Author Topic: Climate change  (Read 38430 times)

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
Re: Global Warming.
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 12:18:49 AM »
the now show (radio 4) done a very good summation on the copehagen talks in the style of dr seuss. very funny. available through the radio 4 site. here...http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qgt7

it's about 10mins in.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline LucaAltieri

• General Member
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 12:21:52 AM »
If Parky had the facts to match his enthusiasm he'd be unstoppable.

As it is he's just zealously wrong.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 12:23:39 AM »
If Parky had the facts to match his enthusiasm he'd be unstoppable.
like if you had the penis to match your bollocks...........................however i agree re parky.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 01:33:25 AM »
There won't be any sustainable living.

Why ?

Because we're running out of oil/ oil price peaks. Impact on less obvious things like fertilizer, most of it made from oil derivitives.

Plastic. :nods:

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

Why ?

Because we're running out of oil/ oil price peaks. Impact on less obvious things like fertilizer, most of it made from oil derivitives.

Not just thet cars run on it, each tyre takes 7 gallons of oil in the making process. Nearly everything we make or do has an impact on oil usage. And easily usable and viable sources are running out...That is why the Saudi's have made their largest reserve data classified now. That is why even the saudi's are looking at coastal oil.....

Offline Delima

• Cretin
  • General Member
« Reply #105 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 02:31:08 PM »

Why ?

Not just thet cars run on it, each tyre takes 7 gallons of oil in the making process. Nearly everything we make or do has an impact on oil usage. And easily usable and viable sources are running out...That is why the Saudi's have made their largest reserve data classified now. That is why even the saudi's are looking at coastal oil.....

That's why we need to start acting, and not just sit there crying like a baby doing nothing and finger point at others ?
There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire, the other is to gain it - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 02:35:39 PM »

Oh...Sorry it's called climate change now, cause it's actually not really getting any hotter at all.

Tell that to the Polar Bears. Climate change is irrefutable, not necessarily something new though - just new to us.

That's right cause it's been much hotter before hasn't it?

No, it was much colder actually. :lol:

Go away and do some research.

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/lonniepnas.htm

f*** off, that's from a university. They're part of conspiracy, idiot. If you want the truth you need to listen to Alex Jones and David Icke.

Manipulation of evidence:

I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline.

Private doubts about whether the world really is heating up:

The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate."

Quotes out of context, from one institute, from reports that don't alter in any way the VAST body of evidence for man-made climate change.

Years of research vs. pulling stuff from your arse and putting it on youtube. I know which I prefer to follow.

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2009/12/07/the-real-climate-scandal/

What percentage atmospheric of Co2 is man made?

about 100 ppm (we're at 380 ppm compared to 280 ppm which is what it should be iirc.)

Our impact is a fraction of the Co2 coming off the sea and coming out of cows and rotting vegetation?

the oceans don't give off co2, they take it in. our impact on co2 would be a lot worse without it.

its all about balance, while natural processes impact co2 as well the co2 that has been locked underground for millions of years is being re-introduced into the atmosphere. that could be very bad for us if climate experts predictions turn out to be correct, while nature gives off lots and lots of co2 it also has various mechanisms (essentially forests and oceans and maybe more i dont know but those are the big 2) that sequestre it. thats why deforestation is another big problem along with co2 production.

cows also give of methane not co2, which is a far more important greenhouse gas (the world would be saved if we were all veggie etc...)

Surely if we didn't breed them for food and clothing, there would far fewer cows etc on the planet?

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #107 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 02:55:12 PM »
Cars are far more of a problem than f***ing cows.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 03:00:52 PM »

Just because Delima's in this thread, man. No need.

Offline Delima

• Cretin
  • General Member
« Reply #109 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 03:11:38 PM »

Define "problem" ? This thread is about global warming. If the problem is global warming, then you are wrong, cows are far worse than cars.

Cars are a necessity in our modern lives now. They are inevitable, unless we have an extremely comprehensive public transport coverage. In this sense cars are a necessary sin - undesirable, but inevitable - since we cannot dictate the public transport sytem by our own. Whereas anyone can easily avoid animal products in their food.

We all should do our bits to help save the world. Vote for the party that's friendliest to the environment. Cut down unnecessary consumeristic consumption. Avoid meat. Opt for more sustainable alternative.

Everyone's situation is different - some can afford to do more some can only do little. My life is far, far, far from sustainable / sinless, there are so many people out there who are doing better than me. Doesn't mean that I should just give up, doesn't mean that I should look at my neighbour who is doing much worse than me and conclude that I shouldn't do my bits.
There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire, the other is to gain it - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #110 on: Saturday 19 December 2009, 06:38:27 PM »

Define "problem" ? This thread is about global warming. If the problem is global warming, then you are wrong, cows are far worse than cars.

Cars are a necessity in our modern lives now. They are inevitable, unless we have an extremely comprehensive public transport coverage. In this sense cars are a necessary sin - undesirable, but inevitable - since we cannot dictate the public transport sytem by our own. Whereas anyone can easily avoid animal products in their food.

We all should do our bits to help save the world. Vote for the party that's friendliest to the environment. Cut down unnecessary consumeristic consumption. Avoid meat. Opt for more sustainable alternative.

Everyone's situation is different - some can afford to do more some can only do little. My life is far, far, far from sustainable / sinless, there are so many people out there who are doing better than me. Doesn't mean that I should just give up, doesn't mean that I should look at my neighbour who is doing much worse than me and conclude that I shouldn't do my bits.

