort of thinking that lead some knackers to believe that the earth is flat? :lol:

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, EU
« Reply #529 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 02:04:10 PM »
:lol: It's flat and balanced on the back of turtles balanced on elephants. I read it somewhere, so it must be true.
:) As you were.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #530 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 03:15:14 PM »
They mix truth with lies, so it's hard to know what to believe really.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #531 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 03:17:35 PM »

How about the overwhelming number of published scientific studies that are freely available online?

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #532 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 03:21:18 PM »

Which even if true would put them streets ahead of the alternative media which just mix lies with more lies and adverts for vitamin supplements.

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, EU
« Reply #533 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 03:22:29 PM »

How about the overwhelming number of published scientific studies that are freely available online?

:huff: Nobody wants experts.
:) As you were.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #534 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 03:41:17 PM »

Which even if true would put them streets ahead of the alternative media which just mix lies with more lies and adverts for vitamin supplements.

Saw a bloke wearing an Info Wars t-shirt in Eldon Sq last week. Horrific.

Online ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #535 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
best to believe the scientific consensus, I reckon.
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #536 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 04:21:45 PM »

Just believe the scientists, don't believe the politicians.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #537 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 04:27:47 PM »

Try for one believing the robustness of the scientific process, and peer review. To think there is some massive mafia cabal of scientists making this s*** that is disruptive to the industrialized economy up just for funding is just absurd, especially since the follow-the-money
arguments invariably leads in the other direction. Big Oil has an absolutely massive stake in the continuation of this economy. Consider that Big Tobacco used gaslighting tactics for years to foster doubt within the public about the dangers of cigarettes. Big Oil has adopted the exact same methods down to a tee, and f***ing us over in the process just for their bottom line.
Not one of the cool kids, and really insecure about it.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #538 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 04:58:02 PM »
tbh all you need to do to confirm climate change these days is pay attention to global events - it's not a theoretical situation any more, it's happening, and it's accelerating.

If the MSM are due any criticism it's for not hammering home the seriousness of this issue on a constant basis.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #539 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 04:59:53 PM »
But it's cold in Minnesota. Proof of the hoax.
Not one of the cool kids, and really insecure about it.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #540 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Online ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #541 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
tbh all you need to do to confirm climate change these days is pay attention to global events - it's not a theoretical situation any more, it's happening, and it's accelerating.

If the MSM are due any criticism it's for not hammering home the seriousness of this issue on a constant basis.

that and entertaining moron climate change deniers
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #542 on: Wednesday 31 October 2018, 05:45:40 PM »

that and entertaining moron climate change deniers

:thup: :thup:

Balance~!
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #543 on: Thursday 1 November 2018, 10:21:54 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/nov/20/climate-sceptics-hackers-leaked-emails

In one email, dated November 1999, one scientist wrote: "I've just completed Mike's Nature [the science journal] trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie, from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Leeds Leeds Leeds
« Reply #544 on: Thursday 1 November 2018, 10:40:45 AM »
:lol: "There's a global conspiracy where we are being lied to by scientists about the effect of a warming earth! They stand to gain nothing and I'm batshit crazy and kinda in need of help for suggesting a world wide conspiracy against ordinary people that just want to use fossil fuels and watch The Grand Tour, but that's what I believe is happening. CONSPIRACY! GET OUT MY HEAD!"
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #545 on: Thursday 1 November 2018, 10:45:56 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/nov/20/climate-sceptics-hackers-leaked-emails

In one email, dated November 1999, one scientist wrote: "I've just completed Mike's Nature [the science journal] trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie, from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."

Right, so one line from a 20 year old email from a university completely nullifies all scientific evidence. Wrap it up lads, Esso and Shell get to drill after all.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #546 on: Thursday 1 November 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
:lol: 

It's game, set and match, BlueStar, didn't you know.

Love the idea that making the planet cleaner is somehow worthy of conspiratorial endeavours to get there, but digging into the ground, extracting fossil fuels, clearly making the planet dirty (even if you don't agree we're damaging the planet in the process somehow) and polluting it to f*** is somehow full of moralistic and honest intent.

I'd put money on the fossil fuel industry being the puppet masters for many of these climate deniers.  In fact, that might be glaringly obvious to all already. :lol:
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline Nattfare

• General Member
« Reply #547 on: Thursday 1 November 2018, 10:51:20 AM »
:lol: It's flat and balanced on the back of turtles balanced on elephants. I read it somewhere, so it must be true.

Is the turtle male or female though? It's very important to know should the turtle find another turtle to mate with... as with a female it could have disastrous results.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #548 on: Thursday 1 November 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
Just offering balance.

People getting very defensive, weird.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #549 on: Thursday 1 November 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
It's the kind of "balance" where This Morning sat an astronomer next to that guy who says the moon landing was faked because you can't land on the moon because it's a hologram, as if they were two equal sides of the debate with equally valid positions.

Here's some conspiracies and leaked emails for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/08/exxon-climate-change-1981-climate-denier-funding

Shell and Exxon's secret 1980s climate change warnings

ExxonMobil, the world’s biggest oil company, knew as early as 1981 of climate change – seven years before it became a public issue, according to a newly discovered email from one of the firm’s own scientists. Despite this the firm spent millions over the next 27 years to promote climate denial.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/bp-shell-oil-global-warming-5-degree-paris-climate-agreement-fossil-fuels-temperature-rise-a8022511.html

BP and Shell planning for catastrophic 5°C global warming despite publicly backing Paris climate agreement

Oil giants Shell and BP are planning for global temperatures to rise as much as 5°C by the middle of the century. The level is more than double the upper limit committed to by most countries in the world under the Paris Climate Agreement, which both companies publicly support.

A timeline of Exxon's funding of climate change denial, while it privately acknowledged and planned for the effects of human climate change on its future operations.
https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/global-warming/exxon-and-the-oil-industry-knew-about-climate-change/exxons-climate-denial-history-a-timeline/