Nobody will give up their cars. London could be flooded by the thames and people will still be jangling the key to their 4x4's in the pub.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #111 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 01:56:55 AM »
I know that methane has a bigger climatic forcing power than CO2, and yes cows like to fart alot. However you can make electric cars that dont give out CO2 (obviosuly power generation issues, but nuclear, carbon capture etc help/solve that), avoiding meat to reduce possible climatic changes is a bit silly, someone should invent a dvice that captures the methane from the cows really.

Offline Delima

• Cretin
  • General Member
« Reply #112 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 05:00:16 AM »
Nobody will give up their cars. London could be flooded by the thames and people will still be jangling the key to their 4x4's in the pub.

I understand that. That's why we need to find out cleaner/more sustainable alternatives.

Offline Delima

• Cretin
  • General Member
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 05:09:39 AM »
I know that methane has a bigger climatic forcing power than CO2, and yes cows like to fart alot. However you can make electric cars that dont give out CO2 (obviosuly power generation issues, but nuclear, carbon capture etc help/solve that), avoiding meat to reduce possible climatic changes is a bit silly, someone should invent a dvice that captures the methane from the cows really.

If you make all cars electric but continue to eat meat, you are not helping the cause meaningfully. The biggest and most significant pollutor remains.

It is not at all silly for us to avoid meat. Cars are much more a necessity than meat in our modern life. There are uncountable vegetarians/vegans who live a very modern life. It is not silly doing our bits to tackle global warming. There is simply no reason for human to eat animals anymore in general (discounting extreme examples).

Livestock industry is such a polluting industry. It consumes so much land and water. It is the chief cause of global warming. Deforestation, the chief cause of carbon release, is significantly demanded by livestock industry who need soyabean / corn supply. Why do animals have to die for your taste buds ? Have you seen a factory farm ? Does anyone's taste bud justify the murdering of others lifes ? Does anyone's taste bud justify animals being mutilated, castrated, raped, enslaved, prisoned etc ?

All because of someone's taste buds ?

Can I ask you to watch these documentaries ?

Offline Chrissy Bee

• Nee No Quarter
  • General Member
« Reply #114 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 10:21:25 AM »
I'd rather be dead than have to live on fruit, vegetables and pulses for all eternity. A great big medium-rare rib-eye steak is one of the best pleasures in life, I'd give up my car before meat.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #115 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 11:12:05 AM »
I'd rather be dead than have to live on fruit, vegetables and pulses for all eternity. A great big medium-rare rib-eye steak is one of the best pleasures in life, I'd give up my car before meat.

I agree. You can't beat meat. :nods:
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #116 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 11:12:09 AM »
So, no legally-binding treaty. America still insists on reducing its emissions from 2005 levels whereas the rest of the world settled, ages ago, on reducing it based on 1990 levels. It's not surprising that the Americans have chosen a higher threshold. We also don't have any medium term targets stated in the text (no 2050 emissions reduction target) and also no long term targets (no 80 year target). The Chinese also insisted on countries verifying its own emissions reduction with no independent verification allowed. And then you have the temperature limit not even set at a 2C increase; it merely says it 'ought' not to increase by more than 2C.

Wow, Copenhagen turned out to be f***ing useful, didn't it?

Offline Thespence

• General Member
  • Just asking questions
« Reply #117 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 11:13:36 AM »
Global Warming is so 90's.
It is all about climate change now.
All the greats wear 23: Michael Jordan, Shane Warne, David Beckham & Shola Ameobi

Offline Delima

• Cretin
  • General Member
« Reply #118 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 12:34:50 PM »

I agree. You can't beat meat. :nods:

Yeah, no wonder you ask me to deal with the fact that there will always be so many self-centered and selfish people dodging their responsibility. You are one of them selfish idiots.

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
« Reply #119 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 12:36:12 PM »
How is eating meat selfish?

Open your eyes and step into the real world, kthxbai.
Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.

Offline Delima

• Cretin
  • General Member
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 12:55:43 PM »

1. Livestock industry is the biggest culprit of global warming.
2. Livestock industry is one of the worst industries in terms of ecological destruction.
3. You are subjecting animals to disgusting living condition, subjecting them to livelong torture.
4. You are murdering them for your food.
5. Quite often meat consumption is detrimental to your health. And when you get diabetes, heart attack, high blood pressure, cancer etc - the country have to pay for you.

All because of your taste bud?

If this is not selfishness, what is ?
3. You are killing other sentient being for your tastebud.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 01:34:11 PM »

1. Livestock industry is the biggest culprit of global warming.
2. Livestock industry is one of the worst industries in terms of ecological destruction.
3. You are subjecting animals to disgusting living condition, subjecting them to livelong torture.
4. You are murdering them for your food.
5. Quite often meat consumption is detrimental to your health. And when you get diabetes, heart attack, high blood pressure, cancer etc - the country have to pay for you.

All because of your taste bud?

If this is not selfishness, what is ?
3. You are killing other sentient being for your tastebud.

Oh f***, you're absolutely right. I'd never thought of it that way before but now you've explained it, it's like a light going on in my head.

But wait a minute, what about the vegetables? What about their feelings?!!! Does anybody ever stop to think of their unbearable pain and suffering in the agricultural process?

Oh Christ NO!!!! :jesuswept:

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE VEGETABLES? !!!

:frantic:

Cretin.
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline Delima

• Cretin
  • General Member
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 01:51:38 PM »
Nice try GM

If you can find a sentient vegetable - let me know - so that I can avoid it.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 01:57:34 PM »
Nice try GM

If you can find a sentient vegetable - let me know - so that I can avoid it.

Err..GM? :cheesy:

Stephen927

« Reply #124 on: Sunday 20 December 2009, 02:30:09 PM »
Who cares, meat tastes good. I'm not going to be around when the world f***s up cos of my actions.